Expensive hair products that aren't worth the money

I won't even waste time doing a rant over Mizani products....but let's just say I'm still steaming over the $20 bucks I wasted this past weekend on Mizani's H2O Nighttime treatment.

Mis Jessies for sure ! I'm just glad I bought the curly pudding , babybutter and meringue for a big discount from a swap broad ..... I can't see paying 58 and 38 bucks for this mess ! I was mad I paid 15$ and 20 $ for it . The pudding was too heavy and stiff for my hair and the grape smell was too strong ,and the buttercream too greasy .. now I did like the Meringue a lot, but it cost too much retail :nono: !
on the other hand my sister loved the pudding when she natural...... so there you go everything is not for everyone :ohwell:

Wow, this is an interesting thread. I've never even heard of (let alone tried) some of the products that are listed here.

Even before I started my hair journey, I bought predominantly Motions products and gradually added other inexpensive brands like Proclaim, Revlon (relaxer), VO5 and Suave to my stash. These "cheapies" have worked for me, so I've stuck with them. :yep:

aveda, nexxus, kerastase, bumble & bumble, ojon, frederic fekkai, kiehls, keracare, miss jessie's ... those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head -- mostly marketing & hype when you look at the real ingredients compared to the price.

for example aveda:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/06/13/is-aveda-really-more-natural/

Aveda ingredient list (as taken from Drugstore.com)

Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Camellia Sinensis Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara Peel Extract (Bitter Orange), Astragalus Root (Membranaceus) Extract (Milk Vetch), Schizandra Chinensis Fruit Extract, Pinus Tabulaeformis Bark Extract (Pine), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Sedum Rosea Root Extract, Rehmannia Chinensis Root Extract, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium 80, PEG 7 Dimethicone C8-C18 Ester, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Amyl Salicylate, Amyl Cinnamate, Lycopene, Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopherol, Sucrose Palmitate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Polyglyceryl 10 Oleate, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance, Cistus Ladaniferus Oil, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone

the real deal -- ingredients list broken down:

Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium 80, PEG 7 Dimethicone C8-C18 Ester, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Polyglyceryl 10 Oleate, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone

Last edited:
aveda, nexxus, kerastase, bumble & bumble, ojon, frederic fekkai, kiehls, keracare, miss jessie's ... those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head -- mostly marketing & hype when you look at the real ingredients compared to the price.

Chile' Imma Beat You Down! :boxing:Git Out of Here Naming 3/4th's of my Favorite Stuff.:lachen:

Chile' Imma Beat You Down! :boxing:Git Out of Here Naming 3/4th's of my Favorite Stuff.:lachen:

lol, i'm just saying :grin::look::grin: ... read the ingredients. i have nothing against high end products with high prices if they delivery in quality ingredients & results.

now if these are working for your hair -- do you -- but i'm just saying know what you're really purchasing.

aveda, nexxus, kerastase, bumble & bumble, ojon, frederic fekkai, kiehls, keracare, miss jessie's ... those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head -- mostly marketing & hype when you look at the real ingredients compared to the price. for example aveda: http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/06/13/is-aveda-really-more-natural/ Aveda ingredient list (as taken from Drugstore.com) Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Camellia Sinensis Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara Peel Extract (Bitter Orange), Astragalus Root (Membranaceus) Extract (Milk Vetch), Schizandra Chinensis Fruit Extract, Pinus Tabulaeformis Bark Extract (Pine), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Sedum Rosea Root Extract, Rehmannia Chinensis Root Extract, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium 80, PEG 7 Dimethicone C8-C18 Ester, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Amyl Salicylate, Amyl Cinnamate, Lycopene, Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopherol, Sucrose Palmitate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Polyglyceryl 10 Oleate, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance, Cistus Ladaniferus Oil, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone the real deal -- ingredients list broken down: Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium 80, PEG 7 Dimethicone C8-C18 Ester, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Polyglyceryl 10 Oleate, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Woooow! I thought Aveda was natural! I've been thinking about purchasing it, too. Oh well :ohwell:

I agree about Miss Jessie's, Kerastase... Hell, everything you mentioned! :lol: The ingredients do NOT warrant the outrageous price tags

Hey ladies I like to go for things that have no decorations on the bottle... ie.. kera-care...
they are not cheap but the whole line works great in my hair... I'm a 4a

Keracare Humecto - might as well have "deep conditioned" with water :perplexed :nono:

Lol. I would like to add to the list Alterna Seasilk Volume Shampoo & Conditioner(d****, I got a discount but $90.00 down the drain) and also, Giovanni Direct Leave-in(nothing about it help my hair become tangle free and it left my hair crunchy when it dried--talk about yucky).

Keracare everything - I used it back in the day and it did nothing. I don't know why I tried it again recently - still does nothing.

Mizani poo, condish, hydrafuse, kerafuse - I'm willing to sell or trade a 3/4 bottle of the Hydrafuse for something. Everything else I gave away.

Curls Shampoo and conditioner- worked great the first time with the samples I got, but once I bought the bottles, they are just okay. I'm thinking my relaxed hair would have liked these better. The moisturizer is just okay too.

So far, Sabino MB is worth every penny!! The jury is still out on MT since I just started using it last week. I do like the Hydrathermal Naturals Protein Amino Condish, but may not reorder because I want to find something I don't have to order online.

lol, i'm just saying :grin::look::grin: ... read the ingredients. i have nothing against high end products with high prices if they delivery in quality ingredients & results.

now if these are working for your hair -- do you -- but i'm just saying know what you're really purchasing.

That's exactly how I feel about Wen. They charge way too much for ingredients that come in all the cheapie conditioner lines.

And, I really don't understand why people by Ojon restorative treatment. 55$ for some oil? Please. I could buy that at the grocery store.

Phyto Organics Theratin Extreme Moisture Shampoo = Nexxus Therappe
Phyto Organics Humectin Extreme Moisture Conditioner = Nexxus Humectress

As far as I'm concerned this is already a bait and switch.

I got the Phyto poo and con for six dollas and some change but they retail at twenty something a pop. I get the same results from Nexxus products as I do from dollar VO5/Suave type products. What's weird is that Nexxus products come out of the bottle feeling very thick and rich, but once they go on my hair it's like the consistency changes to water. Definitely not worth the price.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keracare Humecto can kiss my entire ***. I've used 2 full bottles of Keracare on both relaxed and natural hair. I've used it as a regular conditioner and a deep conditioner and it came up all kinda short.

And they can kick rocks talking about the new 'just like the tub' formula for the 8 oz bottles. GTFOOHWTBS! They done got all the money they getting outta me.

Nexxus products are ok, but they're overpriced.

The same for Barry Fletcher products. The ingredients are decent, and I expect more, but so far they're just not that great.

Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment - Cost $55

This is a huge rip off. The ingredients are :Elaeis Oleifera (American Oil Palm), Fragrance, Lecithin(a phospholipid and emollient mainly derived from common egg yolk or soybeans), Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C) , Citric Acid (Another form of Vitamin C), Serenoa Serrulata(Saw Palmetto), Prunus Africana (Pygeum Bark, also called Red Stinkwood or African Cherry).

None of the ingredients are rare or special. This product smells awful. This is solidified American Palm Oil. American Palm Oil can be purchased at any health food store for about $3 a jar. Basically this a $55 hot oil treatment.

Thanks for this little tidbit! I was actually going to look for the Ojon RHT this morning when I got to work. I'm so glad I saw this post!:notworthy

The entire L'Oreal Sulfate Free line.

A great marketing ploy, but useless. There are plenty of other product lines without the harsh SLS etc. with superior conditioning ingredients.

I am not being rude but John Frieda products are that expensive. Aren't they like $5.99 and they worked for me but I am not dazzled by it.

The point of the thread was things that cost more than they should. I have products that mimic John Frieda's for half the price with better results. Wasn't trying to sound poor- but really, its a great example of spending more than is called for over a name.

for example aveda:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/06/13/is-aveda-really-more-natural/

Aveda ingredient list (as taken from Drugstore.com)

Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Camellia Sinensis Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara Peel Extract (Bitter Orange), Astragalus Root (Membranaceus) Extract (Milk Vetch), Schizandra Chinensis Fruit Extract, Pinus Tabulaeformis Bark Extract (Pine), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Sedum Rosea Root Extract, Rehmannia Chinensis Root Extract, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium 80, PEG 7 Dimethicone C8-C18 Ester, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Amyl Salicylate, Amyl Cinnamate, Lycopene, Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopherol, Sucrose Palmitate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Polyglyceryl 10 Oleate, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance, Cistus Ladaniferus Oil, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone

the real deal -- ingredients list broken down:

Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium 80, PEG 7 Dimethicone C8-C18 Ester, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Polyglyceryl 10 Oleate, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone

tkj25, thank you sooo much for calling out that ingredients issue. They really try to get you w/ the way they list the ingredients, especially when they add the botanical names. A lot of times, those extracts mean nothing. They certainly don't w/ Keracare Humecto. I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who said that she might as well have DCed w/ water.

Yeah, I was using MOP for a minute there, and it's not really worth $17 for a conditioner. If you like Giovanni's, it's cheaper and is still organic. MOP made my hair feel sticky and hard.

I liked it at first, but after awhile, I realized it wasn't the greatest.

i am not impressed with the mop extreme moisture conditioner. for the money, i would expect there to be less parabens and the good ingredients that they tout to be at the beginning of the list not at the end.

Last edited:
To me, expensive hair-care products aren't worth the money (I'm talking like 20 and 30 dollar products) because often times you can find a product that performs the same way for cheaper or you can replicate the affects using natural things that are very inexpensive. Instead of buying a 20 dollar deep conditioner that claims to contain avocado and coconut extracts, why not make your own DC using avocado and coconut milk or oil? I've also been having great results with using ayurvedic powders as herbal cleansers and conditioners and they last for a very long time and leave my hair feeling nice and healthy. And they are cheap! Most of the powders only cost 3 or 4 bucks a box.

Phyto Organics Theratin Extreme Moisture Shampoo = Nexxus Therappe
Phyto Organics Humectin Extreme Moisture Conditioner = Nexxus Humectress

As far as I'm concerned this is already a bait and switch.

I got the Phyto poo and con for six dollas and some change but they retail at twenty something a pop. I get the same results from Nexxus products as I do from dollar VO5/Suave type products. What's weird is that Nexxus products come out of the bottle feeling very thick and rich, but once they go on my hair it's like the consistency changes to water. Definitely not worth the price.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keracare Humecto can kiss my entire ***. I've used 2 full bottles of Keracare on both relaxed and natural hair. I've used it as a regular conditioner and a deep conditioner and it came up all kinda short.

And they can kick rocks talking about the new 'just like the tub' formula for the 8 oz bottles. GTFOOHWTBS! They done got all the money they getting outta me.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Back