Votes: 255 21.0%
  • Tailbone

Votes: 75 6.2%
  • Classic

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Longer than Classic

Votes: 12 1.0%

• Total voters
Welcome to the board and congrats on transitioning. I am also transitioning. You should do a search to get knowledge and support.
It's about finding what's best for your hair (whether that's relaxed or natural)!
Thanks for the warm welcome. It feels so good to speak to other women who are also transitioning. I find that wigs or weaves are best for my hair because its braided up underneath and very well greased. when my own hair is exposed the perm monster comes out of me lol. But at any rate I am so excited on this new journey toward healthier hair. My mother is a hairstylist and over the years she has warned me about perms, obviously I didn't listen *pouting*. Girl hold my hand and walk me thru this lol. I never thought it would be possible. Happy growing! *smiling as I skip away* lol

I am dreaming of midback length hair. I think seeing a sista (especially a dark skinned sista) with (real) hair down her back is like the sexiest :drool: thing since Janet Jacksons abs! So that's my goal. :yep:

Between APL & BSL all one length. My hair has been very long in my life time and very short, too :lol: . I found this length looks best on me and is much easier to maintain. It's also very versatile, which is important. However, my hair never been all one length (the front has always been shorter), so that is a new thing for me and a personal challenge I find quite fun.

I totally agree with you! This is me too.:yep:

I chose midback because of my height and proportions. I think at 5' 2" I would be overpowered by waistlength hair. But I am also short-waisted, so bra-strap length is too short and only an two inches or so shorter than midback would be on me.

In 06 I said mid-back. my longest layer is there. now I want waist-length. changed my mind because I always wear my hair curly/wavy so waistlength would look mid-back.

I'll be done and plan to maintain MBL. This is after taking in to consideration my height and body type, not to mention BSL already gets on my nerves and in my salsa :look: so anything more just isn't for me.

BSL-I never had hair past my neck b4. I personally think that BSL is very sexy and shoot if I can make it to MBL that'll be even better. I think my hubby will love that..he's a long hair fanatic and if he's happy I'm happier!

APL. my hair right now is only just over chin the the front and about collar bone in the back. however, my hair is natural and thick so it looks big already. i've only got up to shoulder length before when i was relaxed (i can't remember if i had longer hair as a child) and would like to go further than that. i think as my hair is so thick/dense, it would be hard to manage anything more than apl length.

apl and over is what i consider long; i could do twists or cornrows on my own hair and it would be a nice length. plus, if i decide to straighten i think it would look a nice length; i could do updos, buns, have nice pony tails etc.

i have 6-6.5 inches to go in the back and about 9-9.5 in the front. i think it will take me about 2 years to reach my goal.

Last edited:
im 2 years post relaxer transisitioning to natural know, and my ultimate goal is waistlength anything further than that is a bonus, but i dont think i wont to sit on my hair so I would cut it between my waist and hip:grin:

My dream hair goal is between BSL and Waist Length. No more no less.

Why?: I love to wear my braids that long when I get extensions. I love the way it looks on me and I get so many compliments with that length.

I used to only want to make it to waist length, now I actually think I could make it to tailbone. The most important thing to me though is healthy/happy hair:yep:.

I would like to know if my hair will get past shoulder length. It seems to reach this length and then stop. So, basically as long as I can grow it, whatever that length is.

My goal changes with every length I hit.
First it was BSL, then Midback, then WL. Now I'm shooting for HL, but really I'm gonna let it grow as long as it can!!

My all time goal is WSL. But if my hair keeps growing after that I won't stop it. The only reason I am hesitant that I will stay at WSL because the longer my hair gets the thinner it gets. I can really see my hair being long and thin which I don't want.

But I am gonna let it grow as long as it wants without cutting it (if it doesn't look all scraggly).

Why? Because in this case the floor is the limit :lol: and I think WSL hair is soooo sexy!
:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

I picked Midback, because back when I was a freshmen in high school my hair was apl and it was not hard for me to get it there. But now that I am trying to get to full bra strap and then Mid back it is soo hard to me, but I pushing hard to get there.

I want twists that hang around apl. Considering that's around 10" from my nape and I can regularly coax 50% of my stretched length out of twists, that means around 20" from my nape. That's around WL. :ohwell: Now that I typed that out loud (?) that sounds like too much. Well, I'll take as long as I can get it w/o it becoming a terrible tangling burden.

I want tailbone, because I never had it and it sounds good to say my hair is to my butt. lol and not too many black women have it so its motivation to show others that we can have hair to our butts..

CLASSIC baby! I haven't had it past MBL since I was a little girl. So it will be quite the challenge for me. But I am focused and determined! I can't wait to have twists that reach my tailbone. MMMM I can just feeeeel it.

Last edited:
I chose APL. I've never been beyond shoulder length before, and I'm just a tad bit too nervous of anything longer. I sure hope I can still give my hair its best care once I reach my goal length. If I can, then maybe I'll shoot for BSL:yep:

I picked WL because I love long beautiful highly textured hair plus WL will look like MBL or BSL with all these kinks and curls. But if it isn't too much hassle (I currently don't have any problems detangling and I am hoping it will stay that way) then I won't ever cut it again!

Back