When The Woman Makes Significantly More Than The Man And Wants To Keep Finances Separate

What I'm really thinking is probably offensive so I'll just say it sounds like she doesnt really want to be married to him and he should find a nice girl who makes a little less than he does and marry and join accounts with her.
Well, she just bought him a Rolex that he'd been admiring(and he admits he would never spend that much on a watch), so she doesn't mind spending money on her man. She's a keeper. :look:

Well, she just bought him a Rolex that he'd been admiring(and he admits he would never spend that much on a watch), so she doesn't mind spending money on her man. She's a keeper. :look:

Hmm. I wasn't going to say anything. But this says a lot. I'm going to just let it sit here.

What I'm really thinking is probably offensive so I'll just say it sounds like she doesnt really want to be married to him and he should find a nice girl who makes a little less than he does and marry and join accounts with her.

Right. But men always shoot for the moon. Dajuan with the swing signs for tax companies part time job wants a Michelle Obama and thinks he should have that. Lol.

She's an idiot. Things will only get worse.

He is satisfied working 35 hours and earning 45k. If he is satisfied with his position, she can't motivate the man. He likes his 45k and she is supplementing his income. No wonder he wants joint accounts.

Baby girl needs to stop fooling herself. Does she want to just be married or does she want to marry him? She is setting both of them up for failure. He will never measure up and she will resent him for not measuring up.

They need to have a real heart to heart talk about the future and her expectations. If there's no chance of advancement at his current job then she already knows his limitations. They need to downsize and try living off what he makes before moving forward with marriage. Even if they find a way to make that work, odds are he'll resent that all the extra money is going into her bank account and she'll resent that she isn't living the way she would if he was making more money.

I feel like she's setting herself up to pay alimony and this bill pay situation he's negotiating now will be Exhibit A in divorce court.

I watched the Suze Orman show when it was on and this kind of issue came up a lot. Below is what she always suggested.

Partner #1 makes $7k/month.
Partner #2 makes $3k/month.
Household expenses total $3k/month.

In the case above, Suze would suggest that the bills be split 70/30, rather than 50/50. This way, each partner/spouse is responsible for an equal percentage of the bills rather than an equal dollar amount. They don’t earn equal dollar amounts, so they shouldn’t pay equal dollar amounts.

After all, paying $1,500 worth of bills (a 50/50 split) drains the $3k earner a lot more, percentage-wise, than it does the $7k earner.

suzesplit.gif

However, she needs seriously evaluate his earning potential and decide if this is something that she can live with....cause I could not.
My dad and his wife was like this... dad made max of 45-50K and step mom is a broker...150K+
What they did was buy what he could afford.
Meaning they brought their second house before the Olympics inATL for 100k now the 5 bedroom house is worth 3 times the value. Their household expenses are split 50/50.
It has worked for them.35 years plus of marriage

They had the same income when they entered the marriage.

Last edited:
How did this relationship even start? I keep trying to picture it. Were they closer in finances at one point then she left him in the dust career-wise? Does he have a medical issue? I'm trying to make it make sense. :lol:

Even if she was making 95k to his 80k it wouldn't be as drastic.

I don't understand. :sad:
Why even pretend that you don't want to give him access to all your money, then splurge on something like a 80k piece of jewelry...when he works in a jewelry store?

How did this relationship even start? I keep trying to picture it. Were they closer in finances at one point then she left him in the dust career-wise? Does he have a medical issue? I'm trying to make it make sense. :lol:

Even if she was making 95k to his 80k it wouldn't be as drastic.

I've seen it a million times....they met in a mall, club, gas station and she found out what he did and said... it didn't matter. She failed to do the math until right at this point.....a few years in, engaged and/or living together and a few cases few years into the marriage she realized the vast disparity in income or better yet work ethic is a problem.

I was going to ask if she is at an age where she feels she has to settle or else she won't be married in child bearing years or something she is settling. Honey, anytime you have to explain to your not-even-husband-yet WHY you shouldn't be penalized for making more, as he is trying to haggle bills with you, then he is not the one.

The fact that he is approaching her with this attitude instead of trying to achieve a higher potential OR AT LEAST WORK OVERTIME AT THE JEWELRY STORE TO BE ABLE TO PAY A NON-SHAMEFUL amount of the bills is gross. I do not like to join trains of thought that say blue collar workers are inferior or this type or that type of person is inferior because I think what a person is made of is what's important (though, that doesn't mean you can date or marry everybody. There is a huge gap between dating somebody and finding them inferior) but a man who thinks like this man does not seem to be made of much.

OP, is it him or her asking this question on the other board?

Oh well disregard my original post. She needs to just deal with it, since she likes giving him money. Maybe when she has kids he can work part time and watch the kids. She could save a ton on childcare doing that. Is he degreed? He could home school the kids too.

He must sign a prenup

He must sign a prenup

I would match whatever income he has, if he only makes $45 then I would match that with my salary and the rest will go into a savings. But bills would be split in half, each have a persona account and one household account.

I've seen it a million times....they met in a mall, club, gas station and she found out what he did and said... it didn't matter. She failed to do the math until right at this point.....a few years in, engaged and/or living together and a few cases few years into the marriage she realized the vast disparity in income or better yet work ethic is a problem.

But but but ... can't you SEE what he makes to a certain extent? Even in normal conversation, you're talking about vacationing in Belize and he wants to eat barbecue in Kansas City. Something, lol.

But but but ... can't you SEE what he makes to a certain extent? Even in normal conversation, you're talking about vacationing in Belize and he wants to eat barbecue in Kansas City. Something, lol.

But I want to vacation in Belize AND go bbq in Kansas city and that dude is no where near my money. :drunk: 45k to 90k is a big difference only when you all talk bills, expense divisions, etc.

Someone making 45k with minimal expenses can eat out or even go on a vacation with someone making 90k with higher living expenses and student loans. I seriously think when you're dating, having fun and then get comfortable doing more netflix and chill, it just wasn't obvious to her or not seem like a big deal til he said......well you make more so you should pay more of the bills.

Then she was like Bih whet?

I couldn't do it as a Taurean, but I see how that can happens...especially when you just want to be boo'ed up, then married, he's probably attractive and charming and bam.....Got Eem!

Back