10 Most Important Steps to Growing long Hair

vtoodler

If someone asked you what are the 10 most important steps to growing long hair, what would you tell them? What do you think are the 10 most important steps to hair growth?

For me these are the 10 key things that have gotten me from EL to almost APL.

-Consistence.
After I found my staple products and methods, this helped with growth and health.

-Moisture/Protein Balance. Figuring this out has helped me to retain, retain, retain.

-Deep Conditioning frequently is my #1 method.

-Protein treatments frequently.

-Moisturizing and Sealing whenever my hair feels dry. I NEVER let it get dry.

-Natural Products. There is absolutely nothing wrong with non natural products...but natural products do SO much better for my hair.

-Protective Styling. This has been a savior for my ends, and better retention.

-Low manipulation. Leaving my hair alone, period.

-Stretching my relaxers. This has helped me with retention and damage.

-Patience. My patience has prevented me from jumping on bandwagons just to grow waist length hair in 1 month...I've avoided many setbacks because of this.

Moisture/Protien Balance
Moisturize Daily
Seal moisture in daily
DC Often
Protective Styling
Low Manipulation Styling
Make sure your porosity is "on- point"
If you are relaxed, stretch your relaxers
Always wrap your hair at night
Stay away from excessive direct heat

1. The first thing I'd tell them is that hair growth is going to happen regardless of what they do (barring medical issues) so all they need to worry about is keeping the hair on their head.

2. Handle your hair gently. It doesn't matter how good your products and tools are if you're still going to treat it how you would treat a barbie dolls hair. You can't rake through it, braid it tightly, brush it hard, pull at it, etc. etc. and expect to have length retention.

3. Be consistent. Again products are not as important as following through on the things you know your hair needs. If your hair needs a dc every week, then that's what you need to do. If your hair needs protective styles, then that's what you need to do. Once you figure out what works for you, stick with it.

4. Get an understanding of hair, hair care, and hair products. You need to know why you're doing something, not just that it's a good idea. Researching ingredients and how they work together and what they will do for your hair will only help you. Learning the characteristics of your own hair is necessary when trying to figure out what regimen will work the best for you.

5. Stick with the basics. Keep your hair clean, conditioned, moisturized, and protected. Limit chemicals and heat. Haircare and length retention are simple...we make them complicated for no reason.

6. Be patient. It takes years to accumulate length. In the meantime, don't jump from product to product, or technique to technique, looking for the best new thing. Stay with what's working for you and your regimen and you will see results.

Last edited:
10 Most Important Steps to Growing MY Hair Long

1) Leave it alone as much as possible! By this I mean do your best to consistently keep your hair in low-manipulation protective styles that will allow it to thrive and allow you to retain length.

2) Find out how to recognize the cues on what your hair is craving at any given moment, that way you can know when your hair needs protien or moisture and you'll be able to keep your hair in balance

3) Washing conditioning and deep conditioning long natural hair in sections has been a HUGE tangle eliminator for me.

4) If you're going to use heat on your hair, be sure to use it wisely take the proper steps to protect your hair along the way so you can still retain length.

5) Deep Conditioners can be found in your kitchen or garden. Growing up in a Haitian Household has taught me this from day one, eggs, extra virgin olive oil, full fat mayonnaise, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, garlic etc, you can make spectacular Deep Treatments for your hair simply using natural edible products with amazing results.

6) Allow yourself a break from your hair from time to time. Put it in some individual braids, some senegalese twists, a nice well done weave or some tree braids, allow your hair a break and yourself a break from styling.

7) Always Always ALWAYS sleep with a Satin Scarf, Cap or Pillow

8) Stylists should be a once in a blue moon treat, I personally only use them for trims. Your hair will thrive the most in your own care.

9) Natural Butters and oils are always my friend makes my hair beautifully soft and supple and ideal for sealing.

10) Sulfate Free is the ideal but stick to what works for you. I've switched to a sulfate free NourishSpa Shampoo now but back in the days I was doing just fine with my Pantene Pro-v Relaxed and Natural and that has Sulfates. If theres a shampoo with sulfates that give me a great result, I'll use that from time to time too because its all about what works for ME.

Last edited:
This is what has worked for me:

1. Conditioner and water. These are the best moisturizers for my hair.

2. Low manipulation. I have been able to grow my hair from bra strap to my current length by doing this.

3. Protective styling. I try to keep my hair up as much as possible to prevent damage to my ends.

4. Going natural. Giving up relaxers have been very beneficial to my hair.

5. No gels, mousse, or other "stylers". These can be very drying to my hair.

6. No direct heat.

7. Only combing the hair while wet and with conditioner.

8. Finger combing. I rarely use a comb.

9. Doing what works for me and sticking with it. I do not jump on band wagons and am no longer interested in trying many different products.

10. Not obsessing over my hair. I try to forget about my hair and focus on other things. I realize that my hair is always growing and if I adhere to my simple regimen, I should retain most of my length.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^So in a nut shell, pretty much using conditioner and water and low manipulation has worked for me. Keeping it simple is crucial.

Last edited:
1) Wearing a silk/satin scarf
2) Moisturizing and sealing with oil
3) Oiling and massaging my scalp nightly :look:
4) Deep conditioning
5) Protective styling (braids for me)
6) Washing once a week with a clarifying shampoo
7) No brushing and combing with a wide tooth comb
8) Detangling in the shower with help from the water flow
9) Taking vitamins
10) 80-120 oz of water a day :grin:

1.Patience--- It is going to take some time but it will all be worth it in the end.

2.Natural Products--- They are better for your hair and the inviorment.

3.Leaving Your Hair Alone--- Touching your hair all of the time will cause you to do extra things to your hair that don't need to be done.

4.Finding Your Staple Products--- Finding what will work for you will help you to not damage your hair with what will not.

5.Don't Envy Anybody Elses Hair--- You will try to make your hair look like theirs and damage your hair in the proccess. Trust me, I know.

6.Love Your Hair--- If you don't, who els will?

7.Don't Let Anybody Els Tell You What You Are Doing Is Wrong--- If you like your hair that way or if it works for you then it is all good.

8.Protect Your Hair--- Cover your hair when you sleep, clean the yard ect.

9.Take Baby Steps--- Go slow in the begining, no need to rush. You will get there when you get there. going fast can mess you up!

10.Pray--- If you don't take God on your hair care journey, you will not get where you are trying to go.

1. Pray over your hair, asking for wisdom in caring for your body. Bring power with scriptures, as they are living and have power.

Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. (1 Corinthians 11:14-15 (New International Version)

2. Healthy on the inside grows outside. Put good stuff in you body (vitamins, water, cleansing, etc.)

3. Healthy scalp, healthy hair. Take care of it w/massages, keeping it free from buildup, nourishing it with serums/jojoba oil treatments, etc. Also, NATURAL doesnt give immediate results, but it works best and gives the most beauty over time!!

4. Protect what grows: preserve your ends to keep your length. Hair rarely breaks from the middle.

5. Protect what grows: preserve your length with protective styles.

6. Protect what grows: moisture moisture moisture! However you get it in.

7. Protect what grows: lessen direct damge. Brushing, direct heat, same spot ponytails, etc.

8. Grow with your hair! In time, it will change! Welcome your natural beauty, shape, texture, instead of trying to hide it. This is when your hair flourishes most.

9. For every amount of damage, harshness or heat that you give to your hair, you MUST repair it with an equal or greater repairing treatment. E.g., if you blow dry, DC that night. If you sleep without a scarf, pre-poo with rich olive oil under a dryer before washing the next time. Stay in balance.

10. Don't be afraid to love your hair at each length. I think this makes the time go faster. I used to hide my hair when I was ear length - I wish I would have worn it out more, but I was insecure. As I began to embrace my hair texture and length, I found that the months growing were more FUN, and it makes the journey easier and inspirational.

HHG to all.

Oh, and I am adding one more thing in: TRUST YOUR OWN JUDGMENT!

Last edited:
1.Patience--- It is going to take some time but it will all be worth it in the end.

2.Natural Products--- They are better for your hair and the inviorment.

3.Leaving Your Hair Alone--- Touching your hair all of the time will cause you to do extra things to your hair that don't need to be done.

4.Finding Your Staple Products--- Finding what will work for you will help you to not damage your hair with what will not.

5.Don't Envy Anybody Elses Hair--- You will try to make your hair look like theirs and damage your hair in the proccess. Trust me, I know.

6.Love Your Hair--- If you don't, who els will?

7.Don't Let Anybody Els Tell You What You Are Doing Is Wrong--- If you like your hair that way or if it works for you then it is all good.

8.Protect Your Hair--- Cover your hair when you sleep, clean the yard ect.

9.Take Baby Steps--- Go slow in the begining, no need to rush. You will get there when you get there. going fast can mess you up!

10.Pray--- If you don't take God on your hair care journey, you will not get where you are trying to go.

:yep: Beautiful!

1. Patience. Easier said than done though.

2. Having the basics in place - knowing when to wash and the right shampoo, conditioning, deep conditioning, knowing if your hair needs more moisture or protein etc.

3. If you want long hair, keep your hair away for scissors unless it's totally necessary.

4. Know when to adapt your regimen (during the seasons or when your hair gets longer) - if you have the basics in place, it shouldn't be hard to do this.

5. Handle it with care. Rough handling leads to breakage, knots and weaker strands.

6. Know your (hair's) limits. This may take some trial and error in the beginning. However, what I'm really referring to is cases where I see people doing things when they know better than to do so. Putting high heat on your hair when you know it gets heat-damaged easily? Welcome to Setback Central.

7. Wear no-contact or low-manipulation styles once at shoulder length. It doesn't need to be 24/7 365 and it doesn't need to be hidden either. However, I think not fussing with your hair too much on a daily basis results in less knots, stronger stands etc.

8. If a stylist is complaining about your hair, treating it too rough, trying to bully you into a service you don't want or is otherwise doing something that makes you think, "wth?" - get the hell up off the seat. It makes very little sense to complain later about how a stylist messed up your hair when the huge warning signs and glaringly red signs were there from the get go.

9. Before jumping on every growth aid bandwagon because you think you have "slow growth", ask yourself truthfully if your regimen is on point and if you're really treating your hair with care. If you are, then truthfully ask yourself if you're getting most of your nutrients from food (a good diet) and you're exercising regularly (in addition to whatever daily walking/on the job activities you do).

10. With all that said, don't be afraid to break some rules and go against the grain if it works for your hair. However, this usually takes knowing the "rules" (i.e - commonly known methods for good hair care) in order to make an informed decision to do something that is quite unconventional. For example, some people never do any kind of deep conditioning treatment (with store-bought DCS or home-made ones). Many people who jump into this would wind up with a lot of breakage somewhere down the line (self included). Likewise, some people have better results combing or brushing everyday or so.

Last edited:
My strands are VERY fine and therefore susceptible to splits, breakage and tangling. It’s taken me almost three years to develop a routine that works for my natural hair. I am just now, for the first time since I was a little girl, maintaining length! Here are the things that have helped me:

10. Find a regimen and stick to it— Although my products change often, my routine stays the same. I try not to do too much to my hair and that seems to aid in length retention. This step will take the longest, lol. Product junky-ism is a real disease, and I’m in recovery. Relapses, however, are always right around the corner
icon_wink.gif

9. Moisturize and Seal— Moisturize with a water-based product and seal with a heavier-oil laden one, or butter/oil. Some fine-haired ladies don’t do well with butters or heavy creams…I thought I was one of them, but my hair loves rich, heavy butters. I’m really feeling un-refined shea butter. My hair is shiny, moisturized, and happy.

8. Stretch the ends— Find a low-mani way to elongate the ends of the hair. My fine strands curl up on themselves, knot and then split. Wearing a Twist-n-Curl, or flexi-rod set, really keeps my ends stretched out and happy. For some reason, they seem to retain moisture better in this state.

7. Use the Denman sparingly— It’s very tempting to reach for the

Denman to detangle…especially when the frizzy mess on your head is beginning to look like mission impossible. The Denman makes the process much quicker, and makes the hair much smoother, but for fine curlies, this comes with a cost. I had to learn the hard way that my wet hair, and any brush is bad news! The best way to detangle fine strands is with your fingers (and/or a wide tooth comb) and a crap load of moisturizing, slippery conditioner. It takes longer, but you don’t damage your hair in the process.

6. Avoid product build-up at all cost– Do this by lo-pooing or using products that don’t contain cones or other ingredients that can build up over time. For me, build-up always leads to dry hair that tangles and breaks. I’m not anti-cones; my hair actually does quite well with amodimethicone.

5. Only co-wash a few times a week— my fine strands didn’t do well with all of the manipulation, and over time I lost more hair than I should have. I did daily co-washing for a year or more and my hair never showed an inch of growth. Sad.

4. Avoid protein— my hair just can’t handle it…not even in small amounts. My hair gets hard, brittle and will snap off at the slightest tug. I’ve actually read that many fine-haired curlies love protein. Try it out, assess the situation, and make a determination for yourself!

3. Weekly Deep Treatments— this has been a tremendous help. I try to DT every time I wet my hair. Its hard, because I always feel pressed for time, but my hair thanks me later.

2. Henna- Need I say more?! My hair has never been thicker, softer or happier. It also helps with number 8 since the henna elongates my curl.

1. Gentle Handling— I know you’ve heard it before, but it can’t be said enough—treat your hair like old fine lace. Be patient when detangling and styling and please, please, please keep your hands out of your head as much as possible. I have serious HIF (hand in fro) disease, and I’m sure this adds to the few splits and knots I do get.

hth!
nik

1. NO heat
2. Low manipulation
3. Natural hair
4. Warm Oil treatments
5. NO hot water
7. NO microbraids
8. Wrap hair up every night (ok even after you do the boom boom)
9. Exercise
10. Eat Well

What has helped me...
no/low direct heat
protective styles- ends off the shoulders and tucked away
stretch relaxers- atleaset two months (i stretch 4 months)
shampoo and dc -dc atleast once a week
Airdry as oppose to blowfrying
Moisture hair daily
scalf at night
trim ends as needed
comb as oppose to brushing- far less hair loss
look at taking care of your hair as a hobby not a chore

I don't have 10 but I'll state what I believe:

1. Patience
2. Strectching if you are relaxed
3. Daily Moisturizing
4. Good shampoo (no SLS) and conditioner
5. Good protein (Apogee)
6. Wear silk/satin scarf at night

Every thing else is just costmetic.

This is what has worked for me:

1. Conditioner and water. These are the best moisturizers for my hair.

2. Low manipulation. I have been able to grow my hair from bra strap to my current length by doing this.

3. Protective styling. I try to keep my hair up as much as possible to prevent damage to my ends.

4. Going natural. Giving up relaxers have been very beneficial to my hair.

5. No gels, mousse, or other "stylers". These can be very drying to my hair.

6. No direct heat.

7. Only combing the hair while wet and with conditioner.

8. Finger combing. I rarely use a comb.

9. Doing what works for me and sticking with it. I do not jump on band wagons and am no longer interested in trying many different products.

10. Not obsessing over my hair. I try to forget about my hair and focus on other things. I realize that my hair is always growing and if I adhere to my simple regimen, I should retain most of my length.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^So in a nut shell, pretty much using conditioner and water and low manipulation has worked for me. Keeping it simple is crucial.

wow my list is identical except for number 8
and number 6 , i dont eliminate heat but i do try to keep it at a minimal

Last edited:
I don't have 10.

1. low/no heat
2. cover hair w/silk scarf at bedtime
3. minimal manipulation
4. regular conditioning treatments
5. keep scalp clean
6. trim only when necessary
7. eat well/exercise
8. keep your regimen SIMPLE

I agree with those that said going natural and trimming only when necessary.

Going Natural has made all the difference for me, my hair has never been longer and I love the fact that I have so much thickness.

Trimming only when necessary is KEY, ideally you wanna stay on top of your ends so that you dont have to trim for as long as a year or more.

My list is identical to everyone except I never wrap my hair at night. I've never used a satin pillow and I detangle with a comb every 6 to 7 weeks.

1. Quit worrying about it so much...you hair is growing w/ or w/o your direct involvement

2. What works for some may not work for you.....use your intelligence about what you do for your hair. If it sounds too good to be true, well....

3. Do things on an "as needed" basis...you don't have to do or use 8,000 things/products for your hair. If anything, that's impeding your progress. If you have a big stash, try to rotate products. Your hair will thank you for for NOT being bombarded and for the changes rotating gives it.

4. Be wary of hairdressers ....if your hairdresser refuses to do as you ask in any way, walk.

5. Don't think natural hair is the key to growth...after all, how many naturals do you see in real life thart have super long hair (skrinkage issues aside)? If you're relaxed, learn to take care of it.

6. Be wary of weaves, wigs, and the like....they can pull out your hair IF you aren't careful

7. Braids, esp micros, must be well maintained...see above

8. Invest in good tools...brushes, combs, flat irons, etc...whatever you use. Doesn't have to cost a mint, but find tools that are appropriate for your hair type.

9. Learn to handle your hair wet or dry....everybody's different, some people's hair is more vulnerable dry than wet or vice versa. Handle it w/ care either way, but don't go to the other extreme of being afraid of doing anything. After all, it's not Dresden China we're talking about.

10. Avoid most styling products if you can...many are too drying

Last edited:
1) Go Natural- My hair is so much stronger

2) No Combing- I only finger comb

3) Low Manipulation- I wear a wig when I'm tempted to overmanipulate my hair.

4) Keep hair moisturized- I love Nasabb.com unrefined shea and homemade spritz of rosewater, aloe vera gel, vatika oil, and castor oil

5) Henna and amla powder- helps with hair detangling and softness

6) No trimming- My goal is to limit trims to once a year

7) Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment- I use this conditioner as my leave in and it has truly transformed my hair

8) "Greasing" my scalp every other day with Megatek/JBCO mix strengthens and thickens my hair

9) Porosity control and ACV rinses- smoothes my hair helps it retain moisture

10) Prayer and Patience and Being Consistent with a good regimen

1. High Protein Diet
2. Exercise
3. Up water intake
4. Deep Condition w/heat every wash
5. Moisturize and protect ends
6. Minimize or eliminate direct heat
7. If relaxed, never touch-up before 12 weeks, stretch more if you can.
8. Always either cover hair every night with silk or satin or sleep on silk or satin pillowcase
9. If relaxed and using no-lye switch to lye
10. Treat your hair like lace, never put too much stress in the form of tight ponytails, heavy extension braids, and styles that pull on your edges.

1. NO DIRECT HEAT (or at least minimize it as much as possible).
2. Wear my hair up at least 3-4 days a week.
3. Stretch my relaxers minimum 12, maximum 16 weeks.
4. Switch from no-lye to lye.
5. Make cardio exercise a regular part of my routine.
6. Add essential oils (like peppermint) to whatever I put on my scalp.
7. Deep condition Deep condition Deep condition!
8. Take supplements for overall good health (healthy body, healthy hair)
9. Eliminate sulfates
10. BE PATIENT! (that's the hardest for me :drunk:)

Things that work for me.....still learning :yep:

1. Patience!! - Is A Virtue

2. Stretch Relaxers - A minimum of 10 weeks

3. Low Manipulation - Large tooth combs ( when I do comb)

4. Little to NO heat - Air dry most of the time. Got a ponytail twice this year (she pressed my hair) - Gonna curl it myself for my boyfriends birthday in Nov, haven't curled it in years! ONLY SPECIAL OCCASIONS!!

5. Deep Conditions - Almost every wash

6. Lots of Moisture - Almost every day, always looking for ways to keep my hair hydrated.

7. Protective Styles - Braids mostly, Buns/Up-do's

8. Co-Washes or Sulfate free Shampoo - Recently tried Dr. Bonners w/Amla oil & bottled water. Never using reg shampoo again!!

9. Ayurvedic powders, oils & Henna - Amla etc. are true staples. They strengthen and aide in the growth of dark thick healthy hair.

10. Consume plenty of water, fruits & vegetables and take good vitamins!

Very knowledgeable thread O.P :yep: everyone can learn something here.

10 most important steps to growing healthy, natural hair:

Clarity - It took me a very long time to actually see my hair. I need to look at photos. Mental distortion can occur when I look in the mirror, but the camera doesn't lie.

Acceptance - Take off the "mental wig." Once I accepted that I would never have Botticelli curls, I began to see that my hair could be even more beautiful.

Understanding - Observe your hair under different circumstances, differentt climates. Learn to understand what your hair does, not what you want it to do and build on that. Look inward at your own hair, not outward at someone else's.

Look, listen and learn - It's a given that other naturals know more than I do, especially if their hair is thick and long and beautiful, right? I'm so teachable!

Protection at night - Protect the hairline with a silk headwrap, guard against friction with a silk pillowcase. Anchor the hair in a loose puff or large twists so it doesn't shift or rub against itself.

Protection during the day - I wear my hair out 95% of the time. Protection means the right products applied to each strand and a soft gel for hold. And no touching (that one is hard).

Layers of moisture - Water. Moisturizing shampoos like shampoo bars or cleansing creams or a gentle castile soap (they aren't all equal). Liberal doses of conditioners with great slip and moisture and a little of the right protein for my hair. A little butter or oil. More conditioner. And gels, most of them aloe-vera based. Dirt-based deep treatments (Rhassoul clay, sisysphus spina christi) year round, moisturizing deep treatments in the winter.

Gentle detangling - if my cleanser is cleansing without stripping and my conditioner is loaded with slip and moisture, then I can finger detangle easily. A little KBB Hair Milk added to conditoner boosts its detangling ability. I do this at most twice a week.

Regular trims
- I get ends trimmed and shape adjusted 3 times a year. My hair is easiest to style right after a cut.

Low manipulation - After I style my hair wet, I leave it alone for up to 3 days, except to gather it into a pony puff at night, let it down in the morning and scrunch a little Set it Free and butter into it. No combing or brushing. When I dry twist at night, I use my fingers only to separate, and a little more product to smooth.

Learn what your hair needs to retain length--
Forget about growth. if you're healthy, growth is a given. Retaining length is the hard part. For me it's about babying my ends and boosting moisture. I've helped my ends stay put instead of snapping off like dry twigs by makinsure sure they are hydrated and soft. If I'm doing dry twists, a moisturizing custard or cream gets smoothed on the ends of those twists. If I'm bunning, the ends get moisturized with a lotion and a little baobab oil. On the second and third day of my wash and go I scrunch a moisture lock lotion and a little butter onto my ends. When my ends stay soft my hair retains length.

Celebrate each success, and learn from the challenges.

Last edited:
1. NO DIRECT HEAT (or at least minimize it as much as possible).
2. Wear my hair up at least 3-4 days a week.
3. Stretch my relaxers minimum 12, maximum 16 weeks.
4. Switch from no-lye to lye.
5. Make cardio exercise a regular part of my routine.
6. Add essential oils (like peppermint) to whatever I put on my scalp.
7. Deep condition Deep condition Deep condition!
8. Take supplements for overall good health (healthy body, healthy hair)
9. Eliminate sulfates
10. BE PATIENT! (that's the hardest for me :drunk:)
This just about says it all for my routine, especially #10.

1. Deep condition weekly.
2. limit heat
3.stretch relaxers 12 weeks
4.protein, moisture,protein, moisture
5.wrap your hair at night
6. I dont hide my hair but i protect my ends at least 4 days a week
7.moisturize daily...coconut and jojoba oil are great.
8. wide tooth comb
9.no brushing
10.don't jump on every bandwagon
11. patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12.trim split ends

ok am done lol

Back