Weave It Up Challenge 2010

also, what is the best way to take down a weave and treatment right after and for the first month being weavless? thanks x

I'm in for the second half:

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?
6 months

Regimen:
Wear install for 2 months, with two weeks in between
Aphogee 2 step plus deep moisture treatment during "off" week
Moisturize every other day
Wash with diluted shampoo/conditioner once a week
Deep condition (moisture) once a week with heat
Protein on the leave-out hair every two weeks.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
Hair under weave:
-Moisturizing Spray (Talijah Waajid Protective Bodifier right now. Will try glycerin/water at some point)
-Megatek

Leave out hair:
-Elasta QP Mango Butter
-Coconut oil
-serum for heat protectact (chi, Sabino MB)
-Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat (just a tiny bit on the roots)
-Jamaican Black Castor oil on nape hair and hair around the temples.

End of challenge goal:
Between APL and BSL

Post a starting length picture:
I'll be taking out my current install around the first week of June and will post pics after my relaxer.

Last edited:
has anyone left their weave in for 4-5 months and been fine?

I'm going for 4 months for the first time. I lasted 10 weeks for my first install and I'm at 10 weeks again. I know Ediese has done 4 months and so does Pamera (well Pamera goes hard and goes 6 months sometimes. I posted her Fotki a couple pages back. I'm following her regimen more or less.

also, what is the best way to take down a weave and treatment right after and for the first month being weavless? thanks x

I take down my cornrows, section my hair into 4, and start to detangle and add conditioner to each section. I use a medium sized comb and HE HH. I let that sit and have my hair marinate under a shower cap. I'll detangle some more before I shampoo and DC (first with a light protein conditioner like Aphogee 2 Minute and then a moisturizing conditioner) while my hair is still in sections. It's a process but prevents any matting and breakage. I use a protein conditioner and then do a steam treatment with a moisturizing conditioner before I install again.

I'll be joining for the second half! I'll make my starting post after I buy my hair. I'm in senegalese twists now....for my two-year on June 13th, I'll get a blowout then go into a weave when it gets old. Still trying to decide on a CV or AAMH for my kinky curly. I've been on BHM more than LHCF the past few days (feeling real traitor-ish). I'll keep that till fall, then do a kinky straight or light yaki....heck, maybe even a wavy if I'm feeling frisky.

I'm going for 4 months for the first time. I lasted 10 weeks for my first install and I'm at 10 weeks again. I know Ediese has done 4 months and so does Pamera (well Pamera goes hard and goes 6 months sometimes. I posted her Fotki a couple pages back. I'm following her regimen more or less.

I take down my cornrows, section my hair into 4, and start to detangle and add conditioner to each section. I use a medium sized comb and HE HH. I let that sit and have my hair marinate under a shower cap. I'll detangle some more before I shampoo and DC (first with a light protein conditioner like Aphogee 2 Minute and then a moisturizing conditioner) while my hair is still in sections. It's a process but prevents any matting and breakage. I use a protein conditioner and then do a steam treatment with a moisturizing conditioner before I install again.

thanks so much hon!! can i use oil to detangle too? for the lip effect?

Ok so Im looking at CV for brazilian wavy hair, any experiences with CV's I found one on ebay Im really interested in but IDK I need help! Im getting hair today, all my hair guru's please help me!

Ok, I ordered my Bohyme Brazilian today....14", 1 pack in a #4. I am tempted to color it to match this:

124j9li.jpg

I will leave out a small horseshoe and a 1/2" perimeter. I also have some Malaysian kinky straight I will be getting next month from a member on BHM and keeping for my fall install.

6 months (1st from June 24 - Sept 24, 2nd from Oct 24 - Jan 24)

Regimen:
*curly hair -- cowash every 2-3 days, alternating b/w moisture and protein conditioners as needed; shampoo every 2 weeks or so; retighten as needed.
*straight hair -- wash and DC every 2 weeks; moisturize 2x/wk. minimal heat on leave-out.

1st weave -- HE HH, Aussie Moist, VO5, Garnier conditioners; Cantu and jojoba oil as a leave-in
2nd weave -- haven't decided yet

End of challenge goal:
full MBL (currently going for MBL by October 2010)

I'll get back to you on June 13th....

Ok so Im looking at CV for brazilian wavy hair, any experiences with CV's I found one on ebay Im really interested in but IDK I need help! Im getting hair today, all my hair guru's please help me!

I have no experience with CVs but I would look at the seller's rating and their return/ exchange policy. Good luck!

Please add me to the second half of this challenge. My first challenge EVER :yay:

I wore braids for over a year, I kept taking down one or two braids to check for progress, and at the end of it all, was not impressed with my progress. Now, I plan on wearing weaves back to back for the rest of the year; helps me keep my hands outta my hair; we'll see how it goes.

6 months

Regimen:
Wash entire weave every 2 weeks; co-wash 'leave-out' hair at least 3 times a week ( or as often as I work-out
spray corn rows everyday with braids spray and infusium 23

Shampoo: Cowboy magic rosewater shampoo, or AG moisturizing shampoo
Conditioner: Cowboy magic rosewater conditioner

End of challenge goal: Full APL :pray::pray:

Post a starting length picture: I'll post a pic at the end of may, when I take out my current install

Last edited:
I'm in! This will be my first challenge ((I've been lurking off and on for the past year)). I'll be back this weekend with my starting length pics and regimen -- but don't plan on getting a sew in until mid June. I relaxed my hair 2 weeks ago and would like to wait until I'm 6 weeks post before my install.

Clearing Throat.... Attention Ladies! I know many of us have been in a groove with our installs and on auto-pilot but it's almost 6 months into the Challenge! :yay: This means PROGRESS UPDATES! Tell us how you're doing. Growth? Set Backs? Pictures to share? Success Stories?

The challenge is also open to anyone who would like to participate for the second half of 2010. :grin: The second half starts June 15 and ends January 15.​
Hi loulou,

I'm so new to this website. I wanna join the weave challenge. Can you let me know what I need to do. I just recently got a sewin two weeks ago. Thanks in advance!

ree.denise

Hi loulou,

I'm so new to this website. I wanna join the weave challenge. Can you let me know what I need to do. I just recently got a sewin two weeks ago. Thanks in advance!

ree.denise

Welcome to the board and to the challenge! :grin: There's some starting info on the first page (first post). Copy and past in your answers. That's it. Keep us up to date on your progress and ask any questions concerning your install and hair here.

Im in!!!!!!!!!!

6 months

Regimen:
Moisturize every other day
Wash and DC once a week

Hair under weave:
Cantu Shampoo and Conditioner

Leave out hair:
IC Fantasia Heat Protectant
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Repair Creme

Weave:
I’m not sure what products I’ll use, any suggestions……
End of challenge goal:
APL (by December 2010)

Here is a pic of my Sewn - May 7, 2010. I’ll leave this in until the end of
June. More pics coming soon!!!

Attachments

• 050910212825.jpg
    050910212825.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 29
I'm back in the challenge.... for the second half. I will have to update my reggie later. I kinda dropped out due to some issues with the hair I had ordered. I should have it within the next two weeks.

Im in for the 2nd half...I will be following the same regimen...however, this time Im shooting for 4 months b4 take down:)

^^ how long do you normally keep your installs in, if you dont mind me asking? i am trying to figure out if 3 months is still a reasonable time to keep one in. i am currently on week five and i havent washed it yet? :blush:, im nervous about the matting, i wanted to know if i wash it, it doesnt necessarily mean it will matt up, just as long as i detangle during the takedown before the wash? HHG thanks

Beautiful install ree.denise. What hair did you use?

Woohoo! Scarcity is going going 4 months too. Have you gone that long before? I'm at 11 weeks so far in this install.

ZkittyKurls: I went 10 weeks the first time and now I'm going to try 4 months. If all works out I'll continue with 4 months for my next install too. Three months is very reasonable (and advisable). I know I'm pushing it by going 4 months.

AllTris: What was wrong with the hair?

The hair I used is called Adorable - I LOVE this hair!!! It's very cheap ($12.99 12in pack), it never tangles and blends well with my hair.

How often do you normally wash your hair? i just dont want to wash it too much and matting starts to happen..:perplexed

Beautiful install ree.denise. What hair did you use?

Woohoo! Scarcity is going going 4 months too. Have you gone that long before? I'm at 11 weeks so far in this install.

ZkittyKurls: I went 10 weeks the first time and now I'm going to try 4 months. If all works out I'll continue with 4 months for my next install too. Three months is very reasonable (and advisable). I know I'm pushing it by going 4 months.

AllTris: What was wrong with the hair?

Im on my final run with Bo Braz....this hair is pretty effin awesome... this is install numero 3 with the same hair and I am quite happy :)

I am also kind of happy June 15th aint that far away...I kind of miss my hair :( I left it out for 2 weeks between installs and was sad to weave up again. I think I may leave this intall in through the 4th of july...who knows...

How often do you normally wash your hair? i just dont want to wash it too much and matting starts to happen..:perplexed

I'm limiting the amount of water on my hair. For my first install I was all about the moisture (once or twice a day) and washing (every 2 weeks). Now, I moisturize my cornrows very lightly once a week. I use witch hazel and swab between my cornrows with a cotton ball once a week. I've shampooed washed once so far. I don't have a shampoo schedule anymore. If I worked out or sweated a lot I don't think my new regimen would be as effective though. I'll see in 5 weeks how well my hair did this go around.

Well, I am hanging in tough but it has not been easy lately. My first installs done by Jehan were wonderful, and lasted forever and looked so natural, plus she is a stylist so when I left her chair, I didnt need to fuss with anything.

For my last install I had to go with someone else and I am hoping to make it to 8 weeks... My headbands are workin overtime, its like I am wearing a half wig :lachen:on top of that I think I have suffered a setback in some areas:perplexed

Next time I know I need a beehive pattern and not straight back....

I am still in love with AAMH kinky curly, this last time I sewed the wefts to reinforce them and have honestly had no shedding whatsoever. I still use Aussie moist to detangle when necessary, but I do not have the Hairveda products in heavy rotation like I did when I first started, but I should probably take another look at at that. My perimeter is literally the same length as when I started the challenge, which sucks b/c my goal was to have my temples grow in at least a little - they are naturally short and thin so it makes installs a little challenging. :ohwell:

my hair is so ridiculously fine and I have been babying it but I am getting more than a little frustrated to be honest.

Im on my final run with Bo Braz....this hair is pretty effin awesome... this is install numero 3 with the same hair and I am quite happy :)

I am also kind of happy June 15th aint that far away...I kind of miss my hair :( I left it out for 2 weeks between installs and was sad to weave up again. I think I may leave this intall in through the 4th of july...who knows...
are there pics of your bobraz in this thread? i just jumped in, but this is what i ordered. if not, can you PM them to me?

does anyone in here have experience with kinky straight hair? the girl i am buying from wants to sell me 8oz, but in HER VERY OWN THREAD she said that she is only using 4 and splitting the wefts!!! the problem is, she has never worn it before, and i'd like to hear from someone who has had it installed. i do hear that the wefts will need to be spread out more since it is kinky hair and gets BIG....but i just don't know yet. i asked a few BHMers with kinky straight installs....like these, but they haven't gotten back to me yet:

http://public.fotki.com/natosha99/kevincn-kinky-straight/

http://public.fotki.com/alynxx/hair-progress-and-h/hair-dos-i-have-tri-1/page14.html

how do you ladies co-wash your installs, maybe it's just me but i always get water on my scalp so just end up normal washing, but would really like to know as i know it helps for curly installs to help tame them

Hi all! I will be joining this challenge for the next few months. I ordered some bobraz for an install with micros on the perimeter and horseshoe. I ordered it on the 20th and hope it gets here before my graduation next week. My next install after that will probably be aamh kc and after that halley's curl natural. I may repeat that same sequence. I hope to get at least 2 or 3 uses out of all that hair lol

My new install: Halley's Curls Miami Relaxed :grin:

(I think I'll make a thread about it, I'm already in love)

MR1.jpg

(please ignore the mean mug, I'm actually quite happy and delightful today :))

MR2.jpg

Back