What Happened To Your College Sweetheart?

I'm engaged to him. We started dating when I was 18 and have been together ever since. It was rough sometimes and it still is from time to time. We live in the state but 2 hours a way from each other. I work during the week and he works almost everyday so seeing each other is very difficult considered gas prices. But we make it work.

Here's a bit of encouragement. Both my parents are from Trinidad. When my dad was 20 he moved to the US to go to school and my mom stayed in Trinidad. They soon got engaged and then got married two years later. I don't remember why but they were married for 2 years in different countries. Soon enough my mother came to the US to be with my dad. They are not happily married for 28 years.

Long distance relationships can workout sometimes.

I married him and he's sitting in the next room watching basketball game. He was also my high school sweetheart.

We also spent 6 months apart living in different countries, and I think it made our relationship stronger. LDRs can definitely work if two people love each other.

Last edited:
His life now seems stagnant, and mines is continually better without him. The most significant thing that has happen is he has a child now, but he still isn't as successful as he should be at his age.

I married my college sweetheart! We just celebrated 5 years this month!

We didn't go to the same college (I went to FSU he went to FAMU) however.
Freshman year I lived in a 4/4 with my best friend (also FSU) and 2 roomates (FAMU students) who happened to be best friends. They invited him and his friend to play cards at our apartment one day after spring break ended and we just hit it off then. That was in 1999.

We dated seriously soon after that and while in graduate school we broke up briefly, and 6 mos later on our 6 year anniversary he proposed. We always knew we'd get married but he proposed sooner than later (I still had a year left in grad school since I was double majoring and still had to start my internship). Anyhoo we got married and honeymooned during my spring break and the rest is history.

We did get pregnant late last year but I lost that baby in January. We are trying again now AND looking to buy our first home. We both have great relationships with our in-laws and our families get along well also. Not the most exciting story, but life has been great. God has been good.

I was with mine for a little over three years . We both graduated from undergrad together. He went back to Jersey and i went to grad school in Pennsylvania.

We grew apart, i broke up with him eventually and got me an international Boo at the grad campus :lol:

I don't believe in long distance relationships. I'm not cut out for one.

Back