Weight Loss/Hair Growth Pt. 2!

So Day 1 I have my hair set in small twists that took over 6 hours to do (I'm a slow twister). I want them to last at least 2-4 weeks. and sense shampooing my wetting my hair doesn't really work out for me I'm going to return the Yes to Carrots conditioner I bought (not enough slip and my Tressemme Naturals does more for less) for a waterless shampoo so my set can last and not be funky.

Today I'm going to try to drink as much water as possible to detox myself of sorts and then do a fruit and veggie detox the rest of the week.

How is everyone else doing?

Went to the gym 3 times this week (1h30 each time)+ practiced golf 3 times ( 45 minutes each). Drinking at least 2L of water daily.

You all are putting me to shame. The only good thing I can report today is drinking a lot of water, but I do that anyway. I messed up because we had a huge family Sunday dinner today. Smh.

I did eat real clean yesterday but I did horrible on my water. I think I had maybe four bottles. This morning I had some soup and the DFAC because I was running late so I will have four bottles of water by lunch time to get rid of some of that salt.

davisbr88...the Sunday dinner is in the past....Let's get it!

Drank quite a bit of water today. Went to two church gatherings this
weekend. Lots of good food, unfortunately - :perplexed

So I'll be hitting the track tonight before I go to bed. This week I'm going back to two strand twists for my hair.

i havnt had time to work out since thursday because im so busy with finals
ive kept my eating under control though,however on saturday iwent on a date and ate a really big meal but i didnt eat tht much today so i could balance it out

i straightened my hair on saturday for the first time in a while [i usually do braidouts], my hair is almost WL!:grin::grin::grin:

I just planned my meals and work outs for the week. I hope to work out 5-6 days: swimming, bike riding and walking. I have my lunch pail packed for tomorrow: yogurt, fruit, and for lunch, salmon and farro. :lick: Excited!

Current weight (or BMI if you don't want to include numbers):186 lbs
Current hair length:#5 on my growth tracker shirt LOL

Short-term weight loss/BMI goal: STG:6/30/2011.....166 lbs (-20 lbs)
Short-term hair goal: #6 on my growth tracker shirt

Long-term weight loss/BMI goal: ~150 lbs
Long-term hair goal: MBL
Any other specific goals you'd like to reach: Toned and tight body

What will you change/continue in order to reach your weight loss goal? Smoothies with chlorella (need to use that green stuff up)
Daily exercise; at least walking the track until I am done with class
Stop eating late at night no food past 9pm (at the moment I stay up very late for school bc of finals)
Drink more water (1/2 my weight in oz's)
What will you change/continue to reach your hair goal? Nothing maybe get it dusted more often, not so sure.

How often will you check in with updates in order to hold yourself accountable? At least weekly but I will drop in all the time to check up on you ladies.

Last edited:
Ok, so technically today is day TWO of the challenge, but I will be honest ladies, all I did yesterday was drink lots of water. I only had four piece of buttered toast to eat.....and the rest of the day was water, water, water. I do believe that stress subsided my appetite quite a bit. Heck it's almost 3:00 a.m. now...and I'm STILL not hungry....and that is SOOOOOOOO unlike myself :ohwell:
Anyway, for tomorrow, I plan on starting my Jilian Michaels 30-day Shred workout.

Also I have some good news to report: I stepped on the scale today, and I'm actually 163 not 165 I'm proud of those two pounds lost! This brings me to 29.8% BMI not 30.2% as I first suspected. :)

I'd like to join. I'm on the forum so much with my phone, and I could use the support. I'm sitting at McDonalds right now, languishing in a sausage biscuit!! (Even tho I only came to use the WiFi...I felt obligated to get a sandwich)

Current weight (or BMI if you don't want to include numbers): 175 lbs
Current hair length: Neck Length
Short-term weight loss/BMI goal: 167 by June 1.
Short-term hair goal: Shoulder Length by September 2011
Long-term weight loss/BMI goal: Maintain 150..be seen in a swim suit on my Birthday (July 22)
Long-term hair goal: Waist Lenth...I have now decided
Any other specific goals you'd like to reach: Deans List this summer for my classes

What will you change/continue in order to reach your weight loss goal? Pack Lunches and Snacks So I'm not tempted by fast food.
What will you change/continue to reach your hair goal?Sleeping with my scarf every night no matter what. Wear Protective Styles 90% of the time. (Starting May 9, after finals!)

How often will you check in with updates in order to hold yourself accountable? Weekly.

ETA: I forgot some things I want to do. Exercise 4x weekly, and HAVE A PLAN for the workout. ie, no more going to the gym, staying on the elliptical until a good tv show goes off, then haphazardly deciding to do random strength training. I want to have a schedule like...idk, Monday Arms and Abs, Tuesday Legs and Glutes, ect. Does anyone do this now? If so, please post a workout sched/routine! I'd love to see...

Last edited:
Sundays are my weigh in days. Weighed in at 215.6 so down 2.8 lbs since last week. So far I did personal training yesterday and Day 1 of the Supreme 90 workout--Chest & Back today. Will make a smoothie and drink some green tea before heading out to work. Snacks today will most likely be greek yogurt, a granola bar, and ww english muffin with sunflower seed butter. Lunch will be cousous mixed with sweet apple & maple chicken sausage. Plan to drink a lot of water too.

I'm doing a HOT right now with sweet almond oil, will rinse, then follow with a cowash. Will most likely do a wash & go puff or throw a headband on it.

I am definitely in!!! This is my current obsession anyways:)

Current BMI: 26
Current length: MBL
Short term weight loss goal: BMI under 25 and more muscle tone
Short term hair growth goal: full MBL
Long term weight loss goal: BMI under 23, even more tone
Long term hair growth goal: full WL
Regimen for weight loss:
Cardio (running or elliptical) 6 days/week
Weights 3 days/week
Pilates 3/days/week
Under 1400 calories/day
Regimen for hair growth:
Continue with NO HEAT unless for DC and roller sets.
DC weekly
Roller sets weekly
Low manip and protective styles. No ponytails.
Cowash as needed depending on workout.
Keep hair moisturized.
Trims q 8 weeks
Relaxer q 8 weeks

Good luck everyone. We can do this!! Fine by summertime:)

Congrats to the ladies succeeding in one or both aspects of the challenge!
Today is a new day for me so I am determined to get it.
I'm also planning to get sewed up this week so I won't be able to really track my hair progress for a while, but it is what it is. I'll just have faith that it is growing well.
I'll have an update next Sunday on weight loss.

ETA: I weighed in today at 159 so I've gained a pound :nono:
So I have exactly 40 pounds to lose to reach my goal!
Gotta make it happen. :yep:

Last edited:
I am so IN :yay:

Current weight (or BMI if you don't want to include numbers): 152 pounds
Current hair length: Getting it cut back to CBL or slightly shorter this week to get rid of SSK and split ends
Short-term weight loss/BMI goal: Lose 10 pounds by June 1st
Short-term hair goal: SSK and Split end free SL hair
Long-term weight loss/BMI goal: between 125-130 pounds
Long-term hair goal: WL hair
Any other specific goals you'd like to reach: Spiritual growth, increased energy, and flatter stomach

What will you change/continue in order to reach your weight loss goal? Work out a minimum of 3 times a week, be more conscious of eating habits (less sugar). Also drink at least 4 glasses of water a day, daily multi vitamin.
What will you change/continue to reach your hair goal? Stretched protective styling, dusting, low manipulation, biotin pills

How often will you check in with updates in order to hold yourself accountable? I will check in at least 2-3 times a week to check in.

So angry right now...

Yesterday as we all know was the 1st and the start of the challenge, and boy, did mine begin with a crummy start! Since it was Sunday, I asked me mum what was for dinner during church (since I generally cook everyday but Sunday) and she said "I don't know; I guess we'll have to get some chicken (aka Popeye's). NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I ate horribly yesterday you guys! :nono: On top of that, I have no room to work out besides today. I have two jobs: I teach at my alma mater and work in a grocery store. The only day I'm off from job #2 is today. Every other day this week I'm working both. Plus I have to do lesson plans today b/c I have no other time to do so. ON TOP OF THAT: my boobies are hurting right now (sorry if TMI!) and that's a sign that Aunt Flo is coming for a visit...sigh. My Tracker says sometime in the midweek.

There is a glimmer of light though: Today I got some "healthy" breakfast from Subway (egg white and cheese on flatbread is my fave!) and for lunch I brought an orange and a bottle of water. So...trying to do better! Pray for me! :grin:

So I woke up this morning and weighed myself, I was down 20 lbs at the beginning of the year and I am almost back to my orginal weight.

Cowashed with ApHogee 2 min, about to M&S..... so thats a good thing I did for my hair today.

Havent ate anything yet (its 11am) cause I am not sure on what to eat plus Im not hungry at the moment. I will start drinking my water I guess then....I will be back later tonight and update you guys on what I have ate and done.

Last edited:
Hi ladies . Sowwy I m late with my stats : )

My current BMI is 28.5 %

Current Hair Length is Apl

Short term goal is to lose 15 pds by the end of june

Long term weight loss goal is to lose and maintain weight loss of 30 to 35 pds

Long term Hair Goal is to be somewhere between bsl and mbl.

The changes I will make will be to commit to a 100% clean eating lifestyle with only 1 cheat meal per week. I commit to working out @ least 3 times a week rotating zumba, watp, and I will also begin training for a 5k. I am hoping to meet my ult. goal by the end of summer and make exercise a lifetime habit. Good luck ladies. Oh I ll check in once a week minimum.
Oops I forgot for my hair regi I am going to moisturize at least 1 xs daily, weekly prepoo and dc with steam and only flat iron once a month. I will also be doing s & d's more often
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

I would like to join if I can, if it's not too late?

Current weight (or BMI if you don't want to include numbers): 187.6
Current hair length: I don't know all these abv. I am a newbie but my hair is neck length or chin length I guess
Short-term weight loss/BMI goal: 175 by my birthday June 14th
Short-term hair goal: collar bone length if possible
Long-term weight loss/BMI goal: somewhere between 155-165
Long-term hair goal: BSL, or WL is my ultimate goal but I have a few years for that one.
Any other specific goals you'd like to reach: those are my main goals right now, aside from building up my savings account and buying a house next year.

What will you change/continue in order to reach your weight loss goal? Well I have already lost 26 pounds so far so what I am doing I think it working.
What will you change/continue to reach your hair goal? I will moisturize more often and try more protective styles.

How often will you check in with updates in order to hold yourself accountable? I will check in every two weeks with my weight I am doing a little challenge with my co-workers and we weigh in every two weeks. so next check in will be May 12th. Hair not sure yet. :)

Prepping for my sew-in on Thursday in hopes of retaining major length and cutting out the overmanipulation!
Not sure what to do... I did a henna gloss on Sunday, and DC'ed after but not as long as I wanted to because I had to go to church. So I rinsed off the gel I used from yesterday's superquick WNG and am DC'ing now. I plan to baggy all day and night and rinse in the morning. I am thinking I should maybe do a protein treatment tomorrow since I'm going to go a LONG time without one while in the sew-in (which is a litte nerve-wracking for me!), and then just keep DC'ing until Thursday.
How do any weave-wearers in this thread prep?
I don't think henna and protein in the same week is too much for my hair but I could be wrong, I guess. I just can't imagine going 2-3 months without protein when I usually do one every 3.5-4 weeks.

^^^ Before a weave I deep condition over night and then wash my hair like normal and dc with heat for 20 mins. I use a moisture based dc cause my hair doesn't love protein. I also blow out my hair lightly sometimes.

I see it's pretty active up in here today :grin:, ladies yall are getting busy!
So far I haven't had anything to eat....(except for some fries at around 5:00 a.m. :look: I know it was wrong, and I will repent for my sins today via Jilian Michaels 30-day Shred DVD). And I'm currently sipping on some water.

I'm currently at my 12th week mark, and I'm due for a relaxer on tomorrow (FINALLY) I will be sure to keep you guys updated on how this all pans out...I'm nervious and excited to see how much growth was retained this go around. We shall see :yep:

^^^ Before a weave I deep condition over night and then wash my hair like normal and dc with heat for 20 mins. I use a moisture based dc cause my hair doesn't love protein. I also blow out my hair lightly sometimes.

Thanks! This is only my second sew-in (my first was for prom and I DEFINITELY didn't prep for or take care of my hair underneath), so I am hoping I can get it right so I'll have a great PS for a while.

hey yall :)

i didn't do too good yesterday... oh well.

i'm on it today, though! i made chicken breast, whole grain rice, and string beans for lunch... skipped breakfast (bad, i know!)... getting ready to co-wash my hair in a few and get started on these notes for work... my mother and i are planning on going to the gym tomorrow... i hate exercising so i think i'm gonna set my work-out goal low for now... maybe 3 times a week... although my behind needs to workout every day... realistically, it's not happening so i won't set myself up for that failure! anyway... continued success, ladies... let's get it!

I did it again guys: horrible dinner. This time it was Sonic. :nono: We have like no food in the house and my mother is *cough* too lazy *cough* to get some groceries. Sigh. I did have a good breakfast and lunch if that makes up for my evildoing! Gosh, I just can't get right! Oh well, off to henna my hair and grade papers. :ohwell:

Current weight (or BMI if you don't want to include numbers):to much to tell
Current hair length: ARMPIT but not full length currently
Short-term weight loss/BMI goal: 20lbs by 5/30 - 100 lbs by Christmas
Short-term hair goal: Full Armpit
Long-term weight loss/BMI goal: 100lbs
Long-term hair goal: Waist length
Any other specific goals you'd like to reach: Eating more, I need to eat more veggies and much more fruit. I want to spend 1hour a day reading and studying my bible. I am thinking of joining a challenge. I might even start one on here.

What will you change/continue in order to reach your weight loss goal? NO chips, I recently learned that every single thing I eat that is not healthy goes to my belly, so for me snacks or out, they have to be 100% good fuel for my body or I have to do without.
What will you change/continue to reach your hair goal? using less products and keeping my hair in one style hopefully for an entire week, spending time pampering it on Sundays.

How often will you check in with updates in order to hold yourself accountable? As I change I will post my changes.

To add today, I had 1/2 cup of OJ and veggie sausage in a roti
Later I had one egg and cinn toast
Dinner roasted potato's, broccoli and veggie steak.

Last edited:
drmuffin: I had a really bad dinner, too, but that's because I haven't been grocery shopping and only had junk in the house.
My groceries are getting delivered tomorrow so I won't have any excuse. I've decided to try out the Special K diet from tomorrow until the 16th. I keep seeing those dang commercials and I love that cereal! We'll see how it goes.

This is just what I need to get the motivation to actually look right by the summer. In the year since I've turned 21, I stopped caring about my hair (slapping a lf over it) and stopped working out (and spent all my extra free time at the bar).

Current weight (or BMI if you don't want to include numbers): 121
Current hair length: MBL, thin, and breaking/shedding.
Short-term weight loss/BMI goal: 115 in time for a wedding at the end of May
Short-term hair goal: figure out whats breaking my hair off.
Long-term weight loss/BMI goal: 104 by the end of August
Long-term hair goal: healthy MBL by Dec 31st
Any other specific goals you'd like to reach: stop the food cravings and become pescatarian

What will you change/continue in order to reach your weight loss goal? i need to stop eating more than my 250 pound brother, stop drinking absurd amounts of alcohol, become physically active, find other hobbies to keep me away from the fridge
What will you change/continue to reach your hair goal? Less manipulation of the hair, no more wash and goes :(, start trimming hair

How often will you check in with updates in order to hold yourself accountable? Twice a week

davisbr88 oh please share how that Special K diet goes! I ate hours ago and I still feel like a pig. Sitting here on my bed and looking at my dresser mirror is all the motivation I need to hit this thing hard and quit making excuses!

Thanks to everyone for reporting in because it is helping me to stay inspired. I ate well today, except I had some chips (I am ADDICTED to potato chips). I made it to the track and walked today also. Tomorrow is pilates class.

Hair is freshly washed, conditioned, moisturized and sealed. I braided it into a bun and wore under my half wig during the day.

I will report back at the end of the week or beg of next week.

Back