We've all done it...................what mistakes have you done with your hair????

Re: We've all done it...................what mistakes have you done with your hair???

bleached my hair gold/blonde every two months. never deep conditioned my hair.

Re: We've all done it...................what mistakes have you done with your hair???

I too am a hair dye fanatic. Until I found this board. I dyed my hair six times in two days trying to get the right color. I even mixed clorox bleach with conditioner and put it in my head. Let's just say I had a P Diddy mohawk afterwards. Still have't learned my lesson the pic in my siggy has dye I put in with peroxide, after I permed. You can see my edges are burnt. I am currently in a bob like my avatar, but for some god diven reason it is thick as heck.

Uh, where can I start?
Relaxed every 4 weeks (couldn't stand NG and didn't how to care for it)
NEVER DC'd my hair
Always applied grease to my hair and curled it right afterwards EVERYDAY
After removing braids, never had patience to GENTLY detangled (I would tear my hair out)
Would wear cotton bandanas or nothing at all covering my hair a night
After washing my hair, I would blowdry then flatiron or curl, and then wondered why there was so much hair on the floor
I could've slapped myself when I found LHCF

:lachen:I could've slapped myself when I found LHCF, I say this to myself all the time, too funny you made my day with that one.

Before LHCF
*Relax all the time, and mmm relaxer from roots to ends.
* Used heat without a heat protectant(didn't know about it)
*Detangle with a small tooth comb
* I didn't DC
*Wash once in a blue moon
* Use the black gel all the time
*Glued some tracks to my hair....when i took them out i had to get my hair cut to NL.

In my desire to bleach some of my hair I used Clorox. You can guess the rest.

Did you really do that? Bless your poor scalp! I hope you didn't have permanent damage.:nono::nono::nono:

LOL...i laughed aloud @ what you said about dr. miracles.....my mom is trying to convert me over to that perm. NO THANKS. silk elements for me :)

yeah i was using dr. miracle for a minute too, i liked their feel it formula lol!!!! had me thinking it was really doing good for my hair NOT!! lol!
then I started to notice my hair was becoming mad brittle and off blackish kind of ashy looking lol!!!then they promote it like it was a black man who created it and it's still white creators very misleading.

i used silk elements too, and it's just ok to me. the one that i last used in Aug was Optimum anti breakage and that one i really like it's gentle on the hair.

the optimum is a keeper, my moms swears by it too.

In high school I used to go to the locak BSS. I would buy Dark and Lovely hair relaxer mix it and keep it "fresh" in the fridge. Everytime I thought a "nap" or coil was about to spring forth I would run and relax my hair.

Back then , I couldn't stand the site of my new growth. I was relaxing my poor strands as much as every month.:nono:

omg!!!! :lachen:yeah back in the days it just seemed like new growth was bad,

I put bright blue streaks in my hair that turned green then fell out when I got my next relaxer back in college.

wow!!! I don't know what i would've done if my hair just plain fell out, blue streaks eh lol!!!!

oh no! does it have peroxide in it?

normally peroxide and relaxers don't do well together at all they are the enemy to one another, i mean the professionals do it, but even sometimes there hair starts falling too, thank goodness for weaves and weave highlights for all who like to change hair colors sometimes.

Using this
300.jpg
on RELAXED hair.

It has two steps:
First you do the all over color. This step when as planned. Then ( and heres where it went down hill) you put on the highlights. Well Those "high lights" turned straight WHITE in like 1 minute. Then fell straight out within a few days.:nono: It looked so cute on the box.:perplexed

a lot of women have been victims to the braids, that's why my mom never let me get them, but with cornrows that i had gotten years ago the women was a superb braider but the first time she braided my hair she knotted the end of my damn hair! next time i gave her a** rubber bands, what the hell was her problem she wasn't working on fake hair fool.

:nono:
I had a bad reaction 2 Oct and megatek a couple months back.. Never again

uh oh were you able to go outside without a veil? what exactly happened to you? ok now i'm back to not trying it.:nono:

what my mom always said to me was that maybe every mother should take a hair course just to learn how to properly care for their childs hair. i was always trained what to do to keep from any issues. I have still gotten caught out there because of the products just being crap.

I guess now for all you ladies here you can help your daughters or kids you have in the future to care for their hair properly so that they dont have to go through what we went through in our hair trials and tribulations.

Most of the time i feel our people don't have the hair they should because of misinformation, I still see young girls with under or over processed hair, and hair so straight it has no body. nowadays in these so called salons people don't know what they are doing either, so we have to take matters in our own hands.

You have the knowledge now and you can spread the correct information on black hair care.

my biggets mistakes were letting friends and bad stylists in my hair. letting people comb my hair with a rattail comb on my 4z natural hair. wth was I thinking?

the bad thing in beauty school is that they focus on white hair textues more so than black hair, my mother use to have a big beef with that, she decided to become a cosmetologist once the dominican salon burned her scalp so bad she had to go to the emergency room for the oozing puss that was coming out of her head. after that she said she was gonna never let anyone else in her hair again,

the only reason why she was good with hair was because of learning about her own mistakes and from the unskilled stylists. so when she did black hair she was really good at it and made sure to care for it well.

it's amazing how the stylists will destroy your hair, til this day she is the only person that i trust to trim my hair even though she now needs glasses lol! she knows and inch does not mean a bob cut!

I used Infusium 23 leave-in. It split and broke off my hair significantly.

Recently: Went to the Dominicans..where they weren't so friendly about my 15 week stretch

wow, i had went to some of those spots where they were combing the hair like it was a dog lol!!!! i was shocked too because in nyc they are very much use to dealing with black hair.......well except for this place in bk where this women blew out my roots with a fine toothe comb, my fault for letting her do it, next day my scalp was itching like crazy and had white stuff all over the scalp, i do not have a dandruff type of scalp i had to buy medicated dandruff shampoo i don;t know what she did to my hair! and scalp.

My sister has thin hair. Well she took the advice of my bi-racial cousin and is going to the Dominicans. I'm afraid of all that heat on her already thinning hair. I guess we shall see.

yeah not a good idea, its' funny thoug because one of my friends now has mbl from going to them, but the people she goes to are gentle on our hair, but not all of them are gentle, but yeah since she has fine hair i would recommend only blowing out the roots if even that.

using clarifying shampoo every week and using a glass straightener almost everyday. My hair was gone by the end of the school year :sad:

bleached my hair gold/blonde every two months. never deep conditioned my hair.

damn that mary j blidge and all others with that lovely golden blonde hair, was the coloring very damaging for your hair?

I too am a hair dye fanatic. Until I found this board. I dyed my hair six times in two days trying to get the right color. I even mixed clorox bleach with conditioner and put it in my head. Let's just say I had a P Diddy mohawk afterwards. Still have't learned my lesson the pic in my siggy has dye I put in with peroxide, after I permed. You can see my edges are burnt. I am currently in a bob like my avatar, but for some god diven reason it is thick as heck.

stop coloring and if u must maybe have a professional do it that has a good portfolio and references. that peroxide will eat your hair up and dry it up like a tumble weed.

stop coloring and if u must maybe have a professional do it that has a good portfolio and references. that peroxide will eat your hair up and dry it up like a tumble weed.

Trust me I know, I haven't dyed it since. I am lucky my hair is still thick and healthy, I wish I had found this board years ago. By the way you and your hair...... just beautiful.

Before LHCF
*Relax all the time, and mmm relaxer from roots to ends.
* Used heat without a heat protectant(didn't know about it)
*Detangle with a small tooth comb
* I didn't DC
*Wash once in a blue moon
* Use the black gel all the time
*Glued some tracks to my hair....when i took them out i had to get my hair cut to NL.

:blush::blush: Did that too :wallbash:

How much time do you have?
1. Begging my mother to let me get a relaxer. She finally agreed when I graduated H.S. (yes, I was an obedient child) :drunk: - After years of mistreating my hair, :lachen:I'm finally back to being natural!!! My hair is very grateful.

2. Using the brush attachment on the blow dryer while my hair is wet (not damp, but dripping wet). I broke off alot of hair!

3. Going to stylists who convinced me that I shouldn't grow my hair past my shoulders because (and I quote) "You're just trying to be (fill in race)."

4. Flat ironing on the hottest setting only to have that horrific aroma of burnt hair follow me around for the next few days.

5. Not paying attention to my diet which has a direct correlation to hair growth (in my opinion). You can't eat junk food and expect a beautiful, healthy, head of hair.

I use to use that Dr. Miracle's too until I realized my hair was dry as the Sahara. Plus I got tired of smelling like Vicks.

I use to relax from root to tip. I never had a schedule, just whenever.

I bleached the front of my hair white right before LHCF. I've had blonde before, but this crap was stark white. I wanted the perfect turquoise hue:rolleyes:

I hardly ever neutralized. I just thought it was an extra shampoo for no reason.

Trust me I know, I haven't dyed it since. I am lucky my hair is still thick and healthy, I wish I had found this board years ago. By the way you and your hair...... just beautiful.

awww thank you:blush: lol! i mean the color in the pic really matches well with your skin tone but don't do it yourself, with coloring anyway your gonna have to have a very very strict hair regimen if your gonna perm too. it can be done but just more time consuming.

How much time do you have?

3. Going to stylists who convinced me that I shouldn't grow my hair past my shoulders because (and I quote) "You're just trying to be (fill in race)."

what stylist said that? they should've been smacked lol!!!

your hair is very beautiful so i guess as long as you got it together, i guess we need these trials in our lives to finally know our hair what it likes, dislikes.

Mine would be going heat crazy causing me to have heat damage. I used to flat iron my hair everytime I washed and then I noticed the major breakage. I'm still paying for it because my whole hair is curly but when I get to the ends, its almost straight but I've been doing good for the past year but I def learned my lesson.

I would have to say jumping on every hair bandwagon when I started lurking here. My hair became a guinea pig and I know I set myself back because everything isn't for everyone.

Also using any other serum to flat iron besides Sabino Moisture Block. I will never do that again. I damaged my hair significantly because I wanted to test other heat protectants that just didn't protect.

Back