We've all done it...................what mistakes have you done with your hair????

longhairlover

hmm I know i've done some crazy stuff. one time at the dom. place i had the chick put black color in my hair without knowing if it was peroxide............well weeks later i found out it was peroxide and that's why my hair was breaking all over the place. i have some strong hair though because it has it's moments when it gets jacked up but it always maintains the "look" of health and snaps back.

what have you ladies on here done that you would never ever do again? what products r u personally staying away from and have a vengeance for so bad if you see it in a bss you may snap? :wallbash:

for me it's african pride...the whole hair care line, my mother thought we'd use products that say their for blacks and it broke our hair off, this was a long time ago though when it first hit markets. i'll stick with the alleged "white" products, my hair does not do well with products that are supposed to be for our hair.

Dr.s Miracles is another one, I remember posting on here that i loved it until i noticed it turning my hair an asy gray lol!!! never again, stuff is bad thought it was good.....bad.....

can go on for days about this.

Re: We've all done it...................what mistakes have you done with your hair???

LOL...i laughed aloud @ what you said about dr. miracles.....my mom is trying to convert me over to that perm. NO THANKS. silk elements for me :)

Re: We've all done it...................what mistakes have you done with your hair???

I put bright blue streaks in my hair that turned green then fell out when I got my next relaxer back in college.

In high school I used to go to the locak BSS. I would buy Dark and Lovely hair relaxer mix it and keep it "fresh" in the fridge. Everytime I thought a "nap" or coil was about to spring forth I would run and relax my hair.

Back then , I couldn't stand the site of my new growth. I was relaxing my poor strands as much as every month.:nono:

Using this
300.jpg
on RELAXED hair.

It has two steps:
First you do the all over color. This step when as planned. Then ( and heres where it went down hill) you put on the highlights. Well Those "high lights" turned straight WHITE in like 1 minute. Then fell straight out within a few days.:nono: It looked so cute on the box.:perplexed

Curling Iron EVERYDAY :nono:

I relaxed every four weeks. I used to put blond highlights in my hair. I'd curl everyday. Spritz, spritz, and more spritz. Pulling my hair into a tight ponytail, most times with braids, until my eyes slanted. Pink lotion, Moisture Max, White Rain, and Dark and Lovely.

One time when I was younger, I will not tell my age at the time, I started to put a relaxer on the middle/back of my hair. My mom made me go grocery shopping. My scalp was itching the entire time. I came home and had to wash my hair. I wonder if doing that is affecting my hair growth these days?

I am a dye addict. I dunno why, but I'm working on it. I put Feria in my hair and afterwards relaxed. I knew it wasn't right, but I had to have that color crack. That stuff didn't even come out the right color.

Once I took out some really small corn rows and didn't comb out or detangle before washing. I had gotten side tracked with a phone call and totally forgot that step. Talk about crying at the tangled ball of hair on top of my head. It took me hours to untangle what I could. I was determined not to cut my hair. In the end, I had to cut about 2 inches off. Never again...

Products I would stay away from, ORS conditioner. Everyone LOVES it but my hair is the only hair that didn't:nono:. Made my hair shed something fierce. Made it soft...yes, but shed, shed, shed.

i put on some micros and left them in too long 4 yrs later my edges havent fully recoveredi cringe everytime i think about my hair ripping out of my scalp when i was trying to untangle the knots

This one girl I know had micros all throughout middle school and the early years of high school

In my desire to bleach some of my hair I used Clorox. You can guess the rest.

I used baking soda and peroxide to make blonde highlights.It was cute though:look:

:look:

When my dreadlocks along my hair line started to irk me (by falling in my face/being generally difficult) I would just pull out the whole dread - by the root. :nono:

I texturized, bleached, and dyed my hair in a single session. That was shortly before I went into dreadlocks because oddly enough, by hair got even MORE unmanageable after that - who woulda guessed? :lachen: I'm so lucky I still HAD hair, yo.

OMG, Justkiya, you ARE lucky to still have had a single strand of hair on your head!

Lord, the things I used to do to my poor hair. No wonder I looked so jacked up. :ohwell:

Coloring my hair and not dc'ing after *then* trying to make my hair shiny using Pink Oil lotion. Breakage city. :ohwell:

I have many stories and have made many mistakes..but the below is the biggest mistake....

**after living all my years of having natural hair, one day while in college my grown tail decided that I was sick of natural hair and getting my APL hair pressed every 2 weeks.

Didn't know what I was doing, but I relaxed my own hair with Hawaiian Silky.......and didn't use neutralizing shampoo...only regular shampoo.
Scalp burnt like the devil for many many days!! :heated:

:look::perplexed

**two weeks after 'relaxing' my own hair, I went to a new stylist who tried to 'fix' my hair because the relaxer didn't take.
So he relaxed my hair again on the parts that were underprocessed....in addition to adding black cellophane color in my hair.:perplexed

Yes--my hair was brittle as straw and broke off.

Afterwards, went to another stylist who eventually had to shave my head. :blush:

This was around the time that Toni Braxton hit the scene.. so I ended up wearing her signature cut for about a year.

From apl to ear length in two weeks. My mom 'bout had a fit when I went home for Easter that year! :blush:

I used to comb a SUPER NO-LYE RELAXER...through my hair every 6 weeks.....WITH A RATTAIL COMB.

I had a bad reaction 2 Oct and megatek a couple months back.. Never again

I had a friend who use to relax her hair every TWO weeks.:blush:

my biggets mistakes were letting friends and bad stylists in my hair. letting people comb my hair with a rattail comb on my 4z natural hair. wth was I thinking?

:boxing::boxing:
hmm I know i've done some crazy stuff. one time at the dom. place i had the chick put black color in my hair without knowing if it was peroxide............well weeks later i found out it was peroxide and that's why my hair was breaking all over the place. i have some strong hair though because it has it's moments when it gets jacked up but it always maintains the "look" of health and snaps back.

what have you ladies on here done that you would never ever do again? what products r u personally staying away from and have a vengeance for so bad if you see it in a bss you may snap? :wallbash:

quote]

NEXXUS HUMECTRESS...I'm still hot about that...Every time I think about it or see it in someone else's thread :boxing:. I'm so mad about that one that I have ill feelings about all Nexxus products.

Bad things I did to my hair...the last time I was natural I would flat iron my hair every weekend without using a heat protectant. The only thing that saved me was that at that time I just figured relaxing would be easier than flat ironing every week.

Putting mayonaise in my hair was the biggest mistake. I had seen a yahoo group with a black girl with waist length hair. She swore putting mayonaise mixed with eggs in her hair made worked for her, her grandmother, and either her daughter or younger sister. They all had waist length hair. I put that ish in my hair and my hair felt like straw afterwards.Then it stank! Never again.

dying and perming my hair in one session. dr miracles. relaxing every 4 weeks. neutralizing ONCE. flat ironing everyday. queen helene products(ugh)

Pre-LHCF:
Relaxing every 4 weeks
Flat ironing every single day
Never conditioned, only used CON shampoo
What's funny is that I got told all the time how pretty my hair was, but it never grew past shoulder length. Hmmm wonder why :scratchch

After LHCF:
My number one biggest mistake since LHCF was when I switched from Elasta QP Lye (mild) to ORS no lye. Oh. My. Goodness. That stuff dang near ruined all my hard work. I had to cut off 3 inches and I went back to Elasta Lye. I'm currently trying to get my hair healthy again. I can't even stand to hear someone rave about that mess, or see it in the store, lol.

Last edited:

Tryin to be Grown and dyed my hair x3. Every time it came out in globs! I am not getting over number 3! No more dye or rinses for me, just henna! I guess I needed the 3 strikes and your out type events!

Recently: Went to the Dominicans..where they weren't so friendly about my 15 week stretch

My sister has thin hair. Well she took the advice of my bi-racial cousin and is going to the Dominicans. I'm afraid of all that heat on her already thinning hair. I guess we shall see.

Uh, where can I start?
Relaxed every 4 weeks (couldn't stand NG and didn't how to care for it)
NEVER DC'd my hair
Always applied grease to my hair and curled it right afterwards EVERYDAY
After removing braids, never had patience to GENTLY detangled (I would tear my hair out)
Would wear cotton bandanas or nothing at all covering my hair a night
After washing my hair, I would blowdry then flatiron or curl, and then wondered why there was so much hair on the floor
I could've slapped myself when I found LHCF

Back