Are there any who fear buying cheap shampoo or conditioner?

The first 8 months of my journey I was using cheapie conditioners. SMH!! All conditioners are not made equal and I had no real retention with them. I started using Nexxus and never looked back.

I love my V05 and Suave....i've been using V05 since i first started taking care of my hair 4 yrs ago!:yep: My hair has no issue with them at and i retain length just fine. The only expensive brands i buy for my hair are Oyin and sometimes Curl Junkie.

Not at all.

Some drugstore brands I just simply will not part with. I need my head & shoulders, garnier, HE LTR, aussie 3 min, ORS, creme of nature, and tresemme. I have just recently bought the suave rosemary + mint shampoo & condish and it was great for my hair plus it had lot of great ingredients. I don't mind mineral oil, sulfates, cones, etc.

I love how these products work for me and are available everywhere and are cheap. In contrast, I will not part from my paul mitchel, hayashi, TIGI, fekkai, redken, and other high society salon brands either.

I used to buy all expensive products, and I ended up giving most of them away. Since then, I've tried a lot of cheap brands and I find them to be better than a lot of the expensive stuff that I had.

When I finish using up my expensive stuff, I'm planning on using less expensive ...and cheap brands only.

I bought a protein conditioner for a dollar 2 days ago and its the best darn conditioner I've ever Co-washed with!!!!

My hair was softer easier to comb and I used some as a leave in, air dried over night and in the morning...

My hair was softer and easier to comb and its almost time for a relaxer too.

My hair has never been manageable after a co-wash this is my conditioner for life

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

The times i have tried REALLY cheap products ($4 or less) they always dried out, or made my hair dull (Suave, VO5, Tresemme ETC) However i don't need *really* expensive products either, i use Aubrey Organics, Giovonni, Or Matrix Biolage those are like mid-line priced to me , but work great.

I'll use a cheapie conditioner like VO5, Suave, Skala, etc to co-wash with. I see nothing wrong with it and believe that that's their purpose along w/ maybe making a spray moisturizer with them. I wouldn't dare use them as a DC.

I also see nothing wrong with using a cheapie shampoo as long as it moisturizes and detangles your hair.

I'll use a cheapie conditioner like VO5, Suave, Skala, etc to co-wash with. I see nothing wrong with it and believe that that's their purpose along w/ maybe making a spray moisturizer with them. I wouldn't dare use them as a DC.

I also see nothing wrong with using a cheapie shampoo as long as it moisturizes and detangles your hair.

I miss Skala... :sad:

I used to kind of be like that. And I will still try out expensive products if they peak my interest. However, things had to change once I became a stay at home mom. I'm working now but I'm still kind of following the same routine.

I will gladly use a cheapie conditioner (Suave) if I'm cowashing or swimming. My deep conditioner is usually Lustrasilk. The only things I spend considerable money on is what stays in my hair (moisturizers, butters) and even then I can get some shea butter which is fairly cheap and readily available.

As long as the ingredients aren't terrible, I'm good.

As someone else said, I'm more willing to try out cheaper products than expensive ones, because I'm always afraid of new products not working. But then at the same time, I'm also afraid of the really really cheap products, because they tend to be mostly filler ingredients... So I guess I would call the products I use "mid-range".

I selected Sauve Naturals because I compared ingredients and they had les harmful, no cones and no laural sulfate. Additionally, I had one daughter with Classic length, I was BCL and a another with BSL thick hair, the price was right. The variety allowed me to select based on our individual hair needs. My oldest has since moved on to Giovanni because she pays for her own. We only use the conditioners. I always say, use what your hair needs not based on price, name or alot of cute or interesting sounding ingredients.

I invest my money based on ingredients not brands.For instance Nexxus Therappe and Humectress are awful for my hair leaving it dry as hay,Keracare Humecto is even worse! It's probably the worst conditioner i ever used.
I find some products such as creme of nature to be working well for me ,Atone ,Elasta Qp dpr and fructis triple nutrition mask
However i prefer natural-ish products such as Curl junkie ,Bee Mine ,shea butter ,My honey child ,Darcy.

For cowashing i use Fructis Triple Nutrition ,i pretty much like anything from Fructis apart from styling products and some shampoos.

I used to like Motions cpr until i found out it has all 4 parabens in it.

Last edited:
I'm not afraid of cheapies because I still use Suave... but the Vo5 Moisture Milks burned the heck out of my scalp. I'm talking chemical burns.....as if I had a relaxer left on for too long. I chucked that stuff in the trash with a quickness. Never again.

Iluvsmuhgrass said:
I'm not afraid of cheapies because I still use Suave... but the Vo5 Moisture Milks burned the heck out of my scalp. I'm talking chemical burns.....as if I had a relaxer left on for too long. I chucked that stuff in the trash with a quickness. Never again.

Seriously? I didn't know that was possible, you most have been allergic

My hair used to love some cheap Wella Balsam Silk Shampoo and Conditioner. They stopped making it way way back when. LOL

I just bought Garnier Fructis Length & Strenght shampoo and conditioner and it is the business!! this is my first time trying it and its only because the newpaper came with a coupon and it was on sale at Rite Aid. With those two together, i only paid about $4 for both and i love it now!!

I care not what the price is...I just need it to be awesome. My hair loves Wen, and it also loves $5 Tresseme Naturals. It loves super cheap, all natural herbs and oils, and it also loves pricey satin bonnets. So, just be good. That's all I ask!

I used to fear it then gave it a shot anyway & to my biggest surprise & shock, suave daily clarifying shampoo is fabulous. I will never try another clarifying shampoo. I use it one every 6-8 weeks.

suave almond shea conditioner is fabulous

tresemme naturals moisturizing conditioner is great for cowash/detangling & has no cones

I had bad experiences with v05. I had a skin reaction to it. I got itchy & got welts on my face, neck, shoulders. I had to take benadryl to stop the reaction. And it made my hair a dry nest.

Last edited:
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!...i used vo5 a few years back (i think the strawberries and cream), and my scalp started burning like you wouldn't believe!! :blush::blush:....I thought my scalp was just sensitive....

I dont use poo anymore but I will buy cheap conditioner I have Aussie Moist, Aussie 3 Min and HE LTR those are my cheapest:)
oh and Suave Almond n Shea too

Price doesn't always indicate quality/effectiveness. Being knowledgeable about what is on that ingredient list, expensive or not, is most beneficial. There are many products out there that are expensive 'just because' when really the quality of their ingredients are the same of products of lesser price.

Back