Would you Get a Jehri Curl?

Would you get a Jehri Curl?

• Yes! Pass me the Soul Glo!

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • No! This ain't 1988.

Votes: 96 84.2%
  • Maybe...I miss my old one/wonder what its like.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Leave my Jehri Curl alone. (I already have one)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. Mainly because my mom would never ler me get one. She, my aunt and uncle had them and they all had BSL/MBL hair. I thought the curls were so pretty.:lol:

Nuh-uh. The Jheri Curl lives amongst the other fads that I never want to see for as long as I live - platform shoes, bell bottom pants, overalls, shoulder pads, leather pants, multi-colored Cliff Huxtable sweaters, Chuck Taylor sneakers, brass knuckle-type rings, gold teeth, big, hair-sprayed hair, shearling/sheepskin coats and rubber shoes - just to name a few.

At least you had one when it was FASHIONABLE. My mom slapped that junk on my hair back in '92 and I had one until I BEGGED to get a relaxer in '97.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm sorry for laughing "92?" Bless your heart.
The Jerry curl died when I was in Kindergarten. I can't believe your mom did that. :nono:

Never again...

I remember all that lovely swang action, but I also remember jherri curl juice sliding down the back of my neck all the time. :nono:

I remember having to sleep in that stupid plastic bag every night! :nono:

I remember being embarrassed because of having left greasy stains on somebody's couch! :nono:

I remember not being able (or willing) to touch my hair because of all the JUICE that was in it all the time. :nono:

It's just not worth it!

Nope. Never. Again. I had one in the early 80's (I think). I was around 10 years old so I'm having a hard time remembering the exact time. All I remember is it being wet all the time and drippy. :nono:

But....come to think of it, my hair grew pretty well and didn't break. Guess all that moisture was good for something. :drunk:

hale nawww...
plus my hair is already curly...its funny though b/c when i first BC'd sooo many ppl accused me of having a texturizer/curly perm/jheri curl...

in my humble opinion jheri curls are only semi-acceptable for select pimps and senior citizens:look:

...my aunt actually wore a drippy coming to america jheri curl (ewww) up until 2008!!!:perplexed...now she just keeps it in a low natural twa.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm sorry for laughing "92?" Bless your heart.
The Jerry curl died when I was in Kindergarten. I can't believe your mom did that. :nono:

I can't believe it either. I was in first grade. My school picture that year can best be described as a behive styled afro. My curl was relatively dry. Not quite the drippy curl, but it was still bad. And some times I did get too much activator.

I think that I had a care-free curl and a Hawaiian silk curl. and i used Wave Nouveau products.

It was so bad. Looking back, my hair itself didn't look all that bad...but it wasn't good either. My hair stank sometimes and I had a lot of build-up. My mom pretty much NEVER washed my hair between curls. She would wash it sometimes but not at all as often as she should have.

We only had a bathtub, so it wasn't like I could wash it in the shower, either. And I was so young, I didn't know that I could wash my own hair. it was bad news all around.

At least you had one when it was FASHIONABLE. My mom slapped that junk on my hair back in '92 and I had one until I BEGGED to get a relaxer in '97.

This is funny! This happened to my cousin-her father was a beautician and gave her a jerri curl early 90s which she was picked at unmercifully for. I never had a jerri curl and would not want one either :nono:

I got jheri curl back in the day. and I loved it. Couldn't stand the activator, so i just used hair creams. when i wore it out, it look similar a curly fro. Most times, I wore it pulled in an updo and had these wonderful wave. Turned by 4z into a 3c

There is a girl here; I believe her name is iri910 and I love her hair. Her natural hair is how my curl perm looked. I do think about trying a curl again just so I can achieve that look.

I am just dying at some of the replies. When I had my curly perm which was more a wave really, I used to get compliments all the time. People never even knew it was a curl. It was never drippy or greasy. Just looked like fluffy, bouncy wavy hair. It only got weighed down with product buildup if I used too much product. it's the same for relaxed or natural hair. Too much product will result in buildup.
I grew my hair out to MBL with my perm. I've since texlaxed because I wanted a change and I wanted to start doing my hair myself and curly perming my own hair was just not cutting it. I'll be texlaxing until hip length but best believe I will be using all my curl products to do that.

Last edited:
I got jheri curl back in the day. and I loved it. Couldn't stand the activator, so i just used hair creams. when i wore it out, it look similar a curly fro. Most times, I wore it pulled in an updo and had these wonderful wave. Turned by 4z into a 3c

There is a girl here; I believe her name is iri910 and I love her hair. Her natural hair is how my curl perm looked. I do think about trying a curl again just so I can achieve that look.

aww thanks :)

I've never had one and I would not get one because of the chemicals. I just couldn't deal with the new growth and having to transition or BC all over again to get rid of it.

In the 80's my mom had one and I begged her to let me get a curl too but she refused. I'm glad she did.

Nope, that stuff smells and looks like pubic hair.

:huh: Interesting how different people interpret things. :lol: That's the last thing that'd comes to mind when I see a jheri curl. :lachen: A wet Poodle, yes; a mammal or bird rescued from an oil spill, I can see. But pubic hair? Doesn't that just look like any hair pattern only coarser? I can't stop laughing coz I see no relation whatsoever. :lachen:

If anything, I'd say a fade or TWA looks more like pubic hair than a jheri curl does. I mean, what sort of challenge would someone have to be in to have the look below going on in the nether regions? :rofl:

soul-glo.gif

Never had a desire to have one, still no desire today. However I do use Carefree Gold on my hair and LOOOOVE it.

My bestie use to have one back in the day and I'd hate when she slept over. Meseds up every pillow in my room. LOL

:huh: Interesting how different people interpret things. :lol: That's the last thing that'd comes to mind when I see a jheri curl. :lachen: A wet Poodle, yes; a mammal or bird rescued from an oil spill, I can see. But pubic hair? Doesn't that just look like any hair pattern only coarser? I can't stop laughing coz I see no relation whatsoever. :lachen:

If anything, I'd say a fade or TWA looks more like pubic hair than a jheri curl does. I mean, what sort of challenge would someone have to be in to have the look below going on in the nether regions? :rofl:

soul-glo.gif

Nonie, ITA with all your posts here. I did have a JC back in the day and I guarantee that it DID NOT look like pubic hair. It was not a drippy mess. It did not smell nor was is over processed. My ish was tight and I don't care what ya'll say.:lachen: But alas today I would not get another because I don't want to be dependent on chemicals for my hair. But when I did have a JC, it grew my hair marvelously. I had no product build up on my scalp and my curls always stayed fresh. I'll see if I can dig up an old pic when I get home.:yep:

Nonie, ITA with all your posts here. I did have a JC back in the day and I guarantee that it DID NOT look like pubic hair. It was not a drippy mess. It did not smell nor was is over processed. My ish was tight and I don't care what ya'll say.:lachen: But alas today I would not get another because I don't want to be dependent on chemicals for my hair. But when I did have a JC, it grew my hair marvelously. I had no product build up on my scalp and my curls always stayed fresh. I'll see if I can dig up an old pic when I get home.:yep:

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't have a juice dripping do. :lol: My favorite line of your post is My ish was tight and I don't care what y'all say. LOL You tell 'em StephElise!

soul-glo.gif

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::dead:

I had a Carefree Curl and used Wave Nouveau products on it. My hair grew so long and was so thick, but I remember not being able to wear it down because the glycerin product would make me break out, and I couldn't wash it very much. Every time I'd wash my hair, it's would turn into a brittle, stiff bird's nest. I'd have to pour product on it and sit with a shower cap for ages to make the curls come back, so basically washing was too much of a bother (and going swimming was out of the question). So my hair was nice and long, but it was unwashed and gummy. I wouldn't choose to have a curl again.

I've had them, Yes them! :ohwell: But I would'nt get one now, of course, but the results of having your hair moist all the time is amazing, My hair grew to unbelievable lengths whenever I had one! Which is funny cause, I was just speaking with someone about how moisture is a miracle for retention, and it just "Clicked" in my brain, Moisture + Moisture= Retention & Length! Which equals what I'm trying to do in this day and age!
Duhhh! I know, but I really just realized why whenever I had a Scarey Curl, my hair grew to amazing lengths! Hence how beautiful and amazing our fellow cousin, NJoy's hair is! If you haven't heard, Moisture is what really helped her retain her amazing growth! :yep:

Oh no... Not after being teased for having one back in 3rd grade . I'll never go back never !
Having to wear that bag on my head at night, greasy hair no no no !

Oh no... Not after being teased for having one back in 3rd grade . I'll never go back never !
Having to wear that bag on my head at night, greasy hair no no no !

OMG! I forgot about that stupid bag! :lachen: Hated it!!!!

Erhmm...careful nah! That stupid bag happens to be the one thing (besides S Curl) that I have carried with me since I discovered it back then. And actually it is not so stupid after all. Ask all the ladies who baggy and they'll tell you just awesome that part of the regimen is for moisture retention. I believe it is also why I rarely break out even when I use product in my hair.

I hadn't used any moisturizing leave-in product in my hair from when I got my BC to 3 inches in Feb 2007 up until August 2010 and if it were not for baggying, I doubt I'd have retained any growth at all over the last 3 years. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it since. That bag and the juice might be the best thing that came from jheri curl era. :yep:

Last edited:
Erhmm...careful nah! That stupid bag happens to be the one thing (besides S Curl) that I have carried with me since I discovered it back then. And actually it is not so stupid after all. Ask all the ladies who baggy and they'll tell you just awesome that part of the regimen is for moisture retention. I believe it is also why I rarely break out even when I use product in my hair.

I hadn't used any moisturizing leave-in product in my hair from when I got my BC to 3 inches in Feb 2007 up until August 2010 and if it were not for baggying, I doubt I'd have retained any growth at all over the last 3 years. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it since. That bag and the juice might be the best thing that came from jheri curl era. :yep:

ITA w/ everything you have said! I loved my JC because my hair was very low maintenance back then. And I love those baggies b/c it has brought my retention rate to a whole new level. I baggy my ponytail every night and I have one student who is just in awe of how much body, movement, and shine my ponytail has. It ain't much of ponytail by LHCF standards, but my student is impressed. I owe it all to baggying! :grin:

Back