How straight do you prefer your relaxers

lightly texturized... 5-8 minutes tops!
smile.gif

adrienne

Brownie this is how my hair dryed also. I wouldn't define it as underprocessed because it was very healthy and had spring to it. I notice this alot with people that have very thick hair. When wet it has a wave pattern and when dry it still is thick. I say we texturized it some, to loosen the curl-pattern a bit. Nothing more, nothing less
smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
SeaMist said:
I also see Allandra just mildly relaxes her hair and defines it as "texturized".

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, both terms pretty much mean the same thing.

In reply to:
SeaMist said:
I also see Allandra just mildly relaxes her hair and defines it as "texturized".

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, both terms pretty much mean the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Allandra. This is what I was trying to say
smile.gif

I like straight hair but not bone, skull hugging straight hair. I like thickness in length. can you have a straight relaxed look with a texturizer or only a full relaxer?

I like mine not overly straight. I like some natural wave left in my hair, but relaxed enough that I can get it straight with a bit of tension from wrapping or roller setting. This allows my hair to keep its thickness and lets me wear it curly if I want. At my last relaxer appointment, my stylist applied the relaxer with a tint brush, and rinsed it out without smoothing. The relaxer was only in my hair 10-12 minutes, and I was afraid it wouldn't relax adequately. But it turned out wonderfully.

my hair type is 4A. i consider it texturized. i leave the relaxer in 5-8 minutes. my last relaxer was done with Affirm Lye.

adrienne

Brownie said:
For those who are bone straight, straight or texturized, how long do you leave the relaxer in, and what is your hair type, and what kind of relaxer do you use? Just curious. Please reply. I've been wondering about this all day!
smile.gif
Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Texturized. Thick/4A, with some 3B. Revlon (Regular strength) left on for 15 minutes. It air dries curly and I can get it straight by blow drying or roller setting.

For those who are bone straight, straight or texturized, how long do you leave the relaxer in, and what is your hair type, and what kind of relaxer do you use? Just curious. Please reply. I've been wondering about this all day! Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brownie,

I am texturized and I have 3b/3c hair type. My mother applies Motions Oil Moisturizer in Mild to my hair with the tint brush and let it sit on my hair for 10 minutes without smoothing.

When you all say that you can still wear it curly if you want because it's not relaxed bone straight, what kind of curls do you mean? And how do you acheive them? By letting it airdry naturally?

For me, if I put some mousse or some type of product in my hair when it's wet and scrunch, my hair gets wavy with little curls at the ends. I don't use any heat in this process. Recently, I was having problems with this style, but I think I've figured out why, and evidence seems to be pointing to the Infusium Leave-In. I don't do this style much anymore though. I wore it out last year, anyway.
laugh.gif

Any 4A/B's who have transitioned from bone straight to "texturized/lightly permed"? What was your experience? Any advice? I would have never ever thought to change the relaxing time..... That would definitely help me in the area of thickness.

[ QUOTE ]
When you all say that you can still wear it curly if you want because it's not relaxed bone straight, what kind of curls do you mean? And how do you acheive them? By letting it airdry naturally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just air drying.

Re:

Okay to sum this up... are there any stylist suggestions on how to avoid underprocessed hair and yet still enjoy the benefits of less taxation on the hair by not processing to bone straight?

Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Okay to sum this up... are there any stylist suggestions on how to avoid underprocessed hair and yet still enjoy the benefits of less taxation on the hair by not processing to bone straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep saying this. Do a strand test on various sections of your hair. This, in my opinion, is one of the best ways to determine which strength to use and how long to leave it on.

Re:

That makes sense. My question is still open for any 4a/4b who has made the transition from bone straight to "texturized or lightly relaxed"... any ill effects?

Re:

Tracy I have been trying to do that (unintentionally at first). It has been very hard for me I get a lot of breakage after the 3rd week , when I started daily rinsin etc it really cut down but for me the demarcation is too big and I'm gonna go back to straight (not bone straight).I'm sure if i had the money to go to my hairdresser every week it would be fine, but considering that I am trying to learn how to do my own rollersets now it's rough.

Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy I have been trying to do that (unintentionally at first). It has been very hard for me I get a lot of breakage after the 3rd week , when I started daily rinsin etc it really cut down but for me the demarcation is too big and I'm gonna go back to straight (not bone straight).I'm sure if i had the money to go to my hairdresser every week it would be fine, but considering that I am trying to learn how to do my own rollersets now it's rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your honesty!!! I'll put this on the bottom of the "things to try" list
poke.gif

Re:

Tracy, I think if your hair is bone straight, you'll need to gradually go to lightly relaxed or texturized by slowly decreasing the amount of time you've left the relaxer on so that the difference in texture is not as obvious. Also, it seems that many who relax their hair bone straight will relax more frequently than those who do not.

Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy, I think if your hair is bone straight, you'll need to gradually go to lightly relaxed or texturized by slowly decreasing the amount of time you've left the relaxer on so that the difference in texture is not as obvious. Also, it seems that many who relax their hair bone straight will relax more frequently than those who do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have hit the nail right on the head with that one! That is why I am having to face a chop now... my hair is damaged from overprocessing.

Re:

My hair has always been permed STRAIGHT. To the point where I hate it for a good 2 weeks after my perm because it is too straight and limp. I want to have it permed a little less straight. I plan on talking to my stylist about it.

Back