Why am I watching Queen a day before I have a date with a WM??

tarheelgurl

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Queen and Roots generally stir up the 'black power' within me. Sitting here I realized I have a date on Monday with a white guy. :grin: I'll watch some football to work out all the tension before Monday....:look:

Don't know what Queen is, but I watched Roots series with my first white SO lol.

Hope you have a nice date. :)

Queen is the history of Alex Haley's father's family if I'm not mistaken. Did either of you feel uncomfortable watching Roots? Did you discuss it? He's not here so I don't have that situation but for some reason these movies bring out the Malcolm in me for a hot second.

I'm sure the date will be fun but thanks for the well wish!:grin:

Queen is the history of Alex Haley's father's family if I'm not mistaken. Did either of you feel uncomfortable watching Roots? Did you discuss it? He's not here so I don't have that situation but for some reason these movies bring out the Malcolm in me for a hot second.

No, not at all. He was the one that suggested it lol. With him, he was quite clued up on things and hates racism/slavery. Talked to him about anything race related. He's very sweet and very, very shy but racism is the only thing that makes him burst out and start arguing with people lol.

I did have one partner who wanted to believe that the world was colourblind and we should all just hold hands. Watching ANYTHING with a black/white race element with him was uncomfortable. He found it uncomfortable, so I just didn't bother after that. If I truly did feel hate towards all white people after watching this stuff I would understand him feeling that way. It wasn't quite that though, so I thought he was overreacting. He seems to have changed now and seen the light, but I'd never get with a non-black person like that again -_-

Awww Tarheelgurl, get it!!!

But yeah, you probably should watch something else to mellow out before your date. I hope you have an amazing time!

Don't go watching mississippi burning then, you'll be ready to march on his a$$ lol.....

Awww Tarheelgurl, get it!!!

But yeah, you probably should watch something else to mellow out before your date. I hope you have an amazing time!

I changed the channel...organized my closet by color and finally fell asleep so I'll be good my tomorrow.:grin:

Yea, Queen is probably not the best bet before an IR date. lol! I watched it again during the holidays and went back to work ready to throw down with the bigots I work for! :swearing:

My exH (white) was also like a PP. Nothing made him yell and swear like racists and their antics. However, he was one of them yt folks that was raised around all blacks so race talks and movies were never uncomfortable in the 20 years I was with him. His ONE redeeming quality. lol

Maybe a nice period piece will put you in the mood for your date, however. lol. Good luck!

Yea, Queen is probably not the best bet before an IR date. lol! I watched it again during the holidays and went back to work ready to throw down with the bigots I work for! :swearing:

My exH (white) was also like a PP. Nothing made him yell and swear like racists and their antics. However, he was one of them yt folks that was raised around all blacks so race talks and movies were never uncomfortable in the 20 years I was with him. His ONE redeeming quality. lol

Maybe a nice period piece will put you in the mood for your date, however. lol. Good luck!

I know right...@the bolded! I have been in an IR before but its been a while but it has been a long while. So, I didn't want to walk in with my fist all in the air talking bout 'free the people' all behind Queen. :grin::lachen:

What a great movie...I never cried until I seen this movie recently, when she said that her prince came on a fairy boat I was too through!

I had not seen the movie in years so watched the whole series yesterday.

I'm embarresed to say that I watched the whole thing and feel asleep with like 5-10 minutes to go. What happened after Queen went to the crazy house?

I had not seen the movie in years so watched the whole series yesterday.

I'm embarresed to say that I watched the whole thing and feel asleep with like 5-10 minutes to go. What happened after Queen went to the crazy house?

Wish I could help you....I changed the channel.

I've seen it a long time ago and recently when it came on; I watched what I could. Don't have a White SO so I don't know how it would affect me if I watched it and had to spend time with him. I don't think it would affect me one way or the other. Because I can't change the past.

I've seen it a long time ago and recently when it came on; I watched what I could. Don't have a White SO so I don't know how it would affect me if I watched it and had to spend time with him. I don't think it would affect me one way or the other. Because I can't change the past.

I'm pretty sure at least he would feel weird watching Rosewood with you :lol:. Of course no one is really tripping that hard...we're just being funny about it.

My SO and another white guy I dated was waaaaay head of me in terms of Black history, "black power" in some ways.:lol: Current SO read just about every single book on the subject since he was in high school. His first book was The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and being that he was an English major in undergrad it was no big deal.

And yes, he watched all of those movies before we knew each other. He's constantly looking at YT videos and browsing books. Looking at him at first glance, you would have no idea but I learned not to judge a book by its cover.

I don't go around blaming whites for stuff that happened decades or centuries before they were born.

So, how was the date?

[USER]mwedzimwedzi[/USER]

:grin:It was really great...considering we got caught in the middle of an MLK day parade, in the middle of Savannah, surrounded by black folks filled with black pride, on the day a black man was innaugurated for a second time as president, two days after I watched Queen....:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I came to the conclusion I have no hangups about watching those shows and mixing with a white man!:grin::lachen::lachen: My black power is under control and I am not anti white or anything else. :grin:

We had dinner and walked down by the river. It was fun going in and out of the quirky shops. The funniest moment came while we were at Paula Deen's little shop and there was a skillet. He picked it up wondering out loud what kind of pan it was. I saw the tag...he couldn't from his view point, and I told him "...its a HOECAKE pan..." Because that what the tag said.

:lachen::lachen: He was like....:blush: "...a what? What did you say?"

Me: "Its a HOECAKE pan..."
:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Him: :blush: "...A WHhORECAKE PAN??A Hoecake pan?? A what?"

All the women around us fall out laughing!:lachen::lachen:

I take the pan and turn it around so he can see the label...no more words from me cause I'm choking by now.

But he's super nice guy and we had a really good time.

I hate Halle in Queen. She ruined it for me.

Aww really? I thought she was decent but it wasn't her best effort for sure. I think most of the emotion I get from the movie comes from the other actors. She does have some moments where I can really put myself in Queen's point of view but that goes in and out.

people think Im kidding when I say Halle is a mediocre actress.

Glad you had fun tarheelgurl. The way to find out the kinda dude he is..is with bait questions :look:

Once upon a time I was in the hipster scene(well the music)..a lot of them dudes act enlightened and ish name dropping black authors, causes blah bloody blah, but more often than not they are just as ignorant.

people think Im kidding when I say Halle is a mediocre actress.

Glad you had fun tarheelgurl. The way to find out the kinda dude he is..is with bait questions :look:

Once upon a time I was in the hipster scene(well the music)..a lot of them dudes act enlightened and ish name dropping black authors, causes blah bloody blah, but more often than not they are just as ignorant.

[USER]FelaShrine[/USER]

I feel you about the "enlightened" crap. A fair share of WM that have come my way were on that 'I'm white but down with the cause..' BS. Or they were the 'I'm just like a black guy' type. This guy is just a plain ole white guy not trying to impress me with his knowledge of black history or rap music....he was just a regular person. :lachen: I like it like that!

Back