What do you think of Chris Rock's hair dpcumentary?

CarmelCupcake

Hey guys have you seen Chris Rock's documentary called "Good Hair , Bad Hair". I think that was the name of it. What did you all think of it? Do you think that it perpetuated the myth that black women can't have long hair even more?

Never seen it. But I watched a few of the previews and realized that I never want to buy a lacefront wig from that Beautician on the documentray who was selling and installing them for almost 1000 a pop :perplexed

Last edited:
It was informative in some respects. I think that it would have been a much better documentary if he would have looked at ALL the aspects of black hair instead of just the weaves and relaxing part of it. I didnt expect too much b/c after all he IS a comedian.

Out of 5 stars Id give it a 2.5-3.

It was informative in some respects. I think that it would have been a much better documentary if he would have looked at ALL the aspects of black hair instead of just the weaves and relaxing part of it. I didnt expect too much b/c after all he IS a comedian.

Out of 5 stars Id give it a 2.5-3.

I totally agree with this post.

In addition...

I felt he did a piss poor job with this so-called documentary. It was indeed informative, but really?? He couldn't have spoken to/interviewed some of the beauticians that did Nia, Raven-Simone, or Lauren's hair?? We HAD to go to the insane lady with the insane clients??? :perplexed Granted he is a comedian as stated, but c'mon son!! You couldn't dig a LITTLE deeper than that?

~S~

Nope and don't plan on seeing it. Haven't read good reviews about it either which I expected.

It was comedy with a little info thrown in. It's not journalism and shouldn't be taken as such. Weave junkies are real. They take their weave very seriously and will fly across country to get their hair done. Go to bhm and check out the weave section - I think a good part of the CR movie is a humorous spin on it.

It was comedy with a little info thrown in. It's not journalism and shouldn't be taken as such. Weave junkies are real. They take their weave very seriously and will fly across country to get their hair done. Go to bhm and check out the weave section - I think a good part of the CR movie is a humorous spin on it.
Right. Now had this been a National Geographic Special I would have been very pissed but its CR for Petes sake.

Agreed. I enjoyed it. Plus, a good portion of the movie is about the Bronner Bros competition, something I knew nothing about.

As a former weave wearer I wasn't overly surprised by what he said. I had to chuckle at that junky looking hair salon where the stylist said she had a "layaway plan" for weaves.

But how many people can say they truly understand how relaxer is made (they toured Dudley's), how caustic the materials can be or that a good portion of the hair used from India comes from hair given to God for FREE but ends up making money for companies and temples?

I also enjoyed it. I can see why some did not appreciate it but I found it thought provoking. I had never really considered my hair before--why I thought the way I did about it or how others viewed it. It was definitely an eye opener, particularly the part where he analyzes relaxer in a lab with a chemist. I mean, I had never stopped to think about exactly what was in a relaxer. Or the not letting a man touch your hair thing. Sure, not every woman is like that but I have definitely stopped a lover's hand from going into my hair for fear of him "messing it up". The film made me reflect. It was not perfect but if that was the goal then it was successful.

I have never seen anything but snippets of it and it was stupid. Documentary it was not.

He set out to make a mockery of black women and that he did.

Got people really believing we have the weave game on lock! Lol!

Right. Now had this been a National Geographic Special I would have been very pissed but its CR for Petes sake.

*Jumps out of chair and screams*

DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR OFF? O_O

WHY!?!!!!!

I guess it looks okay...whatever. I mean it's a cute cut and all but...*kicks rock*lol

It was a total slap in the face. Borderline disgrace!!! He had a handful of straight hair anda handful of textured tight curly hair and asked someone "which one do you want to buy?" Chris Rock made it seem as if all black women hated their hair. he was on Oprah and Wendy. I'm sure every white person at work thinks us black women wear weaves

I think it made us look like sheep - like we're addicted to markets run by Koreans (the weave business). It did open my eyes a bit. The movie was kind of exposing black women's hair but at the same time it was motivation to grow my own...

Yea, Chris Rock basically has so many people thinking that all of us wear hair weaves. How annoying. Chris Rock could have came up with some other type of documentary. Im not a fan of him. I was watching one of his stand up comedy shows where he was making some unecessary comments about black women. :nono:

I'm really interested in social issues so this was pretty interesting to me. This was his personal interpretation of black women and good hair, and I respect that. If anyone believes that "all" black women wears weaves, then that is their problem. There are several other documentaries, hair books (Hair Story, a must read!) and internet websites where people can research and get a different perspective from other people on the issue of black hair. So I don't fault Chris Rock for his perspective.

For some women, this was the first time they found out that a relaxer has a caustic chemical inside of it. I told my mother for years that a relaxer could unclog a drain and clean your bathroom, YEARS. But it wasn't until she saw CR documentary that she listened. So I commend CR for making black women think about what they are doing and why they are doing it.

It has some interesting informations that black (and white) women should know about the product they use but the way it is presented can be confusing.
In the end the message seems to be "black women use weaves to hide bad hair" (my interpretation). Which is for me 2 different things.

I've never seen it and I never will.

I understand that he's just a comedian, but he really didn't have to make it into a movie that would air in theaters all across the country, ya know? He could have made it into an HBO special or straight to DVD thing or even a stand up routine entitled "Good Hair"...so that it would mainly be for black peoples eyes only. I mean I know that 'other' people can still access that stuff (HBO, DVD's...) but I think it would have been less of a pull to 'others' if it wasn't readily available, in-your-face, 'oh, there's a big poster at the movie theatre with Chris Rock on it, let's check it out'.

And of course ['other'] people shouldn't take what he has to say seriously, because he's a comedian...but it was a documentary...it wasn't a drama/comedy. Yea Yea. Even if he had made it a comedy/drama/regular stupid movie it would have been better. It wouldn't have screamed 'watch my real life documentary that shows what's wrong with BW and their hair'.

I enjoyed the movie. I don't think there was anything shameful or negative about. I found it very informative.

I've never seen it and I never will.

I understand that he's just a comedian, but he really didn't have to make it into a movie that would air in theaters all across the country, ya know? He could have made it into an HBO special or straight to DVD thing or even a stand up routine entitled "Good Hair"...so that it would mainly be for black peoples eyes only. I mean I know that 'other' people can still access that stuff (HBO, DVD's...) but I think it would have been less of a pull to 'others' if it wasn't readily available, in-your-face, 'oh, there's a big poster at the movie theatre with Chris Rock on it, let's check it out'.

Why is an issue if "other" people see Good Hair? It isn't like all people of other races are oblivious to our issues with our hair, colorism and the like. Chris Rock is not the first person to discuss black hair and he will not be the last.

CarmelCupcake,
I'm with you in that I've never liked Chris Rock. He's never been funny to me and even if black women are known for wearing weaves, so what. It's our prerogative to do what we wanna do. Bobby Brown said it best!!

I enjoyed the movie. I just don't think that "other" people really care about our hair all that much, honestly. I work with a bunch of white women (1 male, I'm the only black), and half of the women have naturally curly hair. When they don't have time to flatiron it they spend the entire day complaining about how frizzy their hair is and what a poofball they have and are frantically trying to find something to tame it. They're worried about their hair, not mine. And when my fro comes out, it is clearly the highlight of their day...

Back