For Those Of You Who Use Lye Relaxers...

Which lye relaxer are you currently using?

• ORS

Votes: 25 12.3%
  • Mizani

Votes: 56 27.6%
  • Affirm

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Hawaiian Silky

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Design Essentials

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Vitale

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • Elucence

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Motions

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Optimum

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other, please specify...

Votes: 47 23.2%

• Total voters
I am unsure what perm to use again too. I know no lye perms are very damaging. I think I am going to perm my hair with Mizani regular today!

I'm still deciding if i should switch to a lye relaxer. i heard it leaves your hair moisturized:lick: i use ORS no lye now and im thinking about SE lye mild...i have thick 4a hair and I'm 8 weeks post...will mild do the job or will i need a regular lye??:ohwell:

I currently use SE Regular and I mix in a little SAA and Neutral Protein Filler. It works like a charm on my course, hard to relax hair. :spinning:

I use Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter

I have used

Mizani (only one for which I'm unsure of the kind)
Affirm
Motions
Motions with Herbal extracts
Design Essentials
Silk Elements
Nairobi
PCJ
(All regular strength)

Out of those, my favorites were Nairobi, Silk Elements, and Design Essentials.

I was fine with all of them and just used whichever was the most convenient until I tried the Alter Ego and noticed the PROFOUND difference. I tried using Affirm a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me why I will never use any of these relaxers again unless I am in DIRE need (like having a breakage setback and am 6 months + post).

1) They all burned me, except the Mizani, which I think was no-lye. I realized what I used to tolerate or think wasn't that bad in terms of burning and/or itching isn't necessary tolerate.
2) Some dried out my scalp, and while I didn't usually get extreme dandruff... my scalp was still dry and/or itchy
3) They left my hair seemingly beaten, and while not overprocessed.... my hair seemed processed. I realized that is also not necessary.
4) They felt unpleasant, and I realized a relaxer could feel almost refreshing.
5) Some got my hair too straight or caused shedding and/or thinning over time.
6) Some did not leave my hair feeling moisturized.

Hey Miamori,

Where do you get this relaxer and what's your hair type? Also, please list the density and if your goal is to get your hair bone straight.

OP, to answer the questions, I have used:

Rene furterer (first relaxer on virgin hair, it was amazing)
then I went thru a phase of no lye's
Affirm Regular- I used this for almost 2 years but, it made my hair shed so so much. i didnt see a diff til I looked at pictures
MBB (for fine color treatted hair) I really liked this relaxer, I was 3 months post and was SCRATCHING my scalp (i know, i know) the day before and it only burned a little. i bought a small tub so I'll see more results later. My goal wasnt to get my hair bone stright. I wanted somehting of a 70% relaxer but I went over w the time (self relaxer) on the box it says 15-18 min and it was on my hair for 23min. I think what helps w this relaxer is the steps.. they really thought of everything. They have this replenishing mist that made my hair feel great.:grin:

umm, there were others but I didnt use them long enough to help. I have type 4a & b, dry, coarse and thick hair

I have tried different brands over the years. Since the beginning of last summer I have been using Mizani Butter Blends and honestly it is doing nothing for my hair. After a week it looks like my hair isn't even relaxed but I'm still using it because I bought a whole tub and don't want to waste it so needless to say I am looking to try a new brand when the tub gets used up.

I use Hawaiian Silky Lye, Mild and I have been using it for about 3 or 4 years now. I love it because it really does make my hair feel silky smooth. My hair feels so soft I can't stop touching it afterwards. It also does not burn my scalp at all. I have 4b hair and I relax my hair bone straight.

Here are the others I've tried:
Revlon Realistic - This was what I used consistently prior to Hawaiian Silky. I think this is a great relaxer but my hair was not as silky or soft as I would have liked it to be with this relaxer. The perm strengthener leave in that came with it was really good, too. As I recall, this relaxer was really gentle to the scalp as well.

Elasta QP, Mild - I used this relaxer for the first half of this year. My hair hated this relaxer. It is probably good if you want texturized or texlaxed hair, but since I don't, it just left my hair underprocessed and it was always dry. I used the entire Elasta line at that time.

Hawaiian Silky Herbal - I used this last year thinking that it would be even better than the original Hawaiian Silky that I use. I was wrong. It burned so much I lost some of my progress. I had even based my scalp which I never do.

Motions - This worked well for a while, but then I started getting breakage which may not be because of the relaxer, but I steered away from it after that.

I want to try ORS Lye, but I will try to stick to what I have for now until I get closer to my hair goal.

Which lye brand do you use and why? Affirm Sensitive Scalp
Which strength? Regular
Have you used others? Platinum Silk
Why have you stopped using them? It gave me lots of scabs

MBB users,
I just started using this but only have the relaxer and neutralizing poo. It started burning so I had to wash out quick and only one side got permed. Do you guys use the whole system?

I use Elasta QP Lye Relaxer in Mild. I use it because I want a texturized look and this relaxer is very mild and I would have to leave it on very long time for it to get my hair bone straight. In fact I am not so sure it could get my hair bone straight no matter what amount of time I left it on.

Which lye brand do you use and why? Affirm
Which strength? Normal
Have you used others? Yes (Mazani Mild Lye, Optimum Multi-Mineral Lye, & John Amico Mild Lye)

Why have you stopped using them?

• Used Mazani twice and I stopped using Mazani b/c it did not straighten my hair it more like texturized it.
  • Used Optimum twice and I stopped using Optimum Multi-Mineral Lye b/c I started expriencing major dryness and breakage. Plus it has ingredients similar to No-lye relaxers.
  • I got my hair done by a professional once and she used John Amico Mild lye on my hair and I loved it. But I can't buy it since I do not have a license or a connection.
But I love Affirm Normal Relaxer. I was lucky and purchased a big tub of it from a licensed beautician on LHCF and it leaves my hair straight, soft and silky. I am sticking with Affirm. :grin:

]Which lye brand do you use and why? ORS Lye
Have you used others? Yes
Why have you stopped using them? Just looking for the best product for my hair

Tanks for the format Puddles.

For those of you who have found lye relaxers taht have worked for you hair, what is your hair type. I'm trying to find something that works for me. I'm type 4a/b.

I'm currently using Optimum Multi-Mineral or TCB with DNA protein. I like Optimum because I think it leaves with more body after a chemical service. I'm currently using regular strength, but my hairdresser has advised me to start using mild.
I used to use Designer Touch no lye, but it left my hair very dry.

Which lye brand do you use and why? Which strength?
Have you used others? Why have you stopped using them?

I'm sure I'll be switching to lye for my next relaxer. I'm so lazy; the constant moisturizing isn't for me unfortunately. I'm thinking about using ORS Lye... for now :)

I switched from ORS No-Lye (Regular) to Designer Touch Lye (Regular)... wish I had done it sooner!
No-Lye weakened and dried my hair out terribly.

Last edited:
Mizani is my main relaxer, but I alternate between Motions Lye and Silk Elements. Right now I am on Mizani probably for the next two relaxers - then I'll be back on the market to try something new.

I'm using ORS Lye on myself 4a and my Mom who is a 3c. It works great for me. I have tried others like Mizani BB and I wasn't able to get my hair straight with it. I know my stylist used it when I went to her and it worked fine when she used it. She uses mild too. The only relaxers that I didn't like were No Lye.

I'm eyeing the Hawaiian silky though :)

For those of you who have found lye relaxers taht have worked for you hair, what is your hair type. I'm trying to find something that works for me. I'm type 4a/b.

Good question. My last few retouches have been with no-lye (Just For Me) although it straightened well, I always made my hair dry and dull-looking. I'm looking for a good lye relaxer now. I tried ORS but it burned my scalp.:sad: I'm thinking about trying Mizani (lye) next.

Which lye brand do you use and why? Which strength?
Have you used others? Why have you stopped using them?

I'm sure I'll be switching to lye for my next relaxer. I'm so lazy; the constant moisturizing isn't for me unfortunately. I'm thinking about using ORS Lye... for now :)

I use Silk Elements, Mild and that's a Lye relaxer. I texlax with it... I went natural, prior to using Silk Elements. When I was texlaxing before that I was using Just For Me and that is No-Lye. My reasons was just wanting to try something different... I heard that No-Lye is easier on the scalp but not the hair, and Lye is easier on the hair and not the scalp...Don't know how true that is...Or if I even remember that correctly - could be vice versa :drunk:... BUT, my results with the Silk Elements was actually fabulous. I will never switch again :nono:.

I used Design Essentials 10/08 and it seemed to work fine, a little burning. I used it again 3/09 on 20weeks post hair and it did absolutely nothing to my hair, looks like I didn't get a relaxer at all. Not sure what happened but I wont be using it again. Next time I will try Alter Ego Linange relaxer...

I wanna go back to using Lye but I'm scared I'll burn. I used to use Mizani lye without any burns though. But it's kinda expensive.

I like Revlon Realistic regular. Its doesn't burn, it makes my hair silky smooth and it's cheap.

Back