2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

Thanks! I was trying to do an alternative mhm where I shampooed and clayed everyday for a week. The clay makes my hair amazing, but one I night I added ACV to my mix and slept with it on and after that my hair started to feel rough. I shampooed and deep conditioned, but I still have the coarser, dryer hair.

I don't think I should have added ACV or slept with it on and I think I should stick to washing just once a week. Do you know what I can do to get rid of the rough strands? This is how my hair felt when I was using sulfates and silicones and cowashing frequently.
Ok that makes sense. The ACV was probably ok but not sleeping in it. Some people can. I leave clay on up to 4 hours but I wouldn't do an overnight unless I had tested it out during the day.

I believe your hair will bounce back just give it a few deep conditioning sessions.

Thanks! I was trying to do an alternative mhm where I shampooed and clayed everyday for a week. The clay makes my hair amazing, but one I night I added ACV to my mix and slept with it on and after that my hair started to feel rough. I shampooed and deep conditioned, but I still have the coarser, dryer hair.

I don't think I should have added ACV or slept with it on and I think I should stick to washing just once a week. Do you know what I can do to get rid of the rough strands? This is how my hair felt when I was using sulfates and silicones and cowashing frequently.
The every day mud of mhm is just the first week but there were some other steps that needed to be included which I didn't see you mention.

Ahh the ACV overnight probably did you in. When my hair is feeling rough (not a dry feeling but just kinda weird) I usually clarify and dc. But if you're doing a modified mhm @faithVA can help. Like she said I know there are other steps that are supposed to get you some seriously hydrated strands. I'm not very familiar with them.

My hair feels soft and sexy! lol I rinsed out the conditioner today. I took the plastic cap off last night and put my scarf on, so my hair wouldn't get moisture overload. I rinsed in cool water, tee shirt dried, applied leave-ins, detangled, applied some wrap foam to my hairline to help it lay flat, tied my scarf around, blew my hair on cool, and now allowing it to finish out air drying.
I will clip it up once it's totally dry. I will probably cowash Saturday, Sunday.
I got a feeling I have new growth popping through, but I can't tell, due to the texlaxed roots.

First Twist Out Jan 13 2017.jpg

I've always been too afraid too post pictures of my hair, but I believe that it is important for me to start documenting and sharing especially since I am the one who started the thread...lol.

Okay, here is my first twist out ever. I didn't intend to do a twistout. Put my hair in twists last night and just wanted to take them out to see what they would look like. Not too impressed. But I think it would be cool to do length shots via twists outs, since I don't want to use heat on my hair this year.

Oh, and my hair looks really short but the sides stretched are just nearly hitting my shoulders and the nape is growing past my shoulders. The front is somewhere around nose.

I'm creating a new regimen. I think I want to wash every two weeks, alternating between clay and shampoo. Deep condition after each wash. Set my hair in twists.

Attachments

• First Twist Out Jan 13 2017.jpg
    First Twist Out Jan 13 2017.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
@beingofserenity what did you use to twist with? You got great definition. Mine don't look like that at all. My twists and twist outs are the definition of struggle twists. They don't even look curled or defined after putting a roller on them. And it isn't heat damage doing me in because my hair curls perfectly on the ends when it's wet. I'm going to see if I can experiment.

@beingofserenity what did you use to twist with? You got great definition. Mine don't look like that at all. My twists and twist outs are the definition of struggle twists. They don't even look curled or defined after putting a roller on them. And it isn't heat damage doing me in because my hair curls perfectly on the ends when it's wet. I'm going to see if I can experiment.

Honestly, I'm not sure what did it because I used a couple different things. Primarily shea moisture products. I used two different leave-ins and I put a litle bit of the SM curl enhancing smoothie on some of the twists before twisting. And I sealed the ends with the elasta qp edge control so that they wouldn't unravel or look bushy. works better for me than grease because there's water in it. I feel like the way I twist makes more of a difference than what I used though.

Honestly, I'm not sure what did it because I used a couple different things. Primarily shea moisture products. I used two different leave-ins and I put a litle bit of the SM curl enhancing smoothie on some of the twists before twisting. And I sealed the ends with the elasta qp edge control so that they wouldn't unravel or look bushy. works better for me than grease because there's water in it. I feel like the way I twist makes more of a difference than what I used though.
Your hair looks great! Nonie taught me about different twisting methods.

View attachment 385721

I've always been too afraid too post pictures of my hair, but I believe that it is important for me to start documenting and sharing especially since I am the one who started the thread...lol.

Okay, here is my first twist out ever. I didn't intend to do a twistout. Put my hair in twists last night and just wanted to take them out to see what they would look like. Not too impressed. But I think it would be cool to do length shots via twists outs, since I don't want to use heat on my hair this year.

Oh, and my hair looks really short but the sides stretched are just nearly hitting my shoulders and the nape is growing past my shoulders. The front is somewhere around nose.

I'm creating a new regimen. I think I want to wash every two weeks, alternating between clay and shampoo. Deep condition after each wash. Set my hair in twists.
I think it looks really nice and it is quite defined. I have that amazing shrinkage as well. It just goes with the territory. The positive side is that your twistout will probably last quite a while.

Shampooed, DCd, Mudwashed, Applied Color and now sitting under the dryer with a rollerset. I think I may have figured out my color application process. I do it after the mudwash and I mix 1 Tbsp of color for every 4 T of conditioner. Last time I used too much conditioner. Now I want to see if I can apply the color on dry hair. If so it would save me a lot of time :yep:

Okay so I can't do the dye thing as I have indigo in my hair and I read it will turn green. So yeah, lol. I guess I have to stick to measuring and stretching. I just thought it would be cool to have that constant visual reminder of my hair growth, especially if it's not retaining the growth. Like if my hair is saying "hey, I'm doing my part. That's your fault" lol.

Okay so I can't do the dye thing as I have indigo in my hair and I read it will turn green. So yeah, lol. I guess I have to stick to measuring and stretching. I just thought it would be cool to have that constant visual reminder of my hair growth, especially if it's not retaining the growth. Like if my hair is saying "hey, I'm doing my part. That's your fault" lol.

Well the next time you do indigo, find a section and don't apply it to the new growth of that section. You do henna first right? Maybe just do henna in that section but leave the indigo off. Will that work?

Well the next time you do indigo, find a section and don't apply it to the new growth of that section. You do henna first right? Maybe just do henna in that section but leave the indigo off. Will that work?

I actually don't do indigo anymore. I decided it was easier to keep my hair brown, so now I just do henna. I wonder if it's worn off by now. But if I'm wrong i'll have green hair until it grows out. They said it can't be covered.:D

I actually don't do indigo anymore. I decided it was easier to keep my hair brown, so now I just do henna. I wonder if it's worn off by now. But if I'm wrong i'll have green hair until it grows out. They said it can't be covered.:D

Why not try a little color on the ends of a small section somewhere. That way you will know if it works. If not it will be hidden.

Why not try a little color on the ends of a small section somewhere. That way you will know if it works. If not it will be hidden.
Oh yeah, that's perfect! If I just do it on the ends, I could cut it off, if it comes out strange. Thank you!

The last 2 washes I've lost what looks to me like a lot of hair. I'm not sure if something is wrong or if it's because I've been detangling differently. I used my denman again this time and I'm thinking maybe I haven't been getting all the shed hairs when I detangled before. When I do a final comb through at the end of the wash there's no more hair in the denman so I'm guessing it seems about right. But it still looks like a lot to me.

The last 2 washes I've lost what looks to me like a lot of hair. I'm not sure if something is wrong or if it's because I've been detangling differently. I used my denman again this time and I'm thinking maybe I haven't been getting all the shed hairs when I detangled before. When I do a final comb through at the end of the wash there's no more hair in the denman so I'm guessing it seems about right. But it still looks like a lot to me.

It sounds like you just weren't getting alll the she hairs out. We supposedly shed 100 strands of hair a day which sounds obscene, but I'm sure you're shedding somewhere within that realm. If it seems like it's getting worse, there was a thread where a lot of people added a teaspoon of garlic powder to their conditioner to stop the shedding. Maybe that might help?

I waited 5 days to wash my hair again.

Mixed rassoul clay and slippery elm powder with water. Only left clay on for as long as it took to be applied to the hair and to shower. Currently deep conditioning with a mix a SM manuka honey and hemp oil.

Clay left my hair feeling a tad dry, but it really, really, really, reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly makes a difference in the managibility of my hair. It significantly decreases tangles. I can separate and part through my hair easily. And my hair doesn't draw up into an dense puff when I use it. So, it reduces the bulk.

Update on me: I am currently in a kinky straight weave with a little sliver of leave out. I keep it simple and wash/DC 1-2x a week, depending on how hard I have worked out. For example, I just led a cardio camp class and even tho I just washed on Saturday, my hair is in shambles :lol: so I'm gonna wash blow dry and wand curl for work tomorrow.

No complaints yet.

So the products I am using are:
L'Oréal keratin shampoo and conditioner that was on sale and really smooths out the kinky straight. I will dilute some shampoo in a spray bottle to get to my scalp and braids under the weave.
Lazy in-shower DC with Shea Moisture Manuka honey mask
Paul Mitchell super skinny serum to blow dry-this really makes the hair very sleek.

Oil up my scalp with the mane choice growth oil and take my vitamins. I might snap a pic of my wand curls if it turns out right :lol:

I waited 5 days to wash my hair again.

Mixed rassoul clay and slippery elm powder with water. Only left clay on for as long as it took to be applied to the hair and to shower. Currently deep conditioning with a mix a SM manuka honey and hemp oil.

Clay left my hair feeling a tad dry, but it really, really, really, reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly makes a difference in the managibility of my hair. It significantly decreases tangles. I can separate and part through my hair easily. And my hair doesn't draw up into an dense puff when I use it. So, it reduces the bulk.
It may be the cay but it could also be the slippery elm. Have you tried other ingredients with the clay?

What is your scalp looking like?

It sounds like you just weren't getting alll the she hairs out. We supposedly shed 100 strands of hair a day which sounds obscene, but I'm sure you're shedding somewhere within that realm. If it seems like it's getting worse, there was a thread where a lot of people added a teaspoon of garlic powder to their conditioner to stop the shedding. Maybe that might help?
I'm going to wait until the next wash and see if it's the same. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything adding garlic to my conditioner. I was supposed to do that ages ago but I can't ever really remember to do it when wash day rolls around.

What is your scalp looking like?
Scalp is looking good. Not itchy or anything - no more than usual I mean. It was sore a while ago but that comes and goes and I still haven't figured out what makes it happen.

I'm going to start clay washing. What brand do you guys recommend. I used to use the Aztec secret bentonite clay on my face. It says something about deep poor cleansing so I'm not sure if it was meant to be multipurpose, but the only ingredient is 100% natural calcium bentonite (green) clay so idk.

I'm going to start clay washing. What brand do you guys recommend. I used to use the Aztec secret bentonite clay on my face. It says something about deep poor cleansing so I'm not sure if it was meant to be multipurpose, but the only ingredient is 100% natural calcium bentonite (green) clay so idk.
It can be a bit drying for some hair. I use rhassoul but I order it online from butters and bars.

You can try the Aztec and doctor it with honey oils and other moisturizing type things.

I washed my hair in sections yesterday, DCed with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque under plastic caps for about 20 minutes and then banded my hair. It came out OK but I didn't get a chance to style it because it took forever to put my son to sleep. Hoping he will go to sleep early tonight so I can either braid or twist it.

Back