• I can't seem to keep the hair I grow

Votes: 326 64.4%
  • My hair grows super slow

Votes: 74 14.6%
  • BOTH

Votes: 106 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RETENTION! Goodness it drives me up the wall. I'm finally retaining length in the back and I've made bsl, but the front just continues to snap off no matter what i do:wallbash: At this point, if i can get the front of my hair to be the same length as the back I'll be a very happy woman, forget MBL....

I think it because I applied the grease on my scalp with mineral oil, linaolin, and petrolatum, It caused my hair to grow really slow it clogged the pores. So I stopped.:nono:

Purely for my own curiosity,
I wanted to know what women really think on this issue.

If you're stuck or have ever been stuck at a
particular length... what do you REALLY think your problem is?

Retention: I can't seem to keep the hair I grow (via breakage, excessive trimming, manipulation, heat, hair ends rubbing against clothes etc...).

Growth: My hair grows super slow.

I voted "both". Unfortunately I have been stuck around full BSL for a WHILE now...on top of that, my hair grows slow, too.

I figured out months ago that part of it may be due to breakage becuz I had been noticing very small pieces of hair that I didn't notice before. But I am STILL unsure of what is causing it because I haven't really changed much in my regimen.

One product I stopped using that seemed to work well on my hair was ORS replenishing pack, so I just started back using that in the hopes that it is the "magic cure" to my problem....wish me luck LOL!

I think both are an issue for me. :ohwell: My hair grows normally until it gets to the tops of my shoulders (it has NEVER grown too far past that point, even when I was natural. :perplexed). Then there's the breakage...

That sounds like a classic retention problem to me. NOT a growth problem. I.e. once your hair starts rubbing against your shoulders, it starts breaking off.

You didn't say anything that indicated that you have a slow growth rate.

I voted "both". Unfortunately I have been stuck around full BSL for a WHILE now...on top of that, my hair grows slow, too.

I figured out months ago that part of it may be due to breakage becuz I had been noticing very small pieces of hair that I didn't notice before. But I am STILL unsure of what is causing it because I haven't really changed much in my regimen.

One product I stopped using that seemed to work well on my hair was ORS replenishing pack, so I just started back using that in the hopes that it is the "magic cure" to my problem....wish me luck LOL!
this is my problem. i don't know what to do so i am cutting out the flat ironing for a month and trying to figure out the moisture/protein thing, which apparently is different for my natural and relaxed textures. my curls feel great...the ends are all over the front of my shirt.

Retention. I had underestimated the growth I had till I lost it. I got really lazy with the moisturizing and now I have to make up for lost hair.

this is my problem. i don't know what to do so i am cutting out the flat ironing for a month and trying to figure out the moisture/protein thing, which apparently is different for my natural and relaxed textures. my curls feel great...the ends are all over the front of my shirt.

Well here's to wishing both you and all of the rest of us having issues good luck in finding out what's wrong!...:look:

Definitely retention. My hair grows at a fairly decent pace. its extremely dry and will snap off very easily.

I have no problem getting the hair to grow, keeping it is my problem. I'm such a product junkie, I think alot of times I sabotage my hair. Not intentionally of course.

Neither now!
I have FINALLY learned the moisture/protien balance and now I am back on my way to APL again! This time it's going to a keeper.

Sadly, retention :sad:

I got shoulder length hair and whenever i go past SL and star to feel good i'm told i need a trim which brings me right back to where i was before :ohwell:

I think i wanna learn how to do most things by myself so i can improve this. when to wash, deep condition etc...i got introduced to this site this week and decided to sign up. i'll see what i can learn and if my dream of BSL is possible :grin:

My hair grows very well but retention is the problem. If I don't baby my ends consistently, handle my hair with TLC and/or if I comb a lot, I can kiss my progress goodbye. Consistency is the key:yep:

My hair grows to shoulder length really quickly, then tends to slow WAAAAAAAAAAAAY, so growth is the big problem for me. I only have retention problems if I wear my hair out to often (I get tangles).

i think my issue is growth. i stopped trimming needlessly and protective styled but my hair didn't grow that much. i have been between sl and apl for a while and i've seen little progress over the months.

I have neither... now that I don't relax my hair its growing like crazy and I'm retaining length. My problem is PATIENCE. I'm just tired of waiting for it to be long. I want it down to my toes NOW :perplexed

Definately retention. After I hacked all my hair off I just couldnt' seem to get my hair longer that touching my shoulder before it would start breaking. Since I've joined LHCF about 5 or so weeks ago..my hair is past that mark. I learned so much to help me retain the hair I grew and grow past the shoulder mark. What was most effective for me was: the proper way to relax my hair including starting relaxer in a new area, leaving the neutralizer on my hair for 5minutes before washing it out, using a reconstructor when I give myself a perm, no direct heat, oh and the biggest hair care tip of them all PROTECTIVE STYLES. What a difference it has made in hair retention.:cup:

:sad: Growth..... Hopefully since I "came out the closet" and started to wear MY hair it will grow like weeds :yep:

i think my issue is growth. i stopped trimming needlessly and protective styled but my hair didn't grow that much. i have been between sl and apl for a while and i've seen little progress over the months.

Me too. I have been stuck at this length for over a year. Granted, I did get two trims this pass year, so obviously that was the culprit. I'm really gonna do my best to stay in twists this first 6 months of the year to see what will become of my hair length. I've been bunning like crazy too since I realized I could get my hair in a bun. We will see.

Last edited:
My hair grows slow 3 1/2-4 inches/ year. Plus its really dry all the time so retention is an ISSUE! *sniffle sniffle*

my issues has always been retention and it is my own fault
my hair grows very well but once i get past shoulder i act like i'm crazy
LOL
i don't moisturize, i leave it out for no reason
but i am ready to put those habits to bed.
my wedding is approaching and i am going to have my hair in check
i am making the sacrifice of wearing it up all year
don;t care if it is cute or not!

Back