Well, I TRIED to go Red....(pics)

I read that you can. But you can't color over henna. I think if you henna over the color you have now it will come out really red. :yep:

Tis true :yep: All I've ever used to color are cellophanes, but when I started using henna, my hair was even brjghter. I'll post pics later showing the difference.

I didn't read through the whole thread so I'm not sure if someone else mentioned this but when I used to colour my hair I'd use a neutral protein filler (it comes in different colours but I'd usually go with neutral cuz I tended to only pick a colour once I got to the store :lol:), it helps the colour take better.
Amazon.com: Neutral Protein Filler 1.2oz: Beauty
Colorful Products - Colorful Neutral Protein Filler 4 oz.

Also because my hair is pretty thick, I'd buy 4 boxes of hair dye at a time, I figure it's better to have too much than too little, that way I could really cover and saturate every single strand of hair.

Also when you recolour, start with the back and work your way to the front, and the cool thing about the protein filler, if you water it down, it doubles as a protein reconstructor for the week after your dye job, HTH :yep:

eta your hair looks great, but I understand wanting to have an even colour all over.

I think it looks really pretty! I think I may use the color you did because thats the exact color I'm going for. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous btw!

It's permanent. textures n tones ruby rage

wait, what do you mean? the light will get dark or the dark will get light? plz explain!!

The light will get darker. That was my experience a while back with Dark N Lovely. My scalp and roots were super bright, but it toned down and evened out after some washes.

anybody thinking about using henna and perm color would do themselves a disservice if they do the two back to back, use a cheapie henna and/or if they dont strand test first due to the metalic salts and other components that could cause chemical reactions and you would have to think about your touch up strategies because there could be some serious consequences when using the two interchangeably. It is unpredictive and you could have a real bad setback, thats just my little funky advice, DIY is not always the best way to go with chemicals, but anywho, good luck ladies

Aww...it still looks beautiful IMO. not too much and enough to see the tint of it. I had the same results before and once I hit the sun or through the flat iron to it (after a week or so), it somehow began to show a little more.

Thanks guys, and natural detroit thanks again for the info both here and in PM.

Your cheeziness - did you go red and it got darker after a few washes or a different color?

anybody thinking about using henna and perm color would do themselves a disservice if they do the two back to back, use a cheapie henna and/or if they dont strand test first due to the metalic salts and other components that could cause chemical reactions and you would have to think about your touch up strategies because there could be some serious consequences when using the two interchangeably. It is unpredictive and you could have a real bad setback, thats just my little funky advice, DIY is not always the best way to go with chemicals, but anywho, good luck ladies

Whimsy: As always your hair is amazing, and the color is fab! it just reminds me of a really pretty henna-ing, sorry it wasn't what you were going for... I wouldnt judge a color untill its straight just to see??:)

NaturalDetroit:I love all of the advice you've given!!! Its mind boggling to think ALL of that goes into just hair color alone... With that said I hate to DIY with ANYTHING, but with our hair its just soo hard to find a good colorist who won't massacare the strands! *le sigh... I'd love to learn more on this...

Whimsy: As always your hair is amazing, and the color is fab! it just reminds me of a really pretty henna-ing, sorry it wasn't what you were going for... I wouldnt judge a color untill its straight just to see??:)

NaturalDetroit:I love all of the advice you've given!!! Its mind boggling to think ALL of that goes into just hair color alone... With that said I hate to DIY with ANYTHING, but with our hair its just soo hard to find a good colorist who won't massacare the strands! *le sigh... I'd love to learn more on this...

Agreed, but not just colorists, it's hard to find a quality stylist in general with integrity as well as knowledge and skill who will help keep our hair healthy as well as looking great.

It's very pretty Whimsy. I've been wanting to try that Manic Panic Vampire Red for the longest. Someone did a thread on it here. Maybe I'll get my nerve up one day.

turned out lovely IMO.
the only way i ever got a true red was when my stylist bleached my hair first.
but that`s not happening again `cause after it faded to a burnt orange.

Whimsy I think it looks so pretty!! It's a very warm color and looks awesome on you.

I henna'ed over dyed hair after a couple of months of my color growing out, but I would not dye over my henna'ed hair. I've read up on this a lot, and it's not really because of the henna itself if you use BAQ, it's that henna deposits onto your hair shaft and it is VERY hard to lift, so if you were to use a dye, it would take a very strong process to lift the henna AND the melanin in your hair strand, which could lead to extensive damage. IMO it's not worth the risk.

I strongly suggest Softsheen*Carson's Hi Rez dye. It'll get your hair ridiculously red. It gave me the red I had been looking for.

Thinking about trying Creme of Nature's hair dye, but we'll see. Never used it. I've been off the dye for 5 years, but it's calling me back. .

Before redoing the color, make sure to do a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner days before. Your hair will appreciate it.

I have no clue in what to do with brightening color, but as usual- your hair is fab and I love the color (even though I could see how you would want it brighter)!!!!

Maybe you didn't get the exact color that you wanted, but it still turned out good IMO. I went to your blog and I like the color that your hair is better than the color that you wanted it to be.

I strongly suggest Softsheen*Carson's Hi Rez dye. It'll get your hair ridiculously red. It gave me the red I had been looking for.

Thinking about trying Creme of Nature's hair dye, but we'll see. Never used it. I've been off the dye for 5 years, but it's calling me back. .

Before redoing the color, make sure to do a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner days before. Your hair will appreciate it.

Thanks for this, and I laughed at the bold bit, you sound like you're talkin about crack or something...

Back