2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

I gotta be extremely careful not to snag my hair.
I get it! That's why I started buying those other ones. You know how the little buds on the end come off of bobby pins? I hate that and it snags. It doesn't happen with those dipped ones. Not so far. They're from conair.

Which reminds me I forgot to mention I bought the yellow bird blow dryer. I couldn't find the silver bird anywhere and that's the one I really wanted.

Having a bad hair day...I lost a few hairs combing through this dry mess...I can't seem to find the right products for my hair...and since being natural I hate wash day...:help:
Spray your hair with water first! I would only comb my hair on wash day. Ain't no way I would comb daily with my kinks and coils! Lol but mist the hair with water, then use your products. The products will provide softness, slip, and moisture. But if your hair is dry, it needs hydration (water).

I get it! That's why I started buying those other ones. You know how the little buds on the end come off of bobby pins? I hate that and it snags. It doesn't happen with those dipped ones. Not so far. They're from conair.

Which reminds me I forgot to mention I bought the yellow bird blow dryer. I couldn't find the silver bird anywhere and that's the one I really wanted.
You got a good dryer! Yeah I got those Bobby pins from the bbs. I gotta pay a little more for those conair ones!

So I am loving my hair! First of that yellow bird is the best thing ever!! I blow dried on what I think was high temp low speed. They aren't labeled and it took me a minute playing around with it to see which one would be good for me. Still kinda bugs me that they aren't labeled. Anyway other than that I love this dryer. My hair got so straight and it was really fast. Then I added the design essentials and I am telling you it reduced my flyaways by 75%. Only 75% because I was worried about using too much and weighing my hair down and ended up using too little. It was pretty obvious because the bottom of my hair has more flyaways than the top. So now I know for next time. All in all I am pretty happy with the results. Picture time.

Instasize_1224181719.jpg

Last edited:
So I am loving my hair! First of that yellow bird is the best thing ever!! I blow dried on what I think was high temp low speed. They aren't labeled and it took me a minute playing around with it to see which one would be good for me. Still kinda bugs me that they aren't labeled. Anyway other than that I love this dryer. My hair got so straight and it was really fast. Then I added the design essentials and I am telling you it reduced my flyaways by 75%. Only 75% because I was worried about using too much and weighing my hair down and ended up using too little. It was pretty obvious because the bottom of my hair has more flyaways than the top. So now I know for next time. All in all I am pretty happy with the results. Picture time.

View attachment 383311
I came in here looking for you! Lol
Your hair looks great! I'm glad the dryer and product worked so well for you!

I came in here looking for you! Lol
Your hair looks great! I'm glad the dryer and product worked so well for you!
Next time I'll use more product and I think it will be perfect. My hair is silky and bouncing all over the place. My mom came over and said my hair looks so soft. My hair never looks soft when I flat iron even though it usually is.

Happy Holidays ladies! I forgot to add a pic of my hair this morning after having it wrapped all night. Wrapping always ruins my style but I wanted it flatter. I threw in some hot rollers to style. The only reason I snapped these 2 pics was because my hair looked so different from yesterday just by wrapping it. I couldn't decide which pic was better and they probably look the same lol so I just posted both.

Instasize_1225225350.jpg

Happy Holidays ladies! I forgot to add a pic of my hair this morning after having it wrapped all night. Wrapping always ruins my style but I wanted it flatter. I threw in some hot rollers to style. The only reason I snapped these 2 pics was because my hair looked so different from yesterday just by wrapping it. I couldn't decide which pic was better and they probably look the same lol so I just posted both.

View attachment 383367
You got that hair smooth! Love the shine! Wrapping at this stage for me messes up my style too.

I've also realized that I can add an oil and my hair won't get that weighed down as long as I use very little. That helps in smoothing out my hair a little too I think. I tell you I am in love. I haven't thought my hair looked this good since the stylist I visited last December. And for once I feel like I can keep my hair for a full week. Styled and everything. I also think I'm going to get a new flat iron. I have a Chi Air Classic, an FHI platform (i think that's what it is) and a Con Air mini for the back which since it's grown in I don't need anymore. All of these snag my hair. I'm looking at a babyliss pro nano. What do you ladies think?

I keep coming in here and meaning to post and forget. I still have to post my starting picture, but I don't want y'all to judge me LOL. I washed my hair Saturday and had my mother braid it, I'm going to try to stick with protective styles.

@KammyGirl I have that flat iron, I really like it. I don't straighten my hair that often since going natural, but it gets it pretty straight.

I keep coming in here and meaning to post and forget. I still have to post my starting picture, but I don't want y'all to judge me LOL. I washed my hair Saturday and had my mother braid it, I'm going to try to stick with protective styles.

@KammyGirl I have that flat iron, I really like it. I don't straighten my hair that often since going natural, but it gets it pretty straight.
LOL No judgment here! We're all tryin to reach the same goal. And I've been trying for over a year now. *in my best cult like voice* Join us.

Does the flat iron snag? It could be my technique snagging I don't know but I want wider plates anyway.

LOL No judgment here! We're all tryin to reach the same goal. And I've been trying for over a year now. *in my best cult like voice* Join us.

Does the flat iron snag? It could be my technique snagging I don't know but I want wider plates anyway.

LOL, I'm definitely in, but my hair just looks a mess in every picture. It's uneven because I don't know how to trim properly and since I'd had it in a high bun for about a week, it wasn't laying completely flat.

No, it doesn't snag. I've had it for a couple of years and if it snags, it's because of something I'm doing. I use the comb chase method and that helps.

LOL, I'm definitely in, but my hair just looks a mess in every picture. It's uneven because I don't know how to trim properly and since I'd had it in a high bun for about a week, it wasn't laying completely flat.

No, it doesn't snag. I've had it for a couple of years and if it snags, it's because of something I'm doing. I use the comb chase method and that helps.
What length are you? Do you normally wear a high bun? I can't wait until I can do one.

I still haven't mastered the comb chase method without burning myself. Everyone else makes it look so easy.

What length are you? Do you normally wear a high bun? I can't wait until I can do one.

I still haven't mastered the comb chase method without burning myself. Everyone else makes it look so easy.

I haven't really mastered it either, but I just keep at it. I know I'll get it down eventually. I'm about neck length, but some parts are shoulder length. This was my first time wearing a high bun in a while because I cut at least an inch and a half this year. But I didn't cut it evenly at all so there are at least two or three different lengths.

I've also realized that I can add an oil and my hair won't get that weighed down as long as I use very little. That helps in smoothing out my hair a little too I think. I tell you I am in love. I haven't thought my hair looked this good since the stylist I visited last December. And for once I feel like I can keep my hair for a full week. Styled and everything. I also think I'm going to get a new flat iron. I have a Chi Air Classic, an FHI platform (i think that's what it is) and a Con Air mini for the back which since it's grown in I don't need anymore. All of these snag my hair. I'm looking at a babyliss pro nano. What do you ladies think?
That flat iron may be the trick. I got a Croc nano that I use from time to time. I'm glad you are enjoying your hair! That's what it's about! That's why I straighten it once a week. I am neck length and I got a lot of new growth. Even if I have one good hair day a week, that's enough for me.

No judgement! Girl I posted my big old bald spot a few years back and my chewed up crown! Something literally was just jacking up my scalp!

T

View attachment 383367
That's a cute cut.

The only reason I would judge yup if you posted a picture of your hair and you were already APL. :lol: No one in here is going to judge you.:nono:

The only reason I would judge yup if you posted a picture of your hair and you were already APL. :lol: No one in here is going to judge you.:nono:

I know, I'm just being so silly. :) But I'm far from APL. I used to be between APL and BSL when I was relaxed. *Sings wistfully* "Those were the days." LOL.

I didn't realize my pic actually uploaded! It seemed like it was taking forever. Pardon the dirty mirror.

Attachments

• DSC01139.jpg
    DSC01139.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
You aren't that far away. A lot of growth can happen in a year. We are glad to have you.

Thank you! Some parts of the front are already there, but I'm shooting for full SL all the way around. I have to take better care of it and might need to start enlisting my DH's or sister's help when it comes to trim or find a salon that won't charge an arm and a leg for one.

my hair has been in a terrible state the past few days. dry and tangly. i decided to wash my hair with a shampoo bar from chagrin valley. another poster in the 22nd century natural women thread said that the shampoo bars made her hair stop breaking. i've been getting a lot of small broken hairs whenever i touch my hair. i don't have 22nd century natural bars, so I just used what i have and i was pleased. i washed twice. my hair wasn't too dried out and it didn't leave my hair tangled or rough like most shampoos. it was easy to run my fingers through my hair. i deep conditioned with the sm manuka honey mask. my hair likes shea moisture deep conditioners. not sure if it just really likes shea butter or what, but the conditioner left my hair hydrated, fortified and soft. And also super curly.

i added the sm lp leave in and sealed with curl enhancing smoothie. it was a lot of product, but the youtuber, 1bllerina, talked about how sealing her hair with a natural product like shea butter vs something with silicones got rid of those tiny pieces of hair breaking off. Hoping for the same results.

Plan on deep conditioning twice a week and only using my shampoo bars for the next month or so.

Back