Who NEVER had Armpit length,but now does!

*raises hand* Before lhcf my hair was NEVER armpit or thick. Now its almost MBL and has gained much more volume. I never thought it was possible til now!!! :D

my hairs grown so much since starting this board, but initially in 2003 was the first time in my life that i reached armpit length.

my hairs grown so much since starting this board, but initially in 2003 was the first time in my life that i reached armpit length.

KiniKakes said:
*raises hand* Before lhcf my hair was NEVER armpit or thick. Now its almost MBL and has gained much more volume. I never thought it was possible til now!!! :D

Kinikakes, I was wondering about you. That's so good to know. I was so impressed by tips from your journal, I printed them out. The regimen I follow is a piggie back from yours. The day my hair swoops to the side and flows at APL in the front as in your pic is when I will break out in a HOLY DANCE!

I haven't reached APL yet, but I'm not too far away. Before LHCF, my hair never grew past a little below the base of my neck. And, when it did grow to that length, it always looked too thin. So, I usually kept my hair cut in layers or a chin length bob. My hair now appears thicker, has more volume and has grown past the base of my neck. :D

OOOooo Me! I've never had hair this length before. As a child, I was lucky if I had ear length. Unfortunately, my mom never learned how to do hair, EVER. I started taking care of it myself in my early 20s and it got a lot better. I managed to reach shoulder and a little below, but couldn't get past that. My stylist told me that genetically that was as far as my hair could grow. Then I got hooked on streaks and highlights....after 4 or 5 years that became hair disaster. I found LHCF in January 2006 and the rest is history. I reached APL from neck length in less than one year. I am now about 1.5 inches away from BSL. I can't believe it took all these years to even find out my hair was capable of growing and looking like this. You ladies can definitely do this!;)

P.S. Check out the comparisons in my fotki.

My entire life I have not gotten past neck length. When I was at neck length I used to think that my hair was "gettin long":lol:

I am now approaching APL for the first time in my life. I will be there by the middle of the year and BSL by the end of the year or beginning of next year;)

Lavendar said:
OOOooo Me! I've never had hair this length before. As a child, I was lucky if I had ear length. Unfortunately, my mom never learned how to do hair, EVER. I started taking care of it myself in my early 20s and it got a lot better. I managed to reach shoulder and a little below, but couldn't get past that. My stylist told me that genetically that was as far as my hair could grow. Then I got hooked on streaks and highlights....after 4 or 5 years that became hair disaster. I found LHCF in January 2006 and the rest is history. I reached APL from neck length in less than one year. I am now about 1.5 inches away from BSL. I can't believe it took all these years to even find out my hair was capable of growing and looking like this. You ladies can definitely do this!;)

P.S. Check out the comparisons in my fotki.

Neck to APL in less than one year?!?! That's amazing!! Congrats.......now tell us your secret(s) (lol)

ME!!!!!:grin:

Janeemat, before I started actually taking care of my hair (no relaxing, tight pony tails and just generally all the No -Nos) my hair was above neck length. It was thin and lifeless.

I too felt discouraged, impatient and unsure whether I would ever have 'long' hair. But thank the good Lord He lead me to this website because seeing all these BLACK long haired ladies really inspired me. IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!

A lot of peeps on this board NEVER had long hair. You should check out the thread 'Day and Night Comparisons' I think that's what it's called (?) where a lot of ladies with APL hair started off with very short hair.

No matter how fast you're hair is growing, you're on the right track Janeemat if you're caring for your hair properly and seeing retention of length.

Don't give up- you'll have a testimony.

I've never had APL in my life until now. When I was like 5 or 6, I had shoulder length hair but as I got older, it got shorter and shorter and now I am past APL coming up on BSL.

You ladies are all very inspirational, I've never had hair past neck length and I too hope to achieve the lengths you all have.

I love Jen's hair. It looks even better in person. She is pretty woman.

My hair is almost APL when flatironed. It has never been that long before.

Summa Bliss said:
ME!!!!!:grin:

Janeemat, before I started actually taking care of my hair (no relaxing, tight pony tails and just generally all the No -Nos) my hair was above neck length. It was thin and lifeless.

I too felt discouraged, impatient and unsure whether I would ever have 'long' hair. But thank the good Lord He lead me to this website because seeing all these BLACK long haired ladies really inspired me. IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!

A lot of peeps on this board NEVER had long hair. You should check out the thread 'Day and Night Comparisons' I think that's what it's called (?) where a lot of ladies with APL hair started off with very short hair.

No matter how fast you're hair is growing, you're on the right track Janeemat if you're caring for your hair properly and seeing retention of length.

Don't give up- you'll have a testimony.

Summa, your hair is sooo beautiful. That's for sharing your story!

Last edited:
I have never had hair to or past my shoulders. I am not APL by any means but I will get there before the year is up thanks to this place and my sister for leading me here. Its good to know that a lot of people including myself never had long hair as a child. My hair was so hard for my mom to manage she just gave in and used the hot comb(the stove one) and relaxed my hair at a young age. Keep on striving shoulder length and below girls we will make it. People say hair grows faster during the spring and summer months so lets hope and pray they are right.

I dont ever recall having hair past APL. Shoulder was the longest for me. Thank you to all of you inspiring ladies on the board and I had to give a shout out to everyone else who has made it!! :Yay: Congrats to you !!!! You have worked so hard to get where you are!!! To everyone else keep thinking positive, you CAN do it!! We are all here to cheer and encourage you along!!

XXXtacy – Congrats on reaching your goals!

Lashay06 – Woah!! Very inspiring! You hair is just beautiful! Very Healthy

Senimoni – I love your braidout and hair texture. I looks so soft and full!!

Msocoface – Great Progress!!

Rzilynt – Talk about inspiration..Your hair is just amazing. I love your ends..nice and blunt

Caligirl- I hope to meet you at brastrap this year!! I think we started at the same time. Great attitude

Oneinamillion – You know ur my girl.. I love your hair

KinKakes – You are such an inspiration…givin a sista some hope ova here!! Just to know that you never had long hair reminds me that its possible!! Thanks for all of your contributions!

Silvergirl – I would trade my hair for your anyday!!! Just BEAUTIFUL!!

Divinefavor – Great Progress!

Lavendar – You are working it girl!! Tell EM YES YOU CAN!!

Trimbride – You have retained plenty in the past year – grow on!!

SummaBliss – I love your hair!!

Nelli – You have my dream hair! I cant wait until my hair evens out like that. Very healthy. You have done an incredible job. Give us hope!

Soun – Congrats on reaching BSL –Ahh, I can only dream of the day!

Ok, so I have NEVER had APL in my entire life ! I mean, the longer lenght that I had was only "touching shoulder lenght" ^^ and in bad BAD condition (thanks gels and heat :perplexed !)
Now, I'm very close to APL ! Since I've joined LHCF, I have learned a lot about my hair and its needs. I dare to think about what my hair would be If I had never joined this board :eek:

I am about an inch or two away from APL currently.

Looking at my eight-year-old daughter, who has a hair texture that is extremely similar to mine when I was younger, I am pretty sure I had APL hair as a child. The difference is, my mother let the shrinkage fool her.

Most importantly, my mom subscribed to all of the hair myths that so many black mothers did back then. She pulled too tightly on my sides, used too much grease, did not wash my hair as often as she should have, etc... Thus, when I relaxed in junior high, it was always short.

My sisters have hair similar to my youngest daughter, 3b/3c hair with a looser curl. Therefore, their hair had less shrinkage and seemed longer. When we were growing up, it was said that they had "good" hair and I did not. Believe it or not, my mother was a beautician, and owned her own salon...but treated my "nappy" hair differently.

My daughters, 8 and 3, both have natural hair (one has 4b like me, and the other has 3b/3c like my sisters) and when I straighten my oldest daughter's hair, it is so thick and long. I have yet to straighten my youngest child's hair, but when I am washing it, it reaches to her mid-back.

With my regimen, I am confident, they will both retain their current glory well into their adulthood.

When you know better, you do better.

I have seen some good looking healthy heads of hair in this thread. You ladies are wonderful! Just seeing and reading your testimonies are so inspiring. I can't wait until I have the same testimony!

Yea this is the first time that I have had APL since I was 5. My hair was brastrap when I was little and once I got older, I ruined it. This is the longest my hair has been since i can remember.

jovan787 said:
Neck to APL in less than one year?!?! That's amazing!! Congrats.......now tell us your secret(s) (lol)

Ha! No secrets here! I started by cutting out all heat...absolutely no blow drying and I might have flat ironed twice that first year to check my full length. I still have not used a blow dryer since 01/06 and don't plan to ever again. I cowashed twice a week for a while, but had a major setback due to lack of protein. I shedded big time for a few weeks until I discovered how to use Aphogee, then I eventually got back on track. And now wash/DC or lite protein once a week and Aphogee every 6 weeks. I bunned throughout the first year and still do actually. I sprayed Surge 14 on my scalp and followed up with WGO and massage every other night. I saturate my ends with Cantu Breakcure and cover my hair and ends with a light application of coconut oil. Throw up into the bun with my hands...no combing during the week. At first I did braidouts cause I didn't have enough hair to make a bun, but as soon as I could I did that from then on. I didn't take any growth aids or use anything out of the ordinary until November (cause I was scurred), when I started doing henna w/herb treatments. By then I had already gotten great growth, but the henna did a lot for my hair with strengthening and adding great color and shine. I just started taking Biotin a couple months ago cause they are tiny and I can swallow them easily:look:. I do think they enhance my growth. I saw new growth come in much earlier after my last relaxer. I also just started using the Boundless Tresses, and I really do like it so far. That's it...no secrets...kinda boring...cause patience and consistency is really the secret and that gets so borrrringgg! Hang in there!!!;)

P.S. Serenity...thanks for the shout out girl!:kiss:

Back