What do you think of Chris Rock's hair dpcumentary?

First of all Carmel, you have my dream hair:lick:, and you know this,lol.

But I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. I thought is was entertaining at best and I saw what some black women do to their hair from a different light. I wan't offended because the truth be told, many black women, including me at that time, wear relaxers or wear weave. I didn't find it a disgrace(shrugs). Not to mention, SO WHAT, what other people think of our hair. Sometimes many of us can't win for losing:ohwell:.

At the same time, I went with some friends and we were discussing the movie afterwards. One of them cried, yes cried because she felt he aired out some dirty laundry and now everyone was going to see what we do to our hair:perplexed. We had a heated argument over it. It was then I realzed that she depends sooooo much on weave and it was part of her(or so it seemed). And to expose it, was very personal. Very:ohwell:.

So I realized this movie is one that touched black women in different ways.

I thought he made a good point when he went to India.
They try to get as much hair as possible from the temples but sometimes
thats not enough because the demand for weaves is so high. Therefore
they must resort to cutting innocent women's hair while they sleep.
Sad part is, its not considered a criminal offence and the guy gets off scott free.

If someone cut your hair off in the middle of the night, so another person could
wear it how would that make you feel?

Makes us look like we cant grow hair, and this is why I don't wear weaves.
(No offence to people that do, just saying)

Sad part is, its not considered a criminal offence and the guy gets off scott free.

If someone cut your hair off in the middle of the night, so another person could

Wow is this really what goes on in the hair weave industry?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Wow is this really what goes on in the hair weave industry?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

That was discussed in one section of the movie with a "thief". The guy explained how they steal hair from girls either in their sleep or at the movie theaters simply to sell it. That hair ultimately ends up as weave hair.

He even talked about the length of hair they were looking for, etc. So yeah in certain parts of the world, girls lose their hair.

I thought it was horrible. It made black women look like we all want to be white and all of our hair styles and hair care practices are ghetto.

I thought it was a mockumentary, not a documentary - yet, sadly, people took it seriously. There was no acknowledgement of black women who have natural hair or those of us who take care of our relaxed hair.

Now, obviously, some of his portrayals were realistic for a segment of the population.

But I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. I thought is was entertaining at best and I saw what some black women do to their hair from a different light. I wan't offended because the truth be told, many black women, including me at that time, wear relaxers or wear weave. I didn't find it a disgrace(shrugs). Not to mention, SO WHAT, what other people think of our hair. Sometimes many of us can't win for losing:ohwell:.

At the same time, I went with some friends and we were discussing the movie afterwards. One of them cried, yes cried because she felt he aired out some dirty laundry and now everyone was going to see what we do to our hair:perplexed. We had a heated argument over it. It was then I realzed that she depends sooooo much on weave and it was part of her(or so it seemed). And to expose it, was very personal. Very:ohwell:.

:yep::yep:

This is ENRAGING.

That's a valid argument. I never thought about it from that perspective.

Honestly, other than the us...and the folks collecting our cash, no one else is really that concerned about what we're doing to our hair. They have their own hair and self-image concerns. It's really the final result that matters. And you have to admit it's pretty fascinating. I've used relaxers, extensions, weaves, wigs, etc for a long, long time and the quality and technological advances and availability these days is quite remarkable. People are going to be talking about it more publicly so we need to get used to it or get out of it.

i thought it was hilarious.me and my bro were cracking up the whole time
i just wish he had featured black women with real hair because all the women he interviewed [except for one i think] wore weave :/

You guys know whats funny... Prior to me being active on the forum, I actually enjoyed his documentary and thought it was pretty informative. Then I started being on the forum more, and started seeing how more and more black women are growing their hair to long lengths, including waist length and beyond, and thats when my perspective of the movie changed. I say we create a documentary on how black women can grow long hair. We can feature many of the women who are on this forum. It can be the sequel. Whose going to help me film? lol!!

I saw it when it came out. It was ok. Rehashed things that people on hair boards already know. It really didn't apply to me, so I wasn't offended or anything like that. It was kinda funny.

Honestly, I think it was a subliminal message to Malak... lol

I say, apply the principle of “consider the source.”

Since Chris Rock is a comedian, I expected the film "Good Hair" to be a humorous exemplar of the topic, and it was. This is also how I viewed the book Steve Harvey had written; so, to see so many viewing his dating advice as genuine never ceases to be a jaw-dropper for me.

Back