2010 Sulfur Challenge

I was too tired last night to apply.

I haven't been smelling the sulfur ever since I stopped using heat.:yep: Yesterday it was kinda cool out and I just had a frozen coolatta so I turned the heat on in the car. Unbelievably, I started smelling the sulfur that quick just from the heat blowing on my hair.

I read somewhere about heat causing the sulfur to smell....... My brain starts working overtime........here come the light bulbs......

I wonder if heat actually ACTIVATES the sulfur more???? Or could it make it weaker???

Hmmmm........ Off to research :look:

I wish I would have paid attention more in Chemistry class :ohwell:

I couldn't find anything about whether sulfur is stronger or weaker after it's heated. The jargon is just waaay over my head to figure it out.

But I did find out that Sulfur itself is heated and the vapors develop into Flowers of Sulfur.

"At 444oC, sulphur begins to boil giving off light yellowish orange vapors. When the vapor are cooled, they solidify to form a Yellow powder of flowers of sulphur."

Taken from the link below.

http://www.tutorvista.com/content/chemistry/chemistry-i/oxygen-and-sulphur/heat-on-sulphur.php

Hello my fellow oily mamas. I shared a part of my reggie with Grow that I thought might be useful to all.

When I first heard the differences in lye and no-lye relaxers was one was better for the hair and the other was better for the scalp that got me to treating my scalp and my hair differently instead of one. Along those lines, I make sure that I take care of my strands for retention and have to give extra care to my scalp because I keep it covered in my mixture. I worry about my scalp getting buildup and not being able to breathe properly or allow maximum penetration of any new applications of my mix. So, where I might clarify my hair monthly, I clarify my scalp every week or two, depending on how heavily I keep my scalp covered. So my tip is regarding clarifying the scalp only.

To clarify my scalp without stripping the strands, I generously cover my strands with oil, as tho I'm going to do an oil rinse. I suppose you could also cover it with conditioner, as well. But I use this time to give myself an oil rinse. Then, in the shower, I apply clarifying shampoo to my fingertips and massage directly on my scalp, massaging well (Ahhh...a good old scalp massage). Then, I use I use my fingers to part my hair down the middle, pull each side of my hair up and outward (like handle bars from my head) and put my head under the shower to rinse the poo from my hair without a lot of run off down my strands. (no problem if it does tho because my strands are pre-oiled and the rinse off would only start stripping the added oils, not the natural oils in my hair). Then after I've rinsed well, I release my hair, warm up the water and allow the hot water to rinse down my oiled hair, like a normal oil rinse. After that rinse, I cool down the water and rinse in that and voila! I'm done.

Moisturized strands and a fresh scalp with clean pores. If you use conditioner instead, it would be cowashed hair with a fresh clean scalp. Or, you can cowash, then oil the strands and precede with clarifying the scalp and have cowashed, sealed hair and a fresh scalp with clean pores.

I don't worry about my scalp drying out from clarifying like this because, obviously we're replenishing with topical oils. The main point is to keep the scalp as healthy as possible so that our hair grows freely. :yep:

Just wanted to share.

Holy snikes!!! I ordered my Bee Mine on Thursday and I just got notification that its being shipped out today!!!! :yep: :yep: :yep:

Hello my fellow oily mamas. I shared a part of my reggie with Grow that I thought might be useful to all.

When I first heard the differences in lye and no-lye relaxers was one was better for the hair and the other was better for the scalp that got me to treating my scalp and my hair differently instead of one. Along those lines, I make sure that I take care of my strands for retention and have to give extra care to my scalp because I keep it covered in my mixture. I worry about my scalp getting buildup and not being able to breathe properly or allow maximum penetration of any new applications of my mix. So, where I might clarify my hair monthly, I clarify my scalp every week or two, depending on how heavily I keep my scalp covered. So my tip is regarding clarifying the scalp only.

To clarify my scalp without stripping the strands, I generously cover my strands with oil, as tho I'm going to do an oil rinse. I suppose you could also cover it with conditioner, as well. But I use this time to give myself an oil rinse. Then, in the shower, I apply clarifying shampoo to my fingertips and massage directly on my scalp, massaging well (Ahhh...a good old scalp massage). Then, I use I use my fingers to part my hair down the middle, pull each side of my hair up and outward (like handle bars from my head) and put my head under the shower to rinse the poo from my hair without a lot of run off down my strands. (no problem if it does tho because my strands are pre-oiled and the rinse off would only start stripping the added oils, not the natural oils in my hair). Then after I've rinsed well, I release my hair, warm up the water and allow the hot water to rinse down my oiled hair, like a normal oil rinse. After that rinse, I cool down the water and rinse in that and voila! I'm done.

Moisturized strands and a fresh scalp with clean pores. If you use conditioner instead, it would be cowashed hair with a fresh clean scalp. Or, you can cowash, then oil the strands and precede with clarifying the scalp and have cowashed, sealed hair and a fresh scalp with clean pores.

I don't worry about my scalp drying out from clarifying like this because, obviously we're replenishing with topical oils. The main point is to keep the scalp as healthy as possible so that our hair grows freely. :yep:

Just wanted to share.

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing....

Holy snikes!!! I ordered my Bee Mine on Thursday and I just got notification that its being shipped out today!!!! :yep: :yep: :yep:

I told you she is on point. Her customer service stood out to me.

I've been applying my Claudie's Scalp Elixir 3-5 times a week followed by a 5 minute scalp massage since my bc on 7/3. I plan to measure tomorrow. I need to bring my ruler from work home bc the tape measure just ain't getting it :nono:. It keeps folding over, etc.

Applied the last of my BM serum last night from the sample bottle. preparing for the arrival of the big bottle and I can't wait. Anyone else gets the itchies and creepie crawlies after applying the sulfur products or is it just me??

So ya'll know I'm doing this thing everyday to see how it works. Yesterday was only day two but yes NikkiQ I def got the crawlies last night. I kept asking my boyfriend if there was a bug in my head. Very annoying lol But it doesnt happen right after I apply it. I had applied it Sunday night and I got the crawlies last night before I applied again. Hope that means its growin lol

So ya'll know I'm doing this thing everyday to see how it works. Yesterday was only day two but yes NikkiQ I def got the crawlies last night. I kept asking my boyfriend if there was a bug in my head. Very annoying lol But it doesnt happen right after I apply it. I had applied it Sunday night and I got the crawlies last night before I applied again. Hope that means its growin lol

with all that nice and thick hair, it might just take a little longer to start crawlin than it does for us average folks :lachen:

Hi Ladies,

I have been stalking this thread for about 2 weeks and unofficially joined last week when my sulphur was delivered. I have made a mix of EVCO EVOO Castor Oil Peppermint Oil and Sulphur!

I applied on Sunday for the first time and again last night. I am now sitting here at work smelling like sulphur :-S Its a good thing I work in a cubicle far enough from other people that they dont start asking questions about my personal hygene!

Anywho, just thought I would poke my head in and say HI!! because I finally decided to subscribe! Can't wait to get my growth on!!! :-D

Hi Ladies,

I have been stalking this thread for about 2 weeks and unofficially joined last week when my sulphur was delivered. I have made a mix of EVCO EVOO Castor Oil Peppermint Oil and Sulphur!

I applied on Sunday for the first time and again last night. I am now sitting here at work smelling like sulphur :-S Its a good thing I work in a cubicle far enough from other people that they dont start asking questions about my personal hygene!

Anywho, just thought I would poke my head in and say HI!! because I finally decided to subscribe! Can't wait to get my growth on!!! :-D

Hey babyt87! Good luck with "gettin your growth on!!!" LOL

My hair feels soooo soft from my oil mix I don't even want to co-wash it out lol But I guess I should to get rid of some of the buildup? IDK! How often do you ladies co-wash or shampoo and do you do it because you oil everyday or just because? Should I wash if I'm applying everyday?

My hair feels soooo soft from my oil mix I don't even want to co-wash it out lol But I guess I should to get rid of some of the buildup? IDK! How often do you ladies co-wash or shampoo and do you do it because you oil everyday or just because? Should I wash if I'm applying everyday?

I'm a daily cowasher. I shampoo my scalp only every week or two, depending on how often I'm oiling my scalp. And less often when it's not so friggen hot. Just like to make sure I'm not getting crazy buildup on my scalp and that my scalp can breathe and that my scalp could receive full benefit of further treatments. Just a preference. I didn't start out that way and my hair still grew fine with daily cowashing and monthly clarifying.

Hi Ladies,

Hey Babyt87!! Would you like for me to officially add you to the list of challengers?

I cowash almost everyday in the summer. However the longer I get into my relaxer stretch I might cut back to 2 to 3 days week. I poo with my Shikakai bar about once a month. When I'm not lazy I try to tea rinse at least once a week.

I'm a daily cowasher. I shampoo my scalp only every week or two, depending on how often I'm oiling my scalp. And less often when it's not so friggen hot. Just like to make sure I'm not getting crazy buildup on my scalp and that my scalp can breathe and that my scalp could receive full benefit of further treatments. Just a preference. I didn't start out that way and my hair still grew fine with daily cowashing and monthly clarifying.

What are you cowashing with? All my favs work fine until a certain point in my stretch then I need a SUPER detangler.:spinning:

Hmm....so do you all think I need to co-wash at least once a week? I currently only wash once a week. More than twice a week is too much for my fragile relaxed ends. But I'm thinking that massaging my scalp with only water might not get rid of any buildup anyway so I don't need to do it? Help me out lol

Have you tried Tresemme Moisture Rich Flowinlocks? It's a great detangler. I think HE Hydralicious works just as well. I recently tried AO HSR AND IT WAS THE BOMB! THE BEST DETANGLER EVER I DIDNT EVEN WASH IT OUT CAUSE IT FELT SO GOOD LOL

Hmm....so do you all think I need to co-wash at least once a week? I currently only wash once a week. More than twice a week is too much for my fragile relaxed ends. But I'm thinking that massaging my scalp with only water might not get rid of any buildup anyway so I don't need to do it? Help me out lol

I would, if for nothing else but to help combat any dryness from the sulfur.

Have you tried Tresemme Moisture Rich Flowinlocks? It's a great detangler. I think HE Hydralicious works just as well. I recently tried AO HSR AND IT WAS THE BOMB! THE BEST DETANGLER EVER I DIDNT EVEN WASH IT OUT CAUSE IT FELT SO GOOD LOL

Nope haven't tried that one. I usually use Aussie Moist, Suave Humectant, Skala Jaborandi, or HE long term relationship. I've tried Hello Hydration, but it was meh...

Like I said ALL these conds. work beautifully till I'm about 8 weeks post then I really need a little me more help in the detangling dept. Maybe a different leave in it what I actually need during that time.. :scratchch

No not HH, Hydralicious. HH was booty to me. So was Aussie and Suave Humectant lol. LTR was ok for me but not very detangling. I think the TRESemme or the hydralicious may get through your hair if It detangles my 8 month post hair lol

No not HH, Hydralicious. HH was booty to me. So was Aussie and Suave Humectant lol. LTR was ok for me but not very detangling. I think the TRESemme or the hydralicious may get through your hair if It detangles my 8 month post hair lol

Thanks!! I be trying at least one of these.:grin: Oh yeah don't be speaking bad on my Aussie Moist.:catfight::lachen:

GIIIRRRL You should see the blog i wrote on KISS and hairlista about aussie moist last year. My hair HATED THAT STUFF! lol

BTW I decided not to co-wash and I just applied my oil mix. I'll continue with my current reggie!

GIIIRRRL You should see the blog i wrote on KISS and hairlista about aussie moist last year. My hair HATED THAT STUFF! lol

BTW I decided not to co-wash and I just applied my oil mix. I'll continue with my current reggie!

I understand, everyone's hair is different. I love the slip, moisture, and the fact that it USUALLY melts my ng.

I just started back up using my 50/50 mix of claudies elixir and jbco.
I will try to get in at minimum 3 days a week.
Good job to all of you who have been sticking with this from day one.

Back