2010 Sulfur Challenge

Haven't tried the mayo.
How often are you conditioning? Are you keeping the sulfur off your hair as best as you can? Have you tried cowashing?

Leave in cond. topped with a heavier oil like Castor helps when I'm feeling super dry.

You might have some of that in your medicine cabinet. If not, check to see if you have any evoo in the kitchen and use it as a prepoo before the cowash.

I have been co-washing. I think it is the gel I was using. I usually use eco-styler olive oil but the store was out so i opted for the yellow one. If it wasn't for the fact I only paid 1.50 for it I woulda been upset.:wallbash: Not only is it drying, it does nothing for hold or my curls. :perplexed

I have an applicator bottle that I have my concoction in and I apply it to my scalp and then put a little in my hands to run through my ends since it has my amla oil in it.

I will try and pre-poo with the EVOO...how do you do that by the way. :grin:

I need my wave nouveau and mango butter back in me life! lol.

For those using MSM powder...how's your skin?

WELCOME TO LHCF, OJEMBA!

:welcome4::newbie::circle:

Thank you Grow. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and I finally decide to get my act together and join some challenges. This is all new to me as I've been going to the hairdresser every week since I can't remember. I'm excited to take control of my hair. I am confident with the many women on here like yourself with your tips and advise I will grow hair that I never imagined having.

Thank you Grow. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and I finally decide to get my act together and join some challenges. This is all new to me as I've been going to the hairdresser every week since I can't remember. I'm excited to take control of my hair. I am confident with the many women on here like yourself with your tips and advise I will grow hair that I never imagined having.

well we're glad you're here, and yes, you will find so very much to help your happy hair journey and be amazed by how well you can learn to take good care of your hair. that's what i'm continually finding since i joined.

and the journey continues.....

still applying my homemade sulfur mix.
a difference i'm finding from the M-T-G, even though it's only been a week since changing is that my mix is much softer on my ng.

of course, i did add jbco to it.....:grin: (also, some homemade maka oil)

well we're glad you're here, and yes, you will find so very much to help your happy hair journey and be amazed by how well you can learn to take good care of your hair. that's what i'm continually finding since i joined.

and the journey continues.....

still applying my homemade sulfur mix.
a difference i'm finding from the M-T-G, even though it's only been a week since changing is that my mix is much softer on my ng.

of course, i did add jbco to it.....:grin: (also, some homemade maka oil)

Of course. The oils you're using now are waaay better for your hair than the ones used in the horsey stuff. :yep: (not knocking mtg tho, for those using it.)

I broke down and relaxed after 9 weeks. I was trying to go to 10 but my hair was starting to shed and even lock together in a few places. I'm so glad I did. Can't chance a setback.

Took the weave out and kept in the braids so tonight I'm gonna cowash, apply my Bee Mine and then spray on a little BRX :yep:

Okay I just started using my mn/sulfur mixture again today but I added it to like 70% black castor oil because it really leaves my hair very soft and shiny this way. Good to be back.

Yes I am. The Hawaiian Silky and CFC were working, but I don't think my hair really liked it too much. When I got my install done, the itchies were worse than usual so I picked up a bottle of this to spray on my hair to keep it moisturized while in the braids and to stop the itching and it WORKED!!! It seems to be working pretty well so far. I never hair the dreaded dry braid/dry scalp issue.

Yes I am. The Hawaiian Silky and CFC were working, but I don't think my hair really liked it too much. When I got my install done, the itchies were worse than usual so I picked up a bottle of this to spray on my hair to keep it moisturized while in the braids and to stop the itching and it WORKED!!! It seems to be working pretty well so far. I never hair the dreaded dry braid/dry scalp issue.

Thanks, I might give it a try. I need all the moisture I can get in the winter. Not that I'm rushing winter.:look:

Hey Aggie!! What you been up to?

:wave: FL. Oh I got my hair braided 6 weeks ago and really didn't want to put anything oily in my hair for the first few weeks. I have about 2-3 weeks left in these braids so I thought I'd use my mix now since it doesn't look quite as fresh anymore:giggle:.

So, its time for my relaxer really soon, and I STOPPED using MTG for a week maybe a little longer. I continued to co-wash but I havent washed with shampoo yet. Is it ok for me to get a relaxer or should I wash with shampoo first and push my relaxer back?? TIA ladies :)

Manda, nah, you've been cowashing. I don't think it's necessary to shampoo first. Your scalp should be good to go. :yep:

UPDATE

So ive been applying my homemade sulfur mix. Its been working fabulous. I got about a little over half an inch. I normally barely get half an inch a month so im pleased. Ill keep this up maybe ill add some MN to get even better results

My mix consists of:
2 tablespoons of sulfur
2 ounces of Posners Revitalizing Growth Oil
2 ounces of Wondergro Herb Blaster ( tea tree stimulator formula)
2 ounces of olive oil
2 ounces of castor oil

If its helpful at all ...
Posner ingredient include (posted from a previous thread)
Keratin
Soy and Hydrolyzed Silk
Tea Tree oil
Carrot Oil
Horstail Extract
Ylang Ylang
Olive Oil
Shea Butter
Sunflower Seed Oil
Coconut Oil
KuKui Nut Oil
Vitamin E
Vitamin B5
Goden Seal Extract
Bee Pollen

Wonder Gro Tree Tea:
Soy oil
Vitamin e
Cycolmethicone
Castor Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Horsetail Extract
Burdock Extract
Nettle Extract
Grapeseed Oil
Protein
Coltsfoot extract
Oilve oil
Aloe Vera Oil
Shea butter
Lanolin
Rosemary oil
Hempseed Oil
Wheatgerm Oil
Lecithin
Menthol
BHT
Frangrance

WHEWWWW! :spinning:

Purchased the items at my local beauty supply store.
When used alone without sulfur I like the Posner better. Great for Pre-Poo, hot oil treatment and for scalp.

HTH :yep:

Ok I tried that one, dried my hair out to the point where it was matted. Even after oiling.:nono: I had to give it away. My hair HATES Arithia.

Oooh nooo that sucks! Well I hope it doesn't turn on me! What is Arithia?

ETA: I also wash in sections and maybe it works better on natural hair? IDK But Yodie didn't like it either I guess because I got it from her.

Ladies I have been meaning to share my experience with relaxing since using the sulfur on my scalp. I stopped using it a week before my relaxer and still had an adverse reaction. The problem was I cowashed it out instead of using shampoo.:wallbash: My relaxer burned much faster and I also had areas that were under processed. My relaxer never burns till it's almost time to rinse and sometimes not even then. I did my research, thought I took the necessary precautions, I even read where a member on BHM lost a patch of hair from not washing the sulfur out first.:nono: The others complained of burning and under processing. I knew all of this and still half stepped, trying to be lazy.:wallbash: I basically was underestimating how damaging the effects of sulfur and lye could be when mixed. Thank God I didn't have any breakage. Just burning and a little shedding that Motions CPR quickly got under control. I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't at least cowashed.

For all the newbies to sulfur on the scalp that relax, make sure you wash it COMPLETELY out of your hair at least week before your touch up. And wait at least a week after before you start back using it.

Hopefully this information will help someone from having a setback or scalp burns. My hair is doing fine and I still have no breakage or shedding and I'm thankful. I will definitely follow this rule the next time :yep: and not take any unecessary risks.
HHG ladies

ETA: I also placed a precaution in the op.

Bumping this again...

Manda, nah, you've been cowashing. I don't think it's necessary to shampoo first. Your scalp should be good to go. :yep:

I have to disagree with this one.(see attached)

So, its time for my relaxer really soon, and I STOPPED using MTG for a week maybe a little longer. I continued to co-wash but I havent washed with shampoo yet. Is it ok for me to get a relaxer or should I wash with shampoo first and push my relaxer back?? TIA ladies :)

See my first quote.

Oooh nooo that sucks! Well I hope it doesn't turn on me! What is Arithia?

ETA: I also wash in sections and maybe it works better on natural hair? IDK But Yodie didn't like it either I guess because I got it from her.

It's called soapnuts. It's a natural soap. However it strips my hair like nothing else compared.:nono:

It's so potent I used the rest of my boxes in the laundry..

Aritha_Powder.jpg

English Name: Aritha Powder (Reetha Powder)
Soapnut Powder
Botanical Name: Sapindus Trifolatus

"Hesh" Aritha Powder
The Natural Shampoo for your hair
Hesh Aritha Powder is a natural cleansing agent recommended by Ayurvedic experts. Hesh Aritha Powder has all the goodness of this natural marvel. When used on skin, the powder cleans the pores and helps the skin breath better. It also improves the texture of skin over a period of usage. As a shampoo, it cleans hair completely. It is specially recommended for washing oily hair. The powder has excellent foaming and shampooing properties. Aritha powder is also recommended for your laundry, washing silk, woolen clothes, silver and gold ornaments and utensils.

Bumping this again...

I have to disagree with this one.(see attached)

See my first quote.

Wow! I don't think I ever saw those posts. I never wash with shampoo before relaxing. By all means, err on the side of caution. I'm pretty reckless with my hair and scalp, I suppose. I don't even know if I've always waited a week after too.

Or, maybe it's that I'm using no-lye relaxer and the problem is with lye relaxers? I don't know. Disregard my comments then, PLEASE! I don't want any mishaps based on my 2 cents. :nono:

Wow! I don't think I ever saw those posts. I never wash with shampoo before relaxing. By all means, err on the side of caution. I'm pretty reckless with my hair and scalp, I suppose. I don't even know if I've always waited a week after too.

Or, maybe it's that I'm using no-lye relaxer and the problem is with lye relaxers? I don't know. Disregard my comments then, PLEASE! I don't want any mishaps based on my 2 cents. :nono:

You're ok!! Everyone is different. This was my experience. And yes I used a lye relaxer, so you could be on to something. We are all here to learn from each other.:yep:

Hot diggity! Thanks FL. I will shampoo tonight, dont want any probs. Also, I too will be using a lye relaxer (MBB for fine/color treated hair) I will most definitely take your advice.

UPDATE

So ive been applying my homemade sulfur mix. Its been working fabulous. I got about a little over half an inch. I normally barely get half an inch a month so im pleased. Ill keep this up maybe ill add some MN to get even better results

My mix consists of:
2 tablespoons of sulfur
2 ounces of Posners Revitalizing Growth Oil
2 ounces of Wondergro Herb Blaster ( tea tree stimulator formula)
2 ounces of olive oil
2 ounces of castor oil

If its helpful at all ...
Posner ingredient include (posted from a previous thread)
Keratin
Soy and Hydrolyzed Silk
Tea Tree oil
Carrot Oil
Horstail Extract
Ylang Ylang
Olive Oil
Shea Butter
Sunflower Seed Oil
Coconut Oil
KuKui Nut Oil
Vitamin E
Vitamin B5
Goden Seal Extract
Bee Pollen

Wonder Gro Tree Tea:
Soy oil
Vitamin e
Cycolmethicone
Castor Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Horsetail Extract
Burdock Extract
Nettle Extract
Grapeseed Oil
Protein
Coltsfoot extract
Oilve oil
Aloe Vera Oil
Shea butter
Lanolin
Rosemary oil
Hempseed Oil
Wheatgerm Oil
Lecithin
Menthol
BHT
Frangrance

WHEWWWW! :spinning:

Purchased the items at my local beauty supply store.
When used alone without sulfur I like the Posner better. Great for Pre-Poo, hot oil treatment and for scalp.

HTH :yep:

Those oils have some good ingredients and I bet it's price reasonably! thanks for posting these.

Back