Why are "NATURAL HAIR" products so expensive

nappytherapy

Is it just me or are products marketed for natural hair are so expensive, $20 for 8oz of conditioner, that does not include shipping. I hear some people (on Youtube) say that because the ingredients are expensive. Not everyone can spend $100 on just conditioner that will be washed down the drain (literally)

There are reasonably priced products out there (Qhemet IMO), but then there are some that I would love to support their business but they make it very hard. I am going to become a mixologist, and make my own with the necessary ingredients. I will make a gallon each month.

I know there are some ladies who may not have much to spend, but want their hair to look flawless and moisturized.

Thanks for letting me vent !

i feel the same way i just went to get some jane caters nourish shine when i saw the 17$ price i bit down and paid it, then when i get home and opened it and seen how much was in the jar i almost fell over! what can we do write some of these comapanies and tell them that we are theyre biggest supporters and to help us help them!

The same is true for organic or a bunch of bad product free products. Why are you charging 4 dollars an ounce for shampoo when you havent had to put all the other trillion products in it ?

IDK but its a rip off do anything healthy .....hair care, eating, even buying recycled products. Call your self going green and end up in the poor house...*SMH*

I agree, and i think it is just ridiculous, especially the ones, that have ingredients that are not expensive.

It depends on where you shop. There are plenty of natural products out there that are affordable, and handmade, so you'd be supporting a small business. They will never be as cheap as commercial products, but that doesn't mean they have to be expensive either. :yep:

I think it's like food products. The better the quality, the more expensive the product will be (most of the time) and vice versa.

I have the major ingredients so far : Purified water, raw honey, olive oil, shea butter oil, coconut oil, panthenol etc and vitamin E as a preservative. That's basically it then add anything else you want to your mixture for thickness and scent. A lot of this stuff is on ebay for cheap or at my grocery store.

It depends on where you shop. There are plenty of natural products out there that are affordable, and handmade, so you'd be supporting a small business. They will never be as cheap as commercial products, but that doesn't mean they have to be expensive either. :yep:

I know natural products are a little on the expensive side. BUT $20 for 8 oz of conditioner :nono::nono:, I have a lot of hair so I can use 8 - 10 oz in one cowash session...I always support small businesses, esp if they are black owned and have quality products. But give a sista a coupon or something.

I am with ya. I make 90% of my own stuff. I could not pay those outrageous prices anymore. Once you get your routine down - then you will be fine.

I know natural products are a little on the expensive side. BUT $20 for 8 oz of conditioner :nono::nono:, I have a lot of hair so I can use 8 - 10 oz in one cowash session...I always support small businesses, esp if they are black owned and have quality products. But give a sista a coupon or something.

RIGHT???? There were ( WERE) some products that I was buying faithfully!!! and they never even threw in a sample or anything. Luckily - I researched enough to do my own thang. They can keep their 30 dollar condish.

I noticed that, and that's because it's business. See, the way naturals are through research, has shown that they are very particular about their hair care products and what they allow to be done to their hair. Companies market the products knowing most of us will pay the price. It's a big industry.

Natural hair care does NOT have to be expensive AT ALL. There shouldn't be a ton of stuff you should be using anyway. Find your staples and stick to them. My shea butter mix is the ONLY moisturizer I use. I even use it for styling. A lot of us naturals are PJs (especially those transitioning, curious, etc) so their curiosity has led to higher prices. It's usually products we could make ourselves.

I've peeped their game.

I agree with you OP. Its ridiculous. I love to support black businesses and I try to BUT it does get ridiculous with your paying 27 dollars for a jar of KCCC and 14 for KT plus shipping. Its like come on, why do we do this to our own. You over charge for a product that geared towards women of color and statistically speaking blacks (people of color) are the most disenfranchised/poor group on the planet. Its like get this 20 something dollar conditioner (plus shipping) or go to Walmart or Sallys and get something for anywhere between $2-$10????

But its like that for anything good and healthy because i do a lot of organic and natural groceries and its a hot mess how expensive everything is. I never tried the Jane Carter products because paying 20 dollars for that little bitty product was a major turn off. I buy Giovanni's direct leave in and its 8 bucks but thats more reasonable then other products and its in stock at the local health store

$20 for 8 oz isn't the standard. Shop somewhere else. Just because that place is expensive doesn't mean another place will be.

I make my own products too. I think natural products are so expensive because they're usually small scale companies. Organic products cost more. Non ethoxylated emulsifiers (I'm just taking an example) are quite expensive, as are many high tech natural extracts like C0² extracts. Those companies aren't usually big enough to buy directly from say Croda, they have to go to resellers who make a profit on the raw ingredients.

I shop online for my hair care products but I've never paid $20 for conditioner before shipping SheScenit has a 8 oz for $8 and Hairveda has a 16 oz for $7.75. So it doesn't have to be expensive you just have to find a vendor that meets your needs

The funny thing is when I decided to transition I bought all the most expensive products and tried them but my hair didn't like it at the time so I put the stuff away for use when I did the BC. I did the BC a week ago and tried KCC and some Carol's Daughter products I have been holding on to and my hair still doesn't like that stuff.

All my hair likes is Aubrey Organics WC conditioner and Giovanni direct leave in... and I can keep buying those conditioners for less than $10. So I'm sticking to what my hair likes and never mind the expensive products. Eventually as my hair grows I may have to make my own concoctions but if it still likes the same things I'll stick to the inexpensive organic stuff.

$20 for 8 oz isn't the standard. Shop somewhere else. Just because that place is expensive doesn't mean another place will be.

I am just stating my opinion. I don't live in the US permanently, go getting stuff shipped to my international location can be hectic. My original post did say that there are some that are reasonable, (Qhemet). Some places charge $16 plus shipping....

I am just stating my opinion. I don't live in the US permanently, go getting stuff shipped to my international location can be hectic. My original post did say that there are some that are reasonable, (Qhemet). Some places charge $16 plus shipping....

Oh ok I understand :yep: Where do you usually live? Do they carry Nature's Gate, Giovanni, and/or Kiss My Face products? All of those are natural brands at a reasonable price

Eek. International shipping will be the pits. I'm sorry. :(

And I noticed what you said about Qhemet. I haven't ordered from them, because to me, they're pricey. Everything is relative. :lol:

But its like that for anything good and healthy because i do a lot of organic and natural groceries and its a hot mess how expensive everything is. I never tried the Jane Carter products because paying 20 dollars for that little bitty product was a major turn off. I buy Giovanni's direct leave in and its 8 bucks but thats more reasonable then other products and its in stock at the local health store

:lachen:The Giovanni is Hlaf the price at TJ Maxx, Marshalls. I try to get all my fancy stuff there. Although I ddi go to WHole Foods and buy KCCC, im aprt of the transitioning/curious group. Don't get em wrong, i mix my own oils, butters, and DCs though. My fiends think i can fix anything with Molasses:lick::lachen:

Oh ok I understand :yep: Where do you usually live? Do they carry Nature's Gate, Giovanni, and/or Kiss My Face products? All of those are natural brands at a reasonable price

I live in Jamaica, but I am here for school in DC ( I try to order when I am here in the US). Or if I am in the UK (I try not to have anything shipped there)it can get pricey...

But I guess everyone has a different view of what's expensive.

Back