Black Women with Red Hair

I am a recovering red hair dye addict. I've had everything from auburn to burgundy. Used everything from Kool-aid to semi-permanent to permanent. Softsheen's Hi-Rez has really nice red shades.

I'm trying to not fall of the wagon since I've got halfwigs, but it's soooo hard. And this thread isn't helping!

what did you use to get this? I need this color in my life...i wonder how it would go w/ my skin tone....maybe a tiny bit darker than this.....

im so sorry but i dont remember exactly, it was two dyes mixed together(one was magenta the other was a red). But i do know the dye was L'Oreal Excellence HiColor - from Sallys. Its an hair dye for darker hair, no bleaching needed.

ohhh i just love red hair. i really want to dye my hair red again. Every time i get red hair i always end up dying it black:spinning: But i swear ima' stick it out:look:

2007/2008

^^Im pretty sure it was half red/half black. this was done on my virgin hair. I once experimented w/ bleach before this..:nono:..:nono:

2008/2009

^^It was a red plum color

^^^i was trying hard to get a ponytail:lachen: It was like an red w/ a slight orange tone to it.

ETA: I just notice that i basically dye my hair red once a year. I didnt dye it red in 2010, but i will in 2011 for sure:grin:

Beautiful colour :love:. What, so you actually did this colour without bleaching your hair? [strikethrough]Cos I've been reading that no colour will really show up well on black hair without bleaching it first (which I'd really like to avoid doing). What brand of dye did you use?[/strikethrough]

Ah, never mind, I just saw you already said up there ^^

Last edited:
Potential henna head checking in. @ElliePixie how many applications did it take to get your hair that color?

My hair is black so I'm guessing that I will end up with an auburn color or tints. I just don't want the color to be too shocking...

Any other pics of henna redheads?

Potential henna head checking in. @ElliePixie how many applications did it take to get your hair that color?

My hair is black so I'm guessing that I will end up with an auburn color or tints. I just don't want the color to be too shocking...

Any other pics of henna redheads?

Once, lol...but my hair was already fairly light. If your hair is black it will not show up that bright at all, henna does not lift color.

OK, so after plenty of research on the methods of dyeing, I'm thinking of first clarifying my hair to rid it of any buildup.

Then after washing and rinsing, I want to blowdry it, to dry it quickly, stretch it and hopefully increase a bit of porosity.

Then I'll apply the Mani Panic dye, wrap in cling film or plastic bag, and blow heat on it periodically from a blowdryer.

I'll leave it in either for a couple of hours or overnight (I still haven't 100% decided yet).

Then when it's time, I'll rinse it all our thoroughly and condition.

Anyone think this sounds like a good plan? :look:

I'm gonna do this within the next few days, and hopefully take pictures to show you all (that's if it comes out well though) :)

reddish/orangey/auburny colored hair is sexxy as hell:lol::grin: IMO

iadmire women with this type of hair naturally :yep: but ive seen some ladies pull it off perfectly(:

i'm glad for this thread. i dont know if i'll go red or just lighter and then red, or red in in the back...or WHAT>
but this thread got my mind off of cutting, and decided to just color and experiment that way this year instead of heading to the scissors...

update: i'm dying it red with textures n tones ruby rage tonight. i'll post pics tomorrow or monday

I'm looking for a change as well and am in love with red hair on all women. But I'd prefer not to have any chemicals, so which henna and mixture should I use? I went to this Indian market last nite, but wasn't sure and everything's in Hindi, and the shop owners weren't too helpful.

Did you mean me? :)

I LOVE red hair on black women and agree that it suits our skin tone very well. I'm thinking that's because we have warm undertones? When I first dyed my hair red I got tons of compliments telling me how it suited me so well.

I recently put a semi permanent rinse over the red coz I was bored so it won't show up again for a few weeks but here are some pics of my red.

When I first did it it was this bright
picture.php

It did fade a bit though
picture.php

And here's how it looks when it's straight. It looks brighter when straight.
picture.php

Be sure to show us how it looks if you decide to do it! :D
Very pretty! This is how I'd like mine to be...I don't want all of my hair red, just a front section about the size of yours. How did you section it? Like ear to ear?

OK, I still haven't managed to get round to dyeing my hair yet, mainly out of laziness and cold feet, lol. But hopefully it's happening tomorrow :yep:

Now, I've read numerous times how staining Manic Panic Vampire Red is on the bath tub. To help reduce mess, I'm thinking of taping black bin liner all over the bath tub, and leaving a hole for the drain of course. Do you think this is a good idea? :look:

My hair is red from henna...I think it looks good but I'm tired of red hair, so yea, a rinse is a good idea b/c it will fade, and you can dye over it easier. I'm pretty much stuck with my hair b/c I won't use a lifting dye to get rid of the red.
8jan2-vi.jpg

Your hair looks BEAUTIFUL!! Color and style.

Janet Jackson during Velvet Rope was best red for a pop star.

YouTube - Janet Jackson - Together Again (Deeper Remix)

Screenshot2010-10-03at105812PM.png

Screenshot2010-10-03at105926PM.png

janet_jackson_-_the_velvet_rope-front.jpg

Loved these looks on Janet. I'd love to have a LF lie the first look. :lick:

a503102122_1587917_5435781.jpg

Here's my red/pink hair I had about two years ago. I loved it! I've been thinking of going red again soon, but I haven't decided if I wanna deal with the dryness and maintenence.

I think Black women (since we come in many shades and tones) can rock really any shade of red and make it work...I have really never seen a black woman look bad in red...but I sure have seen some problems with platinum blonde.

I've never considered coloring all of my hair red...I adore jet black hair so much. My natural color is a sandy brown (close to #4, but a smidge darker). Currently, I'm color free after BC'ing...I usually color permanent black every Summer (or touch it up). However, yall are making me seriously consider trying red! I mean Rihanna red too, or Auburn red. I shall try Henna first to see if it (red on me) is something I like.

The pics posted here are really pretty, and I might just become a red convert after all. :yep: EllePixie's hair and PearlyCurly's hair (2009 pic with ponytail in clip) look JUST LIKE my hair...and EllePixie & I are close in skin tone/complexion...therefore, it should work for me!

ETA: Oops I actually have tried red once in my life--in high school I used Kool-Aid (cherry flavor, lol) to dye the ends of my hair red. That was back when Aaliyah was rocking the lighter brown ends and black hair (two-tone color, or dipped ends).

Last edited:
I got some highlights (a little in the back and one in the front) back in November. Here's how it looks now. I was going for a peek-a-boo effect. I might put in a few more or switch to brown/blonde for the summer. I don't know yet:

Last edited:
OK, I still haven't managed to get round to dyeing my hair yet, mainly out of laziness and cold feet, lol. But hopefully it's happening tomorrow :yep:

Now, I've read numerous times how staining Manic Panic Vampire Red is on the bath tub. To help reduce mess, I'm thinking of taping black bin liner all over the bath tub, and leaving a hole for the drain of course. Do you think this is a good idea? :look:

The stain eventually washes away, or you can use a bleach shower cleaner to get rid of it...but if you really don't want any stains then yes by all means line your tub!

Oh darn, what a hair dyeing fail. I "coloured" my unbleached hair with Manic Panic Vampire Red today, and it barely even shows after rinsing :ohwell:. It's not even worth taking photos to be honest. Oh, the downsides of having naturally black hair :rolleyes:.

Oh well, I think next time I may have to consider some bleaching if I really want some vibrant red :yep:

I don't like red hair on black women. But then again I don't like red hair on white women either. I have seen no woman with red hair that I enjoyed looking at. Red isn't a good color for hair, imo. Not my cup of tea. Burgundy is another story.

Oh darn, what a hair dyeing fail. I "coloured" my unbleached hair with Manic Panic Vampire Red today, and it barely even shows after rinsing :ohwell:. It's not even worth taking photos to be honest. Oh, the downsides of having naturally black hair :rolleyes:.

Oh well, I think next time I may have to consider some bleaching if I really want some vibrant red :yep:

Maybe try a semi-permanent dye w/o ammonia or peroxide? I've used Garnier Herbashine and that lightened my hair a couple of shades and I did not find it drying.

Back