"Why do so many blacks prefer straight hair?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not just blacks that prefer straight hair, its whites, asians, hispanics, etc. I think its a universal thing. Even Caucasians with naturally curly hair alter their hair by blow drying and flat ironing for a sleeker straighter look

I think people continue to prefer it right now is because it's what's presented to us as glamorous and beautiful. If you want to go into the history of it, it's been explained. But right now, I think it's continued simply because it's what we see being promoted as beautiful all the time. Curly-haired whites burn the crap out of their hair to get it straight, so do Latinas. Like it or not, STRAIGHT HAIR IS THE NORM RIGHT NOW-- for everybody. :look:

When curl season comes along, you'll see more people embracing curliness. I doubt it will ever be as widespread as straightness, at least not here in the USA due to the power structure. We know who the image makers are. We need to stop pretending that Black America lives in a bubble and we can be/are truly independent of the majority culture. When Latinos take over here, we'll start seeing shifts in music, style, fashion, culture, etc. But for now, all these things are still dictated by the majority culture. Black people do not live in a vacuum.

I don't think it's all colonization and slave mentality today, because that explanation conveniently overlooks the 70s when most black people were wearing afros. And it overlooks the 80s when everyone had some type of curl-- and even for white people the big teased-out curly hair was in style. And it even overlooks what's happening right now as more black women are going natural. I doubt more black people are just suddenly freeing themselves from colonization and oppression because they're still carrying the other markers of it like skin complexes, etc. Usually someone goes natural first and then they start repeating all the colonization/white/slavery stuff; rarely TODAY do I see it happening the other way around, like it happened in the 70s. It's reactive rather than the engine that sparked the physical change.

My point is that I do about half the things on this list and none of it, including straightening my hair, is because I want to be white.

Your constant referrals to colonization infer that black people are incapable of making choices based on our own preferences.

By the way, my list was not based on my own idea; it was based on a very popular website: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full-list-of-stuff-white-people-like/

Colonization and it's legacy permeates the fabric of this country and countries all over the world. The influences cannot be ignored. It is difficult for any group of people to break free from its effects. We can use the word 'preference', since it makes folks feel better, but really we have been brainwashed by the dominant culture to love and accept with open arms their ideals about aesthetics while casting out our own.

And regarding that website, it should by no means be referenced as a place to gain factual info about the lifestyles and preferences of any race of people. That blog is written in a purposefully witty satirical nature for entertainment purposes only, lol.

I think people continue to prefer it right now is because it's what's presented to us as glamorous and beautiful. If you want to go into the history of it, it's been explained. But right now, I think it's continued simply because it's what we see being promoted as beautiful all the time. Curly-haired whites burn the crap out of their hair to get it straight, so do Latinas. Like it or not, STRAIGHT HAIR IS THE NORM RIGHT NOW-- for everybody. :look:

When curl season comes along, you'll see more people embracing curliness. I doubt it will ever be as widespread as straightness, at least not here in the USA due to the power structure. We know who the image makers are. We need to stop pretending that Black America lives in a bubble and we can be/are truly independent of the majority culture. When Latinos take over here, we'll start seeing shifts in music, style, fashion, culture, etc. But for now, all these things are still dictated by the majority culture. Black people do not live in a vacuum.

I don't think it's all colonization and slave mentality today, because that explanation conveniently overlooks the 70s when most black people were wearing afros. And it overlooks the 80s when everyone had some type of curl-- and even for white people the big teased-out curly hair was in style. And it even overlooks what's happening right now as more black women are going natural. I doubt more black people are just suddenly freeing themselves from colonization and oppression because they're still carrying the other markers of it like skin complexes, etc. Usually someone goes natural first and then they start repeating all the colonization/white/slavery stuff; rarely TODAY do I see it happening the other way around, like it happened in the 70s. It's reactive rather than the engine that sparked the physical change.

Red bolded: I totally agree.

Blue bolded: The time of the afro and the black is beautiful movement was in direct response/opposition to white ideals regarding beauty (as well as other things). We had to psych ourselves up by amassing this entire movement with afros and picks and fists and the like. This was great, but proves the point that we have to do so much to assert ourselves in a world where our beauty is not readily showcased and/ or accepted fully...because of the effects of colonization. Let's also not overlook the fact that this 'movement' was short-lived, as people grew tired of the movement and yearned for their straight or otherwise processed hair back. Regarding the 80's big hair movement, that is not applicable imo as big hair essentially is not the issue, its highly textured hair. Teased straight and curly hair looks light years different than afro textured hair. In reference to the natural movement of today, it's fantastic, but 1) relaxed heads still dominate and 2) a lot of naturals still hold tight to the straighter is better mentality.

I don't think we prefer it or even most of us do. Did so many of us prefer it in the 60's and 70's?

Its similar to why men are said to "prefer" bony women, or "prefer" shaven legs, or black people "prefer" light skin. We are socialized to "prefer" the standard beauty ideal and in America, that is and has always been straight hair. Fads work the same way--one moment everyone prefers shoulder pads and the next moment its the ugliest thing walking.

Hey, I don't shave my legs because I truly prefer it, I shave them because I feel I have to or I'd be looked at with disgust if I didn't. I prefer being able to toss on a dress and just be me.

It'd be different if a few people preferred straight hair or whatever. But when the vast majority say they do, then there's usually a problem of not actual preference but a need for assimilation into the social norm for many of them. Especially when these preferences are of no tangible benefit (like height or muscle mass). Some have actual individual preferences for straight hair (IMO beauty is in the eyes of the beholder), but its hard to point out which is which and I strongly doubt that an entire race of people prefer to look different from who they are in the same exact way without outside influence. To believe that would mean that there actually is an ultimate universal beauty and that beauty just happens to keep coinciding with an entire group of people who just happen to be in power all over the world (straight hair, pale skin, colored eyes, light or blonde hair, etc.)

ETA: I agree with Jennboo and Junebug both. Its true that as black Americans, we are following the norms of OUR culture (included with white Americans), but our looks have never been a part of that norm. Our afro-mvmt was the only time we tried to starkly oppose it and it was short-lived. I think the 80's hair was just an acceptance of big, fluffy/curly white hair, definitely not kinky, afro hair. Similarly, there is an obsession over full lips and thick butts nowadays, but its not even associated with black women anymore. Instead, the media obsesses over J-Lo, Kardashian, Angelina Jolie, and white women with these features. You'd think given these new style norms, beautiful black women would be all over the media, but we're not. Asian women maybe, Latinos sometimes, but not black women.

Last edited:
Colonization and it's legacy permeates the fabric of this country and countries all over the world. The influences cannot be ignored. It is difficult for any group of people to break free from its effects. We can use the word 'preference', since it makes folks feel better, but really we have been brainwashed by the dominant culture to love and accept with open arms their ideals about aesthetics while casting out our own.

And regarding that website, it should by no means be referenced as a place to gain factual info about the lifestyles and preferences of any race of people. That blog is written in a purposefully witty satirical nature for entertainment purposes only, lol.

Actually, just so that you know, the website is NOT just for entertainment purposes. I've been following since it started. It's part of a social experiment. When it began, the author kept his identity a secret to follow people's reactions in the comments. ETA: Even as satire, I'm sure you know that no satire is for strictly entertainment purposes.

Since I'm one of those goofy English majors who studied English and Communication (with some philosophy and African-American lit) and am now in law school, I don't need a lecture about the history on the world from you. The ole "white folks brainwashed us" bit is so TIRED. So WHAT? What does that have to do with hair? Black people fry, dye, weave, and grow our hair because we want to. Even if we were the dominant culture, we would still experiment with our hair. That's always been the case, long before chattel slavery.

The true problems related to oppression deal with environmental racism, poverty, disparity in income, the HIV epidemic, etc. I don't choose to "ignore" oppression. I chose to go to law school so that I could have some degree of leverage in fighting against the problems minorities face in the public school system. What would be different about my life if I wore my hair natural? Would that make me more enlightened? Would that make me a better black person? I would argue that I'm truly free because I KNOW that I can wear my hair natural and I CHOOSE not to.

As an experiment, I wore a braidout or twist out every single day while stretching my relaxer for six months. I was working a federal courthouse where most of the other black people were defendants. Guess what??? NOBODY CARED. A lot of oppression is very real. A lot of it is created in your own mind.

Last edited:
Its similar to why men are said to "prefer" bony women, or "prefer" shaven legs, or black people "prefer" light skin. We are socialized to "prefer" the standard beauty ideal and in America, that is and has always been straight hair. Fads work the same way--one moment everyone prefers shoulder pads and the next moment its the ugliest thing walking.

I actually agreed with your post, but I had one question (not necessarily to you):

Why do so many black men still prefer thicker/curvier women when, for a hundred years, the American "ideal" has been stick-straight women?

Of course, some men are "chest" men, some men like big behinds, etc., and some men do actually like skinny women. If we are so deeply influenced by media/society, how do we form preferences at all?

I agree...she aint slick!!! Curly hair is a dominant trait, yt women fry their hair daily with a flat iron to mask the curl and suffer excessive heat damage, breakage and split ends.

I think its human nature to want what you dont have but yt's have consistently made a point of making us feel inadeqate over our God given features and attributes.....hair, buts, lips, etc.

That is so true! My white friend flat irons her hair daily and she sheds and has split ends up the wall. She was shocked to see how long my hair was compared to hers. I was shocked like " you're YT! you have no excuse for your hair to be this damaged and broken off" NOt everybody know how to take care of hair. I would think for YT ppl that it isn't that hard to maintain long hair with out it being damaged.

And hopefully those who wish to wear their hair straight will be free to do so without a bunch of natural Nazis insinuating they are brainwashed or engage in self-hatred because of a hairstyle!

I'm not a natural nazi. I straighten my hair and I wear straight wigs.:nono:

I actually agreed with your post, but I had one question (not necessarily to you):

Why do so many black men still prefer thicker/curvier women when, for a hundred years, the American "ideal" has been stick-straight women?

Of course, some men are "chest" men, some men like big behinds, etc., and some men do actually like skinny women. If we are so deeply influenced by media/society, how do we form preferences at all?

This is my theory. I could be talked out of it, however.

I think white and black men both prefer curvier women. I think it is fashion designers and women who prefer skinny women. I think Black men are for some reason less likely to worry about what society thinks of their women. Perhaps because they know most other black men have that same freedom? Perhaps because the black men who have those hang ups are with white women anyway?

Actually, just so that you know, the website is NOT just for entertainment purposes. I've been following since it started. It's part of a social experiment. When it began, the author kept his identity a secret to follow people's reactions in the comments. ETA: Even as satire, I'm sure you know that no satire is for strictly entertainment purposes.

Since I'm one of those goofy English majors who studied English and Communication (with some philosophy and African-American lit) and am now in law school, I don't need a lecture about the history on the world from you. The ole "white folks brainwashed us" bit is so TIRED. So WHAT? What does that have to do with hair? Black people fry, dye, weave, and grow our hair because we want to. Even if we were the dominant culture, we would still experiment with our hair. That's always been the case, long before chattel slavery.

The true problems related to oppression deal with environmental racism, poverty, disparity in income, the HIV epidemic, etc. I don't choose to "ignore" oppression. I chose to go to law school so that I could have some degree of leverage in fighting against the problems minorities face in the public school system. What would be different about my life if I wore my hair natural? Would that make me more enlightened? Would that make me a better black person? I would argue that I'm truly free because I KNOW that I can wear my hair natural and I CHOOSE not to.

As an experiment, I wore a braidout or twist out every single day while stretching my relaxer for six months. I was working a federal courthouse where most of the other black people were defendants. Guess what??? NOBODY CARED. A lot of oppression is very real. A lot of it is created in your own mind.

Hi there,

First bolded: What does that have to do with anything? The fact that it's part of a social experiment? The musings on that website are for entertainment purposes only and do not hold any real, factual information.

Second bolded: What does your degree have to do with anything? LOL. There are lots of educated, brilliant (those are not one in the same, by the way) folks who are ignorant about oppression and its long-lasting effect.

Third bolded: Agreed :look:, but thats not what's being debated, lol.

Fourth bolded:Folks' true feelings always come out in the wash, LOL. Always. Do you think it would make you more enlightened? Do you think itd make you a better black person? Those are coming from your fingertips, not mine.

Fifth bolded: A braid out on relaxed hair looks nothing like afro-textured hair. Try the experiment again.

i had a professor last year that said it is a "cultural norm" for blacks to be both late and loud.

but on topic: DO BLACK MEN PREFER STRAIGHT HAIR?

I totally agree about the lateness. Even if I am on time I can gaurantee the all my black family members won't be on time. The africans here and abroad are always late for everything(interviews, parties etc) So I know where we get it from.

Now about being loud. I think that is just some blacks and not all. especially the ghetto ones. I can be loud but there is a time and a place for that.

Yes We all know black men prefer straight hair. (some blk men will take whatever they can get) But the ones who have a chose do choose straight hair, and will be quick to tell a woman she needs a relaxer or says she has knappy hair:rolleyes:.

Before I read anyone's responses, these come to mind as reasons some may prefer straight hair :

• It's how they've always worn their hair so the only way they know to wear it and the only way they understand;
  • A history of disliking hair that was "nappy" passed on over generations;
  • It's easy and takes less time to deal with straight hair;
  • The media makes it seem as if straight hair is what's cool and so they adopt it;
  • They like how straight hair looks on them;
  • They just want a change of style because maybe they have always worn their hair coily and it's about time they tried something new;
  • Straight hair lets them enjoy and show off their true length and offers a range of styling options since their hair stays long;
  • Pressure from society...
    ...et cetera

Now off to read what others said.

Last edited:

Even skinny blk women have alot of curves and big breast and still fit in a size 3-7. they are not built like flat boards. So that could be the reason.

Only if you let it go there.

There's a lot of things that happens in life that can "disturb" you. It's up to you not to dwell on them.

There's no cycle. HAVING STRAIGHT HAIR DOESN'T LEAD BACK TO SLAVERY, INFERIORITY, ETC. That's CRAZY. If it's that deep, then maybe we need a PSYCHIATRIST on the board.:lachen:

I NEVER thought about slavery etc., when I thought of a type of hair, UNTIL I CAME TO LHCF.

Sometimes, It just is what it is, WITH NO DEEP MEANING.:perplexed

I really feel bad for the ones who live your lives in the PAST. :sad:

IT'S ONLY HAIR Y'ALL.:yep:

And most blacks preferring straight hair because of them liking the way it looks leads right back to all the history of slavery, and inferiority,etc. ...An endless cycle.

ITA. I call it "the why behind the why."

The following commentary I found on another site (non-hair related) and it pretty much sums up my opinion on the subject. Since the OP wants everyone to play nice, I feel that this is a safer option for me because if I say what's really on my mind...well....trust me. Here goes:

WOW!!!!! That was such a powerful quote. I am glad that you shared it. It does lead me to beleive it is apart of hatred that has been handed down to us. Relaxed heads don't look at it as hatred(i am kinky relaxed) But I know for sure MY MOTHER hated my kinky natural hair so she through a relaxer in it. And so many blk friends and family of mine would be the first ones to tell me to go and relax my hair(even though I already had one my hair still appeared knappy). So I do beleive it is hatred passed down to us, And since we have been relaxing since childhood WE CONSIDER IT NORMAL or by choice. relaxing is no longer a choice because not relaxing is really NO OPTION for some people. It is a duty that has to be done.

"it's only hair" yes, yes...the default response, when all else fails.

(despite paying money to post on a hair board to get tips on how to treat the hair, considering putting anti-perspirant on your scalp to keep from having your hair revert to its natural state, pandemonium about wearing you natch hair at job interviews, siggies dedicated to hair journeys/progress pics/in depth regimens, etc.)

Honestly, I don't think black men prefer thicker women. I think that's a myth. Most men of all races are attracted to women that are shaped like women. Some a little thicker than average and some a little thinner. If it was true that white men only liked thin women, then they'd have died out from not reproducing a long time ago. And I don't think black women have a monopoly on being thicker. The skinny white woman and the thick black woman are media portrayals.

Secondly, the "skinny" ideal is pretty recent, gaining prevalence in the 80's. Before that, average sized women were regarded as beautiful (ie. Marilyn Monroe), and before the media started to bombard homes with beauty images, men tended to prefer who they preferred, and not so much a monolithic preference towards one type.

But as an aside, losing weight is a lot more difficult than slapping a relaxer in one's hair every so often. Its an ideal that is more easily attained, so it makes sense that its naturally the one that black people subscribe to most easily. Many of us want lighter skin too, but that quickly becomes taboo because its not something we can actually make happen without waaaaay too much effort and pain.

This is my theory. I could be talked out of it, however.

I think white and black men both prefer curvier women. I think it is fashion designers and women who prefer skinny women. I think Black men are for some reason less likely to worry about what society thinks of their women. Perhaps because they know most other black men have that same freedom? Perhaps because the black men who have those hang ups are with white women anyway?

I agree! Because curvy women look like women! That's the whole point in being a woman. You're supposed to have curves!

I'm a skinny woman that's pretty curvy (well some think I'm skinny others think I'm not). I don't remember the source, but men generally find women attractive who have a .70 or lower waist to hip ratio (give or take of course, I think .80 too). That means a woman can be a size 5 or a size 20 and still look feminine and desirable depending on this.

But according to my hubbie, men really fall in love with a cute face more than anything, and a great personality, and body-wise we all look like women to them in general. They don't admit this, but they're not as obsessed over these ideals as we think. Including our hair.

Last edited:

(despite paying money to post on a hair board to get tips on how to treat the hair, considering putting anti-perspirant on your scalp to keep from having your hair revert to its natural state, pandemonium about wearing you natch hair at job interviews, siggies dedicated to hair journeys/progress pics/in depth regimens, etc.)

Are U Serious?:nono:

Its not just blacks that prefer straight hair, its whites, asians, hispanics, etc. I think its a universal thing. Even Caucasians with naturally curly hair alter their hair by blow drying and flat ironing for a sleeker straighter look

Cool. So white people straighten their hair to emulate the look of other white people. Black people also follow suit and straighten their hair to emulate the look of white people. One seems just a wee bit worse, in my opinion.

Question and I am truly curious.. If this is still the effects of colonization, slavery, etc. is it an endless cycle? If not when will it end? In 2050 will we still say black women who have straight hair are effected by brainwashing? My father would always say he went through this, this and this so we wouldn't have to. So is this a discussion we are having so our children won't have to? Because it just seems like this conversation never really changes.

A lot of people say straight hair is easier to take care of... Is it really? Nope.

Because I've seen lots of black women with straight hair that looks like they don't what to do with it. Or is it because you just think its easier? Nope.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who would argue that their own natural hair coming out of their head is easier for them to take care of then chemically altered hair.
I have had both and they both require the same mount of care.

The whole white is better issue has been pushed on us so long that we don't even see it as that anymore... I WISH people would chose straight hair JUST because they wanted it, but half the time this is not true...Yep. Youre right. There are some that choose strait hair just cause they want it.
My responses are in the red.

This thread had made me so sad. Just because black people wear their hair strait, we're brain washed? White people and other nationalities also do this. Are they also brain washed? This site is supposed to be free from this mentality.:rolleyes: It just makes no kind of sense.:nono: :look:

This thread had made me so sad. Just because black people wear their hair strait, we're brain washed? White people and other nationalities also do this. Are they also brain washed? This site is supposed to be free from this mentality.:rolleyes: It just makes no kind of sense.:nono: :look:
Yes, girl we're ALL brainwashed. You aint know? :rofl:

It IS only hair.

Folks are doing those things that you mentioned for HEALTHY LONG HAIR. That doesn't mean that there's some deeper meaning attatched to it.

Only if you let it go there.

There's a lot of things that happens in life that can "disturb" you. It's up to you not to dwell on them.

There's no cycle. HAVING STRAIGHT HAIR DOESN'T LEAD BACK TO SLAVERY, INFERIORITY, ETC. That's CRAZY. If it's that deep, then maybe we need a PSYCHIATRIST on the board.:lachen:

I NEVER thought about slavery etc., when I thought of a type of hair, UNTIL I CAME TO LHCF.

Sometimes, It just is what it is, WITH NO DEEP MEANING.:perplexed

I really feel bad for the ones who live your lives in the PAST. :sad:

IT'S ONLY HAIR Y'ALL.:yep:

I dont think anyone is saying that it is wrong to wear straight hair or that when you wear straight hair it automatically relates to slavery(and I am not either), they are just relating the trend in bw preferring or tending to wear straight hair as stemming from past AND present societal influences. Cultural tendencies DO tend to have a deeper meaning than one might realize and things are not always just what they are, there is more behind what things simply "appear" to be.

No one is living their lives in the "past", they are just giving their opinion on OP's question and looking at it from more of a historical standpoint.

And most blacks preferring straight hair because of them liking the way it looks leads right back to all the history of slavery, and inferiority,etc. ...An endless cycle.

I dont think anyone is saying that it is wrong to wear straight hair or that when you wear straight hair it automatically relates to slavery(and I am not either), they are just relating the trend in bw preferring or tending to wear straight hair as stemming from past AND present societal influences. Cultural tendencies DO tend to have a deeper meaning than one might realize and things are not always just what they are, there is more behind what things simply "appear" to be.

No one is living their lives in the "past", they are just giving their opinion on OP's question and looking at it from more of a historical standpoint.

So what did you mean by the first quote? Help me because I am a tad bit confused.

I think people take the whole straight hair versus natural hair thing too far. Its hair people. I dont relax because of some deep seeded hate for myself. I relax because my face doesnt look good with short hair. If I didnt have as much shrinkage as a natural head I wouldnt have relaxed. Its just style preference. I actually dont prefer straight hair over curly or natural hair. I just dont look good with short hair. Period....

Do some people do it for other reasons. Sure...But does that mean the majority do????? That type of thinking in my opinion is so judgemental. If society doesnt put people in a box enough we do it to ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back