"Why do so many blacks prefer straight hair?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Midwest...and alas, I spent most of my time in church so there was very little time for BET. Nor would I have been allowed to watch anything other than Teen Summit as secular music was off limits. But between church, school...and the mall (when I could escape) I was always around people.

I still haven't even seen half the episodes of In Living Color :nono:

I am beginning to think that where you were raised has something to do with how you view this. (This is just my opinion and its still just a theory)
I think its where you grew up and when you grew up that effects your perspective. I also grew up in the mid-west with strict parents and went to a diverse church where we spent most of our time.
I also haven't see very many In Living Colors but Living Single I could recite those word for word.

... and to think I was just about to answer the original question

Never mind! Carry on ladies! LOL :lachen: Back to the pregnancy forum

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Why are we even still discussing this topic.

Black women prefer their hair straight because maybe they just damn well prefer it to be this way. Whether or not they think it gets them higher on the social ladder, more manageability, or maybe because they believe it looks better on them its their preference.

I just dont understand why there ALWAYS seems to be variations of the same topic discussed so many different ways.

Geeze yall dont even know how to debate without all of this :catfight:

I remember buying something at a store in the mall, and I was wearing my hair in a shrunken coily fro. And a couple of white women said, "You're hair is pretty. I wish more African-Americans would wear their hair that way instead of straight." I didn't entertain or feed into the comment; I just said, "thanks" and left after making my purchase.

I saw a special on attraction on TLC or DISC a few months back and they were talking about hair color and length and sexual attraction. One theory for the dying of hair lighter is that a lot of yt children have light hair when born and then it grows in darker. So light hair would = youth and fertility at first glance to men. Same as long hair, perky boobs, and higher voice = youth and fertility.

I think we are a product of our society but it's not as black and white as colonization and slavery being the main reasons a large number of black women relax.

I wonder if blacks would be able to say the same thing about looser textured hair since newborns tend to have loser, silkier curls.

Wow. I must be really naive.

As a white woman who teaches in a 100% black community (for many years), I have only had good experiences. I love my students and they love me, their parents are nice, and I count many of my "co-teachers" (who are all black) among my dearest friends.

I had no idea that this type of hatred was so common among black people. I am shocked by the things I have read many of you say in this thread. I have NEVER heard a group of white women talk about black women like you are talking about us. As a matter of fact, I've never heard ANY white woman say something negative about black women. We never say this type of racist nonsense. It's considered ignorant and uneducated by all white people I know. I am shocked that these types of comments are considered as acceptable by so many of you on this board.

And what, exactly, is ethnic hair??? I am a blond white girl with a natural afro-tight-curl pattern. I see Asians (are they not part of an ethnic group???) with stick-straight hair...

And in regards to, so-called "black features", you may want to look in the mirror as to who is defining what is acceptable or desirable...I know good-looking, successful white guys who think dark-skinned black women ala Lauren Hill are hot but are too intimidated to approach them, while I know a black guy who only dates bland white women no matter what they look like...so you may want to think about who is really the culprits for what you THINK are society's standards of beauty.

Wow...just wow...

Beetlebug,

I am certainly not going to go visit some website that likely serves as a forum for mentally deranged people. (BTW- I am sure I could find similar websites against whites, blacks, Jews, Asians, and ANY group) There are always going to be sick, weird people in the world. My point is that amongst NORMAL people, these types of anti-black thoughts DO NOT EXIST. I grew up around tons of whites. We don't think like this, we don't talk like this. I have NEVER heard white people say things against black people in ANY kind of social setting.

:huh: WTH are you talking about? This thread isn't about you or anti-whiteness. Is it ok for something to not be about you? This thread is about the psyche of black women as it relates to OUR hair.

4505793726_e4aa53383b_o.gif

I now understand what 'ratchet' means.

-A

skegeesmb,

I am white. I grew up in a 99% white school system. I know for a fact that we don't talk about black people behind your backs because I have been around 100% white groups of people MANY TIMES and we don't do this. In my whole life, THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. If someone ever tried to do that, they would be labeled a social outcast. It is not considered socially acceptable behavior. Period.

That may be true for your social circle but there are many corners of America where your reality is the farthest thing from the truth of white America.

I remember buying something at a store in the mall, and I was wearing my hair in a shrunken coily fro. And a couple of white women said, "You're hair is pretty. I wish more African-Americans would wear their hair that way instead of straight." I didn't entertain or feed into the comment; I just said, "thanks" and left after making my purchase.

Lol, but honestly from MPOV not every AA can pull this look off without looking like an xtra from the cast of Roots. ***Dont Stone me yall***

ETA: Or maybe I shouldve used Good Times as a more modern example!

Last edited:
It's threads like these that make me feel a bit guilty and bad for relaxing my hair :look:

I don't think you should. We each do what is best for us.
I agree with most of the posts about why most black women relax but that does not mean I am anti-relaxer.
I relax both of my sisters' hair and my aunt's hair. I do it because it is their personal choice regarding what they do to their hair. I definitely know that my aunt wants her hair relaxed because of some of the reasons stated (she's made the statements) but that does not mean that I would refuse to do as she wishes or put her down because of it.
Ultimately, it is each individual's choice and we should feel good about our choices but that does not mean we can not discuss the reason behind a cultural choice.

Last edited:
I am beginning to think that where you were raised has something to do with how you view this. (This is just my opinion and its still just a theory)
I think its where you grew up and when you grew up that effects your perspective. I also grew up in the mid-west with strict parents and went to a diverse church where we spent most of our time.
I also haven't see very many In Living Colors but Living Single I could recite those word for word.

You just might be on to something with that theory...

Lol, but honestly from MPOV not every AA can pull this look off without looking like an xtra from the cast of Roots. ***Dont Stone me yall***

I think most black women would look great with their natural texture but lots haven't even tried.

I always thought Kizzie's short round afro was cute! So was Thelma's.

#kanyeshrug (I have been meaning to use that)

These threads are truly amazing! Maybe someone will post a question posed to them by their white friend that questions why so many black women are overweight. Heck, we might really start to to analyze our more serious issues/concerns. Crazy how still have conversations about what other people are curious about.

I think most black women would look great with their natural texture but lots haven't even tried.

This is true, no dispute to that point! I know my comment is a bit harsh, but I can think or quite a few folks in my social circle and family that wouldnt look flattering with an Afro. But, Im sure my perception is skewed to what MY ideas of flattering hairstyles are. Thats not to say I dont LOVE looking at the naturals here on LHCF cause just about all Ive seen wear the "natural" look VERY WELL.... I'm even back on the natural wagon.
I can honestly say I feel like Im not one of those that pull "the look" off well, but Im opening to trying it once again. Everyone have there reasons why they like str8 hair or natural, its all about doing you which I advocate.

These threads are truly amazing! Maybe someone will post a question posed to them by their white friend that questions why so many black women are overweight. Heck, we might really start to to analyze our more serious issues/concerns. Crazy how still have conversations about what other people are curious about.

Well...
These kinds of questions are the basis for sociology, anthropology, archeology, psychology, etc.
I actually enjoy them but that's just me.

I wonder if blacks would be able to say the same thing about looser textured hair since newborns tend to have loser, silkier curls.

I would be really disturbed if this was true because white people's hair color often changes when they are a bit older looking, like 7-13 (still a weird age for people to be scoping like that). That pre-puberty stage, not when they are 10-weeks. That ultramoisturized, ultranourished silky looking hair doesn't last long for us with the more cottony 4a-4b types, which is what a good chunk of us have. My hair was very silky when I was born but I can tell you it surely is not now. No ma'am. So If someone is looking to the newborns to what should be attractive for reproduction, that is really weird. Just my opinion. And I do think that most of this is colonization, slavery, globalization, because I don't know if anyone noticed but Africans were doing just dandy with meeting the opposite sex and procreating before they were told what's cute and what's not.

Last edited:
*clears throat*
Now who was that who said she has never heard someone say something negative about natural hair??

OK, I sooooo wasn't gonna comment but ... really? What is "the look" that all AA can't pull off? Looking like THEMSELVES? If it grows out of your scalp - regardless of texture, length, or color - it's your look.

*leaves to scratch head* :wallbash:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back