Well, I TRIED to go Red....(pics)

:lol: :nono2: The pic you posted is her hair with the dye still in it. If you go to the link I posted she's in cornrows and her hair came out well.....brownish.

images

BWAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA the dye was still in? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Well I'll be damned.

WOW! Thanks!! OK, i used 3 boxes, and i thought i saturated everything but i guess not. I will try using a plastic bag and heat when i redye. what's level 6 level 10, a 20 volume and how do i find out about that stuff?
You can google online to learn alittle about color but cosmetology school and experience is the best place lol. as I said i recommend people go to a professional because color can get difficult and its more to it than just applying. Also store brands aka brands available to the general public are not consistently good and arent the same as professional brands.

Anywho level 1 is the darkest and 12 is the lightest (this is where your platinum blondes are) Most African American hair usually fall with the 1-3 levels and whites usally fall between the 2-4 levels (that mousy brown) thats why its easier to lift their color and get more vibrant results. In order to lift hair to a certain level you have to understand the mainly porosity, undertones, the line your using and developers. Certain developers are important for the specific jobs. A 10 volume developer is used only for depositing your dark colors, toners, etc and when your 20 volume and up is going to help lift. The stronger the developer the higher and faster the hair will lift but the more damage that can be done to the hair when not understood. :spinning: Anyway, you dont need to worry about all of that but you DO need to understand the basic chemical components if you want to DIY. Color is very technical within itself when you start adding in individual heads of hair it gets a little bit more deep.

Understand that you probably will not get the actual color that you are seeking from a box, but you can definitely try a toner just to even out the color and roots, it wont get you brighter but it will make that color even. Let me know if you want to just tone it and I'll pm you on how to do it.

ETA color wont lift color so you would have to go another more complicated route anyway (i dont remember if I said that earlier)

Last edited:
i think the color you're going for looks nice, whimsy. not sure how to correct it, but the red does look nice. i actually went red in december with the the help of outre 930 bob weave! one of my protective styles for about a month. i'd show a pic of how mine was, but i JUST took it out yesterday and saw your thread today. here is a pic of the hair i used:

redbob.jpg

naturally, it didn't come out that perfect, but it was still very nice. i've gotten more compliments as a redhed than anything else! best of luck correcting.

You can google online to learn alittle about color but cosmetology school and experience is the best place lol. as I said i recommend people go to a professional because color can get difficult and its more to it than just applying. Also store brands aka brands available to the general public are not consistently good and arent the same as professional brands.

Anywho level 1 is the darkest and 12 is the lightest (this is where your platinum blondes are) Most African American hair usually fall with the 1-3 levels and whites usally fall between the 2-4 levels (that mousy brown) thats why its easier to lift their color and get more vibrant results. In order to lift hair to a certain level you have to understand the mainly porosity, undertones, the line your using and developers. Certain developers are important for the specific jobs. A 10 volume developer is used only for depositing your dark colors, toners, etc and when your 20 volume and up is going to help lift. The stronger the developer the higher and faster the hair will lift but the more damage that can be done to the hair when not understood. :spinning: Anyway, you dont need to worry about all of that but you DO need to understand the basic chemical components if you want to DIY. Color is very technical within itself when you start adding in individual heads of hair it gets a little bit more deep.

Understand that you probably will not get the actual color that you are seeking from a box, but you can definitely try a toner just to even out the color and roots, it wont get you brighter but it will make that color even. Let me know if you want to just tone it and I'll pm you on how to do it.

Thanks for the info!! It's so complex. It would be lovely if it was just "see the color on the box u want, buy it, use it, get the color results you wanted."
But alas...

I would love a PM.

:rofl: You've been bamboozled. Just kidding. I'm glad it didn't come out Rihanna red. The color you have looks really nice. :yep:

Hoodwinked I tell ya!!! SMGDH :grin:

i think the color you're going for looks nice, whimsy. not sure how to correct it, but the red does look nice. i actually went red in december with the the help of outre 930 bob weave! one of my protective styles for about a month. i'd show a pic of how mine was, but i JUST took it out yesterday and saw your thread today. here is a pic of the hair i used:

redbob.jpg

naturally, it didn't come out that perfect, but it was still very nice. i've gotten more compliments as a redhed than anything else! best of luck correcting.

I love that bob!!! that asymetrical bang is the shizz.

:lachen::lachen: you've been bamboozled!

Don't I know it! :grin:
:yep::nono:

You're probably right! I'm going to straighten in a couple weeks to do my first self trim, so hopefully I'll dig it straight....but i barely wear my hair straight so I was hoping for something that looked vibrant on my curls. Don't be jelly, buy some dye! :)

I actually have some but I'm waaay too scared to double process my relaxed hair. Do you mind taking pictures when you straighten it, Whimsy? I would love to see how your hair looks. :grin:

I actually have some but I'm waaay too scared to double process my relaxed hair. Do you mind taking pictures when you straighten it, Whimsy? I would love to see how your hair looks. :grin:

Whimsy = Picture Whore, don't worry, there will be photographic documentation :)

Is your hair in good condition? There was a thread from WAAAY back for colored relaxed heads that had lots of info on safely dying relaxed hair....

Whimsy = Picture Whore, don't worry, there will be photographic documentation :)

Is your hair in good condition? There was a thread from WAAAY back for colored relaxed heads that had lots of info on safely dying relaxed hair....

YAY! :grin:

It seems to be but I also want to have more length before I start dying so that if I love it I don't have to re-do it as much. Does that make sense? :lol:

Well, I know its not as red as you wanted, but it still looks nice. And your twist out looks great too :)

Heres a closeup of that girls dye job bwahahahahaaa! Whimsy you did not read that girls page you just saw the pics and ran with it smh

Your color came out wayyyyyyyy better than hers :nono:
jackeddyejob.jpg

Heres a closeup of that girls dye job bwahahahahaaa! Whimsy you did not read that girls page you just saw the pics and ran with it smh

Your color came out wayyyyyyyy better than hers :nono:
jackeddyejob.jpg

LMBAO
I only saw the one pic, I googled textures n tones ruby rage so i could get the dye box to put on my blog, but she popped up lookin all happy with her red hair and I thought it was a results picture. I didn't even go to her site.

FAIL:lachen::lachen::lachen:

LOL maybe I am misunderstanding you....You won't have to color over the hair that you already colored if you like it. Same with a perm you just do the parts that haven't been done yet.

Do you protect the hair from overlapping with oil or conditioner? Or would that affect the absorbency of the colour?

Do you protect the hair from overlapping with oil or conditioner? Or would that affect the absorbency of the colour?

Are you seriously asking the girl who failed dying her hair for hair dyeing tips?:grin::lol:

Maybe Natural Detroit can help, she's a pro.

That's such a pretty color & it really compliments your skin tone!!
I hope you find the solution you're looking for..

I just read some of the thread and yes a color rinse would be great on that color. I did a semi on my mom's medium brown hair and it's completely the color she wanted now. A natural orange-red color.

Are you seriously asking the girl who failed dying her hair for hair dyeing tips?:grin::lol:

Maybe Natural Detroit can help, she's a pro.

PSH! You didn't fail, I want your colour and I'm not even a fan of red hair on myself. :lol:

Back