WIG CHALLENGE 2009

Count me in too Diva....... Now, I will invest and get a digi camera so that I can take pics of my progress. Wearing wigs are less expensive than getting a full sew in. :yep:

YAY!!!! I'm planning on upping my wig game in 2009 after seeing Chavas' growth. :yep: I'm getting sick of my real hair anyway. :giggle:

Chavas is my motivation 2. She's so nice - she's even willing 2 do a wig consult w/me so that DH can be happy. He has "issues" w/wigs but she's going to help me find nice, natural looking 1s so we don't have 2 fall out.

Please add me Curlidiva. I followed along unofficially in 08- but would like to make it official. I mostly use 1/2 wigs, I am more likely to use full wigs from weeks 5-8 post relaxer. I alternate my wigs with bunning.

IMO I think my edges do way better with half wigs than full wigs- when I do wear full wigs I put a satin type headband around my edges.....
hblhcf.jpg

I am wanting to come up with a homemade U shaped wig so that I can wear a part that shows my scalp.......when I create something I will be sure to post pictures.

I think this is a good idea. When I was really wigging it a few years ago, I had a short rectangular silk scarf & I would wrap it around my hairline & then carefully put a satin-y wig cap over it - It took a minute to work the cap over the scarf w/o it falling off - I never tied it so it wouldn't be tight but I never had any hairline damage. :nono:

I don't know how successful I will be (because my husband HATES wigs) but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm going to purchase a LF wig next week just in time for the beginning of this challenge. So that being said:

Countmein.jpg

That's my problem 2 but hopefully Chavas will help me solve that. I'm hoping that the 1/2 wigs will look less wiggy to him.

So...I fell off the wagon last year. Plus DH threw one of my wigs in the trash. :sad: I just ordered one of the 1s that Bluediamond suggested from Golden Beauty Mart. Thanks 2 Joyousnerd I have 3 cute phony ponies & sometime in the next month or so I'll be doing my wig consult w/Chavas.

Right now I'm in tree braids until the 13th. Once I take them out, I will be getting my hair straightened once every other week & wearing my hair in buns, phony ponies, half & full wigs. I, too, will post pics as I wear each one.

Is it too late you join? If not, count me in.

I've been wearing a lacefront wig since I cut off all my hair on 10/01/08.

Chavas is my motivation 2. She's so nice - she's even willing 2 do a wig consult w/me so that DH can be happy. He has "issues" w/wigs but she's going to help me find nice, natural looking 1s so we don't have 2 fall out.

I think this is a good idea. When I was really wigging it a few years ago, I had a short rectangular silk scarf & I would wrap it around my hairline & then carefully put a satin-y wig cap over it - It took a minute to work the cap over the scarf w/o it falling off - I never tied it so it wouldn't be tight but I never had any hairline damage. :nono:

That's my problem 2 but hopefully Chavas will help me solve that. I'm hoping that the 1/2 wigs will look less wiggy to him.

So...I fell off the wagon last year. Plus DH threw one of my wigs in the trash. :sad: I just ordered one of the 1s that Bluediamond suggested from Golden Beauty Mart. Thanks 2 Joyousnerd I have 3 cute phony ponies & sometime in the next month or so I'll be doing my wig consult w/Chavas.

Right now I'm in tree braids until the 13th. Once I take them out, I will be getting my hair straightened once every other week & wearing my hair in buns, phony ponies, half & full wigs. I, too, will post pics as I wear each one.

I'm glad she's helping you out! I used to have that problem as well with my "SO." Now he's always trying to figure out if I'm wearing a wig or if it's my real hair. I guess I've been doing a better job of picking the wigs. I also wear more half wigs rather than full wigs, and I think that does make a difference. :yep:

I did this in 07 and/or 08 and grew some serious hair! I encourage all to take it seriously, meaning, don't fall off the bandwagon. At least do it consistently for 3-5 months and the growth will do all the talkin'.

I'm in! I've been wearing my wig everyday since October and hope to wear a wig through the entire year of 09 while I transition. I shouldn't be on here because I'm at work :grin: but is there already a thread of sites to find affordable wigs? I apologize if that's already posted but I think that would be a great way to find wigs tofind cute change ups through the challenge.

I'm in! I've been wearing my wig everyday since October and hope to wear a wig through the entire year of 09 while I transition. I shouldn't be on here because I'm at work :grin: but is there already a thread of sites to find affordable wigs? I apologize if that's already posted but I think that would be a great way to find wigs tofind cute change ups through the challenge.

hey sweetie,

Happy new year to you! Have you tried hairsisters.com and gmbs.com? If not, you could start with those two. HS is having a great sale so definitely check them out.

Attention Wig Challengers!

Hairsisters.com is STILL running the sale on wigs, half wigs, and drawstring/half wig pieces, even though it was supposed to end the day after Christmas!

Savebeauty.com has some great wigs too for cheap, and $6 flat rate shipping. Sometimes they file stuff under wierd categories, though, so be sure to look under all the wig subcategories in order to see the full selection.

Now go stock up, y'all!

My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read this...thankfully I didn't break any keys on my computer trying to get to that site! Thank you!!!

hey sweetie,

Happy new year to you! Have you tried hairsisters.com and gmbs.com? If not, you could start with those two. HS is having a great sale so definitely check them out.
I just saw this, I'm going to hairsisters RIGHT now! Thank you for gmbs also, I need all the sites I can get because my poor wig needs a break. Happy New Year to you also!

I'll be alternating between wigs and the c&g method. I've been rocking my wig for about a month now. Still looking for the perfect moisturizer to use on my real hair. I might get some 14 in 1 HS spray this weekend.

Last edited:
Now this is a challenge I need to join, I been wearing and selling lace wigs off and on for two years now, I was just keepin my hair braided up underneath, but I was not really taking care of it like I should as far as DC, CW, moisture..etc..etc. So now that I have joined this forum and gained a plethora of knowledge on hair growth and good products, I can continue with my lace wigs and get some hair growth why I wear it. Sign me Up!

Did you use a wig to achieve this growth? If so any advice for me since I am a first timer.

Yes, wearing wigs helped me to retain this growth. I've been wearing wigs consistently since July 2007. I cut off all my hair (bald) in May 2006. I will continue to wear wigs until I reach my hair goal.

My best advice would be to keep your hair moisturized (weekly deep conditioning, daily moisturizing, cowashing, etc.) and protected (satin or silk scarves underneath the wig/wig cap; I wear a satin doorag). I would also recommend that you plait or cornrow your hair under the wigs (I cornrow my hair in a circle—as if I was doing a weave.)

On of my inspiration is Poetist. She consistently wore lacefronts and followed a disciplined regimen. She eventually surpassed her expectations and achieved beautiful midback length hair.

Last edited:
I'll be alternating between wigs and the c&g method. I've been rocking my wig for about a month now. Still looking for the perfect moisturizer to use on my real hair. I might get some 14 in 1 HS spray this weekend.

Am I the only 1 that didn't like this? I bought some - if u were n Atlanta, I'd tell u 2 drive over & get mine. I think 4 ends only it may be fine but I put it all over my hair & me no likey...:nono:

I just ordered a wig from wiggalicious wigs. There wigs look really nice. I'll let y'all know about the quality when I receive my Jaya.

Hey there sweetie,

Happy New year to you love! What type of vinegar should you soak the wig in(white or acv) also how long do you let it soak for?

tia,
tishee

I just soak mine in plain white vinegar, althought ACV which people use on their real hair may work even better.

I never really pay attention to how long it soaks. You should notice that the water has a cloudy appearance.

Also, let your wig totally air dry before you try to comb or style it.

Good luck,:yep:
Curli D

I wanna join.:look: Off to buy a satin doo rag or cap. (stocking caps put too much friction on my nape)

I'll be:

DC'ing 2-3 times a week
Ayurvedic co washes 4-5 times a week (if not everyday)
Sealing with Olive, Castor, coconut or Vatika oil
Moisturizing with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 or BB Castor Oil moisturizer

I'm trying to get SL by June (if not sooner) and APL by Dec 09.

Hey Ladies,

Please develop a regimen for your REAL HAIR!

I can’t stress this enough, this challenge is about the health and growth of your REAL HAIR, the wig is just an aide or tool….. like a silk scarf or a bun……. to offer protection and style.:yep:

Here are my growth aids:

1) Internal; Br*nzeB*mshell's Hairgrowth Shake
2) External; StillALady's Boundless Tresses
3) HSilky 14 and 1
4) Organic Root Stimulator Hair Lotion

Here's my regimen for my real hair:

co-wash daily
deep condition twice a week
MT & OCT every other day
massage my scalp daily
'poo w/Castile soap once a week

I have a simple regimen for now as I am still in my hip-length braids and that is to wash them once a week with castile soap mixed with one of my WEN cleansing conditioners, then DC without heat afterwards.

Now as far as my natural hair when I am wearing wigs:

Prepoo with any leftover oil or cheapie conditioner I have handy.

Shampoo with Jason Natural Thin to Thick poo.

Deep condition with one of my many deep conditioners I have and I'm now incorporating more protein conditioners mixed in with my moisturizing conditioner.

Apply leave in conditioner/treatment - Salerm 21, Profectiv Anti-tangle or Cantu Shea Butter leave-in for when I am stretching my relaxer, or lacio lacio. I use UBH lotion creme moisturizer for my daily misturizer.

I am SO in. Please...
I just bought my wig. It resembles very closely my last permed hair style.
yhst-88462588038071_2035_268660116

My regimen for my real hair will be as follows:
-Co-wash twice weekly
-Prepoo with coconut oil when shampoo day
-Shampoo with CV Shampoo Bar Mud and Clay, or Honey Beer and Egg if needed
-Clarify with citrus/chamomile shampoo as needed
-DC weekly with AO WC conditioner, evoo, honey mix under thermal cap for 30 minutes
-DC twice monthly with henna and herb mixture/mayonnaise
-Use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor as needed
-Use Giovanni leave in conditioner on plaits with un-vaseline on ends
That's it. The wig will be to help me grow my hair, not a cop-out.

Back