Where my fine stranded girls at?

tryn2growmyhair said:
Jewell,
you have gorgeous hair. What do you put in your hair after you've washed it. Leave-ins, oils etc. Id love it if you would include the order as well. TIA.

Thank you! After I wash my hair, I apply the following in this order:

CO Washes: 6 Days a Week
*I CO wash with Aussie 3 Min Reconstructor DEEEP w/Tea Tree Oil and alternate on each day w/Nexxus Humectress as the conditioner. I do a hot oil treatment EVERYDAY after I rinse out the conditioner w/Suave Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment.*
1)Spray on Infusium 23 Leave-In for colored/permed/relaxed hair (blue label) allover.
2)Apply Profectiv Growth N' Healing Anti-Thinning Circulation Stimulant to edges.
3)Apply Profectiv Healthy Ends to ends of hair.
4)Smooth on Dabur Vatika Oil allover hair and on roots.
5)Apply Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong Treatment allover hair.

Shampoo Day: Once A Week
1)Shampoo: Nexxus Therappe or Botanoil
2)Protein: Nexxus Keraphix
3)Moisture: Nexxus Humectress
4)Suave Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment
5)Same products as above after towel drying, beginning with Infusium 23, and in the same order. HTH! :)

i also have the same problem my hair is fine and thin...i would love to have nice thick hair but for some reason my sister was able to get the thick hair....i get the same problems where my hair will grow to a certain length and start breaking...i know one thing that i am not doing anymore of is cutting it into short hair do's i would just be happy if i could get it in a layerd style(i heard when you get it layerd(long or short layers) it makes it looks thicker and fuller) and it be shoulder length...im not looking to have hair down past my shoulders but i just would like for my hair to be healthy....

I have fine hair, but i have no problem getting volume and bounce when I need. I think the hair has to be kept strong, moist & protected.

My Routine
* Botanoil poo (has protein, essential oils etc)
* Condition: Protein then deep moisturizing: DRC-28 every 6 weeks, Epitome Reconstructor every week, for moisture: DPR-11, Salerm Wheat Germ Mask, Finesse Moisturizing, Elucence Moisture Balancing.
* airdry partially then add: motionsleave in & mousse (contains silk protein & essential oils) airdry partially then
* scurl + elastaqp recovery + rollerset
* oil it up.

I also take vitamins. I found that protein has really curbed my breakage & pumped up the volume. since you are natural, i wonder if protein is required. I know nothing about caring for natural hair, so this is the best I have to offer.

Last edited:
I think these answers are all gonna run the gamut because I can't do some of things some of the other finehaired ladies do or I'd SURELY get breakage....

I can't protective style too consistently or often. It's too much tension and causes breakage.

I can't do without protein at ALL, and too much moisture makes my hair very soft and mushy and it breaks. I have to maintain a perfect balance of protein and moisture or I'm in trouble. Furthermore, I can err on the side of too much protein, but NEVER too much moisture. Too much protein and my hair just gets a little rough and dry - no biggie. Too much moisture and my hair is snapping off at the slightest touch.

I HAVE to comb my hair. All that leaving it to do it's own thing for 3 or 4 days? No dice. It angles and mats when I do that - so I don't do it. I comb my hair in some way shape or form EVERY day. No exceptions.

I wash my hair constantly - every day sometimes and at least 2 or 3 imes a week in slower months. Moreover, there are stints where I use heat twice a week or more, because I find that my hair prefers to be straight at times and seems to grow better (only sometimes tho) when it stays straightened consistently for a month or so. A smooth closed cuticle is sometimes a good thing, I think. It's def. true of me.

I can't trim often or I'd have no hair. I ususally don't need it more than 3 times a year or so. I do trim regularly tho, and I definitely don't hesitate when I need it.

Very Fine Hair lady here !!!

I know that I will always have very fine hair. But I didnt know of one of the reasons that it was so fine was because of

THINGS I DID AND ALLOWED OTHERS TO DO TO MY HAIR

My hair is now retaining body, and it MOVES !!!

I contribute to the following-
No more hardcore protein (THE TEARS OF BREAKAGE)
No more hardcore moisture ie scurl and baggie breaks my hair
No direct heat (Gave away 200 degree tongs and staightners)
Protective sytles occasional, it not at the length where its rubbing on my clothes yet
Dry with Hood Dryer with rollers (God bless those all of you that can airdry !!, my hair comes out puffy, tangled====Leads to breakage from manipulation
Washing/deep con twice a week, using a light protein every few weeks
MY vitamin regime
My moisturizer loads on when drying, but on dry hair less is more for me

This is the first time I can remember that that my hair isnt BREAKING!!!

Last edited:
I totally agree with you kizzy. Hard core protein breaks my hair, scurl makes my hair stringy and with the baggie method, i had the highest amount of broken hair strands

kizzylonghair said:
Very Fine Hair lady here !!!

I know that I will always have very fine hair. But I didnt know of one of the reasons that it was so fine was because of

THINGS I DID AND ALLOWED OTHERS TO DO TO MY HAIR

My hair is now retaining body, and it MOVES !!!

I contribute to the following-
No more hardcore protein (THE TEARS OF BREAKAGE)
No more hardcore moisture ie scurl and baggie breaks my hair
No direct heat (Gave away 200 degree tongs and staightners)
Protective sytles occasional, it not at the length where its rubbing on my clothes yet
Dry with Hood Dryer with rollers (God bless those all of you that can airdry !!, my hair comes out puffy, tangled====Leads to breakage from manipulation
Washing/deep con twice a week, using a light protein every few weeks
MY vitamin regime
My moisturizer loads on when drying, but on dry hair less is more for me

This is the first time I can remember that that my hair isnt BREAKING!!!

Dolapo said:
I totally agree with you kizzy. Hard core protein breaks my hair, scurl makes my hair stringy and with the baggie method, i had the highest amount of broken hair strands

Hi Dolapo,

I really thought that baggie/scurl method would be best thing as well
BOY WAS I WRONG, As we are doing my using this board, Live and learn see what works and what doesnt.

I got so frustrated when I heard for most the baggie trick was da bomb :(

Did I read one of threads right up in here you sounded a little discouraged !!!

Another fine-haired member.

What works for me is daily Cond. washes and using Main and Tale as a leave in (my hair loves it). I hardly see any breakage now. Before starting this regime, my ends in the crown area were always dry and brittle. The back would retain length like a champ, but the front was dry and brittle. The cond. washes changed that. I also figured out that S-Curl and braided extensions didn't work for my hair. I saw less breakage when stopped S-curling and braiding.

Oh I forgot to mention, my hair rebels against shampooing. Nothing will dry my hair out faster than shampooing. I absolutely have to dilute it with water before using it.

Where do I start!! I'm another fine-haired natural checking in!!! I too have FINALLY accepted that my hair is not going to be full and strong. Also I have been unable to see length with my hair. Now, I'm not saying retain because I'm really not breaking that much. I just feel like my hair growth rate is almost non-existent.

Advice ? I'm looking for some my self but I must say that taking care of my hair has helped to make it feel and look bigger:

1. I deep condition once a week with UBH conditioner
2. I moisturize with coconut oil and UBH moisturiser. The moisturiser I think has too much water and I think makes my hair more mushy and more likely to break.
3. I massage my scalp often using peppermint oil. My hair is always wrapped with a scarf so the heat is helping the oil absorption. I think water is not a good environment for my scarf cos I'm sure there's some condensation already there because of my body heat.
4. I try to take my Biotin, when I remember.
5. I also try to take my protein - currently Whey Protein mix with about 8oz of milk.

I hope something I wrote helps. But I feel your pain. I honestly feel like I'm missing about on what most blacks take for granted - big, full hair ! I mean, blacks are the face of the afro and that's not a style for thin, small haired folks!

Good luck and happy growing!

Here I am.

I have managed to grow and retain about 4 or 5 inches since last year. Moisture and not manipulating it a lot has helped me.

ok my fellow thin heads.... what vitamins/products have helped thicken up your hair and get it in healthy condition? my hair's so damn fragile!

hOnii said:
ok my fellow thin heads.... what vitamins/products have helped thicken up your hair and get it in healthy condition? my hair's so damn fragile!

GNC Ultra Nourishair
Super B-Complex
Centrum Multivitamin

Jewell said:
GNC Ultra Nourishair
Super B-Complex
Centrum Multivitamin

thanks! i had those first two on my list. i'll be sure to pick them up! i've never heard anything about centrum.. hm maybe i'll try it out too. the ingredients look good.

Tracy said:
I think these answers are all gonna run the gamut because I can't do some of things some of the other finehaired ladies do or I'd SURELY get breakage....

I can't protective style too consistently or often. It's too much tension and causes breakage.

I can't do without protein at ALL, and too much moisture makes my hair very soft and mushy and it breaks. I have to maintain a perfect balance of protein and moisture or I'm in trouble. Furthermore, I can err on the side of too much protein, but NEVER too much moisture. Too much protein and my hair just gets a little rough and dry - no biggie. Too much moisture and my hair is snapping off at the slightest touch.

I HAVE to comb my hair. All that leaving it to do it's own thing for 3 or 4 days? No dice. It angles and mats when I do that - so I don't do it. I comb my hair in some way shape or form EVERY day. No exceptions.

I can't trim often or I'd have no hair. I ususally don't need it more than 3 times a year or so. I do trim regularly tho, and I definitely don't hesitate when I need it.

Tracy, your hair sounds EXACTLY like mine. I have to maintain the exact amounts of protein and moisture even though my hair is natural {yours is texturized I think?}. I tried the baggie method once for 3 days and once I took it off and washed my hair-it felt shorter. Braids don't really grow my hair no matter how long I keep them in and make sure to care for them while they are in {yes they have caused breakage because of the type of hair I have}...I tried sleeping in a plastic cap a week at a time and had to stop because it was too moisturized. However, I haven't had protein overload just yet. I don't trim much because my hair will be even shorter and even thinner. If I don't comb it will surely break.

Tracy said:

I wash my hair constantly - every day sometimes and at least 2 or 3 imes a week in slower months. Moreover, there are stints where I use heat twice a week or more, because I find that my hair prefers to be straight at times and seems to grow better (only sometimes tho) when it stays straightened consistently for a month or so. A smooth closed cuticle is sometimes a good thing, I think. It's def. true of me.

Hi Tracy. Did you say a while back that ever since you permanently colored your hair it needed more protein? Do you find that your hair needed more protein before or after the coloring?

Dolapo said:
My hair NEVER liked Scurl either

How did I miss this thread? Another Fine haired lady checking in....

I have resolved that I will never have thick long hair. I am 7 mos into transitioning so I expect some breakage and shedding but just a little shedding is a lot for me because my hair is fine and thin. I have noticed my hair has the appearance of being thicker when I leave the flat iron/hot comb alone. I have found that blow drying is better for me but not in excess:
I wash my hair 2X a week and one of the washes I blow dry and the other, I air dry in braids. I have found that too much product on my hair when dry will break it off and the baggie method like to have killed my hair!!!

Sharee please tell me what happened to your hair from using the baggie method. I thought about trying it(another fine hair) and decided that my ends were doing fine and if it ain't broke it could break. Bonjour

This has to be the challenging of hair types to grow long and strong and thick. What has not worked for me: S curl, too much moisture (as in kjeeping it moist all the time...I found that my hair became stiff and unmanageable and very untouchable looking. No movement. Further, it looked plastered against my scalp. And forget grease, heavy oils etc. Just frustrated me.What I decided wqs to prescribe a treatment that would give me what I wanted because I have very fine stranded hair (as in baby fine) But people assume by looking at it that it is really thick. So I probably have a lot of strands of very baby fine hair, lol. I wanted thick hair, with smooth ends, less porosity, no breakage at all, bouncy and behaving hair, and no bad hair days!!!!!No greasy hair, no tangles, no knots and no trimming.
1. I use henna conditioning to strengthen. 2 Eqyss Avocado Mist as a leave in. Infusium 21 Original after conditioning with homemade Cathy Howse conditioner heavy on the peppermint and camphor and for the protein I use
Straight Arrow Hoofmaker in the mix, along with Paul Bragg's Liquid Aminos, honey, cinnamon, aloe vera gel,asefoetida powder, castor oil, avocado oil.....A real all around heavy duty conditioner that includes a lot of moisturizers. I use this at least once a week. I do other things, but to make a long story short, I have to balance the moisture, protein and the acids so I do a coconut lime mixture to which I add MSM to insure that my hair strands get the sulphur that smooths the cuticles right down to prevent frayed ends and strands, and keep it looking really shiny.
2. It is very shiny, and healthy looking and I get a lot of comments on it. By the way it is starting to grow again so I guess it was just in a resting phase.
I wear it wrapped in some form for three days, but at night I spray it with distilled water to which I have added a dash of rose water and occasionally with Avocado Mist.
3. I only comb it when I am preparing to wash it, and to detangle before sectioning and wrapping and I have stopped using the brush all together, I use a silk or satin scarf and that smooths the edges. Just doing this hasallowed my hair to thicken considerably. I air dry and cover with a mesh scarf to dry. Cover with to sleep. Use homemade wild growth on the ends once a week. I add pure virgin coconut oil from the Islands just before I section to do a comb out and section prior to wrapping. Hope this helps someone, because my hair has never been this healthy. What I am amazed about the most is that my strands are appearing thicker and thicker. special tips...I take down the wrap only after the 2 days of being sprayed while wrapped and believe me my strands are pumped. I make sure it is absolutely dry before I take the wrap down. I leave it uncovered for a day first to make sure. Then I add the WGO. My hair does not thin out toward the ends, and I make sure to switch the wrap style each time to avoid thinning. Hope this helps. Bonjour
4. I take MSM, I split a 1/2teaspoon daily to avoid feeling sick from the detoxifying, 2 Hair Skin and Nails (FutureBiotics) and Puritan Biotin 500 (ever second day) to avoid the Biotin breakouts.

I have fine hair and I've found that taking 500mgs of Pantothenic acid (B-5) twice a day has helped to thicken it up a bit. I remember Tracy posting a while back that she was taking this and it really worked for her so I decided to give it a try and it does work. I take the Twinlab brand.

Mahalialee4 said:
This has to be the challenging of hair types to grow long and strong and thick. What has not worked for me: S curl, too much moisture (as in kjeeping it moist all the time...I found that my hair became stiff and unmanageable and very untouchable looking. No movement. Further, it looked plastered against my scalp. And forget grease, heavy oils etc. Just frustrated me.What I decided wqs to prescribe a treatment that would give me what I wanted because I have very fine stranded hair (as in baby fine) But people assume by looking at it that it is really thick. So I probably have a lot of strands of very baby fine hair, lol. I wanted thick hair, with smooth ends, less porosity, no breakage at all, bouncy and behaving hair, and no bad hair days!!!!!No greasy hair, no tangles, no knots and no trimming.
1. I use henna conditioning to strengthen. 2 Eqyss Avocado Mist as a leave in. Infusium 21 Original after conditioning with homemade Cathy Howse conditioner heavy on the peppermint and camphor and for the protein I use
Straight Arrow Hoofmaker in the mix, along with Paul Bragg's Liquid Aminos,honey, cinnamon, aloe vera gel,asefoetida powder, castor oil, avocado oil
.....A real all around heavy duty conditioner that includes a lot of moisturizers. I use this at least once a week. I do other things, but to make a long story short, I have to balance the moisture, protein and the acids so I do a coconut lime mixture to which I add MSMto insure that my hair strands get the sulphur that smooths the cuticles right down to prevent frayed ends and strands, and keep it looking really shiny.
2. It is very shiny, and healthy looking and I get a lot of comments on it. By the way it is starting to grow again so I guess it was just in a resting phase.
I wear it wrapped in some form for three days, but at night I spray it with distilled water to which I have added a dash of rose water and occasionally with Avocado Mist.
3. I only comb it when I am preparing to wash it, and to detangle before sectioning and wrapping and I have stopped using the brush all together, I use a silk or satin scarf and that smooths the edges. Just doing this hasallowed my hair to thicken considerably. I air dry and cover with a mesh scarf to dry. Cover with to sleep. Use homemade wild growth on the ends once a week. I add pure virgin coconut oil from the Islands just before I section to do a comb out and section prior to wrapping. Hope this helps someone, because my hair has never been this healthy. What I am amazed about the most is that my strands are appearing thicker and thicker. special tips...I take down the wrap only after the 2 days of being sprayed while wrapped and believe me my strands are pumped. I make sure it is absolutely dry before I take the wrap down. I leave it uncovered for a day first to make sure. Then I add the WGO. My hair does not thin out toward the ends, and I make sure to switch the wrap style each time to avoid thinning. Hope this helps. Bonjour
4. I take MSM, I split a 1/2teaspoon daily to avoid feeling sick from the detoxifying, 2 Hair Skin and Nails (FutureBiotics) and Puritan Biotin 500 (ever second day) to avoid the Biotin breakouts.

Thanks for all of these tips. Could you please tell us the exact ingredients and amounts that you use in these products?

Also, is it ok if I put MSM in my homemade Cathy Howse conditioner recipe or should I put it in the Kenra MC that I use afterwards? Also, I am scared to use the Paul Bragg's amino acids in my Cathy Howse recipe because I am scared of the salt.

About my CH Cond. Recip: I use Mane N Tail usually and now have a mix with AO GPB until I get rid of it because I am not impressed with AO GPB -- I will then use Motions CPR so that I can finish that up. I have the liquid motions CPR not the one in the round container that is thicker. Is this ok?

I am interested in finding out what you use for the homemade WGO.

I use Nature Made Super-B complex, and Nature Made Women's multivitamin and MSM.

I have found that avoiding salon services -- esp. Dominican Salons -- has helped to grow my hair. :yep:

I only go to salons for relaxers and would do it myself if I could.

Also, if they relax your hair with Affirm, make sure they use ALL THE STEPS! So many salons try to skimp on this to save money.

Finally, I wash my hair two times a week, but I have recently just been putting my hair in a braid and just leave that braid in until the next wash and try to minimize manipulation.

Mahalialee4 said:
Sharee please tell me what happened to your hair from using the baggie method. I thought about trying it(another fine hair) and decided that my ends were doing fine and if it ain't broke it could break. Bonjour

Hi Mahalialee4 :wave:

I found that the baggie method kept my hair too moist! When it was time to take the baggie off. My hair would break to the touch! I tried the baggie method with both wet hair and dry hair and it didn't matter. No matter what products I tried (s-curl, vaseline, mango butter etc) it would still break off when it was time for the baggie to come off.

I have found Tracy's advice to be the most beneficial advice I have followed to date. My hair can not have too much product on it or it breaks and sheds to the touch.

Thanks Sharee!
Tryn2growmyhair: I do not measure anything. I just put in what I feel to. The key for me is I am thinking BALANCE. So, to the degree of protein in it, I try to add the same degree of moisture...and the same degree of fatty acids. Hope this makes sense. Or one part protein, one part moisture and one part fatty acids.When I put it on my hair, it is smooth and absorbs right into the shaft and does not leave a white residue of any kind. I spray with distilled water before I add the plastic bag and heating cap if I want an intense steamer effect. When I rinse it out, it rinses clean, not sticky or oily, just clean.
As for the homemade WGO. I mix Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, liquid lanolin, lecithin, flax oil, Emu Oil, Calcium and Magnesium liquid, castor oil, coconut oil, iron (baby iron drops) and I do not measure it. Just have a feel for it. The main part is the olive oil and equal amount of jojoba oil to cut the greasiness and everything else is just a little dab of this and that. I go by the feel or consistency and that the oil does not feel greasy at all and I can use as little as the size of my little fingernail to do my whole head. Sectioning in large sections I just smooth it down the shaft. Hope this helps.

Oh as far as the Cathy Howse homemade conditioner...I already gave the ingredients. I may change up a bit as it gets used up and I just start adding in ingredients all over again as I do not ever get totally to the bottom of the container to make a new batch. The oils I throw in are coconut from the Islands, Homemade Black Castor Oil (Okra Recipes thread) Avocado Oil, Mustard Oil,...I use real cinnamon....about three tablespoons of MSM...Biotin Powder, just go with it, is what I do....
By the way the hair does have a salt and a sugar bond in the strands so I do not worry about the Braggs. But you have to do what works for you...You decide what you want to use and what your hair needs.... that is the best to do, in my opinion. Hope this helps. Bonjour.

sharee said:
Hi Mahalialee4 :wave:

I found that the baggie method kept my hair too moist! When it was time to take the baggie off. My hair would break to the touch! I tried the baggie method with both wet hair and dry hair and it didn't matter. No matter what products I tried (s-curl, vaseline, mango butter etc) it would still break off when it was time for the baggie to come off.

I have found Tracy's advice to be the most beneficial advice I have followed to date. My hair can not have too much product on it or it breaks and sheds to the touch.

I think this is what's happening with me! :eek: I thought it was just me, but it could be the baggie. If I continue with it, I'll try using less product in the baggie.

CandiceC said:
I think this is what's happening with me! :eek: I thought it was just me, but it could be the baggie. If I continue with it, I'll try using less product in the baggie.
If you have fine stranded hair you CAN NOT use heavy products like S-Curl and She Butter on your hair -- esp. when it is when it is wet. I hgave had success using jojoba oil iny my baggie. Just a few drops will do and using a light mixture of castor oil, jojoba, light olive oil and avocado oil on my hair.
Also, I do not leave the ponytail loose. The ponytail is braided and that has helped to give me strength.

i never tried the baggie method. Too involved. I make a braided bun by braiding all my hair into 1 braid, coiling it into a donut against the back of my head (ends tucked under), and pinning the donut down with 2 black Good Hair Day pins.

I'm too heavy handed with my leave in (Rusk Smoother). Next rollerset I'll mix it into water and just spray it on each section instead of dabbing/smearing a glob on each section of hair before I comb it onto the roller.

Back