Why dont people get jehri curls anymore?

When I went to get my hair done a few weeks ago I was having a conversation with my stylist and said (rather loudly) "Giiiirl I wish I would see someone getting a jheri curl in TWENTY TEN". She giggled and said "Girl Diane's client is about to get one right now". The lady that JUSt walked in was about to get Jheri redone. I was so embarrassed.

FOR HER NOT ME!!!!!! lol

I had jheri curls, wave nouveau, and hawaiian silk. I think I've paid my dues. Maybe I should mention that I wore my hair like that from '90-92 it wasn't even the 80's I can't even came up with a reasonable explanation SMH. I hated having to sleep with the shower cap on every night, the smell, my shirt collar always being soiled, and it was a very time consuming process. On a positive note I had SL curls which at the time I thought was extremely long. The reversal process was difficult I had to start over at square one.

B/c they were a greasy nasty mess.... My brothers had them... Juice use to get everywhere even on the car head rest ..Ugh.... Till this day I hate the smell of curl juice..

That by far was the grosses style black people wore

B/c they were a greasy nasty mess.... My brothers had them... Juice use to get everywhere even on the car head rest ..Ugh.... Till this day I hate the smell of curl juice..

That by far was the grosses style black people wore

:grin: :grin:

Yep how true and embarrassing. You never want anybody to touch your hair and on public transit you knew if a black person was sitting there before you, with the residue of grease on the window panes.

My curls were tight and I didn't think they were cute at all. I had them in HS and beginning of University. I guess now, maybe it is not sticky and does not leaves a mess? Has it change?

My grandmother had one until the the day she died in 2003 at 62 yrs old. I assure you that she would have had one now if she was still alive. For her, the jheri was AWESOME. Hers was never dry but it was never greasy either. I don't know how she found the balance. People used to LOVE her hair and didn't find out it was a jheri until after she died.

I think many people don't get one now because 1) it's not in style anymore and 2) they would be teased RELENTLESSLY :)

That's why I can't even be a "juicer" with curly hair and I don't get it. I was one of the girls with natural curls when the curl came out. I NEVER wore it out and if I did I did roller sets. I didn't want to be accused of having a "jheri curl".

I actually gave into my PJism this weekend. I KNOW MY HAIR HATES JUICE but I broke down and tried it again. Why is my hair greasy and fuzzy all at the same time? I truly hate this stuff.

This thread is hurting me! Years of childhood trauma coming back!

Just kidding. They were nasty though. I think part of my issue was my hair wasn't getting properly cared for, with or without the jheri curl.

I haven't worn a Jheri curl since the 80's but there's a teenage girl that rides my bus that has one and her hair is kind of cute. On her anyway. It's not greasy looking either so maybe she's found the right balance. I think the hair products we have now are better than what we had way back in the day whatever the style you want.

As far as wearing it straight, you can use big rollers to get a wavy/straighter look.

People do still get jheri curls. The jheri curl in 2010 looks very different than the greasy jheri curls from the 80's.

My mother has one and her hair looks like big spiral curls and it's not greasy at all. It's touchable. She says the stylist sets the curly perm with flexi-rods and her curls are big and bouncy. Sometimes, she tells people it's her natural hair and they believe her. :lachen:

There is also a poster on this board who has a jheri curl. I can't think of her screen name but she has a photo of her curly perm in her avi and it looks like a flexi-rod set.

I was foreced to get a Jheri curl in 6th grade on spring break. Every one comes to school with a new do after easter, but a curl? At this point it was the late nineties.... so it was already played. The problem with the the Jheri Curl is the double processing. They perm it, then put the curly perm on it. That's the reason you had to keep it baggied so often. We know now that there are so many chemical processes that are less time consuming and less stylists dependent like texturizers, texlaxing, softening, silkeners etc that don't doble process the strand.

At the risk of getting :gunner7: I dont know why lots of LHCFers dont get one considering the Juice Challenge thats going on.

Now you know you wrong for that! As a proud juicer, we don't want to change our current texture(wheteher is be natural or relaxed) or be drippy. We just want some extra moisture and retention in our lives...... what's so wrong with that?

Wow, I was just having this convo with my mother and sister. My mom said she always thought it was the ugliest style...

At the risk of getting :gunner7: I dont know why lots of LHCFers dont get one considering the Juice Challenge thats going on.

LMAO I don't have a jherri curl, but I do like the moisturizing effects of the S-Curl. It has glycerin and keeps my hair soft. Other than that I would never put a jherri curl in my herr.

You know you want to join our challenge and you aren't allowed in our club. Stop frontin LOLOLOL :lachen:

LMAO I don't have a jherri curl, but I do like the moisturizing effects of the S-Curl. It has glycerin and keeps my hair soft. Other than that I would never put a jherri curl in my herr.

You know you want to join our challenge and you aren't allowed in our club. Stop frontin LOLOLOL :lachen:
:nono: Nah. Ya'll can have that. LOL!!!

Ugh. The smell. Waking up every morning with the wet hair, plastic cap and the funky smell uggggh groosss... I hated it. I keep looking at the Juice Challenge thread but I'm too traumatized. I can't even bring myself to touch that bottle of CFCG in the store. I just keep walking past it and starting at it like "Maybe one day"...

I'm a proud curl wearer. A pic of mine is my avatar. There are some more in my profile. Unless I tell no one has a clue that I have a curl. A curl no longer has to be a wet mess. I don't get mine set on the traditional perm rods. My stylist sets mine on flexi rods. That, IMO, is what gives it a more natural appearance. Thats just my 2 cents.

/\ You're always the poster I link as having he best modern version of a curl on this site...its gorgeous it looks like a straw set!

Hows your retention been? when you do a wash and go is that how it looks? Whats your general reggie its sooooo pretty:yep:

/\ You're always the poster I link as having he best modern version of a curl on this site...its gorgeous it looks like a straw set!

Hows your retention been? when you do a wash and go is that how it looks? Whats your general reggie its sooooo pretty:yep:

Thanks for the compliment. Retention has been fine as long as I don't get lazy. When I do a wash n go my hair looks more like this attachment. It's way longer than my avi now so it's fuller & looks more like natural hair. Profile Pic.jpg

As for a reggie, I wash once a week & sometimes I DC & sometimes I just do what's considered an express conditioner. I do a light protein once a month & I just added Alter Ego Garlic Cond to my routine - once every other week due to some shedding. I'm trying hard to get to MBL by October so lately I've been doing Southern Tease buns with my Flexi8 & moisturizing daily. Either I sleep with a baggy or a satin cap.

Last edited:
I'm a proud curl wearer. A pic of mine is my avatar. There are some more in my profile. Unless I tell no one has a clue that I have a curl. A curl no longer has to be a wet mess. I don't get mine set on the traditional perm rods. My stylist sets mine on flexi rods. That, IMO, is what gives it a more natural appearance. Thats just my 2 cents.

I am speechless, and I mean that in a good way.:yep:

If you had never said anything I would not have known.

Thanks for the compliment. Retention has been fine as long as I don't get lazy. When I do a wash n go my hair looks more like this attachment. It's way longer than my avi now so it's fuller & looks more like natural hair. View attachment 65864

As for a reggie, I wash once a week & sometimes I DC & sometimes I just do what's considered an express conditioner. I do a light protein once a month & I just added Alter Ego Garlic Cond to my routine - once every other week due to some shedding. I'm trying hard to get to MBL by October so lately I've been doing Southern Tease buns with my Flexi8 & moisturizing daily. Either I sleep with a baggy or a satin cap.
It looks really pretty:yep:

Your hair looks fabulous! Great texture! Love me some flexi rods.

Yes its much different now...My mind just always flashes back to the 80's... My Mother n law actually has one and her hair looks like yours...It just looks like her natural hair... Not like the 80's at all..lol

Back