2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

I finally found one of those goody ouch less barrettes at target! I should have purchased two. It was a tight squeeze getting all of my stretched hair in, so I know this wouldn't work on my curly hair. Used the barrette and two spin pins to create a loose low bun.

image-367955087.jpg

image-2842534410.jpg

Cleansed, steamed and braided up for the week...well until Tuesday. I have a meeting on Wed and gotta have a fresh roller set for that. We are making Valentine's dinner at home as a family tomorrow so no need to look cute for that. lol

I've had a lot of changes in the last month. I started a new job and I moved into a new apartment. Life's been wild, but I did manage to leave my hair in plaits the entire time.

It wasn't nearly as gross as I thought it would be (I didn't wash my hair for three weeks), and when I finally took my hair down, it was just past my shoulders when before it was just sitting on top. I find that miraculous.

I'm probably going to find someone to give me a nice trim this weekend, and then get back to regular hair maintenance now that I'm settled. I like wearing the plaits. I don't have the patience for twists right now, and wet bunning it out of the question in this weather, so plaits it is! :)

I finally found one of those goody ouch less barrettes at target! I should have purchased two. It was a tight squeeze getting all of my stretched hair in, so I know this wouldn't work on my curly hair. Used the barrette and two spin pins to create a loose low bun.

Child, how do you use them thangs? I couldn't understand how to put em in. toaster Nice bun btw.

prettybyrd Congrats on the new job, apartment, and length!! I'm glad the plaits are working out for you!

Froreal3 I was kind of confused as well. I just gathered my hair like I was making a ponytail, opened the barrette, and closed it around my hair. It has a nice grip without pulling my hair. I like it! Going to see how it works for a high bun tonight. I think they stopped making them, which is why I can't find them anywhere. But I'll be sure to snag one if I find them while I'm out.

I just bought 3 more of the Goody Ouchless Barrettes on Amazon for $14. I don't know if they make them anymore because I didn't see them at Walmart or Target today. Either way I love this thing. It makes good ponytails that are good bases for buns. It doesn't pull or snag, either. It's a bit of a tight fit, but it expands to hold my hair pretty well. :love:

I just bought 3 more of the Goody Ouchless Barrettes on Amazon for $14. I don't know if they make them anymore because I didn't see them at Walmart or Target today. Either way I love this thing. It makes good ponytails that are good bases for buns. It doesn't pull or snag, either. It's a bit of a tight fit, but it expands to hold my hair pretty well. :love:

I tried the barrette again. That thing didn't wanna stay in my hair. I get a lot of Goody stuff for free, so I am not mad. If I would have bought them, I'd be pissed!

Anyway, here's my bun at the end of the day.

ForumRunner_20140214_171821.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_171828.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Pretty bun Froreal3

I definitely think the barrette would only work on stretched hair, it's no match for natural hair.

I like how you left some twists in the front. I need to work on creating fringe.

Pretty bun Froreal3

I definitely think the barrette would only work on stretched hair, it's no match for natural hair.

I like how you left some twists in the front. I need to work on creating fringe.

Thanks. The front of my hair can't stretch all the way to the back without popping out. I have layers, so I usually leave my front out in some way unless I cornrow or flat twist it to attach to the rest of the hair.

Washed my hair Saturday and threw in some large twists to stretch. Too lazy to do a rollerset. I will keep them in for a week.

I've been doing a braid out bun for the past two weeks instead of my usual blow dry and flat iron. My ends seem to be doing fine. I'm sealing them with castor oil to prevent knots. Not sure when I'll straighten again.

I'm going to start taking my hair down at night and sleeping with it in two twists under my bonnet. I worry that sleeping in my bun will cause too much stress, plus I get a better sleep when my hair isn't pulled up.

I've been so busy showing off with my roller sets that I forgot to post that I'm back in my twin braids.

I read the Natural Oasis thread and went and bought some of the hair grease. And I love it! My hair is soft again its shiny it's not super oily I love it. twin braids for the week!

My braid outs were cute, but led to more tangles. Last week I blow dried but didn't flat iron. Not sure how I will style this week.

I hope I'm not too late, I got too tired wearing my hair out so I figured I'll try this challenge out for a spell.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
Loose twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
wash monthly
stretch with curlformers
install twists
moisturize and style as needed
keep in for 3-4 weeks.
Rinse and repeat

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
better length retention and less breakage

5. When and how will you restyle your hair?
will restyle a couple days after taking last style out in the form of loose twists.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one).
attached hovering at the end of BSL currently

Attachments

• IMG_20140226_224449.jpg
    IMG_20140226_224449.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 76
It's never too late Fhrizzball! Welcome!

Your hair is beautiful! How long have you been washing once a month? Did it take a while to get used to that schedule?

It's never too late @Fhrizzball! Welcome!

Your hair is beautiful! How long have you been washing once a month? Did it take a while to get used to that schedule?

Well this will be my first time trying to have my loose twists last this long. Usually I get impatient at the 2/3 week mark. My regular minitwists(which I vow to never do again after a disastrous hair washing/take down session) easily last one month. I find that threading/banding and wrapping long term twists really helps with helping a style last so if I keep up with that, I should hopefully be fine.

Wash day. Style for the week.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140302_142143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140302_142143.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 76
I'm still lurking ladies! You guys are doing great! I may be ready to officially join this thing. I just don't feel like my hair is budging anymore, I'm getting ready to put in some twists now. Great job, loving all the buns and twisties!

ETA: I can't remember who it was that is keeping their hair in two braids and steaming in moisture in the middle of the week but that is like the greatest idea I've ever heard! Since I'm so into french braiding my hair, gawd I wish I had a steamer!:lol:

I'm still lurking ladies! You guys are doing great! I may be ready to officially join this thing. I just don't feel like my hair is budging anymore, I'm getting ready to put in some twists now. Great job, loving all the buns and twisties! ETA: I can't remember who it was that is keeping their hair in two braids and steaming in moisture in the middle of the week but that is like the greatest idea I've ever heard! Since I'm so into french braiding my hair, gawd I wish I had a steamer!:lol:

I believe that was me. Speaking of which (see next post)

I've only worn my hair down twice since I washed last week...the rest of the week it was either wrapped up or in a low bantu bun. I was so tired of the weather being funky and not letting me enjoy my hair so I doused it with coconut oil, put it in 2 braids and sat under my steamer. I will wear the braids until my wash day next week..either Wednesday or Thursday.

Pic is the low bantu bun I've been wearing. Nothing fancy

Last edited:
Well if Ima post pichas, I may as well join!!! :lachen:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Primarily twists...in a bun...:look: but I also do french braids too.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Usually when my hair is loose (mostly bunned and in a beanie cap), I...
  • Deep condition on dry hair and detangle
  • Shampoo then lightly recondition with some suave naturals conditioner
  • Moisturize, seal, and scalp massage
  • Underneath satin cap and (if I go anywhere) I toss on my beanie cap....so LAZY lol

Now that I'm trying to get back into my twisting routine again, I don't really know how often I'll wash or if I even WILL wash but this is what I'm gonna start off doing for now and since I get so set in my ways, it's more than likely to stick. :lachen:

• Same wash day routine as loose hair regimen. Only thing is depending on how long I keep them in, wash day may still be weekly, bi-weekly, or even monthly. It just depends...normally I can't go more than 10 days but we'll see...
  • I moisturize my hair heavily and it retains it very well, so I normally don't re-moisturize everyday. When I do, I spritz my ends with water, apply leave in to my ends, then my oil, and possibly avocado butter (or a cream styler) if I prefer. Normally I don't need to go another level beyond the oil. I'll probably do this like every 3 or 4 days.
  • Oil and massage scalp nightly. This helps me so much with buildup ironically and gives me good growth stimulation.
  • That's it...

I do protein treatments with Organics Hair Mayonnaise on a monthly basis (Try to keep it on the first wash day of the month). And besides that, that's pretty much it. Pretty simple.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Au naturalle baby!!!! :grin:

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope to come out of my style laziness for one. The ease of covering my hair with hats and scarves has SPOILED ME. :lachen: I also really need to crack down on my PS-ing again. Trying to make waist length this year so I can finally start working on TBL!!!! :lick: And also, I need to work on separating *protective style* from *yarn braids* this year. Yarn braids REALLY spoiled me 2013. :look:

5. When and how will you restyle your hair? Umm, hopefully every 2 weeks. If I EVER do my smaller mini-er twists, then probably a month. I'll probably continue to twist my hair but look for the occasional french braid, bunning, and flat twisting phases. :lol:

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one). This was taken like a week ago I believe. It still counts...

Feb14Back-vi.png

These are my twists. After a protein treatment and shampooing and detangling last night, deep conditioning overnight and rinsing this morning, moisturizing/sealing/scalp massage followed by airdrying for a few hours. I then put in these twists using Shea Moisture's Shea Butter Masque Treatment. :grin:

GEDC2115-vi.jpg

GEDC2116-vi.jpg

GEDC2123-vi.jpg

GEDC2128-vi.jpg

Hopefully these babies will last me two weeks, but we'll see how far I get by without a wash day. :ohwell:

Back