Where my fine stranded girls at?

tryn2growmyhair said:
If you have fine stranded hair you CAN NOT use heavy products like S-Curl and She Butter on your hair -- esp. when it is when it is wet. I hgave had success using jojoba oil iny my baggie. Just a few drops will do and using a light mixture of castor oil, jojoba, light olive oil and avocado oil on my hair.
Also, I do not leave the ponytail loose. The ponytail is braided and that has helped to give me strength.

Thanks for the tip! I've got it in a bun today, but no baggie.

tryn2growmyhair said:
If you have fine stranded hair you CAN NOT use heavy products like S-Curl and She Butter on your hair -- esp. when it is when it is wet.
Also, I do not leave the ponytail loose. The ponytail is braided and that has helped to give me strength.

Co-signing with the S-Curl and Shea Butter. I also have the best results when using a braid to do buns, air-dry etc. I have not tried the braid with the baggie and a small amount of light oil. I might try it but I am scared of the baggie right now!!!!

Tracy said:
I think these answers are all gonna run the gamut because I can't do some of things some of the other finehaired ladies do or I'd SURELY get breakage....

I can't protective style too consistently or often. It's too much tension and causes breakage.

I can't do without protein at ALL, and too much moisture makes my hair very soft and mushy and it breaks. I have to maintain a perfect balance of protein and moisture or I'm in trouble. Furthermore, I can err on the side of too much protein, but NEVER too much moisture. Too much protein and my hair just gets a little rough and dry - no biggie. Too much moisture and my hair is snapping off at the slightest touch.

I HAVE to comb my hair. All that leaving it to do it's own thing for 3 or 4 days? No dice. It angles and mats when I do that - so I don't do it. I comb my hair in some way shape or form EVERY day. No exceptions.

I wash my hair constantly - every day sometimes and at least 2 or 3 imes a week in slower months. Moreover, there are stints where I use heat twice a week or more, because I find that my hair prefers to be straight at times and seems to grow better (only sometimes tho) when it stays straightened consistently for a month or so. A smooth closed cuticle is sometimes a good thing, I think. It's def. true of me.

I can't trim often or I'd have no hair. I ususally don't need it more than 3 times a year or so. I do trim regularly tho, and I definitely don't hesitate when I need it.

Everything Tracy said is true with my hair also (this is why I follow all of her recommendations :up: ). There is no way I could comb my hair with my fingers or go without combing for even a day. Too much moisture makes my hair feel limp and "gummy" and too much protein makes my hair feel like straw.

My hair is fine too!!! :yep:

My hair used to thrive before the fall of 2003....back when I used to use curling irons almost everyday, blowdried my hair, and had my mom relax my whole hair shaft. I never used any other products.

During the summer of 2003, I took Accutane which caused my hair to shed where you could see my scalp after washing my hair. My hair was so thin, I decided to layer cut it in Oct 2003. It stopped shedding by the end of 2003.
Then I found this forum in Apr 2004. After being amazed by long relaxed hair and then after reading comments, I decided to go natural. I did end up relaxing my hair twice, but now, I'm going ALL THE WAY NATURAL! :woot:

Right now, I'm growing out layered cut. My ends are in bad shape. I think it's from being overprocessed with relaxer and permanent color, and when I used to use curling irons everyday. I havent used curling irons in over a year now! :yay: The last time I used a blowdryer was March 1.

At first, I decided to get on the no trim challenge to gain length. That wasn't working for me and my layered, thin, overprocessed hair. So now, I've decided to trim more often than twice a year. Saturday, I'll use a blowdryer again to straighten my roots so my mom can cut my hair. I'm just gonna get a good 2-3 inches wacked off so I can grow out my hair more healthy.

As far as products and techniques go, I can't have a lotta products in my hair either. I find protective styles can be damaging to my hair sometimes too. Even though the bun protects my ends, it doesn't protect the hair that's exposed. Then when I take the bun down, I have breakage around where the ponytail was.

So I'm still learning what works best for me. So far, it's rollersets and wearing a wig. The bun has been working for me...it's just a pain when you have different lengths of hair and then try to fit it all in a bun. I think I make it too tight but I can't help it. I dont want the shorter pieces to fall down. Oh well.

TAKE CARE ALL YOU FINE STRANDED LADIES!!!! :)

Poohbear said:
At first, I decided to get on the no trim challenge to gain length. That wasn't working for me and my layered, thin, overprocessed hair. So now, I've decided to trim more often than twice a year. Saturday, I'll use a blowdryer again to straighten my roots so my mom can cut my hair. I'm just gonna get a good 2-3 inches wacked off so I can grow out my hair more healthy.

As far as products and techniques go, I can't have a lotta products in my hair either. I find protective styles can be damaging to my hair sometimes too. Even though the bun protects my ends, it doesn't protect the hair that's exposed. Then when I take the bun down, I have breakage around where the ponytail was.

So I'm still learning what works best for me. So far, it's rollersets and wearing a wig. The bun has been working for me...it's just a pain when you have different lengths of hair and then try to fit it all in a bun. I think I make it too tight but I can't help it. I dont want the shorter pieces to fall down. Oh well.

TAKE CARE ALL YOU FINE STRANDED LADIES!!!! :)

As far as trimming and protective styles go, here is what has worked for me:

I always had hairdressers trim my hair after each relaxer because, I suspect, hair looks better when the edges have been evened up and freshly trimmed. However, my hair is thin and no amount of trimming was going to get rid of the gaps in my thin hair. So I just stopped trimming. I protect my ends instead with protective styline.

When I first did protective styling years ago when I first discovered Wanakee's website, I didnt do it correctly. I used combs and pins and other instruments that were not good for my hair. I was also still rollersetting and blowdrying my hair, so it was not growing.

Now the only thing that I use most of the times is a scrunchi and, when I can get away with it, pantyhose cut into rings. I also try to switch around the bun/protective style and I no longer keep my hair in a lose ponytail. It is braided in between each wash. I will only change this if I do a rollerset.

tryn2growmyhair said:
As far as trimming and protective styles go, here is what has worked for me:

I always had hairdressers trim my hair after each relaxer because, I suspect, hair looks better when the edges have been evened up and freshly trimmed. However, my hair is thin and no amount of trimming was going to get rid of the gaps in my thin hair. So I just stopped trimming. I protect my ends instead with protective styline.
Did you ever have split ends?

I just combed my rollersetted hair today and I have splits all over!!!! :eek: I have all these types in the whole back area of my hair that you can see on this site: http://splitends.bebto.com/illustrations.htm
How come I didn't notice this at first??? Oh! I know why. Because of protective styling. Anyway, my hair was breaking off left and right tonite. My bangs and sides are okay since they are shorter than the other lengths of my hair. I've been treating my hair right. I guess that relaxer is eating my hair up.

So that's another reason why I need a cut. I have split ends and protective styles aren't gonna protect me from those!!! :nono:

Jewell said:
GNC Ultra Nourishair
Super B-Complex
Centrum Multivitamin

ok, i got the ultranourish and it made me sooooooo dizzy and lightheaded. the whole night! am i supposed to split up the dosage, or take a flat 2 tablets at once? they're kinda big...

My hair strands are very thin and I can't stand that. My hair breaks and splits very easily. The best things that I can do for my type of hair is to lay off on relaxers and trim my hair more often. Also, I realized that using harsh shampoos really dry my hair out and makes it break. Wearing my hair in tight ponytails kills my hair. Too much manipulation and too many products are also things that my thin hair can't take.

Poohbear said:
Did you ever have split ends?

I just combed my rollersetted hair today and I have splits all over!!!! :eek: I have all these types in the whole back area of my hair that you can see on this site: http://splitends.bebto.com/illustrations.htm
How come I didn't notice this at first??? Oh! I know why. Because of protective styling. Anyway, my hair was breaking off left and right tonite. My bangs and sides are okay since they are shorter than the other lengths of my hair. I've been treating my hair right. I guess that relaxer is eating my hair up.

So that's another reason why I need a cut. I have split ends and protective styles aren't gonna protect me from those!!! :nono:
I stopped getting many splits after I stopped using heat. I have not been near a blow dryer since October! I dont even allow the stylist to use one when I am getting a relaxer. I only use the bonnet dryer. I also have not used my home bonnet dryer, not even on cool setting, since October. My hair is also deep conditioned twice a week and was NEVER out this winter. It was always in a silk-lined hat when I was outside during the winter.

tryn2growmyhair said:
I stopped getting many splits after I stopped using heat. I have not been near a blow dryer since October! I dont even allow the stylist to use one when I am getting a relaxer. I only use the bonnet dryer. I also have not used my home bonnet dryer, not even on cool setting, since October. My hair is also deep conditioned twice a week and was NEVER out this winter. It was always in a silk-lined hat when I was outside during the winter.
I think my splits come from relaxing, coloring, and airdrying. The blowdryer made my hair look nice. Before I ever got my hair colored and before I ever started airdrying, the blowdryer was my friend. My hair grew and didn't break out. It's after I started coloring my hair and the overprocessed relaxed hair started deteriorating is when I started getting splits. I guess everyone's hair is different! That's NEAT! :weird:

How do you fine stranded girls keep your relaxed hair long?

When I texturized with lye, my strands were extra fragile. When my hair was relaxed bone straight with no lye, my strands weren't as weak I think. Are most of you guys using lye or no lye?

megonw said:
Coarse hair is easier to grow long, cuz it's stronger.

I finally get this now. Now, I understand why some people can grow their hair long, nor matter what they do to it(of course, genes play a role too). I have actually been looking closely at peoples hair since I posted this thread, and I noticed that white people and asian/indian people can gro long hair with no problem because their hair shaft is round (which makes the scalp oil penetrate the length of the strand more easily) and their hair strands are thick/coarse. Some of the strands are really wiry and threadlike.

I used to confuse nappy with strong/coarse, but this is not true.

I guess I still need to figure out what's best for me. I think Tracy made a good point that too much moisture can be bad for fine strands (making them mushy). I may cut down on the con washing.

This thread is helping me SOOO much! Thanks for the posts!

classimami713 said:

When I texturized with lye, my strands were extra fragile. When my hair was relaxed bone straight with no lye, my strands weren't as weak I think. Are most of you guys using lye or no lye?
When my hair used to be long (the longest it's been was armpit length), my mom used lye relaxers on my hair too. I always got in relaxed bone straight and my hair was strong too! And the only products I used was relaxer, shampoo, and grease! :grin:
I wish I never permanent colored my hair twice and I wish I knew about relaxing only the new growth back then. :yep: I think this is why my hair is acting the way it is.

classimami713 said:
I guess I still need to figure out what's best for me. I think Tracy made a good point that too much moisture can be bad for fine strands (making them mushy). I may cut down on the con washing.

This thread is helping me SOOO much! Thanks for the posts!

I also agree with Tracy about using too much moisture can be bad for fine strands. Maybe that's why I have had problems for the past few months with mushy hair.
So I have cut back on moisturizing and only use moisturizes while my hair is wet. This is mainly for when I wear my hair down like in a rollerset (whether airdry or hooded dryer). I use just oil every few days to protect my hair.
When I wear a wet bun which airdries, I have to use a moisturizer on my edges and sides because they can dry out from air exposure. See, when I airdry without rollers, I find that I need to use a lot of moisture on my hair. In the end, it makes my hair weaker and more prone to break off. I hope I can one day find a balance with the products I use.

Maybe airdrying isn't totally for me. But I'm still debating whether I should go back to blowdrying my hair or not. I'm still debating because even though blowdrying worked for me in the past, I don't know if it will work for me on overprocessed, damage ends. I want to use it either every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks. I'll just have to see!

I agree! This IS a very helpful thread! Thanks for starting it! :up:

My hair is very fine as well.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the baggie method worked for everyone but me but now I see the reason!

I tried but I cannot wash and bun everyday...my hair stays too moist and breaks

In fact I have learned that protective styles in general are not as productive for my hair as it is for other people.

My hair was longest and healthiest when I wore it down daily and my hair has improved since I gave up trying to force the protective styles thing.

If tried to keep conditioner on overnight one time for a speacial treat and my strands were dissolving in my hands because they had become THAT soft.

I really dislike my fine strands because my hair is also naturally thin. Not as in unhealthy but just not a ton of strands on my head. My ma says its been like that since I was little.

I've been meaning to start B-5 for the past 2 years but its so hard to keep up with vits :(

[/QUOTE]

I really dislike my fine strands because my hair is also naturally thin. Not as in unhealthy but just not a ton of strands on my head. My ma says its been like that since I was little.

I've been meaning to start B-5 for the past 2 years but its so hard to keep up with vits :([/QUOTE]

Hey Real - I totally understand your situation. My hair also feels like there just aren't enough strands on my head! And then the strands are thin so it's like 2 strikes! :perplexed

I also think some folks don't have both thin hair strands and low volume hair. Case in point - Jessy55! Her hair is gorgeous!! She is my hair inspiration!! To me her hair looks like a perfect combination of volume and hair strand size and not thin or fly-away at all.

What to do about thin hair AND low volume ?! I'm still trying to figure it out ... :ohwell:

Poohbear said:
I also agree with Tracy about using too much moisture can be bad for fine strands. Maybe that's why I have had problems for the past few months with mushy hair.
So I have cut back on moisturizing and only use moisturizes while my hair is wet. This is mainly for when I wear my hair down like in a rollerset (whether airdry or hooded dryer). I use just oil every few days to protect my hair.
When I wear a wet bun which airdries, I have to use a moisturizer on my edges and sides because they can dry out from air exposure. See, when I airdry without rollers, I find that I need to use a lot of moisture on my hair. In the end, it makes my hair weaker and more prone to break off. I hope I can one day find a balance with the products I use.

Maybe airdrying isn't totally for me. But I'm still debating whether I should go back to blowdrying my hair or not. I'm still debating because even though blowdrying worked for me in the past, I don't know if it will work for me on overprocessed, damage ends. I want to use it either every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks. I'll just have to see!

I agree! This IS a very helpful thread! Thanks for starting it! :up:
You dont have to go back to the blowdryer Poohbear. :nono: What about rollersetting and going under the dryer? If you are going to use heat, try to use heat that is not directed. If you are going to blow dry, consider asking Cleo how she does it, because she blowdries, I believe.

tryn2 and hari, even though I wouldn't wish it on anybody I am comforted in the fact I am not alone!

People automatically equate thin hair with unhealthy hair and thats not the case at all with some people. Some folks are just not blessed with lush voluminous hair.

But I still want very long hair so I keep on going on my quest. Even if I have to only wear curly styles, then thats just what I will have to do.

I just hope that when I reach my waist length goal people won't be laughing at my hair behind my back like "Why doesn't she cut that ish off!" :ohwell:

Poohbear said:

See I can't put moisturizer on my hair while it's wet. That's a surefire way for my hair to break. No matter what style, I have to let it get almost dry before I can even put my leave in on my hair. Then it has to completely dry before I put moisturizer on it. If I don't, my hair will get mushy and I'll have hair all over the place! Like Tracy, I have to comb my hair every day, which is another reason being natural did not work for me. :(

Lanelle said:
Man, I wanted to make a post that was almost IDENTICAL to yours. I was so frustrated with my hair the other day when I "pressed" it. My hair is FINE & THIN! I HATE IT. For the last year, I have been doing EVERYTHING RIGHT. Moisturizing, protein treatments, deep conditioning, vitamins...I have a nice little routine going and have my fine and thin hair benefited? NO. My hair in it's natural state gives the illusion of being thicker but once its straight it's thin and if there is any length that I've gained it doesn't show much at all :nono:. So now I've thrown in the towel when it comes to growth. I've never had long hair and who was I kidding that one day I would...anyway...even my mother agreed that fine and thin hair will not look right long anyway...{she said it would be stringy looking}. Chemicals cause frizziness and split ends and orangey hair color but now I know about "healthy" practices so I think I will venture back to relaxed hair next year {2006}. I don't think I will have the fragile hair I had back in the day when it was relaxed...unlike you I think the chemicals in my hair made it appear more thicker than the pressed hair I'm now fuming over :(. This thread had me venting over my own hair...I hope you don't mind.
lLanelle if you go back to relaxing use the Lye formula, calcium found in the no lye is more damaging, causeing the hair to dry out.

classimami713 said:

I have never used a no-lye relaxer. When I was little, my mom or grandma used to press my hair. I've had a relaxer since like 7 years old, and my hair has never been shorter than about 3 inches past my shoulders (in 2002 I had to get it cut to that length due to overprocessing). My hair has been past bra-strap and at bra-strap for most of my teenage life. I had been a frequent trimmer since high school (I graduated 3 years ago) (about every 8 weeks or so), stopped using heat about a year and 4 months ago, don't use color with ammonia/peroxide in it, don't use hairspray of any kind, no gel with alcohol in it, and that's basically it.

I have stopped going to salons (no offense, hairmaster or any other stylists), and I just keep my hair moisturized. My mother does my touch-ups. I was an avid scalp oiler/scalp greaser for the majority of my life (when I was little my mother did it for me), but I don't do it much anymore because I don't like to comb my hair/mess in it too much. I comb my hair after CO washes to comb the leave-in products thru, and a comb doesn't touch my hair until the next day's wash. I rarely use a brush-maybe once a week. I think that helped my hair a lot, because we always used Indian Hemp and/or Castor Oil by Allways, Sulfur 8, or Blue Magic. :) When I do decide I want to oil/grease my scalp, I use Wild Growth Hair Oil, or Sulfur 8.

Now all I do is my daily CO washes, afterwards I spray on Infusium 23, apply Profectiv Growth N' Healing to my edges, apply Profectiv Healthy Ends to the ends, apply Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment, and Dabur Vatika Oil last, braid it, pin it up. It stays soft, shiny, and moist like that. I wore my hair down for the first time in a month the other day, and my hair felt so good (usually felt dry shortly after moisturizing when I used to wear it down everyday-now it stays moist all day).

My hair stays that way until nighttime when I undo the braid and reapply the same products except the Infusium 23. That's all I do. No heat has been the biggest help in retaining length by avoiding the need to trim so much. Even when I used to rollerset I found I still had to trim my hair a lot. So, I just air dry in a braid. HTH, and sorry so long!

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of volume with this thin hair. When you say what to do a bout it what do you mean?. I've accepted it as it is and thw fact that I want it long. Let people say what they want. We at least have our curls and coils to give lift. On some other websites their are 1a and 1b fine thinned haired girls going for tailbone and longer lengths. If it is well cared for then you have done your best. Mine also tapers. I laugh when I am finishing a braid with hairs I can count. :) My daughters hair is just as long but thick. She can knock out a braids in moments. My thin hair takes longer to do because i have to be so gental detangling and it takes longer to braid. But this is what I want.

Vintagecoilylocks said:
I don't have a lot of volume with this thin hair. When you say what to do a bout it what do you mean?. I've accepted it as it is and thw fact that I want it long. Let people say what they want. We at least have our curls and coils to give lift. On some other websites their are 1a and 1b fine thinned haired girls going for tailbone and longer lengths. If it is well cared for then you have done your best. Mine also tapers. I laugh when I am finishing a braid with hairs I can count. :) My daughters hair is just as long but thick. She can knock out a braids in moments. My thin hair takes longer to do because i have to be so gental detangling and it takes longer to braid. But this is what I want.

:eek: Vintage you have thin, waist length hair ?!?! That's pretty amazing!! Ok, let me add I have 3 strikes against me - slow (or no) growth, low volume and thin/fine hair strands. :wallbash: I accepted this about my hair a looong time ago but I was hoping that maybe with good care, effort and knowledge, something would change? Hopefully one day ... :ohwell:

ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
I've been meaning to start B-5 for the past 2 years but its so hard to keep up with vits :(

I'm fine haired and I've been taking this for the last couple of months and it really works! My new growth feels much thicker than it normally does.

Fine hair girl here!!!

When I wash my hair sometimes I have to check in the mirror to see that I actually have hair!

This thread saved my hair from a major cut. I have a relaxer appointment this week and I was thinking of cutting just to give the illusion of thickness. The longer it gets the more obvious that the strands are fine.

When I get my hair straight or flat ironed I have to wrap it and comb it constantly-otherwise it tangles.

Too much product or wrap around buns cause my hair strands to stick together-increasing tangles.

I don't have a formula for protein/moisture. I tend to do a protein treatment every other week.

Rollerseet wraps and small sections with flat irons/curling irons also create more volume.

I'm definitely going to try some tips given here.

Yep, Im another fine stranded girl.

It gets frustrating sometimes my hair blows in the wind easily and i just want that volume. But roller sets helps alot, and its healthier too!

harigeek said:
:eek: Vintage you have thin, waist length hair ?!?! That's pretty amazing!! Ok, let me add I have 3 strikes against me - slow (or no) growth, low volume and thin/fine hair strands. :wallbash: I accepted this about my hair a looong time ago but I was hoping that maybe with good care, effort and knowledge, something would change? Hopefully one day ... :ohwell:
I noticed that we are both type 4s, this is one of the hardest types of hair to grow and having fine hair makes it even difficult because the fine nature of our hair makes it more susceptible to snapping. One of the first things for you to do is to not be hard on yourself and don't compare yourself to others. It is much easier for a type 2 or type1 to grow their hair, usually, than a type 3 or definitely a type 4. Patience will help with this.

Back