Women are now paying for their own engagement rings

msdeevee

A friend admitted that he didn't buy his wife's ring (Jewish woman). Her parents gave him the grandma's ring. They got a bit worried when he didn't propose for a few weeks after they gave him the ring. It turns out that it took a bit longer to propose since he did change out the center stone.

This has been going on for centuries especially among Caucasians. I found this out years ago when I was working outside the home. These Jewish and Italian girls would come to work flashing their big diamond engagement rings and we'd be so enthralled by the size of their rings. One girl finally told us that her parents bought her engagement ring.

Like a lot of you my DH could not afford much of a ring when we got engaged but he has upgraded me twice over the years . I now have a beautiful canary yellow diamond that I love.

I also totally agree with hopeful. I tell all my unmarried friends , the way you start out with a man will be the way you end up with him.

...Female respondents reported putting money down on their own ring to help out a less financially stable partner, paying for a ring with a joint account, or, in a few cases, agreeing to contribute in exchange for a larger rock.
So, in essence, these women wouldn't have to pay for their engagement rings if they were willing to get a smaller, less flashy ring that their SO could actually afford on his own. I guess having "the" ring is that important to them.

many jewish families and indians do this...not surprised..

ppl walking around with "a man they are working with his situation" and a rock their father paid for...i get it...

No! No! No! Shoot...when my DH proposed to me he was so broke he didn't even have a ring to give me. And had the nerves to still get down on one knee. LOL! I think for about 3 months I didn't have one which was fine with me because he said he'd buy one as soon as he could and I knew he would. There was never a suggestion that I chip in! He bought a cute little diamond, because he still wasn't making much. His business was struggling. A couple of years later or so he upgraded me to a beautiful new wedding set!

Now, here's the thing... when he finally COULD afford a large diamond for me he took me shopping and I tried on all kinds of 1 and 2 caret diamonds. NOT ONE of them even looked right. Way too gaudy for my little fingers. We ended up finding a 1/2 (or less) caret surrounded by other tiny stones that I'm very happy with! So yeah, diamonds and rings to me are over rated, but I still wouldn't buy my own though. I don't believe in that.

Isn't a proposal without a ring a conversation? Like what happened after he got up?

I'm actually curious - no shade

How do people feel about a ring the man did not pay for? I am not talking about a family heirloom or tradition that gets passed on, like "this my grandma's ring" or every first born guy in the family proposed with this ring...

There are many guys I know who proposed with rings that their parents paid for because the guy himself could not afford a ring. Or if he could, he could not afford one that expensive. What's your opinion of that?

How do people feel about a ring the man did not pay for? I am not talking about a family heirloom or tradition that gets passed on, like "this my grandma's ring" or every first born guy in the family proposed with this ring...

There are many guys I know who proposed with rings that their parents paid for because the guy himself could not afford a ring. Or if he could, he could not afford one that expensive. What's your opinion of that?

I wouldn't mind if a guy proposed with a family heirloom if it had sentimental value to him....although my preference would always be to pick out my own ring.

I wouldn't take a guy seriously who had his parents pay for my engagement ring. If you can't afford to buy a ring out of your own pocket you shouldn't be proposing marriage IMO. :nono:

I wouldn't mind if a guy proposed with a family heirloom if it had sentimental value to him....although my preference would always be to pick out my own ring.

I wouldn't take a guy seriously who had his parents pay for my engagement ring. If you can't afford to buy a ring out of your own pocket you shouldn't be proposing marriage IMO. :nono:
I thought about this for a second and I really have to agree. I'd prefer a ring that cost a couple hundred that he worked and saved for to a blinding jewel that his parents had to buy.

Anyways if they are going to contribute money I'd prefer it go to a down payment on a house.

I'd be fine with it. It's like living in a house his parents paid for/helped pay for.

Back