WIG CHALLENGE 2009

Please add me Curlidiva. I followed along unofficially in 08- but would like to make it official. I mostly use 1/2 wigs, I am more likely to use full wigs from weeks 5-8 post relaxer. I alternate my wigs with bunning.

IMO I think my edges do way better with half wigs than full wigs- when I do wear full wigs I put a satin type headband around my edges.....
hblhcf.jpg

I am wanting to come up with a homemade U shaped wig so that I can wear a part that shows my scalp.......when I create something I will be sure to post pictures.
What a creative idea! (The U Shaped wig)
Make sure to tell us ladies about how it turns out! It sounds great

What a creative idea! (The U Shaped wig)
Make sure to tell us ladies about how it turns out! It sounds great

Hey Waitingtogrow. Welcome to the challenge!

Here is the finished U shaped wig, I basically cut a slit/part in my LF and sewed wig clips on either side of the LF.

LFLHCF.jpg

Also just wanted to share my newest edition to my wig stash,
This is from the Janet Collection-Ella, It's human hair and was only $40- I got it from Best Hair World online.

I trimmed the bangs because I hate hair in my eyes.
janetcollection.jpg

How do you loosen a wig if it's too snug?

This is from the Janet Collection-Ella, It's human hair and was only $40- I got it from Best Hair World online.

janetcollection.jpg

I love this!:yep:

OK ladies, so how are you wearing your real hair when you put on half wigs? Do you wear a headband over your hair, or cornrows/flat twists, or do you try to comb your hair into the wig for a complete blend? Cuz I'm natural and my hair wont' blend with most of my wigs.. I'm thinking about cornrowing my leave out area and wearing them like that.

My latest wig ...
Its a human hair lace wig I got from my local BSS for cheeeeap (they hooked me up with a frequent shopper discount) :grin:

Lace-1-1.jpg

OK ladies, so how are you wearing your real hair when you put on half wigs? Do you wear a headband over your hair, or cornrows/flat twists, or do you try to comb your hair into the wig for a complete blend? Cuz I'm natural and my hair wont' blend with most of my wigs.. I'm thinking about cornrowing my leave out area and wearing them like that.

I always blend my hair. IMO, there's nothing wrong with wearing a headband with a half wig, but it's a dead giveaway that you are wearing fake hair. :ohwell: The half wigs that I do have are textured, because I know that my straight hair will not blend well with a wig. The newest wig I bought (in my avatar) resembles a braidout, so I will cornrow the hair that is going to be left out in the front overnight, and will blend the hair. Sometimes I will just wear the hair all pushed back (kind like in my siggy). There are also other ideas in my wig fotki albums.

I've been wearing a lot more full wigs in the past year but with half wigs I usually wear a hard plastic headband or a scarf headband. I'll just gel my edges down and pull the headband back just enough so you can see my hairline. I don't have time for all that blending. Sometimes if I'm wearing a straight one I'll flat iron my hair in the front but most of the time I don't feel like being bothered.

I always blend my hair. IMO, there's nothing wrong with wearing a headband with a half wig, but it's a dead giveaway that you are wearing fake hair. :ohwell: The half wigs that I do have are textured, because I know that my straight hair will not blend well with a wig. The newest wig I bought (in my avatar) resembles a braidout, so I will cornrow the hair that is going to be left out in the front overnight, and will blend the hair. Sometimes I will just wear the hair all pushed back (kind like in my siggy). There are also other ideas in my wig fotki albums.

A trained eye will be able to tell 99% of the time no matter how much blending you do. That's why I stopped caring. As long as it looks close it's not really a big deal to regular people. Its no different than blending with a weave. Some people can't get that right. I will admit that it was easier to blend when my hair was relaxed. As a natural it's not. It's rare to find a wig that will match your hair. Not so much the texture but for me my hair is not shiny so you could see the difference from the wig. Straight hair will always have more of a shine to it versus naps because of the way the light reflects off of it.

But you know what - I hate seeing people with the half wigs just up there on top of their gelled back hair though. Like we can't see that line. :rolleyes: They can at least put a headband or something on. I think the headband thing is easier for naturals.

A trained eye will be able to tell 99% of the time no matter how much blending you do. That's why I stopped caring. As long as it looks close it's not really a big deal to regular people. Its no different than blending with a weave. Some people can't get that right. I will admit that it was easier to blend when my hair was relaxed. As a natural it's not. It's rare to find a wig that will match your hair. Not so much the texture but for me my hair is not shiny so you could see the difference from the wig. Straight hair will always have more of a shine to it versus naps because of the way the light reflects off of it.

But you know what - I hate seeing people with the half wigs just up there on top of their gelled back hair though. Like we can't see that line. :rolleyes: They can at least put a headband or something on. I think the headband thing is easier for naturals.

Good points. :yep: I like keeping people guessing though, even if it is just for an extra minute. :lol: And I TOTALLY agree with the bolded. :nono:

I am doing well on the challenge. However, I am having a problem with my wigs. I bought two wigs from Freetress and they get knotted in the back. I've cut out the matted mess from the back, but if you guys have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

What is the name of it? It is very cute!

I am doing well on the challenge. However, I am having a problem with my wigs. I bought two wigs from Freetress and they get knotted in the back. I've cut out the matted mess from the back, but if you guys have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

The same thing is happening with mine. I discovered that it is happening when I wear my scarf. Synthetic wigs... what can you expect? :ohwell:

me~:rolleyes:

Thanks
This used to happen to me all the time with my weaves!

I just determined that I needed to treat the fake hair as I would my real hair to avoid this nape damage.

Things like detangle gently, no rough clothes or tangling necklaces really helped.

I know I sound like a broken record…….BUT THIS REALLY WORKS…….soak your wig in 1 part water/1 part fabric softener and when dry your wig will look brand new!

Hey Waitingtogrow. Welcome to the challenge!

Here is the finished U shaped wig, I basically cut a slit/part in my LF and sewed wig clips on either side of the LF.

LFLHCF.jpg

janetcollection.jpg

Wow SelfStyled - both of these styles look great!:grin:

Try air drying your wig on a “bulked” a wig head (build up your wig head by adding maybe layers washcloths on the head and then add a wig cap to hold them in place) so that it dries for a looser fit.

Thanks

I find what helps my wigs last longer and helps me avoid having to cut out knots is to simply comb out the tangling after I take the wig off.

When I take it off at night, I moisturize my real hair and put on my sleep bonnet. Then I comb the tangles out of the wig and put it back in its bag till the next time I wear it.

I have been wondering this myself. I have a big head and a lot of hair I'm trying to stuff under there... some wigs are too small to accomodate it all.

Try air drying your wig on a “bulked” a wig head (build up your wig head by adding maybe layers washcloths on the head and then add a wig cap to hold them in place) so that it dries for a looser fit.

Thank you so much Curlidiva for this tip. You are the wig guru!

I'm in. I started the wig challenge a few weeks ago unexpectedly after finding out that my natural hair is not holding up too well in humid hot air. Anyhow, my regiment is the following:

1. Hair is cornrowed underneath and rebraided shampooed and conditioned once a
week or when I have the time
2. Hair is moisturised with leave in twice a day
3. The ends of my hair I use my Qhemet Biologics tuck it all in

Let's see how this works.

Best,
Almond Eyes

how are you taking care of your hair underneath when wearing the wigs? is full wigs or half wigs better?

My regimen:
MN and sulfur 8
Wash every two days with Burt's Bees or other vegan/natural shampoo
Condition with Alter Ego
Two strand twist
for moisture is use a mix of glycerin and aloe to coat the twisted strands and then I use castor oil to seal.
I baggy overnight
In the morning I put on my silk bonnet and my wig and I am out the door.

I use a full wig. I think it all depends on your preference. I like having my hair covered fully while it recovers and grows.

Hope this was useful.

Back