your ULTIMATE TWIST-OUT (products?*?*?)

I haven't done a lot of twist-outs since April but my most reliable combinations are (done on damp hair, and listed in the order applied):

1. Donna Marie Buttermilk, Donna Marie Pomade, & Donna Marie Curling Cream
2. SheaMoisture Smoothie & Kinky Curly Custard
3. SheaMoisture Smoothie & Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue/Curly Pudding

I twist with oyin hair dew as a leave in under KCCC for a twistout with some hold. (my Avatar)

however Ive twisted with SheaMoisture deep treatment mask and Qhemet AOHC/BRBC with good results, only that definition doesnt last more than 1 day or a couple hours depending on the humidity.

Oh and I prefer chunky twistouts so I usually do about 25 - 30 twists

***BUMPING****

Need to do a braid-out for this weekend.....looking for hold, softness, shine and smell good, preferably all in one:look:

Bask Beauty Tapioca Cream + Seven Fold Butter

Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
DSC00966-e1309653184693.png

http://confessionsofablogvixen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DSC00966-e1309653184693.png

I mix 1 tablespoon of cold pressed olive oil to 1/2 cup of Cantu Shea Butter Leave in and apply it to freshly washed hair and twist in medium to sometimes small twists. I don't add anything else except some water spritz and a maybe a dab of the Cantu mix again until 4-5 days later when I wash and retwist.

I don't do twist outs on the regular but when I do they have come out great. Plus my twists are not greasy whatsoever but they stay feeling moisturized.

Here are a pic of my twists. Please forgive me managing to add my thinking chair in the pic. :lachen:

Attachments

• twists.jpg
    twists.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 115
Eco Styler gel for me! I loooove that stuff! My twists are soft, there's no flaking, good moisture, the hold and shine are amazing...I could go on and on. Perfect answer for my 4B natural hair. And it's cheap so that's even better!

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In and some pure shea butter for the ends at the crown and along the hairline. That's it!

I tried the Cantu Leave in for the first time tonight...I admit my hair does feel very soft. I think I put too much coconut oil to seal...my hands are super greasy each time I touch my hair. :nono:

My best twist outs have come from using my leave-in (Jessicurl Too Shea) and one of the following on damp hair:
Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (old formula) FAVORITE out of the bunch. Amazing! I will be sad when I run out since I hate the new formula.
Camille Rose JAI Twist Butter
Bee Mine Curly Butter
Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Pudding (if you don't mind cones)

I am quite surprised...the Cantu product was not bad at all. At least i can say my hair liked it way better than the SheaMoisture products. I used the leave in last night and tonight I used the coconut curling cream. For the price and convenience of getting it at the drugstore, I'm satisfied. My hair felt relatively soft and my twist outs weren't as frizzy. This product will hold me over as I explore other lines.
A word of caution, the Cantu Coconut Curling cream is a one man show...it's your moisture,your cream and your oil all in one. Once I lightly sprayed my hair with water, I put a small to med amount of the cream in my section of hair and that was it. I wouldn't apply anything else with it or else it will get to greasy.

Next on my test list of twisting products are:

-Darcy's
-Hairveda
-Oyin
-Silk dreams
-PB
-Jane carter.

No rush. I'm on a sample mission this year. :spinning:

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was just learning to take care of my hair and loved twist outs I used Shea moisture curl and style milk. That stuff was bomb. I never used a styler' just heavily hairspray when my twists are done and basically dry. I got some mean twist outs like that. Now that I think about it...I just might repurchase BC last time i tried to repurchase all that was left was the smoothie so I bought that 2x trying to give it the benefit of the doubt...its aight. Harder to work with and kinda unpredictable.

Another good one (and cheap!) Is the organic root stimulator loc and twist gel. Such shiny defined twists I got from it.
Also I find that the rope twisting technique rears great results.

Another good one (and cheap!) Is the organic root stimulator loc and twist gel. Such shiny defined twists I got from it.
Also I find that the rope twisting technique rears great results.

This works really well. I couldn't figure out what I use to use that gave me that really pretty twist out. Glad you reminded me, off to go purchase.

How is the hold....for $16 im hopimg its amazing on my hair.

The hold is ok. I usually can get two days from a twist out. It goes on very moist but when it dries the moisture leaves it is kinda dry and dull. I'm going to try and seal with oil. Sigh.... nothing is perfect. I have dense dry type 4 hair.

I bought mine from Target, and I am not impressed so far. It leaves my hair feeling coated or something, but I have only used it a few times.
I will try it out again b4 throwing it away.

Return it to target. Don't throw it away. They can find the receipt via your cc if needed.

The hold is ok. I usually can get two days from a twist out. It goes on very moist but when it dries the moisture leaves it is kinda dry and dull. I'm going to try and seal with oil. Sigh.... nothing is perfect. I have dense dry type 4 hair.

About the bolded, I was watching some YT videos and almost all of them showed how with most of these twist creams and products, an oil was used over them to seal them in and add shine to the twists and twist outs, even wash and gos. Honestly I thought that was the norm anyway.

I really like the Thank God I am Natural Twist and Define cream for my daughter's twist - outs (she has a ton of spongy, fine 4a hair). Twist outs come out defined, soft and the moisture lasts for several days. Second runner up (and what i like for my fine 3c hair), is the ORS Olive Oil Smooth and Hold Pudding.

I really like the Thank God I am Natural Twist and Define cream for my daughter's twist - outs (she has a ton of spongy, fine 4a hair). Twist outs come out defined, soft and the moisture lasts for several days. Second runner up (and what i like for my fine 3c hair), is the ORS Olive Oil Smooth and Hold Pudding.

I have the ORS Pudding and I agree that it is good however it is a soft hold. (Am I the only one who wishes they make it in a smaller size, smh) Since I have low porosity 4b hair I was looking for a more natural product that offers a decent hold, so that's why I've been exploring other options.
So far I've been eyeing:

As I Am twisting butter
Camille Rose Almond twisting butter
Jane Carter Nourish and Shine
Miss Jessie's line
Carol's daughter line
Curls line

@sunnydaze I will look into the cream that you suggested and see if they offer a sample size or a small size.

Last edited:
Back