Black Women with Red Hair

My grandmother was a natural redhead and so is my aunt, but they have two very different shades. Grandma had bright red hair and auntie has very dark auburn hair. Their shades fit their skin tones perfectly.

I have tried every red from dark to Manic Panic cherry, and I wish I looked good with red hair. It truly is my favorite hair color. This thread is making me want to try again. Maybe I'll get a professional color for once in my life...

i use to have dark auburn hair... it was feria cherry cola (they discontinued it) it was the most beautiful color ever, perfect for my skin tone... i used to get so many compliments... unfortunately reds is the hardest hair color to maintain... i wish i would've know about henna back then... henna would've been a win-win, helping to make the color last long while providing strength...

I already knew I missed my little auburn TWA, but coming in here... :nono: How am I ever going to get long hair if y'all keep making me cut it?? :lachen:

A couple questions for the ladies who've already colored their hair with henna:

• How/in what proportions would I add amla?
  • Would washing/conditioning first be a no-no? (The directions at the link someone posted say to apply to clean, dry hair.) Could I get away with just cowashing beforehand and shampooing/DCing afterward?
  • To that end, I usually follow up with a leave-in...should I skip this step altogether to avoid any oils preventing the color from taking? Is there a greater potential for damage when doing this on completely dry hair?
  • I've seen someone on the board mention adding an egg for shine. Would I do this the night before with the lemon juice, or the day of with the water? Would this be recommended at all for natural hair, or is there a risk of protein overload?

I'll be chopping and coloring this weekend if all goes according to plan...be back with pics! :yay:

How long should you wait before trying something like the Garnier after trying the manic panic?

:sekret:

Personally, I'd give it a week or two, but that's more about giving the manic panic time to wash out you hair (maybe give it longer depending on how much semi-permanent hair dye sticks to your hair). That's more of a color thing, then anything. From a damage stand point, manic panic is just staining your hair. I wouldn't be concerned about jacking up your hair. I don't think a bit of deep conditioning hurt anyone, though.

Every time I wash my shower turns pink :nono: I had to buy a jug of bleach to get it out.:blush:

I'm eyeing the henna thread. I should not be eyeing any thread about dye and should just go about my business.:yep:

After a visit to my local India Bazaar and not finding any henna that interested me (sucks too, because it's a big new one right down the street from my house), I've done a little research and decided to postpone my cut and color until next weekend. *sigh*

The good news is my research also yielded a lot of answers regarding my technique. I decided to nix the amla and use it with brahmi every other month, alternating with henna. (Assuming all goes according to plan.)

I will definitely shampoo and condition first and apply the henna to freshly washed, slightly damp hair. I'll cowash the henna out and follow up with a good thermal DC.

I won't add an egg--yet. Just chamomile tea and lemon juice (2:1) and enough honey to make the paste smooth after the dye releases. I anticipate this will also add a conditioning effect that will enhance rather than impede dye uptake as adding traditional conditioners or oils likely will. Besides, I'm not terribly worried, since I'm sandwiching it between conditionings. We'll see if this needs to be amended later. I guess I'll find a henna thread to pose my remaining questions, lol.

Be back next weekend with pics...

Yes, once I hit MBL I'd like to dye my hair dark auburn

d387b173bf0329474d603182bc91a6c9.jpg

6843c3214491e9f9846184f3a1f6fad5.jpg

I know this is an old thread but has anyone tried lightening their hair and then putting henna on top? How did that work out?

I'm thinking of doing something like that but don't know if I want to use straight bleach or do for a homemade lightening treatment.

Back