2010 Sulfur Challenge

whew, i am so glad i am switching to my homemade sulfur mix!

don't get me wrong, i love the results of the m-t-g, but it's just that, well, you know, it stinks!
plus lately, m-t-g- had been causing me a kind of rash of dry skin on my face and neck wherever it dripped (even down my back). it made my skin feel too tight. not cute.

in my homemade sulfur mix, i'm using:
2 oz. each of:
homemade burdock root oil
homemade lavender oil
homemade hibiscus oil
JBCO
all that is 8 0z. to which i will add a teaspoon of sublimed sulfur Flow posted in the link at the beginning, that i got from americarx.
many thanks to NJoy, too! (yes momma, i clarified that m-t-g- off with Giovanni Tea Tree Tripple Treat last night.)

LaFemme, what did you put in your mix? whatever it is, it sure sounds yummy!!!

i have been applying my beemine. Just a little tip for those with a twa. Use extra extra moisture. With short hair its hard to avoid getting some sulfur on your mane. I just bought palmers olive oil conditioning spray and it works great!

Grow, I put castor oil, evoo, coconut oil, and a little bit of sunflower oil. I was supposed to add peppermint oil but I kept forgetting to get it from my mom. When I run out of this, I'm gonna try shikikai oil and castor oil since the shikikai has cleaning properties or something lol

Do you all think the homemade mixtures are better than store bought/ordered products?

I wondered about that myself. Now I don't know what BeeMine or BT has in it exactly. But my reason for using a homemade mix was because I didn't want any added filler oils like mineral oil or petroleum. Otherwise I would just use good old Sulfur 8 hair grease.

I like that certain oils may be better on my scalp than others or vice/versa. For instance, I'm not crazy about coconut oil on my scalp but I love castor oil on it.

I was just about to order the BT before I made my own up though.

^^^^ Well I use Bee Mine and these are the ingredients

Ingredients: Organic Coconut oil, organic extra virgin olive oil, sulfur powder, essential oils, herbs & fragrance

So far so good. I was just curious to see if anyone had used both and got better results than the other.

Do you all think the homemade mixtures are better than store bought/ordered products?

that's a good question NikkiQ, so i'm curious to read what others have to say.

i just made this potion today, so it's too early to know for my homemade mix, but personally, since M-T-G changed their formula and started adding more mineral oil, i want to limit my use of it.

that's the same reason (but for the petrolatum) why i have a jar of Sulur 8 that i most likely won't use.

i'm glad that Bee Mine has great ingredients in it, and thank you for adding that.
i've also heard that Claudie's is made with top ingredients, so i suppose it depends on which products/ingredients are being used and how they react on each person's individual head. (many people have no problem with mineral oil, petrolatum, etc....) :rolleyes:

^^^ I actually use a "grease" in between my Bee Mine applications and it amazingly doesn't leave my hair heavy of my pores clogged.

I'm still using beemine no extra growth using it, I have a little left and won't repurchase. As far as comparing to homemade I'm quite sure it equal or better depending on the homemade mixture of oils. I have tried both BT/BM and you have to shake them first. So homemade mixtures should be as good or better, like another poster said you can control all the extras.

NikkiQ, you lucky girl!!! :-)!:grin:

that kinda of thing was too much for my hair:nono:, although i've "learned" that it likes oils, lol!:yep:

yes, finding our what our hair/scalp likes and does not like is the real deal here!:rolleyes:

I'm slowly learning what my hair likes and doesn't like. I know it LOVES cowashing and its a bit difficult not being able to cowash every other day with this flippin weave in!

So I really believe measuring with a tape measure was a fail :nono:. I measured today with a ruler and it said 5 inches. I refuse to believe I did not gain any length when I consistently get 1/2 inch per month. Who knows I could be wrong about the 1/2 inch. Well I will start with today at 5 inches and will measure with a ruler again in Sept and see what happens :wallbash:.

Just applied my sulfur for the 5th day in a row whoop whoop! lol 26 more days to see some ACTION!

Well even if I don't get extra growth, I'm not wasting my sulfur so I'm def gonna use it up lol

I applied my mix and it felt soooo good and tingly.:lick:

I couldn't stop smiling today. I stretched my bang over my nose and I can finally see some progress again. It's almost to the top of my lip when it was just at the tip of my nose a couple of months ago. It's probably only 1/2 inch of growth (I did a teeny trim last month) but I don't care because I hadn't been seeing ANY retention lately. I'm at the point where any and every extra bit of length is fine with me.

My bang has NEVER been this long. I always wanted enough hair to do a side swooped bang.

I'm so happy :dance7:

HHG!!

So I really believe measuring with a tape measure was a fail :nono:. I measured today with a ruler and it said 5 inches. I refuse to believe I did not gain any length when I consistently get 1/2 inch per month. Who knows I could be wrong about the 1/2 inch. Well I will start with today at 5 inches and will measure with a ruler again in Sept and see what happens :wallbash:.

Shay hang in there girl, your hair could just be in it's resting phase. We still have almost 2 months before update pics. I'm positive you'll have some extra length by then.:yep:

I applied my mix and it felt soooo good and tingly.:lick:

I couldn't stop smiling today. I stretched my bang over my nose and I can finally see some progress again. It's almost to the top of my lip when it was just at the tip of my nose a couple of months ago. It's probably only 1/2 inch of growth (I did a teeny trim last month) but I don't care because I hadn't been seeing ANY retention lately. I'm at the point where any and every extra bit of length is fine with me.

My bang has NEVER been this long. I always wanted enough hair to do a side swooped bang.

I'm so happy :dance7:

HHG!!

Congratulations on your progress!!! I'm glad to hear your mix is working for you.

my hair is feeling a lil dry. actually a lot of dry, it looks real lack luster. I have $0 to buy any treatments. Maybe a mayonnaise treatment? Has this worked for anyone.

I added my sulfur 8 to my mix. haven't bought the msm yet.

i'm applying my homemade mix every night so far.

i must say, my homemade mix leaves my roots feeling alot softer the next day then when i used M-T-G.

2 months to go we've got, Flow?

c'mon ladies! let's get it!

my hair is feeling a lil dry. actually a lot of dry, it looks real lack luster. I have $0 to buy any treatments. Maybe a mayonnaise treatment? Has this worked for anyone.

I added my sulfur 8 to my mix. haven't bought the msm yet.

Haven't tried the mayo.
How often are you conditioning? Are you keeping the sulfur off your hair as best as you can? Have you tried cowashing?

Leave in cond. topped with a heavier oil like Castor helps when I'm feeling super dry.

You might have some of that in your medicine cabinet. If not, check to see if you have any evoo in the kitchen and use it as a prepoo before the cowash.

You didn't miss it. You can still get in, would you like me to add you to the list?

Can I be added also. My starting pic is my avator pic. I started using Sulu 2 weeks ago. Now that I have in extension braids, I plan to apply it to my scalp at least 3x a week. I just received my bee mine order yesterday andadded a couple drops to some sulu and applied. I like a lot more because it smells good. I hope to take out braids in sept then get a texlax so I'll post upbated pics at that time.

Thank you all for your inspiration. Happy hair growing to all.:grin:

I'm still going strong with my MTG applications every night. The smell doesn't bother me anymore. I find that I have to moisturize more, because the MTG was drying my hair out a lil. I got my MSM in the mail monday the pills are huge, I don't think I'll be taking them every day. I think I took 3 this week. They are 1500mg each. I also read this book "The MSM Miracle" by Dr. Earl L. Mindell. It's loaded with facts about MSM so that was pretty interesting. But yea just wanted to update, hope everybody's doin good and staying consistent :yep:

Can I be added also. My starting pic is my avator pic. I started using Sulu 2 weeks ago. Now that I have in extension braids, I plan to apply it to my scalp at least 3x a week. I just received my bee mine order yesterday andadded a couple drops to some sulu and applied. I like a lot more because it smells good. I hope to take out braids in sept then get a texlax so I'll post upbated pics at that time.

Adding you to the list. Welcome to the challenge!

I still using my MTG and MT , I now mixed it with my blue magic grease help with smell and oilyness., I purchased some sulfur as well I mixed after I finished my MTG.

Still using BT and my hair is getting thicker since I began using it 1 month ago. I've also started reintroducing MSM into my diet. Boy, I can tell a major difference when I don't use it. My joints ache something awful when I don't use it. Hopefully it'll aid in the hair growth, but if not, at least it will help with the joint pain.

I was using my MT and taking my MSMG and co-washing everyday. This week i will stop using MTG because I am getting a relaxer soon and I dont want to burn. I will however continue to co wash and still take my MSM.

I would have updated more except I was busy studying for finals and helping my BF pack since he is moving :(

WELCOME TO LHCF, OJEMBA!

:welcome4::newbie::circle:

Just kicked it up a notch to 2,000 mg of MSM. MAYBE I'll see some changes....but I'm also not drinking the aloe vera juice anymore so maybe not....anywho, I didn't oil my scalp last night because I washed with my new Ayurvedic herbal shampoo. That stuff is GOOD and left my hair feeling so nice and got rid of the buildup. This is def a staple if I'm ever able to find it locally. I'll resume oiling tonight!

Just kicked it up a notch to 2,000 mg of MSM. MAYBE I'll see some changes....but I'm also not drinking the aloe vera juice anymore so maybe not....anywho, I didn't oil my scalp last night because I washed with my new Ayurvedic herbal shampoo. That stuff is GOOD and left my hair feeling so nice and got rid of the buildup. This is def a staple if I'm ever able to find it locally. I'll resume oiling tonight!

What brand was it?

Back