Black Women with Red Hair

i think it's okay..just not on everyone but nothing new...alot of us forgot Charlie Baltimore rocked the red hair hard way before Rihanna.

Yep, this is why when I decided to henna I made the decision to become a permanent redhead and kissed my blonde hair goodbye :grin:.

I will say, I do think my roots with the red look better than how they started to look with the light brown, especially when my virgin hair was wet, because it looks way darker then. I didn't really want my hair that two toned. But I'm also tired of looking like Carrot Top or the black Annie. :lachen: One of my friends called me a ginger! I punched him, lol.

i think it's okay..just not on everyone but nothing new...alot of us forgot Charlie Baltimore rocked the red hair hard way before Rihanna.

Ah! I LOVE Charli Baltimore. I dyed my hair red in college, and I wanted SO BAD to bleach my hair to make it as bright as hers. Charli was my nickname for like a year.

I will say, I do think my roots with the red look better than how they started to look with the light brown, especially when my virgin hair was wet, because it looks way darker then. I didn't really want my hair that two toned. But I'm also tired of looking like Carrot Top or the black Annie. :lachen: One of my friends called me a ginger! I punched him, lol.
Have you tried doing a henna mix with indigo, amla, or walnut powder to create brown tones instead of red? I think a 50:50 mix of henna and indigo would do it.

Have you tried doing a henna mix with indigo, amla, or walnut powder to create brown tones instead of red? I think a 50:50 mix of henna and indigo would do it.

I've used amla...maybe I should start using it straight rather than with henna like I did before (but my grocer sells Hesh...are those safe yet?). I think I am also going to try a coffee rinse. Initially I was going to indigo, but I don't want it to turn black and I have also read that it fades and can look blue...which is what my hair began to look like when I dyed it blue black with Feria...when it faded it looked terrible!

2gwunma.jpg
[/IMG]

Me as a red head, I called it orange :grin:

Awww what a beautiful smile-sexxxy sexxxy!!! I like your flippy layers too!

I've used amla...maybe I should start using it straight rather than with henna like I did before (but my grocer sells Hesh...are those safe yet?). I think I am also going to try a coffee rinse. Initially I was going to indigo, but I don't want it to turn black and I have also read that it fades and can look blue...which is what my hair began to look like when I dyed it blue black with Feria...when it faded it looked terrible!

Mix your indigo into your henna.Let the dye release first,and then right before you apply it, mix your indigo paste into your henna paste. 50/50 mix. I used a mix of 1/5 indigo into 4/5 henna to get auburn
picture.php

picture.php

from this, my initial henna color
picture.php

Mix your indigo into your henna.Let the dye release first,and then right before you apply it, mix your indigo paste into your henna paste. 50/50 mix. I used a mix of 1/5 indigo into 4/5 henna to get auburn
picture.php

picture.php

from this, my initial henna color
picture.php

Oooooh pretty! Does it fade though? That's the thing, I don't want to keep dyeing my hair.

My mom has naturally red hair (darker aburnish) and it looks gorgeous. I think it suits her and I know a ton of people trying to get that color (a little more subtle than rihanna) but I think red looks good on us. I don't know if ALL of us...I think it depends on the undertone of the red (not just any red color, meaning I'm sure there's a certain shade for each of us but not all work on all of us).

I LOVE red hair . I havebeen trying to get Brighter red cherryish- from henna, but I'm always hitting arburn. Any suggestions?
I dont have any pics tho sorry :(

Sharing! I just bought some indigo and ayurvedic powders - must be fate, because just as I was checking out the site I got this email:

AyurNatural Beauty | Ayurveda | Ayurvedic Products | Ayurvedic Herbs
New Year's Winter Sale - Jan 12th, 13th, & 14th

Save 20% on Wed, Jan 12th ONLY
Code: Newyear20

Save 15% on Thurs, Jan 13th and Fri Jan 14th
Code: Newyear15

* Minimum $15 purchase all days, excludes Native Remedies *

~ FREE SHIPPING FOR US Orders over $60 ~

Please note - Due to the expected response of the sale, allow up to 5 business days for your order to process before shipping. Orders will be processed in the order they are received.
See Shipping Policy for more details

I used to LOVE "Cherry cola red" semi-permanent hair color by Jazzing like 6 years back..that color was so popping ..not too bright and loud, but bright enough that you can see it.Yall making me feel like I wanna go back!:lol:

ohhh i just love red hair. i really want to dye my hair red again. Every time i get red hair i always end up dying it black:spinning: But i swear ima' stick it out:look:

2007/2008

^^Im pretty sure it was half red/half black. this was done on my virgin hair. I once experimented w/ bleach before this..:nono:..:nono:

2008/2009

^^It was a red plum color

^^^i was trying hard to get a ponytail:lachen: It was like an red w/ a slight orange tone to it.

ETA: I just notice that i basically dye my hair red once a year. I didnt dye it red in 2010, but i will in 2011 for sure:grin:

Last edited:
It's something about the metals in commercial dyes mixing with henna that can make your hair break or something along those lines.

I have dyed my hair with commercial dyes over henna with no breakage at all. I just make sure I wait a week after dying to use henna and using a very moisturizing dc with my steamer. Check my fotki.

Did you mean me? :)

I LOVE red hair on black women and agree that it suits our skin tone very well. I'm thinking that's because we have warm undertones? When I first dyed my hair red I got tons of compliments telling me how it suited me so well.

I recently put a semi permanent rinse over the red coz I was bored so it won't show up again for a few weeks but here are some pics of my red.

When I first did it it was this bright
picture.php

It did fade a bit though
picture.php

And here's how it looks when it's straight. It looks brighter when straight.
picture.php

Be sure to show us how it looks if you decide to do it! :D

Yep! You're the one! :grin:

i would love to dye my hair a burgundy red,but my hair is so fine it sensitive it breaks at the slightest things & my hair is already very dry so i think i may consider it when ive met my goal length

To be honest, I'd never even heard of Charlie Baltimore until someone mentioned her in this thread :look:. I Googled her though, and she looks good :yep:

For temporary and non-drying, I love Manic Panic. The color is very vibrant, but if you have darker hair it won't look crazy.

Hi, I just have another couple of questions about this Manic Panic dye. Which particular red colour do you like and use? And also, do you use bleach before it or not?

Hi, I just have another couple of questions about this Manic Panic dye. Which particular red colour do you like and use? And also, do you use bleach before it or not?

I don't use it anymore - this was in college...I know I used vampire red and flaming, and I liked them both. I definitely did not bleach my hair beforehand, which is why I got a nice dark, semi-normal color, lol.

I use manic panic vampire red still. I have pics in my fotki. It's drying but a moisturizing dc will knock that right out. And it is very messy for me.

Another red-hair lover checking in! Go for it--I'm going to try it again when my hair gets stronger. I dyed parts of it red back in '05 using Textures and tones (in parts because I was scared it would break and didn't want all of my hair to break off lol).
Anyway it was fine, faded to some brassy/golden color but easily refreshed with rinses like JazzInc. I loved it!

Tyra does red well too:
Tyra%20Banks-717753.jpg

4_4.jpg

OK, so I took the first step and have ordered Manic Panic Vampire Red Dye :). So once it arrives, this is it :D. Thanks so much to you ladies for helping me out here :yep:. I will try to post pictures if I can.

Back