You have been in a serious relationship for FOUR years and he finally proposed...!

Re: You have been in a serious relationship for FOUR years and he finally proposed...

Are the couple teenagers? :look:

That's a small ring, isn't it, by American standards?

Re: You have been in a serious relationship for FOUR years and he finally proposed...

NO!

I know a girl at work who got a ring like that... A year after the proposal, they are no longer together ... And no, the man is an investigator for the police dept, making a good chunk of change....

:nono: He should have just given her a band in that case. Forget that struggle diamond.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using LHCF

Are the couple teenagers? :look:

That's a small ring, isn't it, by American standards?

FlowerHair are rings in sweden just bands? I saw some richie rich fashion blogger just got engaged and her ring was just a band.

FlowerHair are rings in sweden just bands? I saw some richie rich fashion blogger just got engaged and her ring was just a band.

Yes, I would say 90% of all rings here are just bands with no stones or just inserted flat stones so to speak.

There's another difference here too - we splurge on the wedding ring as opposed to the engagement ring. When we get engaged, both the man and the woman get a ring (plain rings). At the wedding only the bride gets a ring (usually a nicer one, sometimes with a stone, but most often without).

Men of wealth usually have very heavy, solid and thick gold bands. Women's rings are perhaps a tad bit more decorated. White gold or platinum seems to be the in thing right now.

Actually, the ring in the OP looks very similar to a ring I wore when I was engaged once in my youth. But my ring was more than twice as thick and the stone was larger. He wasn't Swedish, so I got a non-traditional ring.

Last edited:

No man who knows me well enough to ask me to marry him will present me with a ring like that.

A former classmate of mine got a ring like that and was flashing it on facebook. I was like :S

I know broke men who get their GFs better rings than that.

When I was graduating college, our school handed out a book on life so to speak with lots of advice. The book said an engagement ring should cost 3 months worth of your salary.

Yes, I would say 90% of all rings here are just bands with no stones or just inserted flat stones so to speak.

There's another difference here too - we splurge on the wedding ring as opposed to the engagement ring. When we get engaged, both the man and the woman get a ring (plain rings). At the wedding only the bride gets a ring (usually a nicer one, sometimes with a stone, but most often without).

Men of wealth usually have very heavy, solid and thick gold bands. Women's rings are perhaps a tad bit more decorated. White gold or platinum seems to be the in thing right now.

Actually, the ring in the OP looks very similar to a ring I wore when I was engaged once in my youth. But my ring was more than twice as thick and the stone was larger. He wasn't Swedish, so I got a non-traditional ring.

Thanks I was wondering about that. I actually prefer the Swedish system to the American system. You get the good stuff when you make it down the aisle. No suing in court over your gold band.

Their engagement rings are Cartier love rings though, so definitely nothing to sneeze at.

You guys are WRONG and funny as heck!
What's even more interesting is how we are correlating the size of a stone with the size of the love/commitment to someone. Dang!
But still...I"m laughing....Am I too brainwashed? *gulp*

I know broke men who get their GFs better rings than that.

When I was graduating college, our school handed out a book on life so to speak with lots of advice. The book said an engagement ring should cost 3 months worth of your salary.

I've heard this too but that's disturbing to me.
The test will be when I get mine. Then Ima be asking for a copy of that book to hand over. :lachen:

all im saying is there are payment plans that within the four yrs he could've gotten his funds together for a more appropriate ring...

couldn't be me as i dont do small diamonds/stones...

It's not the size but what is that? A diamond booger? I'd be offended actually because my SO just bought an expensive Rolex for his birthday in May. Like, what? His wallet costs more than that ring. The funny thing is I am not a jewelry person but that ring is offensive. A band would have been nice.

I'd tell him to put it back in the vending machine where he found it.

This.

Is that thing real? Seems like you could buy a better one at Walmart. If money was really an issue, we're young and getting on our feet, just give me a band. :nono:

This.

Is that thing real? Seems like you could buy a better one at Walmart. If money was really an issue, we're young and getting on our feet, just give me a band. :nono:

I'm pretty certain it is. I didn't know they made those sizes until my former classmate was showing off hers.

It's not the size but what is that? A diamond booger? I'd be offended actually because my SO just bought an expensive Rolex for his birthday in May. Like, what? His wallet costs more than that ring. The funny thing is I am not a jewelry person but that ring is offensive. A band would have been nice.

ITA, I would be offended by the ring depending on the circumstance and the type of man he is. If you're in high school or college and broke, then, yes it's the thought the counts. But if she knows his arse makes six figures and will spend money on Ferragamo's and a Lexus, but gives me a ring like that, she needs to leave ASAP. Because that shows he's selfish and won't spend money on you for any reason, shoot that's probably a " let me shut this chick up with all this marriage talk ring"

Last edited:

I'd tell him to try again. If that's all he can afford, then he can't afford a wife.

You guys are WRONG and funny as heck!
What's even more interesting is how we are correlating the size of a stone with the size of the love/commitment to someone. Dang!
But still...I"m laughing....Am I too brainwashed? *gulp*

I don't like diamonds and have refused several in my lifetime. Even I would be insulted by that gerber diamond. That's what your first love (elementary school) gives you when he halting declares his eternal love and devotion. That is not a grown man ring.

ITA, I would be offended by the ring depending on the circumstance and the type of man he is. If you're in high school or college and broke, then, yes it's the thought the counts. But if I know his arse makes six figures and will spend money Ferragamo's and a Lexus, but gives me a ring like that, she needs to leave ASAP. Because that shows he's selfish and won't spend money on you for any reason, shoot that's probably a " let me shut this chick up with all this marriage talk ring"

Well that would shut me up. I would be speechless but not in a good way.

Struggle diamond...struggle life. :yep: j/k :look:

This.

There are way too many gem options even diamond simulants out there for a diamond speck to be an option.

I can't imagine being the store associate assisting him. "Let me show you what we have." "Smaller? Ok." "Smaller than that?" Ok. (Pause) Sir this is the smallest we have, would you like to look at a band.

$400 plus tax wedding band set from Walmart.com. 1/3 carat, 10 kt white gold. Even a cashier at McDonald's can afford this 4 yrs into the relationship. That ring in the OP is a joke.

Attachments

• 0007500098940_180X180.jpg
    0007500098940_180X180.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 172

If the cosmetics of a ring make you say no to a man that ask you to marry him... then you probably don't deserve it anyway. But OAN... glad my ring doesn't look like that. LOL

Back