Why Happy People Cheat?

Fine 4s

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/why-happy-people-cheat/537882/

Most descriptions of troubled marriages don’t seem to fit my situation,” Priya insists. “Colin and I have a wonderful relationship. Great kids, no financial stresses, careers we love, great friends. He is a phenom at work, ****ing handsome, attentive lover, fit, and generous to everyone, including my parents. My life is good.” Yet Priya is having an affair. “Not someone I would ever date—ever, ever, ever. He drives a truck and has tattoos. It’s so clichéd, it pains me to say it out loud. It could ruin everything I’ve built.”

Priya is right. Few events in the life of a couple, except illness and death, carry such devastating force. For years, I have worked as a therapist with hundreds of couples who have been shattered by infidelity. And my conversations about affairs have not been confined within the cloistered walls of my therapy practice; they’ve happened on airplanes, at dinner parties, at conferences, at the nail salon, with colleagues, with the cable guy, and of course, on social media. From Pittsburgh to Buenos Aires, Delhi to Paris, I have been conducting an open-ended survey about infidelity.

Adultery has existed since marriage was invented, yet this extremely common act remains poorly understood. Around the globe, the responses I get when I mention infidelity range from bitter condemnation to resigned acceptance to cautious compassion to outright enthusiasm. In Paris, the topic brings an immediate frisson to a dinner conversation, and I note how many people have been on both sides of the story. In Bulgaria, a group of women I met seem to view their husbands’ philandering as unfortunate but inevitable. In Mexico, women I spoke with proudly see the rise of female affairs as a form of social rebellion against a chauvinistic culture that has long made room for men to have “two homes,” la casa grande y la casa chica—one for the family, and one for the mistress. Infidelity may be ubiquitous, but the way we make meaning of it—how we define it, experience it, and talk about it—is ultimately linked to the particular time and place where the drama unfolds.

In contemporary discourse in the United States, affairs are primarily described in terms of the damage caused. Generally, there is much concern for the agony suffered by the betrayed. And agony it is—infidelity today isn’t just a violation of trust; it’s a shattering of the grand ambition of romantic love. It is a shock that makes us question our past, our future, and even our very identity. Indeed, the maelstrom of emotions unleashed in the wake of an affair can be so overwhelming that many psychologists turn to the field of trauma to explain the symptoms: obsessive rumination, hypervigilance, numbness and dissociation, inexplicable rages, uncontrollable panic.

Intimate betrayal hurts. It hurts badly. If Priya’s husband, Colin, were to stumble upon a text, a photo, or an email that revealed his wife’s dalliance, he would be devastated. And thanks to modern technology, his pain would likely be magnified by an archive of electronic evidence of her duplicity. (I am using pseudonyms to protect the privacy of my clients and their families.)

The damage that infidelity causes the aggrieved partner is one side of the story. For centuries, when affairs were tacitly condoned for men, this pain was overlooked, since it was mostly experienced by women. Contemporary culture, to its credit, is more compassionate toward the jilted. But if we are to shed new light on one of our oldest behaviors, we need to examine it from all sides. In the focus on trauma and recovery, too little attention is given to the meanings and motives of affairs, to what we can learn from them. Strange as it may seem, affairs have a lot to teach us about marriage—what we expect, what we think we want, and what we feel entitled to. They reveal our personal and cultural attitudes about love, lust, and commitment—attitudes that have changed dramatically over the past 100 years.
Affairs are not what they used to be because marriage is not what it used to be. For much of history, and in many parts of the world today, marriage was a pragmatic alliance that ensured economic stability and social cohesion. A child of immigrants, Priya surely has relatives whose marital options were limited at best. For her and Colin, however, as for most modern Western couples, marriage is no longer an economic enterprise but rather a companionate one—a free-choice engagement between two individuals, based not on duty and obligation but on love and affection.

Never before have our expectations of marriage taken on such epic proportions. We still want everything the traditional family was meant to provide—security, respectability, property, and children—but now we also want our partner to love us, to desire us, to be interested in us. We should be best friends and trusted confidants, and passionate lovers to boot.

Contained within the small circle of the wedding band are vastly contradictory ideals. We want our chosen one to offer stability, safety, predictability, and dependability. And we want that very same person to supply awe, mystery, adventure, and risk. We expect comfort and edge, familiarity and novelty, continuity and surprise. We have conjured up a new Olympus, where love will remain unconditional, intimacy enthralling, and sex oh so exciting, with one person, for the long haul. And the long haul keeps getting longer.

We also live in an age of entitlement; personal fulfillment, we believe, is our due. In the West, sex is a right linked to our individuality, our self-actualization, and our freedom. Thus, most of us now arrive at the altar after years of sexual nomadism. By the time we tie the knot, we’ve hooked up, dated, cohabited, and broken up. We used to get married and have sex for the first time. Now we get married and stop having sex with others. The conscious choice we make to rein in our sexual freedom is a testament to the seriousness of our commitment. By turning our back on other loves, we confirm the uniqueness of our “significant other”: “I have found The One. I can stop looking.” Our desire for others is supposed to miraculously evaporate, vanquished by the power of this singular attraction.

Every affair will redefine a marriage, and every marriage will determine what the legacy of the affair will be. Although infidelity has become one of the prime motives for divorce in the West, I’ve seen many couples stay together after the revelation of an affair. I believe the odds are in favor of Priya and Colin’s marriage surviving, but the quality of their future connection will depend on how they metabolize her transgression. Will they emerge stronger as a result? Or will they bury the affair under a mountain of shame and mistrust? Can Priya step out of her self-absorption and face the pain she caused? Can Colin find solace in knowing that the affair was not meant to be a rejection of him? And will he get to meet the carefree, youthful woman Priya became in her parallel life?

These days, many of us are going to have two or three significant long-term relationships or marriages. Often when a couple comes to me in the wake of an affair, it is clear to me that their first marriage is over. So I ask them: Would you like to create a second one together?

Ya'll already know that my views on commitment, monogamy and especially marriage are works in progress.
This article touches on the harsh truths of why people do the things they do in relationships.
I'm obsessed with understanding this because of the many many people I know living double lives and I can't quite understand WHY people still commit. I don't want to live in a fantasy, I want to deal with the harsh truth so that I'm prepared and can chose if I want to buy in or not.

Ya'll already know that my views on commitment, monogamy and especially marriage are works in progress.
This article touches on the harsh truths of why people do the things they do in relationships.
I'm obsessed with understanding this because of the many many people I know living double lives and I can't quite understand WHY people still commit. I don't want to live in a fantasy, I want to deal with the harsh truth so that I'm prepared and can chose if I want to buy in or not.
Here's the thing though...haven't we heard the reasons a million times over? I think everyone wants to protect themselves from harm. It's natural. And guess what? You can't control everything but I do think we can make smart choices.

An example that comes to mind is my older brother. He pretty much looks similar to the Rock (except with hazel eyes and you know some people go crazy for that kind of stuff too, note I said some), is 6 foot, in shape, and has women throwing themselves at him. He turns them down politely at times and sometimes he's short with them by saying, "You do see my ring, right?" before kim. I've observed these wanna be mistresses when visiting him. They'll always find a way to find him down an aisle by himself (and I may be off to the side, etc)...even if they see a woman around him or his children. He has a masters in business (wants to get a phd and knowing him, he will), served in the armed forces (is retiring so he will have that income from retirement plus benefits in addition to a very lucrative job offer currently). He has four children and is married to the same woman (no divorces etc). Now I know my bro because I grew up with him. His friends used to say stuff like, "What's wrong with your bro? If I had his eyes maaaan I would run through women. Pretty mutha*****." And jokes like this.

Now I hate the whole pretty mutha ****a thing and the whole light eye bias thing, etc, but I'm just setting this up to show those around him pretty much throw themselves at him (even if it is for stupid stereotypical reasons), or if guys, are envious that women are throwing themselves at him and he won't do anything about it. I remember how he would say how he'd never cheat on his girlfriend (at the time when he was a teen), and was like that with each one of them, to which his friends would mock him, and apply even more pressure. Like they wanted to live vicariously through him, and encourage him to cheat. It wasn't in him. It just isn't. We are super close now. Closer as he went to war and came back. I think he had an epiphany of sorts and now we talk daily and try to go beyond the surface purposely (not all the time because that's just exhausting but you get the point). He mentioned how he wanted to have deeper connections and make sure everyone around him knew how much he cares. This guy is at every recital, every competition, every game the kids are in.

When he's not working, he's home or taking the kids to various activities so that his wife can "rest". He's a Capricorn and a homebody type so he's not the guy at clubs or anything, though he takes his wife out on date night and occasionally he goes out to see a game with friends (wife is invited and most time she comes so it isn't something that isn't wife friendly). And he's funny to boot. Did I mention how hysterically funny he is? Like he could be a comedian. It gets on my nerves because he can diffuse any situation with a joke (and did so as a kid. He got out of trouble with ease, whereas my sarcastic butt...not so much. Finally, everyone always talks about a person "covering them". My sis in law has nothing to worry about. He will come to her defense if needed, but also knows how to diffuse situations, and you know you can't say nothing about her or his fam because he isn't having it (that includes all relatives). He is someone you can count on and depend on. And he knows how to cook, and does so often in order to give his wife a break (who has the option of being a housewife. She did that forever and is now deciding to teach at college). People are always coming to him for advice because he's seen a thing or two, but still knows how to navigate the world, loves life, and seeks the best in people. And he just gives great advice. He's still an alpha. He can be stubborn at times, but hey that's a Capricorn thing and people are not perfect.

In closing. He's pretty darn awesome. AND he does not cheat. How can I be certain? I can be 99.99999% because I grew up with him and saw his reaction to temptation first hand. He pretty much has my mom's heart coupled with my dad's tenacity and strength of will. So when I hear people preparing for a cheating guy or cheating situation I think about my bro. I know guys like him exist. You have to really assess someone. See if their actions match their words. See if you like what those words are. See if you like their moral compass. And then of course you can never be completely sure because things happen. The world is full of surprise. But I won't prepare myself to live with cheating. That means you expect it and that will change who you attract in your life (and you will get what you expect most of the time...again there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part, you are creating it and telling people how to treat you even when you don't open your mouth. We are all animals. We can sense what others think and expect from themselves and others).

I know another guy who is a VP at a finance company (known him since undergrad) who is a fine arse Indian dude who looks like this:

I saw that guy and thought my friend looks like you but a little cuter lol. At any rate he was celibate till marriage and does not believe in cheating and makes well over half a million dollars a year (before bonuses), is 6 '1, loving, funny, intelligent. He just got married and stayed true to his vows. I'm pretty much betting he too will not cheat. He had the self control to wait till marriage despite pressure from friends, and women throwing themselves at him. He's going to do exactly as he says. I'm not saying waiting till marriage makes you holier than tho, but I am saying being celibate until your thirties, and staying true to it requires discipline. A person with that mindset, who has expressed to me that he isn't going to cheat (and has pretty much done everything else he set his mind to), he's not cheating. He was interested in dating me. I was not because his religion and mine do not jibe but we are still great friends. He also said he'd be married by X age, and that happened.

Someone will say they are unicorns. I say you attract in your life what you expect. And the people around either rise up to those expectations, leave because they know you won't settle for less, or I filter them out because I really can see through b.s. I think it's a gift from working with such a successful matchmaker (earlier), and also from growing up with my brother and his friends around (so I could see how men really think, and things like how his friends would treat me vs other women. I've come to realize it's based on what they sensed you believe you deserve. A good guy will automatically of course treat you well, whereas a player would know that they couldn't come to me with b.s because I'd see through it and let them know it too :giggle: )

I know this is long but these are my thoughts. The reason I mentioned looks is because women think that men like these don't exist or there's something wrong with them. This mindset will attract the weird guys to confirm that view imo. And of course, will attract cheaters as well. So when I see articles like these, I think they're here to make people feel better about what they already believe. I think we all look for things to support our view point. What about an article from successful, attractive guys who don't cheat on why they don't cheat? I'd love to hear that. What about articles about signs to look for in order to identify a faithful man (99% of the time as you can't be 100% certain about anything in life good or bad).

So I guess while I see the article, my brain was already ready to change to another thread when I decided to type this. Because I'm seeking out what I want, not trying to brace myself for disaster.

Last edited:
Yeah he sounds awesome and while I didn't finish reading the whole thing just yet, I just HAD to take a breather after looking at that pic! Good lawd!

I didn't mean prepare to leave with cheating though....just be more realistic.
The person who shared this article with me is a major cheater before and during his marriage and claims that most married couples he knows have dealt with infidelity or are very tempted. He lives in a major city with tons of good looking people with great careers and all of the women know his married and are ok with the relationship. He would say that you're brother is not the norm.
I'm very interested in the human, science or whatever you call it behind cheating. I forget the name of that romantic movie where the woman was cheated on and become obsessed with the idea of cheating and did all kinds of scientific research about it...ended up falling in love with her best friend :)

I'm very interested in the human, science or whatever you call it behind cheating. I forget the name of that romantic movie where the woman was cheated on and become obsessed with the idea of cheating and did all kinds of scientific research about it...ended up falling in love with her best friend :)
Sounds like me. This is what I did after my marriage- researched so much I have an unofficial PhD in the science of infidelity...

Cheating really is a choice and there is a course of action that leads to cheating. I know people aren't perfect but most put themselves in situations to cheat. If you are talking to someone often that you have met, it won't be long before a date is arranged. If you get past the dating and continue talking, you get to a point where intimacy comes into play. Most people just don't end up having sex with others outside the relationship. There are steps they engage in that leads up to a sexual act with someone else outside of your own relationship.

It is during those steps of talking and getting to know someone and meeting up for dates an escape is present. It is up to the person to cut out before they get through all the steps. There are people that just are cheaters and it's in them. I think that has more to do with personal internal issues than anything.Then there are others who that is jut not what they desire or their character.

I know for a fact my two brothers have never cheated on their wives. My one brother would be over seas in the military and the guys would hook up with the women in whatever country they were in. He would be in his room alone, reading or watching television while the other husbands entertained women. It is all about choices that one chooses to make...period.

Are these guys the majority or the unicorns?
Is there some truth in human beings not being meant to be monogamous? Are we pressured into it because of religious reasons?
@movingforward13 what did you find in your research? And what do you make of the article also saying that cheating doesn't have to mean the end of the relationship?

Are these guys the majority or the unicorns?
Is there some truth in human beings not being meant to be monogamous? Are we pressured into it because of religious reasons?
@movingforward13 what did you find in your research? And what do you make of the article also saying that cheating doesn't have to mean the end of the relationship?
Girl I could write 5 books or more- but I will give points. Caveat- I am sure people are going to disagree with me, but as I stated this is what I found with 3 years of researching trying to understand this topic.

What I have found:
Relationships are (unfortunately) chemical to begin with. Real love is suppose to take over once the infatuation period ends but that doesn't always happen. I SWEAR by this site because this is generally how our cycles go. This happens to EVERYONE in a relationship.

Cheating comes from:
Poor boundaries
Selfishness
Narcissism (or some other mental issue);

Nothing can stop cheating except the person faced with the decision to cheat;

Think of cheating like roaches- to kill an affair you have to expose it to the light (I know most people hate that advice but it is true because people get ashamed and their reputation is tarnished. This has worked for white women, especially when divorcing.);

If the cheater isn't accountable for their actions and have true remorse, the cheating will occur again;

Just about all people who re offend are more covert to avoid getting caught again;

Affairs have the same chemical reactions a new relationship does which is why the cheater will protect their affair partner over their spouse;

It takes 2-5 years to heal from infidelity- ever new revelation could restart the clock (depending on what it is);

10% of affair partners marry one another and make it... but I have also seen that the affair partners don't trust one another because they already know what both of them are capable of;

a relationship has the most success of surviving if the cheater throws their affair partner under the bus on D-Day (discovery day);

No marriage counseling until the cheater has remorse, otherwise you are just delaying the inevitable

Transparency is a MUST once an affair occurs- there is no such thing as privacy- privacy is you taking a sh!% with no one watching. When an affair happens, transparency is a must in the healing process.

www.survivinginfidelity.com is my website and where I learned a lot of these. I have researched actual doctors specializing in this field as well and read their books. I will come back and post some links.

Again- I know some won't agree but this is what I have researched for 3 years while I was surviving from my divorce due to infidelity. Classic wayward tendencies was spot on. I predicted all of my ex's moves based on everything I learned and was able to stay a step ahead of him. I will write a book on this when I get older- I already have the title.

Girl I could write 5 books or more- but I will give points. Caveat- I am sure people are going to disagree with me, but as I stated this is what I found with 3 years of researching trying to understand this topic.

What I have found:
Relationships are (unfortunately) chemical to begin with. Real love is suppose to take over once the infatuation period ends but that doesn't always happen. I SWEAR by this site because this is generally how our cycles go. This happens to EVERYONE in a relationship.

Cheating comes from:
Poor boundaries
Selfishness
Narcissism (or some other mental issue);

Nothing can stop cheating except the person faced with the decision to cheat;

Think of cheating like roaches- to kill an affair you have to expose it to the light (I know most people hate that advice but it is true because people get ashamed and their reputation is tarnished. This has worked for white women, especially when divorcing.);

If the cheater isn't accountable for their actions and have true remorse, the cheating will occur again;

Just about all people who re offend are more covert to avoid getting caught again;

Affairs have the same chemical reactions a new relationship does which is why the cheater will protect their affair partner over their spouse;

It takes 2-5 years to heal from infidelity- ever new revelation could restart the clock (depending on what it is);

10% of affair partners marry one another and make it... but I have also seen that the affair partners don't trust one another because they already know what both of them are capable of;

a relationship has the most success of surviving if the cheater throws their affair partner under the bus on D-Day (discovery day);

No marriage counseling until the cheater has remorse, otherwise you are just delaying the inevitable

Transparency is a MUST once an affair occurs- there is no such thing as privacy- privacy is you taking a sh!% with no one watching. When an affair happens, transparency is a must in the healing process.

www.survivinginfidelity.com is my website and where I learned a lot of these. I have researched actual doctors specializing in this field as well and read their books. I will come back and post some links.

Again- I know some won't agree but this is what I have researched for 3 years while I was surviving from my divorce due to infidelity. Classic wayward tendencies was spot on. I predicted all of my ex's moves based on everything I learned and was able to stay a step ahead of him. I will write a book on this when I get older- I already have the title.
'

This is so interesting.

@The bolded- by "throw the affair partner under the bus" do you mean the cheater immediately tells the person who they're in the relationship with who their affair partner was?

In your research, is there any mention about the cheated-on partner being vengeful and deciding to cheat back?

'

This is so interesting.

@The bolded- by "throw the affair partner under the bus" do you mean the cheater immediately tells the person who they're in the relationship with who their affair partner was?

In your research, is there any mention about the cheated-on partner being vengeful and deciding to cheat back?
Throw under the bus meaning the when D-Day occurs, the cheater tells the spouse and/or the affair partner that it didn’t mean anything, it was a game, etc. The affair partner usually gets a slap in the face that the affair wasn’t real and they weren’t going to run off together.

Yes to the second question. They are called Madhatters. And that situation is more confusing- when someone cheats, they very often are NOT thinking about their spouse. Cheating isn’t a personal thing against the relationship- often times the cheater just has poor boundaries, a syndrome (the Prince syndrome), a mental illness (narcissism), or something of the sort. While it is impossible to believe, when someone cheats, they just simply ARENT thinking about their spouse. They are thinking of themselves and how their affair partner makes them feel.

Revenge affairs are strictly to get back at the cheating spouse. The is direct intent.
Think of this like the killing of the relationship.
Cheating is manslaughter while revenge affairs are murder. In both stances the relationship is killed however the first was an action of neglect (of responsibility) while the second was intentional. Not saying one is better than the other because there is the same outcome, however our society penalizes murder harsher than manslaughter. (I personally feel that the relationship was killed after the initial cheating but my opinion).

What I have found is with Madhatters, they are only stay together for the convenience for the most part. Cheating men don’t realize the pain they put their wife through when the roles are switched- as that point they see her as tainted goods and justification as to why he should continue to cheat. Vice versa if the woman was cheating. But if they have kids or money issues or just don’t know how to let go (most people want to let go of relationships with little pain and that is usually impossible), they stay together knowing that their relationship is broken from all the cheating.

Then we have the issue that most people don’t like to talk about but being cheated on can drive someone to KILL someone else. Watch Snapped to see this first hand. And it is pretty indiscriminate but generally it seems the cheater and affair partner try to kill the spouse off so they can be together (and maybe get some insurance money). But spouses have killed affair partners and cheaters have killed affair partners too. There have even been a few cases where spouses have killed their cheaters.

Relationships, the human mind, the relationship chemicals (dopamine, etc.) are a big problem when it comes to infidelity. A lot of the times chemicals are altering our mind and how we act and react. The absence of the chemicals puts us in physical and physical pain. People can die from a broken heart. When a spouse is cheat on, it is similar to a death occurring.

I think a major way to combat this is to instill in yourself that you are valuable, with or without this person, you can live on, self worth, self love, and keeping a sense of self in the relationship (never losing yourself when you are with someone). There is nothing you can do to prevent cheating but if it happens, every action afterward is crucial to how you get out of the situation.

And I wasn’t joking when I said I could write a book- this topic is very interesting to me.

Here are some links

https://www.affairrecovery.com/types-of-affairs

http://therapistportlandoregon.com/my-expertise/affairs-infidelity/

http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/archives.asp?tid=514197

http://www.menstuff.org/issues/byissue/infidelitystats.html

https://www.truthaboutdeception.com/cheating-and-infidelity/infidelity-quiz/for-women.html

I have tons more but I think anyone interested in the topic should check these out.

Also Dr. Shirley Glass is an author of infidelity books helping partners recover. She wrote “Not Just Friends” which is an amazing book - Amazon product ASIN 0743225503It explains appropriate boundaries within relationships (plus other items).

And lastly- affairs need three people to survive-

The betrayed, the cheater, the affair partner. If one of these people aren’t present, the affair cannot exist. Generally speaking, chances are very high that men leave their affair partners when their wife files for divorce - however more women do not file for divorce when infidelity is revealed for a number of reasons. The first 48 hours of a D-Day is crucial and whatever happens in that 48 hours sets the tone. It is hard to recover ground (respect) after that point. This is why men who are cheated on get rid of their women immediately. There is a HUGE respect component- whoever has the respect has the control.

The general advice is if you find out your spouse if cheating, you kick the person out the home and file for divorce within 48 hours. This snaps them back to reality and provides consequences. Divorces can be stopped at any time - kicking out and filing is just to splash cold water on them. For a number of reasons women don’t, won’t, can’t do this, which favors the man- he cheats again with no consequences and next time he tries to cheat better so he won’t get caught. In the process, the relationship is broken because of the cheating fracture and the fracture gets bigger when the trust isn’t earned back.

This is why Lemonade spoken me.
Beyoncé had a lot of infidelity references, even down to the broken bowl melted with gold. I knew he cheated on her just based off the imagery in the video. I am not a Beyoncé fan but Lemonade was AMAZING!

They went through it- and JayZ FINALLY took responsibility and showed REMORSE in his album 4:44. They exposed his affairs, aired their dirty laundry and began the healing process creatively. More important, HE gets it now- their relationship counselors are worth every penny keeping that union together.

Throw under the bus meaning the when D-Day occurs, the cheater tells the spouse and/or the affair partner that it didn’t mean anything, it was a game, etc. The affair partner usually gets a slap in the face that the affair wasn’t real and they weren’t going to run off together.

Yes to the second question. They are called Madhatters. And that situation is more confusing- when someone cheats, they very often are NOT thinking about their spouse. Cheating isn’t a personal thing against the relationship- often times the cheater just has poor boundaries, a syndrome (the Prince syndrome), a mental illness (narcissism), or something of the sort. While it is impossible to believe, when someone cheats, they just simply ARENT thinking about their spouse. They are thinking of themselves and how their affair partner makes them feel.

Revenge affairs are strictly to get back at the cheating spouse. The is direct intent.
Think of this like the killing of the relationship.
Cheating is manslaughter while revenge affairs are murder. In both stances the relationship is killed however the first was an action of neglect (of responsibility) while the second was intentional. Not saying one is better than the other because there is the same outcome, however our society penalizes murder harsher than manslaughter. (I personally feel that the relationship was killed after the initial cheating but my opinion).

What I have found is with Madhatters, they are only stay together for the convenience for the most part. Cheating men don’t realize the pain they put their wife through when the roles are switched- as that point they see her as tainted goods and justification as to why he should continue to cheat. Vice versa if the woman was cheating. But if they have kids or money issues or just don’t know how to let go (most people want to let go of relationships with little pain and that is usually impossible), they stay together knowing that their relationship is broken from all the cheating.

Then we have the issue that most people don’t like to talk about but being cheated on can drive someone to KILL someone else. Watch Snapped to see this first hand. And it is pretty indiscriminate but generally it seems the cheater and affair partner try to kill the spouse off so they can be together (and maybe get some insurance money). But spouses have killed affair partners and cheaters have killed affair partners too. There have even been a few cases where spouses have killed their cheaters.

Relationships, the human mind, the relationship chemicals (dopamine, etc.) are a big problem when it comes to infidelity. A lot of the times chemicals are altering our mind and how we act and react. The absence of the chemicals puts us in physical and physical pain. People can die from a broken heart. When a spouse is cheat on, it is similar to a death occurring.

I think a major way to combat this is to instill in yourself that you are valuable, with or without this person, you can live on, self worth, self love, and keeping a sense of self in the relationship (never losing yourself when you are with someone). There is nothing you can do to prevent cheating but if it happens, every action afterward is crucial to how you get out of the situation.

@ The bolded I have seen this tendency of penalizing the revenge cheater or Madhatter (especially by men if the revenge cheater is a woman) more harshly than the partner who cheated initially. There's always the standpoint of "If you're so hurt that your partner cheated on you and you can't trust them anymore, you should just leave not get revenge" which I know is logical.

But (and this is just from my current personal experience), this person has caused me so much pain. So, isn't it only right that they share some of the pain they've caused before I remove myself from the relationship completely? I can show you MUCH better than I can tell you how much you hurt me and ****ed the relationship up. Is there research that shows the choice to revenge cheat sets back the healing process?

Also Dr. Shirley Glass is an author of infidelity books helping partners recover. She wrote “Not Just Friends” which is an amazing book - Amazon product ASIN 0743225503It explains appropriate boundaries within relationships (plus other items).

I actually have this book by Dr. Shirley Glass...I bought it a few years ago when an ex cheated on me. I didn't read all the way through it. Maybe I should pick it up again.

I'm glad you're thinking about this clearly and not reacting. Good for you.
I can't tell you if plan B would be the right/wrong thing to do but 1) don't make it an excuse to be with someone you had an eye on. You wouldn't be any better than him being a phony. 2) You may feel guilty (you can't really predict how you're going to feel so be open to that possibility) 3) Opening up yourself to another person physically, can hurt you in other ways (mentally, physically etc. etc.). Is that a risk worth taking? 4) Several women would say taking the high road would be more torture to him. Lastly if you plan to stay in this relationship, all plan B would do is delay the inevitable, it does not address the real issue of why it happened if you're interested in even knowing (some would just be out). What if you're with someone who's incapable of being monogamous MAYBE this situation is a blessing. All you're doing is putting a band-aid and maybe making it worse. While I'm not above petty, it might take a lot of emotionally energy to juggle this play. Think about all the possible outcomes when you're not emotional about it and then make a decision.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this, but I don’t want to get stoned for my comments. Anyway, DH is super amazing & sweet, but for some reason I don’t see myself sticking to one crayon until I die. Sounds harsh.

Are you saying that somewhere along your marriage journey you would cheat with another? Is it that you don't see yourself with him and will eventually divorce and find someone else?

Are you saying that somewhere along your marriage journey you would cheat with another? Is it that you don't see yourself with him and will eventually divorce and find someone else?

Idk. Like, the older I get the less I see myself staying with one person forever. I love DH & don’t want to live without him tho. It’s hard to explain. And it’s even weirder because we’re newly weds lol

Happy people don't cheat.
Yeah the title is an oxymoron. I read the whole article and Priya sounded depressed af. I must’ve missed the happy part. :lol: And OP, I believe most men are faithful. Most PEOPLE are faithful. I’ve got 6 brothers including 2 who are married. None of them are/were cheaters. Some of them are athletes, military and/or male models. Super good looking. They have women throwing themselves at them and yet they choose to remain faithful. My dad’s the same way too. I can relate with what @luckiestdestiny had to say because I’ve witnessed it firsthand as well when I’m out and about with them. You attract what you expect. If you expect to get cheated on you most likely will. Law of attraction.

So people cheat because of lack of excitement in their lives? They wanna feel alive and the thrill of getting caught and breaking the rules is intoxicating. I found it interesting that Priya was the quintessential good girl who never really got to live her own life. No wonder she’s rebelling now. Her story could’ve easily been mine had I married my first love in my early twenties. I think rebellion is an essential rite of passage so to speak. You gotta find yourself and be free to be yourself in order to stop acting out in other ways subconsciously.

Back