Why Is The Birth Of A Second Child So Hard On Marriages?

brittle_hair

I'm pregnant with number two and was reading articles about going from 1 child to 2 and came across this article. Slightly worrying cos it makes complete sense to me as to why there would be an extra strain... at least there's some advice at the end of it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/sama...ond-child-so-hard-on-marriages_b_7813074.html

After a reader wrote in about her husband messaging women online after the birth of their second child, a few readers asked why the time immediately following the birth of the second child is usually so hard on marriages. This is a known low point for many marriage. To be honest, I don’t often see couples in counseling who only have one child. When I do, these couples have problems that are more deep seated and long standing. Problems that arise mainly from stress, distance, exhaustion, and resentment over division of labor of childcare and housework are usually the domain of couples with two or more children.

Why? Because having an only child is probably easier on your marriage (although harder on the kid, sometimes). You get to hand off parenting, the baby stage only happens once, you get your sex drive and your body back and never lose it again in another pregnancy, you’re more likely to stay working if you’re a working mom and keep that part of your identity, and so forth. Research even shows that mothers with more than one child are less happy than mothers with only children, probably for all the reasons I just stated.

So, now that you, parent of two kids, feel relieved and less alone in the struggles you had in this critical period (and you parents of one child are reaffirmed in your decision to stop at one), here are 10 reasons why this period is especially risky for a marriage, from my observations as a couples counselor and a mom of three:

1. Dad has to step up.

With the first baby, a dad who isn’t that “into babies” can get by with a couple diaper changes here and there, especially if his wife is very hands-on (or obsessive) and/or has her own mom/mother-in-law around all the time. However, with baby #2, Dad must truly step up to the plate, and often ends up parenting the toddler or older child while mom is with the baby. No matter how enthusiastically Dad takes to his new role (and some men welcome and greatly value their increased responsibility), this is often a major change, taking some of the mother’s identity away as the primary caretaker of the older child. This change means that the couple may fight over: how dad parents, whether he is parenting up to her standard, and the transition, from his perspective, of never getting any breaks from the kids anymore. To which the mom will often say, “I never get any breaks either so screw you!” You can see how this degenerates rapidly.

2. No more “cute couple plus baby.”

Two parents plus two kids equals a lot of people. You two just don’t feel like a couple anymore, it’s more like Mom and Dad, which is a new and unromantic identity. No longer can this adorable couple just put their adorable baby in an Ergo and go to the farmer’s market, and hold hands and kiss. Taking two kids to the farmer’s market is such a disaster that you start ordering Peapod. Screw eating local.

3. The older child is probably a toddler now.

Toddlers suck at the best of times, but even more if they get much less attention, are jealous of the baby, and have many routine changes (because mom is too tired to keep the old schedule in order and dad is taking over and doing things his way).

4. Mom’s sex drive is 100 percent gone.

Maybe she could keep it together with one kid, but once she’s parenting a toddler plus a newborn during the day, nursing or feeding a baby all night, and also still has all the baby weight, there is no way she is feeling it. Not only is she feeling fat, but nursing can eliminate sex drive hormonally, and her resentment toward her husband for whatever he’s doing wrong with the toddler is not helping anything.

5. The couple now is less likely to use babysitters or go out.

A family member may have volunteered to watch one baby, but watching a baby and a toddler together is much harder. Also, the parents are less likely to use a paid sitter (although they should; read this!), because they are more worried about finances, and they may also feel guilty leaving the toddler when he’s having difficulty adjusting to the birth of his sibling. Not to mention that they doubt that a sitter could successfully watch both kids, since you, the parents, can barely do it.

6. The novelty has worn off.

Yeah, you love the second baby, but it’s not the same feeling of novelty and honeymoon stage bliss as with the first. So you’re not running on new-love endorphins, but on exhaustion, guilt, resentment, fatigue, and bad body image. A little less blissful.

7. You have no time for anything.

Basically, any minute when the baby is asleep is a minute when you feel you should either be with the toddler or doing your laundry, which has quadrupled. Since it’s not new and exciting anymore that you have a baby, you get a lot less help from parents and in-laws, too, plus, by now, your siblings may be having their first babies and your parents are all into that, since that’s a cute first baby, not a second baby that comes as a package deal with a snot covered jealous toddler.

8. Dad is now #3.

With one baby, sometimes that baby goes to sleep and then mom’s attention is back on him. But now, when the baby goes to sleep, mom’s attention is on the toddler. If she is working too, then her career (which has now suffered through two maternity leaves and multiple days she has to take off whenever the older child has gotten sick) may be #3, and Dad is #4. Either way, he misses being #1. This is also increasingly evident in reverse; the more involved dads gets, the more they also prioritize the kids over romance. I especially observe this in older dads who are really focused on their kids, and then their wives get jealous too, but wives are less likely to admit this.

9. Everything requires more organization.

And guess who usually fills this role? You got it, Mom. And since she’s also nursing, irritable, and feeling guilty over her neglected toddler, she may forget some of the stuff on her schedule, which makes her feel incompetent as well. Often she lashes out at her husband, asking why he never looks at the goddamn calendar, and things devolve from there.

10. Money.

Now that you have two kids, you start realizing that it’s twice the money for preschool, daycare, sports, lessons, and one day, college! Often this is a major source of anxiety. I mean, you knew two kids would be expensive, but it’s not till you see that little face and start paying co-pays up the wazoo for twice as many doctor’s visits that you realize the extent of your financial ruin.

Once the dust settles, around when baby #2 is 6 months, some of these issues may resolve themselves. But if you still find yourself fighting, feeling that you don’t know or love your partner, and feeling extremely resentful, it would be a good time to see a couples counselor.

So, if you’re struggling after baby #2, do the following:

1. Wait till 6 months before you make any rash decisions, like that you don’t love each other anymore.

2. Start having sex again, even if you’re not feeling it.

3. Start trying to do nice things again for your spouse, even if it feels fake at first.

4. Start doing date nights, or even stay at home date nights if that’s all you can swing right now, emotionally and/or financially.

5. Stop with the small talk. When you have some down time, turn off the TV and ask each other real questions.

6. Accept that your life has changed, and work together as a team to come up with some practical compromises and ways to make your lives better (e.g., weekly sitter, mother’s helpers, therapy, scheduling sex, not criticizing one another’s parenting, housekeeper twice a month, grocery delivery, ordering in more, designated alone time for socializing/working out for each parent, and so forth).

Hopefully, you and your spouse can weather this tough time. Many lunatics even go on to have a third baby! Crazy, I tell you. Anyway, until we meet again, I remain, The Blogapist Who Says The Third Was So Much Easier It’s Not Even Funny, Because You Just Stop Caring About Most Things.

A lot of this is very true. The key is for both people to be unselfish. It is just a time people have to get through. I am pregnant with #3. It’s not easy raising kids. And we are talking about healthy kids. Imagine those who have children that are sick or mentally disabled. If one has a no good spouse the marriage will definitely suffer.

For us, our children make us very happy. They are quite the characters. I don’t know if you are a Christian but prayer helps.

I read this article hard!!:lachen:
like twice over. DH and I didn't want my daughter to be an only child (Homegirl chases us around the house with her dolls looking for one of us to help her reenact a scene from her movies or Youtube videos. It's crazy listening to DH and his falsetto when he plays Anna from Frozen). and so we got pregnant....and God laughed at my two child plans. We had twins. and they're boys so no little sister who can play dolls. and I have gone from a one child mom to a three.

Insanity. I don't even have time to write this post properly.

Things were definitely off track after my last pregnancy. I had twins, so we went from having a toddler to having a toddler and two infants. I had also just left my job to become a sahm. I remember talking to my husband about how I was feeling and in a nutshell he told me to suck it up because we have kids and need to get through it together. While his candor was a tad bit off-putting, it was comforting to know that his mindset was that we need to push through this time of transition together. Ironically, we had more date nights after the twins were born. Being able to get away for a night was helpful. Also, my husband is extremely helpful. He would do baths while I cleaned up the kitchen after dinner. On the weekends he would handle the night feedings so I could have two nights of uninterrupted sleep. Having a partner who is committed to getting through this tough time and acknowledges that all off the responsibility can't fall on one parent is helpful,

Yes having several kids is definitely hard work I agree. But for us we knew we wanted them so we pushed through it. After a while they start playing together so that's good too!

Of course having a commited spouse is a huge bonus. We made a pact with my dh: nobody is leaving until the youngest kid is at least 7. I don't care if people find this unromantic, but I'm not raising babies alone. For now we are good but we may re-evaluate in about 4 years lol

yep, just had a #2 almost 5 months ago with a 3 yr old. hardest thing ever!! things are finally starting to get better. my dh was so slow on the uptake that he needed to do more. after not so subtly threatening him with "i can do bad all by myself!", he's stepped up and i feel a lot better.

at least once a day i wonder "do i really want to do this again". that's usually in the middle of a 2 year old meltdown. i know people like kids close together but if i were younger i might wait until my first was school age. when you're in your mid 30s its a now or never situation, not because you can't have kids at 38 but you just know if you'll be in perimenopause or just too tired. i'm praying for strength now and i'm not even expecting. i'm also praying for ONE healthy child. i have some double ovulating women in my family so twins are a serious concern.

Wow, my DH is a very hands on dad, and I still agree with so much of this. We both worked full time and were completing grad programs, but it still felt pretty easy when we had just 1 child. That all changed once our 2nd came along. I love her to pieces but she was a difficult baby (and toddler), it felt like I aged 10 years the first year with 2 kids. It felt like I was in survival mode. The youngest is 3 now and things are starting to feel easier having 2 kids - DH and I can go out more together, or relax while the kids play. We don't feel so stressed all the time which is nice. I honestly don't know how people do it with 4/5/6 children.

This is why I'm leaning towards being one and done. My husband is very hands on (he actually does more than I do half them time :look:) and I have a ton of hired and family help. I have it easier than most. I have a healthy, intelligent child that doesn't have major behavior issues or anything like that. I am blessed. That being said, I'm good with one kid. I would like to do other things with my time and resources, so I'm probably opting out unless my husband threatens to divorce me or something if we don't have another one. I keep thinking this may be the one downside of having kids in your 30's. I had a decent chunk of child free adulthood, so I know how nice life can be without responsibilities. :lachen:That being said, we are also very fertile and don't have any permanent birth control in place, so I might be eating my words. But that's my plan for now.

Not gonna lie, I feel much better. I was pregnant with my second recently and lost the pregnancy. I was concerned about how our family was going to adapt to the new change. I'm in the middle of a masters program and we have a 2 year old. Although I am sad and will miss my baby, I'm glad I was spared all the stress of parenting two kids while trying to juggle life. :lol:

Not gonna lie, I feel much better. I was pregnant with my second recently and lost the pregnancy. I was concerned about how our family was going to adapt to the new change. I'm in the middle of a masters program and we have a 2 year old. Although I am sad and will miss my baby, I'm glad I was spared all the stress of parenting two kids while trying to juggle life. :lol:
:bighug: I know!!!!!!! Stay focus and heal............Let us know when you finish your masters program. We will all throw a virtual party in your honor. So proud of you!

I've heard people say that having one is a walk in the park but any more than that s. gets real.

Get a puppy that's 8 weeks instead and if you can survive the first 6 months with ease, then talk about having a child. Puppies are the closest pet that requires enough time and sleep loss that tests your patience enough to see if you're all in.

One of my good friend has SIX kids and is a SAHM. She homeschools and had them one after the other. I used to want 5 until I babysat for her with DH when the oldest was 10 and the youngest under 2. And they are actually pretty well-behaved. The oldest 3 are now in college. I have no idea how she didn’t run away and not return when they were young. And now that most are teens...that’s a whole other set of stress.

The more I reevaluate life I see myself as more of the one and done kind.

I've heard people say that having one is a walk in the park but any more than that s. gets real.

Get a puppy that's 8 weeks instead and if you can survive the first 6 months with ease, then talk about having a child. Puppies are the closest pet that requires enough time and sleep loss that tests your patience enough to see if you're all in.

This is so true. Of course, most don't realize it until they have the second one. I remember after having twins I couldn't figure out why I was so sleep deprived when I had just one. She was the perfect baby. She was never fussy, ate well and slept well. I should have been getting a lot of sleep with her, but for some reason I wasn't.

Back