2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

my hair has been in a terrible state the past few days. dry and tangly. i decided to wash my hair with a shampoo bar from chagrin valley. another poster in the 22nd century natural women thread said that the shampoo bars made her hair stop breaking. i've been getting a lot of small broken hairs whenever i touch my hair. i don't have 22nd century natural bars, so I just used what i have and i was pleased. i washed twice. my hair wasn't too dried out and it didn't leave my hair tangled or rough like most shampoos. it was easy to run my fingers through my hair. i deep conditioned with the sm manuka honey mask. my hair likes shea moisture deep conditioners. not sure if it just really likes shea butter or what, but the conditioner left my hair hydrated, fortified and soft. And also super curly.

i added the sm lp leave in and sealed with curl enhancing smoothie. it was a lot of product, but the youtuber, 1bllerina, talked about how sealing her hair with a natural product like shea butter vs something with silicones got rid of those tiny pieces of hair breaking off. Hoping for the same results.

Plan on deep conditioning twice a week and only using my shampoo bars for the next month or so.
I think dc'ing will help and using an oil or butter will work too. Serums/shine sprays are great for smoothing and adding shine, but I agree it can't be used daily.

@KammyGirl got me itching for some Design Essentials! I thought I calmed the PJ beast! But it's a good line, so if I fall off of the wagon, I'll be in good hands!

I'm currently 11 weeks post. If I don't relax within the next 3 weeks, I won't have a fresh relaxer for my birthday! lol so in order to get through this stretch, I gotta be extremely careful during wash day.

I saw myself using a lot of detangling spray last wash day and i don't want to have to use that much again. I deep conditioned, but there was no slip. I know it was the water.
So I have no choice, but to get a filter. And I will make sure I do an oil treatment prior to me washing my hair. I got two knots that I had to work through, so now I gotta make i section my hair off, and finger detangle to remove shed hairs.

I would like to try a hair mask, but I don't know if any that is for moisture and I don't feel like going down the rabbit hole to find out!

Oh and I'm going back to using heat. I will just put my hair up. I'm not gonna roller set again until April. I can't do too much combing when my hair is wet.

I guess it was easier...to deal with..
This time around was the styling aspect that I wasn't feeling. I didn't wanna wear natural hairstyles. I wanted to be a straight haired natural, but it was too hot for that at the time. I was becoming lazy.

I say do whatever makes you feel better, but remember the length stage that you are in right now. It's still tough being relaxed, or natural. Relaxed heads get in trouble at this stage, due to limiting styling options. They use too much heat and comb too much.

This time around was the styling aspect that I wasn't feeling. I didn't wanna wear natural hairstyles. I wanted to be a straight haired natural, but it was too hot for that at the time. I was becoming lazy.

I say do whatever makes you feel better, but remember the length stage that you are in right now. It's still tough being relaxed, or natural. Relaxed heads get in trouble at this stage, due to limiting styling options. They use too much heat and comb too much.
:) I know...I guess I'll get through it ..

@KammyGirl
Ain't no more Silk Essentials! They have that spray now...smh And I got myself some Christmas present products! Lol I got the oat protein shampoo, the Moisture rentention shampoo, the stimulating conditioner, the HCO spray, and that shine spray stuff. I didn't even get a shower filter smh... I had to spend that on the cable bill....I got a couple of other things too. JC Penney has a sale on DE, but I don't know if it's just online and I'm too thirsty after seeing your bling outed hair to wait! Lol

@KammyGirl
Ain't no more Silk Essentials! They have that spray now...smh And I got myself some Christmas present products! Lol I got the oat protein shampoo, the Moisture rentention shampoo, the stimulating conditioner, the HCO spray, and that shine spray stuff. I didn't even get a shower filter smh... I had to spend that on the cable bill....I got a couple of other things too. JC Penney has a sale on DE, but I don't know if it's just online and I'm too thirsty after seeing your bling outed hair to wait! Lol
Hold up! No more silk essentials?! Like discontinued or just none at store? I can't live without this stuff now that I've found it. Gives you great shine and smells wonderful!

Hold up! No more silk essentials?! Like discontinued or just none at store? I can't live without this stuff now that I've found it. Gives you great shine and smells wonderful!
Let me check the site, but all of the major stores don't carry it anymore. That spray is what is used now.

Let me check the site, but all of the major stores don't carry it anymore. That spray is what is used now.
It's still on the site. That's where I went to make sure I bought the right thing. But the beauty supply I go to only had 3 on the shelf. Now I'm wondering if I should have snatched those up too. Can you post the spray? I wonder how it compares.

@shortdub78 is it that bamboo and silk spray? I was looking at that as a back up for my it's a 10 miracle leave in with keratin. The price is hurting me right now. I use it way too much now and run out way too fast.

@shortdub78 is it that bamboo and silk spray? I was looking at that as a back up for my it's a 10 miracle leave in with keratin. The price is hurting me right now. I use it way too much now and run out way too fast.
I will take a pic and show you what I got. That silk reflections spray was $20! It better have my hair blingin! Lol
@KammyGirl

Attachments

• IMG_7601.JPG
    IMG_7601.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I don't think I want to straighten my hair or use any heat on it at all for 2017. For health reasons and also because the more I get to know my hair the less I want to change it. When I am unhappy with my hair, I want to kill it with heat, when I am happy with my hair I let it be.

I'm glad I decided to start wearing wigs. It's taken the stress out of haircare for me and is allowing me to get to know my hair. I wasn't feeling the straight hair anymore, so I just bought this 4c half wig from outre that I saw on youtube. I hope I love it. To be honest, I sometimes feel like my features are too large for straight hair.

@KammyGirl
I used the products and I they are great! The HCO spray is part of my holy grail squad. I really dig the reflections spray. It's very light. It's the lightest finishing spray I have ever used. I used it before I had flat ironed my hair and sprayed after. I also used the conditioner and shampoo. I will give a review on those Sunday. I relaxed this evening and used ORS creamy aloe and Aphogee 2 min following the relaxing process.

Back