From shoulder length to arm pit length

When I eventually reach SL...........someday....:look: ............I imagine it will be a bit of a hurdle getting to APL. I just looked at the distance from my armpit to where my hair is now, and it's at least a mile. Having a long neck ain't always fun. :( I'll just revel in the health of the hair I guess.

I'm 5'10", so the distance between shoulder to armpit seem HUGE! :perplexed

I plan to get there by following an intense vitamins routine, cornrow every 2 weeks, daily scalp massage, hiding hair with instant weave and baggie ends nightly. :D I want to be there by August, 2007!

My hair currently touches my collarbone, I am 5'7" so I am about 4-5 inches from APL. I will get there by my 1 year anniversary in May

Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful advice. I was wondering how often are each of you ladies pooing and deep cond. I have a weekly regimen which is now on Sat since I need at least 4hr for a good hair do. I pre poo, poo and deep cond weekly. Is once a week good for reaching my goal of apl by Dec 2007. When my hair was badly damaged in March 2005 I did it on Mon, Wed and Sat without fail (Cathy Howse tips). Now my schedule is too hectic for hair do's 3x's a week. Believe me, I take real good care of my hair. I haven't used a blow dryer since Dec 2005, I have been roller setting and only use a ceramic t 3 iron to press new growth from about 6 wks on. I guess I just need reassurance that a weekly regimen will get me there.

janeemat said:
Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful advice. I was wondering how often are each of you ladies pooing and deep cond. I have a weekly regimen which is now on Sat since I need at least 4hr for a good hair do. I pre poo, poo and deep cond weekly. Is once a week good for reaching my goal of apl by Dec 2007. When my hair was badly damaged in March 2005 I did it on Mon, Wed and Sat without fail (Cathy Howse tips). Now my schedule is too hectic for hair do's 3x's a week. Believe me, I take real good care of my hair. I haven't used a blow dryer since Dec 2005, I have been roller setting and only use a ceramic t 3 iron to press new growth from about 6 wks on. I guess I just need reassurance that a weekly regimen will get me there.

I think that sounds fine. I poo and deep condition once a week as well. Roller setting sounds like a great way to keep the hair straight w/o direct heat for a while. A lot of ladies here have similar regimens and have grown out their hair just fine.

Whew.....I'm 5'10" and it seems like its taking forever to hit APL. I'm considering wearing falls again till March but I like being able to pamper my hair. Currently I'm wearing updo's. My stylist put my hair in a french twist with MY HAIR and I durn near cried when I saw the finished product. I keep getting compliments on my hair. I'm going to TRY and keep my hair up for the entire month of December. See where its at in January and make a decision from that.

I do feel discouraged at times because I've heard that this is the hardest goal to achieve. I'm constantly wearing protective styles and keeping it moisturized because I am so paranoid. :lol: I think I am harder on myself during this phase than going from short/pixie to SL.

I truly wish everyone the best during this phase!!! :)

I'm 5'10 and when I began in August, APL seemed sooooooooooo far away. I've been washing, deep conditioning eating boiled eggs, doing protein treatments and putting a scoop of vanilla protein powder in my oatmeal. I've mainly done buns too. I flat-ironed my hair last night and I'm maybe 1.5 inches from my goal. Hopefully I'll be there by the end of March.

I'm 5"6 and it took me 8 months which included one major trim in May. I kept my hair up off of my shoulders this whole year.

isioma85 said:
When I eventually reach SL...........someday....:look: ............I imagine it will be a bit of a hurdle getting to APL. I just looked at the distance from my armpit to where my hair is now, and it's at least a mile. Having a long neck ain't always fun. :( I'll just revel in the health of the hair I guess.

Man, do I understand your pain. I have a long neck too. My hair has gotten from chin length bob to the top of my shoulders pretty quickly though. But I can't enjoy it because of my major shedding challenges this year. I think I will intentionally stay at this length at least until May of 07 while my hair fills back in and thickens up. I'd rather deal with those challenges now than to have to do a big chop for thin straggly ends later. Good luck everybody. I'm all nervous about trying to get to APL. I'm only 5'4 but I do have a long neck and a high napeline so its a pain.

I hope I can be APL by this time next year. I reached SL in April/May, but I've had some setbacks since then :(. I'll be so happy if/when I get to APL. It's been such a long journey already that it seems like APL will take years.

janeemat said:
Angie10 I just browsed your album and you have come a long ways since Jan/Apr. Your hair really looks healthy. Were you natural and just recently relaxed or did you stretch. It looked natural in some of the pics.

RabiaElaine I have been bunning some. I'm not sure if I can do a 100% hide your hair because I'm not into braids, weaves or wigs. It's a drastic change to do the baggie/bun thing. After I do my hair on Sat, I usually wear it down Sunday, Mon, Tues and then bun Wed, Thurs and Friday. I may try to bun from Mon-Fri and shampoo Sat. I feel sure the more I bun the more length I'll be able to retain.

Thank you janeemat, I was stretching from about three to four months. I started relaxing my own hair, so the relaxer didn't take well at first. I'm just now getting the hang of it.:)

Wow, it seemed like it took everyone longer than me to get to APL. I think that it's mainly because I've been extremely dedicated to no heat, low manipulation, and bunning and baggying daily from the beginning of joining hair boards. I trusted LHCF from the very beginning and did everything this board said, no matter how much my family, friends, and SO complained. Now all they say is, "Oh....your hair is getting longer........":look: I must admit, I got discouraged a lot and said I was giving up, but I could never quite let go of my hair care regimen because I had gotten so used to it.

janeemat said:
Ladies, how long did it take you to get from shoulder length to arm pit length. I'm tall, around 5'7" and this looks impossible. My husband laughs when I told him that next year this time my hair would be arm pit length. He did stretch my freshly relaxed hair down my back with a tape measurer and informed me that I needed 4 and 1/2 inches to reach APL. This looks like this would be the biggest hurdle since I've NEVER had hair past my shoulders.

The same thing happened to me too when I told my boyfriend that my next year I'd be grazing APL, he laughed. believe me, he's not gonna laugh when he'll see me reach my goal.
I am happy about this thread because it confirmed my concerns about that difficult step.
I have my hair in braids now and I intend on keepingt hem like that for the whole winter at least.
Beautiful thread.

My hair is a few inches past shoulder length rigth now (about 2 inches past SL). The only way it thickens up and grows longer is through protective styling. The longest I have been is 2 inches past APL and the way I got there was buns, weaves, co-washes, cornrows, basically keeping my hair off of my shoulders. That's what I've also been doing during this transition (20 months today) and also no heat. BTW, I'm 5'7"

I reached armpit during the 9 months I was pregnant. I started with SL hair in August of 05 and I was at APL when I gave birth in May this year. I didnt do anything special but no heat, buns, and keep my ends moist daily.

krissyprissy said:
I reached armpit during the 9 months I was pregnant. I started with SL hair in August of 05 and I was at APL when I gave birth in May this year. I didnt do anything special but no heat, buns, and keep my ends moist daily.

Your hair is beautiful and thick. What texture are you? Are you relaxed bone straight or texlaxed?

I like your idea of creating a frech roll with a banana clip...I'm going to have to steal that idea.

I agree with the way you got ur hair to grow that much...the key is simplicity and you acheived it.

Wishin4BSL said:
Wow, it seemed like it took everyone longer than me to get to APL. I think that it's mainly because I've been extremely dedicated to no heat, low manipulation, and bunning and baggying daily from the beginning of joining hair boards. I trusted LHCF from the very beginning and did everything this board said, no matter how much my family, friends, and SO complained. Now all they say is, "Oh....your hair is getting longer........":look: I must admit, I got discouraged a lot and said I was giving up, but I could never quite let go of my hair care regimen because I had gotten so used to it.

Okay, who is the lady in your avatar? I just visited your fotki and while your hair is beautiful, girl I noticed how silky and pretty your skin looks on your back and shoulders!! What are you doing? Can't be any hard water there. :D

I'm 5'7' so I feel your pain. I thought it was a hurdle to get from chin lenghth to shoulder length but I made it. And we'll make this journey too. I hope to be at a full APL by next summer. I get a relaxer in a few months and I'll be six or seven months post then. So hopefully I'll have gained a few inches. And only need a few to go.

I'm 5'7.5" and just started my hair journey in Oct. My goal is brastrap by Oct 2007 using Cathy Howse (www.ubhpublications.com) method. Check out glamourgirl, she went from shoulder length to midback in 12 months using Cathy Howse!:eek: If she can do it, I can do it!:cool:

RabiaElaine said:
Your hair is beautiful and thick. What texture are you? Are you relaxed bone straight or texlaxed?

I like your idea of creating a frech roll with a banana clip...I'm going to have to steal that idea.

I agree with the way you got ur hair to grow that much...the key is simplicity and you acheived it.

Thank You!! I think my hair is 4a/b and it's thick. My hair is texlaxed because its hard to get straight lately.I prefer bone straight. I use a banana clip for my french rolls because its easier. i like to use pelican clips too.

Krissyprissy,
I too like the idea of using a banana clip to create a French roll. What are the steps involved?:D

i am also 5'7 and it took me 9months..to reach apl.. and that is with 1setback.. i put weave in my hair for 8wks and it damaged my hair...also i trimmed consistently...so if u dont trim.. 5out of 7 days wear your hair up.. u should be good.
(i recommend trmming just a little bit though)
hth

magviv said:
Krissyprissy,
I too like the idea of using a banana clip to create a French roll. What are the steps involved?:D

Welcome to the club Magviv!!! All I do is slick my hair back in to the banana clip, roll the hair, and secure with two large bobby pins.
It's really easy :)

I know this thread is old, but I thought it might be good to bump to encourage everyone to stick to their reggies. I know I need the encouragement, I feel like I've been at SL :ohwell: FFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAAa
YouCanDoIt.jpg

encouragement_photo.jpg

Last edited:
Keep on keeping on. Baby your ends, moisturize and seal, moisture/protein balance, be very gentle and nutrition and exercise will get you there. Be encouraged.

Thanks fa bumping this thread I needed some encouragement cuz it seems like it's taking me forever too.

Back