What Are Your Wedding Songs Going To Be?

felicia

i'm nowhere near ready to jump the broom, but have some songs that are going to def. be played.
they are:
inseparable by natalie cole
i want to walk down the aisle to here and now by luther(is it ghetto to walk down something other than the traditional wedding song?)
dont change by musiqu ( this is my honey and my song, we are going to dance to it)
dance with my father by luther
ribbon in the sky by luther

there are more but my mind is going blank. what love songs are going to be played at your wedding?
also, is it odd for an interracial couple to jump the broom? i'm not asking if its odd to marry, but about the tradition of jumping the broom?

[ QUOTE ]
felicia said:
i'm nowhere near ready to jump the broom, but have some
also, is it odd for an interracial couple to jump the broom? i'm not asking if its odd to marry, but about the tradition of jumping the broom?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think it's odd. I saw an interracial couple on TLC's "A Wedding Story" and they "jumped the broom". You can do whatever you want-it's your wedding,lol.

GIRL!! I've had these planned for a WHILE!!
At last, by Etta James
If only you knew, by Patti LaBelle
I believe (not sure what the actual title is) by the Four Tops
How do I breathe by LeAnne Rhimes
You're still theone by Shania Twain
Shining Star by the Manhattens
I only have eyes for you by the Flamingos (*sigh*)
I'm talking about Ro- MANCE, y'all!!

true, but i kinda thought it would be a slap in the ancestors faces. who knows by the time our wedding rolls around i'll come to my senses. i'm so clumsy, as soon as i jump my shoe will get caught in my dress and ill go tumbling down the stairs with my boobs exposed.
laugh.gif

also there will be tons of maxwell played
grin.gif

I know this isn't normally played at weddings, but I love Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed".

omg!!! mermaid. i forgot all about at last and if only you knew. thanks for the reminder. i used to want at last to be the song we dance to, but dont change has more meaning for us.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
I know this isn't normally played at weddings, but I love Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed".

[/ QUOTE ]

I love "overjoyed", you can be sure I'll be dancing it at my wedding

Let me tell ya.. Those songs mean so much to my man and I. I burned those and several others that told him how I felt on a cd for our first christmas and then I was stupid and broke up with him to be with someone else and that man waited for me to come back to him, because he knew I would. He knew how much he loved me and I him, but I was stupid and not recognizing what was in front of me.
It didn't take long for me to see that after all my searching, all that time- he was right there waiting. AT LAST. I Found him
I changed my wild ways, my use em and lose em style because I knew he would not be there again if I screwed up.
IF ONLY [he] KNEW, THE CHANGES I [went] THROUGH.
When we got back together, and I saw the cd and decided to play it mainly becasue I forgot what was on it, I broke down in tears because the wave of emotion those songs hit me with- this was what I gave him to tell him how I felt, and it was always there, even though I pushed it to the side, it was still there and so was he.
Those songs mean everything to us!

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
[ QUOTE ]
felicia said:
i'm nowhere near ready to jump the broom, but have some

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think it's odd. I saw an interracial couple on TLC's "A Wedding Story" and they "jumped the broom". You can do whatever you want-it's your wedding,lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This is what I always tell brides I work with. Its your day (well your’s and your groom’s) – your wedding is one of the few days in your life that is All about YOU. And if you want to jump a broom, backwards, doing a do-wop, wearing purple – then you should make it happen! What other time of your life can you indulge your dreams like this? That’s what a wedding is for.

Now my favorite wedding song right now is actually one that’s not a “normal” or standard wedding song. I just immediately thought “wedding” when I heard it for the first time. It’s Yolanda Adam’s “I’m Gonna Be Ready”. The melody is beautiful – but the lyrics are powerful. She’s talking to God, about the preparations she’s made in life under His guidance. Preparations so that she’s ready for whatever will come. She’s trusting in God that this is the right step for her. That come what may, she’s blessed because of her faith in God. She’s moving ahead in faith because she knows that He knows what lies ahead and trusts in Him that her steps are leading her in the right direction.

I cried and cried when I heard this song for the first time because I could just see a bride coming down the aisle to this song towards her groom. Even the pacing of the song is just right for a walk down the aisle – there’s a dramatic entry / opening, and the song ends with a powerful finish.

The chorus to the song:

[ QUOTE ]

Sight beyond what I see
You know what's best for me
Prepare my mind, prepare my heart
For whatever comes, I'm gone' be ready

Strength to pass any test
I feel like I'm so blessed
With you in control, I can't go wrong
'Cause I always know, I'm gonna be ready

[/ QUOTE ]

And, to answer your other question – no its not ghetto to not walk down the aisle to Mendelson’s tune. Your day your way… your song.

The most wonderful weddings I’ve attended or been a part of had the couple’s individual stamp throughout. They were totally unique and even more special because of it.

[ QUOTE ]
chanou said:
I love "overjoyed", you can be sure I'll be dancing it at my wedding

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one who liked this for a "wedding song". I heard it on a commercial some years ago [because the song came out way before my time] and every since it has been the "song" for me-you know to add on my list of songs I want to play if I ever got married.

[ QUOTE ]
felicia said:
true, but i kinda thought it would be a slap in the ancestors faces. who knows by the time our wedding rolls around i'll come to my senses. i'm so clumsy, as soon as i jump my shoe will get caught in my dress and ill go tumbling down the stairs with my boobs exposed.
laugh.gif

also there will be tons of maxwell played
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe our ancestors would be happy that you are celebrating marriage and honoring them by remembering this tradition. Considering all they went through so that you are even here and able to even find love and marry is a testament to them. Celebration and honor is never a slap in the face.

And as for tripping over the broom! There are ways to prevent that.
wink.gif
You lay the broom on the floor and make your “jump” more of a lively step! Plus, your groom is there to catch you if you stumble – and wouldn’t that be just the best sign for the beginning of a successful marriage???
smile.gif

I love that song. I have an old stevie wonder CD that I listen too when I go on road trips, That' show I discovered it. The words are powreful but yet it's a lively song. I always picture my whole family dancing to that song over a white tent under the starry night. ok I'm digressing.. sorry

I've just started looking at locations, we're getting married tentatively next may. But the location I want isn't available until september. It's so beautiful!!! I might have to get married in september

Re: what are your wedding songs going to be? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Natori24

I accidentally deleted my post...but yeah I hope things go as planned. I wanted to say that I have the old Stevie Wonder CD too. I listen to it sometimes. I ordered it from one of the music clubs..it's the one of the greatest hits cds.

I plan to sing Dangerously in Love at my wedding.

And the first bride/groom dance will be to Adore (Prince). Then he'll want RKelly "Dream Girl" as a dedication to me and I want to play "The First Time" by Roberta Flack for him.

The Momma and Nanny song (the two most important elders in his and my life respectively) is "If It Wasn't for You Love" by Heather Headley.

No Dads at this wedding. :smirk" but hey....

Oh and the first song for the wedding party/guests to dance to will be that Little Mo song - the upbeat one - "Let's Make it Official".

Sorry it's called "Forever"....

Lyrics:

feat. Fabolous
[Lil' Mo]
Baby, you're the poet to my life
But I'm tired of playin games
I'm ready to settle down
I'm ready to buy a house
And I'm ready to change my last name
I'm ready to have some kids
Ready for the life to live
And all love has to give
I been your superwoman for so long
Ready to be your wife

[Fab]
Little M-O...

[Lil Mo]
Now that love's taken over
I'm 100% sure that it's here to stay
I ain't got no issues standing in my way
I ain't goin nowhere
You ain't goin nowhere so...

Let's make it official
We ain't gettin no younger baby
And I'm ready to be with you
Together for always
To have and to hold through sickness and through health
Marriage will be crazy baby

Can you live with it, lovin me for life
To have and hold forever
Baby ride or die til death do us part
Let's make it last forever

Are you ready to be happy babe
For the rest of your life
Cause I wanna be your future, yeah
And let's start a family
Cause I ain't goin nowhere
And you ain't goin nowhere so let's make it official...

Let's make it official
We ain't gettin no younger baby
And I'm ready to be with you
Together for always

To have and to hold through sickness and through health
Marriage will be crazy baby

To have and hold forever

I'm ready to walk down that aisle in all white
And dedicate my life to you (yeah, yeah)
And live together happily ever after all

[Fab]
All I been thinkin bout is us
Slidin from weddings with bands on
Headin to San Juan, gettin our tan on
Girl, you must be forgettin your man's long
Most tuxes I have trouble gettin the pants on
And I know things run through your head when your man's gone
I come home have you sayin (Oh Boy) better than Cam'ron
We upsettin they plans on
Gettin they chance on
Gettin they hands on F-A-B-O

[Lil' Mo]
To have and hold forever

To have and hold forever

Make it last forever
And ever and ever
Can you live with it, lovin me for life...

For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder cause if I ever get married - the world is coming to an end -- so duck. I might pick that version that was in the Temptations movie. He was drunk but singing the heck outta my song - a slow version woo - WOW
shocked.gif

You- Jesse Powell

Higher - D'Angelo - little too religious for my taste but I LOVE the song.

Spend My Life With You - Eric Benet and Terry Dexter - this version was offffff the chain. Tamia was good but Terry 'toe' it up.

Brian McKnight - Never Felt This Way

A Night to Remember - Shalamar

Flying Without Wings - Rueben Studdard _ corny but something about that song gets me everytime I hear it.

Honorable Mentions - Overjoyed is my fav Stevie song, At Last - Etta James, Where You Are - Rahsaan Patterson, Love or Dont Change - Musiq

there are too many to name. For now let me say, 'Ribbon in the Sky' Stevie Wonder, 'Here and Now' Luther Vandross, 'You' Jesse Powell.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I plan to sing Dangerously in Love at my wedding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you and I have EXACTLY the same ideas!!!!
smile.gif
This is what I plan to do..... and also the litlle Mo song will be one of our first dances together!!! - not that we've planned to marry YET!!

i'e been planning this for years and i don't even have a boyfriend yet.
laugh.gif
glad to know i'm not the only one. i've even decided on what hairstyle i'm gonna have. the colour scheme for the wedding and transportation.
while the bridesmaids, page boys and flower girls are walking in i would like puchelbell canon(i know the spellings wrong)
while i'm walking in i want here comes the bride(keeping it traditional)
during the wedding reception i haven't completely decided on all the songs but i do want to have mariah carey and brian mcknight's whenever you call.(the song makes me cry i love it).

One In a Million by Larry Graham
You and I by Stevie Wonder
I Believe in You and Me by The Four Tops
Now and Foever by Luther
Always and Forever - I forget by whom
I was Made To Love You by Gerald Levart

[ QUOTE ]
NubianPrincess said:
Here and now - Luther Vandross

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever get married that will be mine too! I have loved that song since I was ten!

kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:
Spend My Life With You - Eric Benet and Terry Dexter - this version was offffff the chain. Tamia was good but Terry 'toe' it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just about to post the Eric / Tamia version. I haven't heard the one with Terry... hmmm... I better go find it before my big day!!
laugh.gif

I also like For You, by Kenny Lattimore. I think I planned for another Kenny Lattimore one, but I forget now...

I'll have to add this thread to my favourites 'cause I haven't thought too much about this yet!!

"At Last" by Etta James (before my time but it's all good). I just love it! I also love "Spend a lifetime" by Jamiroqui.

Back