What do you use Lye or No-Lye and why?

Which do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NewYorkgyrl said:
Is motions salon herbals relaxer lye or no lye relaxer? What about the regular motions relaxer?

Motions is a Lye relaxer. I use the Motions Herbal and I love it. I use to relax with No-Lye and it seem to really dry my hair out so I switched to Lye and haven't looked back.

No lye relaxers work better on the scalp because they talk longer to process where as Lye relaxers are permanent straightners and the process a little quicker. No- lye also puts calcium build up on the hair which in the long run leaves it dry and brittle. In between (once in a blue moon) you can use a no lye if you have been scratching on have scalp problems but I would suggest Lye relaxers. I use Lye relaxers on my hair and I burn easy so instead of using resistant like I probaly should I use mild and keep it on a little longer.

mytialpn said:
Motions is a Lye relaxer. I use the Motions Herbal and I love it. I use to relax with No-Lye and it seem to really dry my hair out so I switched to Lye and haven't looked back.

I use to use Motions and it did nothing for my hair but I was scared to try the herbal one; so its really nice on the hair?

I just want to say that Phytospecific is a no-lye relaxer but there is no calcium hydroxide in it to cause the calcium build-up mentioned above :) . Therefore, I will stick to it!

It all depends on the brand and strength. I've had bad experiences with both lye and no-lye. I've been burned and over processed with lye and dryed out, overprocessed, underprocessed, you name it- with no-lye :burn:. But once I found the right strength (mild) I went with the lye and got amazing results. (Now the touch up was another story but that wasn't the relaxer's fault). In the end, for anyone in doubt, I would roll with a lye relaxer and start with a mild. Underprocessed hair can be corrected. Overprocessed hair can't.

I prefer lye. My hair is a lot thicker with the lye. Also the no-lye dried out my hair terribly and I used to get severe breakage all the time not to talk of the countless split ends.

I've just always used lye relaxers...plus I've heard how no-lye can be very drying to the hair, although many lye relaxers are tough on the scalp. I have a dry scalp anyway, but its been under control. I guess I'm used to lye.

Jewell said:
I've just always used lye relaxers...plus I've heard how no-lye can be very drying to the hair, although many lye relaxers are tough on the scalp. I have a dry scalp anyway, but its been under control. I guess I'm used to lye.

That's the thing. When I apply the lye to my hair, within 7-10 minutes my head is on fire.:mad:

That's the only thing I miss about the no-lye, it's gentle on your scalp.

I prefer no-lye relaxers. I've only been exposed to no-lye relaxers (for 16+ years) up until November when I used Motions Lye relaxer and had to rinse the relaxer out after 3 minutes because my scalp was on fire! Some can't handle it and some can. I say use what works best for you. Only your scalp and hair can tell. :)

Hi. I use a lye relaxer, and I find that if I just base my scalp properly, I dont burn. I use a menthol base.... And I'm okay for the rest of the process. .....

I used to use no lye relaxers and my hair always looked dry and dull no matter what I put in it. A few years ago I switched to Lye and I can definitely tell the difference in the moisture and shine in my hair. Then about a year and a half ago I started using Affirm :love: , I've been in love with it ever since!!

Strange, no-lye relaxers were the ones that set my scalp on fire. Ive tried motions and revlon realistic and i didnt experience any burning. I did experience underprocessed hair. Does anyone know why this is happening?

ballet_bun said:
Hi Hottopic,

I tried lye for awhile, but my scalp did not like it. Therefore, I am sticking with no-lye. I had luck with it before and my hair was growing just fine. So as some members here say, "if it ain't broke, why fix it." Besides, my scalp is just really sensitive!

Ditto for me. I tried a lye relaxer years ago, and my scalp wasn't happy at all.

Right now I am using Affirm Sensitive Scalp.
I have used and like best for my HAIR Affirm Fiberguard mild...
but that junk tears up my scalp and can leave me underprocessed.
So, my stylist talked me into the no lye version (Sensitive scalp) it has been doing great, pain free relaxing. But I do miss the extra silkyness of the lye.

I voted Lye HOWEVER...When I was a teen I always used no lye relaxers and they always made my hair feel silkier than when I used lye relaxers. I switched to lye after reading how no lye relaxers leave your hair dry and prone to breakage. Lye relaxers make my hair feel crunchy when I relax, but this may have something to do with the crappy relaxers I was using ie MOTIONS..yuk!

I think my next relaxer will be no lye PHYTO, I just get a good feeling when reading about this one and thinking about how the no lyes used to make my hair feel compared to the lyes. Anyhoo I will have some time to think because I am thinking I will try a 6 month stretch this time.

I prefer lye, it causes less damage for me than the no-lye did. My hair is not dry and brittle the way it was with the no-lye relaxer. I do, however have to be more careful not to get it on my scalp. It will burn like fire if I'm not careful.

Always base the scalp!

Softresses

amina kamal said:
I voted Lye HOWEVER...When I was a teen I always used no lye relaxers and they always made my hair feel silkier than when I used lye relaxers. I switched to lye after reading how no lye relaxers leave your hair dry and prone to breakage. Lye relaxers make my hair feel crunchy when I relax, but this may have something to do with the crappy relaxers I was using ie MOTIONS..yuk!

I think my next relaxer will be no lye PHYTO, I just get a good feeling when reading about this one and thinking about how the no lyes used to make my hair feel compared to the lyes. Anyhoo I will have some time to think because I am thinking I will try a 6 month stretch this time.

ITA I used Affirm (because I thought it would be a better relaxer) and my hair felt sooooo crunchy and hard... My hair hated it... I have been previously using Motions in the past and my hair did well with it... I just didnt know that It was LYE... But I am seriously thinking about switching to ORS Relaxer No Lye. If my hair hates it, then its back to Lye.

Once again, I think I am the minority in this vote. I am switching back to no- lye- lye is to harsh and complicated for me. I have chewed up dry hair and it's 3 different textures with lye. :mad: Everything that everyone says is horrible about no - lye and great about lye is the complete opposite for me. I remember using no-lye back in the day and my hair was always silky and straight AND I was using old school fabulaxer. :eek: I can only imagine how much better it would be using some of the nicer stuff now that's new and improved!!

ORS here I come baby!!!!

No lye because I use Phyto.

I really wanted to try it and that's the only reason I relaxed in the first place. If there was no Phyto I would have stayed natural.

However, if I DID decide at some point to relax and there was no Phyto, I would go with lye.

Lye for me because over time, no lye relaxers thinned my hair out, and I always had breakage and shedding issues. Once I switched to lye, those things weren't as much of an issue, and my hair looked and felt healthier. Plus, it thickened up...now I'm growing out the no-lye ends.

I've used no-lye all my life and my hair always felt like straw afterwards! I'd grease, oil, deep condition, but it wouldn't feel "normal" for at least 2 weeks. My best friend got me to try Motions. I was so scurred! I had stripped my hair to lighten it about 4 years ago, and when I went to do a touch up, ALL my previously relaxed hair fell out!:eek: Ever since then I've been paranoid every time a relax. I was pleasantly surprised with the Motions! My scalp didn't burn at all (I always burned with no-lye), my hair was soft, silky, bouncy, with lots of body! Also, I was really surpised that I could actually comb through it. With no-lye my hair would be so dry at the crown that I would tear up trying to get a comp through it.

I'm hoping to streach 12 weeks, but I don't know if I'll make it! I'm using natural lady's Odorless MTG, MSM, and countrylife hair vitamins, and I aready look 3 weeks post!:eek: I've got naps where I've never had naps before!:eek:

Love it!

During my childhood, I had nice, thick pressed hair.

For some reason to this day, still don't know why my mama let my grandmother take me to some old school hairdresser.

I swear...I think this woman went into the back room...went down into the basement....and dipped a bucket into devil's cauldron to get some lye relaxer to put on my head.

That ish took my hair the he** OUT! :eek: That...was the beginning of the end....

my hair is fine....thin...you don't do that ish to a tenderoni head! ..and I'm scurred to do it now. I do not want my scalp to feel like the sole of the devil's foot!

No Lye Relaxers have never been an issue, improper hair care was the issue (coloring, frequent relaxing, gelled down ponytails, too tight weaving).

Now that I have Phyto and hair care knowledge, my hair now is the best it's been since childhood.

Phyto doesn't burn me - not one iota and it leave my hair looking wonderful. Actually...I had the same experience to a degree with Fabulaxer..never had a problem with it...but Phyto has a lil summin extra ;)

I am a No Lye user (Ors/Dr Miracle's). However, after reading this thread I have learned why my hair is so dry and brittle!!! I am very very gentle with my hair in all of its manipulation because of it. I think that I am going to switch to Lye next time I relax to see the difference it'll make , if any. Dang, you girls are so full of knowledge!!! I was thinking because No Lye is not as harsh on your hair that it was better....but now I have learned that types of hair respond differently.

The No Lye makes my hair break also, I was wondering when that would stop!! I do EVERYTHING...but as soon as i get down to syling and look in the sink....its short peices everywhere!!!!
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks LHCF

I didn't vote. I've used no-lye all my life and haven't been impressed w/ any of the relaxers i've had except Phyto which I believe is no lye. I'm not sure if i'm going to back to Phyto or try Silk Elements. If I try SE it will definitely be lye.

I just use it because I've always used it and my only experience with no lye underprocessed my hair and made it very dry. Even my new stylist could tell that I had used a no lye and it was only ONE time.

Back