You have been in a serious relationship for FOUR years and he finally proposed...!

Re: You have been in a serious relationship for FOUR years and he finally proposed...

I know broke men who get their GFs better rings than that.

When I was graduating college, our school handed out a book on life so to speak with lots of advice. The book said an engagement ring should cost 3 months worth of your salary.

That guideline originated from De Beers jewelers' marketing efforts many years ago. And it's stuck.

Re: You have been in a serious relationship for FOUR years and he finally proposed...

That guideline originated from De Beers jewelers' marketing efforts many years ago. And it's stuck.

Yep. And it's pure BS. People should get the ring that they can afford. But this here in the OP? It's nothing but a joke.

It looks like a "shut up" ring to me.

It looks like a "shut up" ring to me.

Yes, but you have to be the most desperate and basic of women to be content with a "shut up" ring that looks like that

Ladies, OP here.

It is a joke, but I will say my ex tried to propose to me with a ring that was somewhat bigger and gold marquise. I HATE GOLD and MARQUISE, we had NEVER been ring shopping together AND I'm 5'8", I need AT LEAST 1 carat.

I already had one foot out of the relationship, so I do think it was a 'buy more time' or 'shut up' ring. We'd been together for ~5 years and we were stagnant, I had lost some weight and was feeling frisky due to the lack of progression PLUS, I was moving away...THEN HE CAME with a POS ring that he'd never even consulted me on?!? That was my final straw for him. Clearly, he wasn't the one and didn't know me AT ALL.

I would've been embarrassed to wear that gold marquise .000000005 carat (lol) thing. HUMPH.

Last edited:

That is worse than a struggle diamond. That is a junior high birthstone ring.

He didn't plan that at all. He might as well have found that ring in the street.

i wouldn't accept it.

That would not impress me . In 4 years i d expect him to know me and get a ring that reflects his love and appreciation. If we were at the beginning stage and i was totally in love i would be thrilled by the proposal itself more than the ring.

Maybe that's her style? It's like when Mark Zuckerberg got engaged everyone was clowning the smallish ruby(I think?) ring that he got his wife. Saying that a man worth that much money should have done better.

Um, he was dating her for TEN years. He knows what she likes. Maybe this kind of ring is this woman's style. If a man doesn't know what you like after 4 years...:ohwell:

I wouldn't be staying around for four years to get this wack ring anyways.

:nono: He should have just given her a band in that case. Forget that struggle diamond.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using LHCF

Lmao @ struggle diamond...

There are way too many gem options even diamond simulants out there for a diamond speck to be an option.

I can't imagine being the store associate assisting him. "Let me show you what we have." "Smaller? Ok." "Smaller than that?" Ok. (Pause) Sir this is the smallest we have, would you like to look at a band.

:lachen:

$400 plus tax wedding band set from Walmart.com. 1/3 carat, 10 kt white gold. Even a cashier at McDonald's can afford this 4 yrs into the relationship. That ring in the OP is a joke.

They can get that with the first one or two checks. That ring looks decent. Some rings from Wal*Mart and K-Mart usually look cheap and tacky.

Ya'll going hard in here, but in the other threads on this subject some people said they had "struggle rings" or in some cases no ring at all or just a band and then got upgraded later.

But that's none of my business....:lachen: :look:

#ijustposthere....

The size of the diamond(s) don't matter to me. As long as the style is "me" and cute, I'll love it. Dh picked a very simple ring for me, but it's nice and simple and stylish. Just my style. :yep:

To me, the size if the diamond in the op isn't the issue. The ring is just ugly af, there's no other way to put it. :lol: If a man got me that ring, I'd have to re-evaluate the relationship.

So, I definitely don't believe in a ring costing 3 month's salary, and I really want to be a big person and say that ring is fine, but I did laugh. I had a small ring when my husband proposed, and I didn't think it was even possible that one as small as the one in the OP existed. I'd say get a band or a different stone. But I guess I'd rather have a small ring paid in cash than on credit.

That ring is hideous and I do not want a diamond at all.

Keeping it relative. I'd get up and walk away.

Now not being vain or over-the-top, but we've talked about rings and while I said 1 karat was more than enough for me, I was already told that I'm getting 2. So that nonsense. Uhm. No.

I know marriage isn't about ring size, but I would not be showing that off. It's crazy that we women laugh but the men are thinking about dang, what does she want?

Keeping it relative. I'd get up and walk away. Now not being vain or over-the-top, but we've talked about rings and while I said 1 karat was more than enough for me, I was already told that I'm getting 2. So that nonsense. Uhm. No.

SEE! That's what I'm talking about!!!!

I got 2+ also; this past weekend we went to a fight party and he saw a lady with a ring he thought may have been bigger than mine...we had to discuss it THE WHOLE RIDE HOME. I personally just think they were different cuts, but he did not like the thought of someone else's ring outshining mine. Grown, stable men talk **** with their dudes about whose wife has the bigger/more expensive ring; it's a pxssing contest for them.

Any 30+ man bringing some mess like this UNPROMPTED isn't for me.

It's supposed to be the thought that counts but that ring looks like no thought was put into it at all.. And if after 4 years, talks of marriage and rings haven't been discussed and all of a sudden, he brings home that bullsh*t, I would probably laugh in his face and tell him NEXT!!!!

My first thoughts looking at that ring is that:if that's all he can afford then he can't afford me or marriage or he really doesn't know me and just threw me a bone to keep me around and hanging on.... I'm not here for any of that!

Tbh, if marriage is what I'm after, I'm not sticking around 4 years hoping he might bring up marriage and damn sure not waiting for the possibility to be presented with that make believe ring. I'm speaking as a fresh 30 year old. :)

SEE! That's what I'm talking about!!!!

I got 2+ also; this past weekend we went to a fight party and he saw a lady with a ring he thought may have been bigger than mine...we had to discuss it THE WHOLE RIDE HOME. I personally just think they were different cuts, but he did not like the thought of someone else's ring outshining mine. Grown, stable men talk **** with their dudes about whose wife has the bigger/more expensive ring; it's a pxssing contest for them.

Any 30+ man bringing some mess like this UNPROMPTED isn't for me.

Funny how different men can be. I can't imagine my husband in a million years noticing another woman's ring.

I'm not even convinced that the diamond is real.

I would take a pic so that my new boyfriend and I can have a good laugh about it.

Funny how different men can be. I can't imagine my husband in a million years noticing another woman's ring.

My SO does. He's thought about, he notices stuff honestly because he decides if I need it. (in a that looks nice, let me go buy it for her way) My step dad was the same way.

Mine does all the time. It's mostly so he can give himself a pat on the back about how well he did designing it.

It's not about admiring the other woman's ring, it's about comparing it.

Last edited:

I could say that my husband wouldn't think about looking at another woman's ring because we've been married for 30 years and it's way past that point, but it never would have occurred to him even when we were engaged. Admiring or comparing - it's just not his thing. He is competitive in other areas, though! I just think it's interesting.

Back