What do you use Lye or No-Lye and why?

Which do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have used lye but my fine hair cannot take it. It's back to No-lye for me. This weekend I'm going to a stylist and he'll use the 4 step system with Affirm Dry & Itchy Scalp.

I use a no-lye Phyto relaxer. This is the BEST relaxer for my coarse, sensitive hair.

I was going to try a lye relaxer but I think that I will stick with what is working. :look:

I am currently using no-lye. When I go to the salon they use lye. I have stated doing my hair myself. I have notice that using no-lye gets my hair bone straight. I have fine hair and after I relax my hair is limp. I would like for my hair to thicken up. I plan on using SE shea butter lye relaxer next time. I am going to use the mild version. When I use no-lye I use regular but I don't leave it on my hair the entire time and it still comes out straight. I also never base my hair with no-lye. I will make sure when I use lye to base my entire head. I also would like to keep a little texture. I also have a question for any ladies that use a mild lye relaxer do u still add oil to it? How much oil?

I use no lye relaxers. Lye relaxers burn my head no matter how much I base my scalp. :couchfire::burning::burning:

I use no lye relaxers. Lye relaxers burn my head no matter how much I base my scalp. :couchfire::burning::burning:

Yep, this is me... I could coat my scalp and the lye will start to burn me. I do like that is keeps some wave pattern in your hair, but no-lye is better on my scalp and gets my hair nice and straight.

i voted no-lye.. have never had any problems what so ever with no-lye. And then i found lchf and hopped on the Lye band wagon, switched from ORS no-lye to ORS Lye and the problems began :sad: i had tear inducing shedding and breaking that is just now (around 6 weeks post or) calming down.. thankfully we are all given thousands of strands of hair, so even though it was an awful lot of shedding i caught it early enough to make the proper adjustments.

It was to the point that i could run my hands through my hair (wet or dry) and clumps of hairs would come out.. porosity control and intense deep conditioning sessions saved my hairs' life!

needless to say.. im sticking to no-lye. Alot of ladies can take Lye with no problems and i fell in love with all the results and benefits that were posted but it wasn't for My hair.:nono:

lesson learned

A stylist friend of mine once told me that you shouldn't mix lye with no lye. Meaning if you use lye stick with that and don't switch to no-lye...and vice versa. I've heard that before but never thought to ask why. She said the result of mixing them is like putting Nair on your hair. I wonder if that's why so many women experience breakage when switching back and forth?

I stopped using no-lye over a year ago and I can really tell the difference in my hair...I did not know about chelating shampoos when using no-lye (to offset the dryness) but I really like the condition my hair is in now since switching to lye

LYE - Baby - LYE!! Its Mizani Butter Blends Mild for me. I love the softness and smoothness I get with this relaxer. I only relax 3x's per year, and this simply gives me the best results. I don't plan on switching any time soon. :yep:

I use a no-lye Phyto relaxer. This is the BEST relaxer for my coarse, sensitive hair.

I was going to try a lye relaxer but I think that I will stick with what is working. :look:

Were you previously relaxed before using Phyto, and if so, was it lye or no-lye? How long have you been using Phyto? Have you noticed any changes, particularly with the moisture retention, in your hair?

A stylist friend of mine once told me that you shouldn't mix lye with no lye. Meaning if you use lye stick with that and don't switch to no-lye...and vice versa. I've heard that before but never thought to ask why. She said the result of mixing them is like putting Nair on your hair. I wonder if that's why so many women experience breakage when switching back and forth?

I've read a lot of threads about ladies switching back and forth, and some can do it seamlessly with absolutely no setbacks, while others have experienced minor and major problems. Really, where it concerns relaxers, it depends on the individual head, IMHO. Despite knowing that some women have never had problems switching back and forth, even for years, I am cautious and will probably end up growing out enough hair (transitioning to lye) to be able to relax the NG with a lye relaxer and cut off the no-lye.

I just started using lye and self-texlaxing. When I went to a stylist up until July 2009, she used no-lye but it made my hair way too dry. I haven't noticed any more shedding since making the switch, but I shed a lot normally.

I use phyto and its the best relaxer i have ever used... i get the itch to try other relaxers every now and then and every time i stray, my hair pays for it :nono:

My hair is moving in the right direction fast so i plan on sticking to my proven favorites and phyto relaxer is the relaxer that i cant live without!

My reasons? my hair is shiny and silky, i dont get any excessive breakage or shedding, my hair holds moisture very well, im able to keep more thickness from root to tip, my hair "behaves" better in general, no burning or scalp discomfort during relaxer application, i'm able to stretch my relaxers longer, I also notice that my hair is always at its longest when i use phyto consistently.

I use phyto and its the best relaxer i have ever used... i get the itch to try other relaxers every now and then and every time i stray, my hair pays for it :nono:

I am so glad that you posted this! Do you use Phyto I or Phyto II?

I am so glad that you posted this! Do you use Phyto I or Phyto II?

Hi Taz!

i use phyto II, it gets my hair straighter in less time. I relax the front of my hair while my sis does the back. I used to think i had to leave it on for 25 mins, but lately ive been able to get my hair equally as straight with only 18 minutes total app and smoothing time. I used phyto I before and it left me underprocessed because i didn't leave it in long enough.

Hi Taz!

i use phyto II, it gets my hair straighter in less time. I relax the front of my hair while my sis does the back. I used to think i had to leave it on for 25 mins, but lately ive been able to get my hair equally as straight with only 18 minutes total app and smoothing time. I used phyto I before and it left me underprocessed because i didn't leave it in long enough.

Thanks, Beana! Your hair looks really nice!:yep:

I use no lye because I grew up with it. I've gotten a couple of lye relaxers at the salon and it felt like my scalp was on fire. I never burn with no lye. I also love Phyto and it is no lye.

I use lye. I find my hair comes out silkier and is more moisturized than when processed with no-lye.

For the past year, I was a no-lye user. As of this weekend, I am officially a lye-convert and loving it. :grin:

I'm going back to no lye! My advice is if you're going to switch you should transition first. There is no way that I have the patience to deal with dealing with 3 textures and I have super coarse hair! I just had a wake up call. Detangling should not be a hard task, my hair will end up thin, broken, and raggedy if I try to fight with my hair. I'm almost apl and I do not want to lose all of this progress. I will relax with ors no lye in the next few days and examine the condition of my hair better. I'm not knocking either one, it's just certain things you have to do to maintain them. I prefer straighter & silkier results and lye is not giving me that. I even use the coarse formula of lye.. no results! & the coarse formula processes quicker so half way through self relaxing my scalp is screaming for the neutralizing shampoo! If it ain't broke, please don't fix it!

I use no lye :) Before I was using lye cause everyone said how it was suppose to be better for your hair. I lost sooooooo much hair on relaxer day w/ lye it was crazy, I thought I was going bald. Since switching to no-lye I only lose a couple of strands. My hair is soooo much thicker. Plus my hair is very resistant and lye never got it straight, only texlaked or a silky afro lol. Im on no-lye for life and cant nobody tell me nothing :D

Last edited:
Back