Weave It Up Challenge 2010

Urrm ManeVixen I need to know the deets on that hair asap, my fall install depends on it lol! Your hair is beeauutiful!!!

I'm in =)
my weave came today, and I'm getting installed on saturday
i'll add my other stuff later. i'm getting it on a weave cap. I got saga french remy. im really excited!!!

Can I be added to the second half of this challenge? Im already weaved up:grin:

weave.jpg

IMG00363-20100525-1639.jpg

IMG00367-20100525-1842.jpg
[/QUOT

how much hair did you leave out

Last edited:
Hey girls, I'm baaack!
I'm going into another install this week. Same type of hair, same m.o. I;m going to start with long then cut into another bob towards the end. I'm going to follow my usual regimen of washing & moisturizing every Thursday. This may be my last (or second to last) install before I hit my goal of MBL. I've been weave free since March and I wanted to rest my hair for this next install. I'll be weaving up until October.

This time I plan to be less lazy with it and try new styles more often. Like braid outs, crimping, flexi rods, everything to get as many looks out of them as possible. I'll post pics of my new install when I get it.

***For LADIES that CO-WASH while in weaves***

Are you wearing straight hair or curly hair??? I was always hesistant to do this,( I wear straight weaves) because I would need to blow dry and flat iron the leave more frequently...

I wash weekly/deep condition weekly while in a weave...My leave out is 100% natural- no relaxer!

Last edited:
Is anyone else going the ultra-low-manipulation route of washing infrequently (like every 2 weeks)?

I missed my usual wash day and ended up waiting 10 days between washes. Normally my scalp would be driving me crazy (I usually wash 1x a week and co-wash 1x a week when not in a weave), but I'm totally fine. I still moisturize every couple days (a mix of care free curl, water, coconut oil, aphogee pro-vitamin leave-in, and a couple drops of peppermint oil).

I'm just wondering how much harm would be done if I were to just leave it alone and wash every 2 weeks or so....:look:

Barbie: I'm an infrequent washer. I moisturize with a spray that doesn't cause build up and I don't sweat in my head so it works for me. I'm very hands off when it comes to my installs and hair underneath.

Sithembile: WELCOME TO THE CHALLENGE!

***For LADIES that CO-WASH while in weaves***

Are you wearing straight hair or curly hair??? I was always hesistant to do this,( I wear straight weaves) because I would need to blow dry and flat iron the leave more frequently...

I wash weekly/deep condition weekly while in a weave...My leave out is 100% natural- no relaxer!
If you're natural and wearing straight weaves, I wouldn't recommend cowashing....you said it yourself, you'll have to manipulate your leaveout more. I'll be cowashing in my curly hair, but not my kinky straight.
Is anyone else going the ultra-low-manipulation route of washing infrequently (like every 2 weeks)?

I missed my usual wash day and ended up waiting 10 days between washes. Normally my scalp would be driving me crazy (I usually wash 1x a week and co-wash 1x a week when not in a weave), but I'm totally fine. I still moisturize every couple days (a mix of care free curl, water, coconut oil, aphogee pro-vitamin leave-in, and a couple drops of peppermint oil).

I'm just wondering how much harm would be done if I were to just leave it alone and wash every 2 weeks or so....:look:
I'm doing that with my second sew-in.

I'd love to join this challenge! I've had two weaves since March and am gearing up for my next install next week. I just took it out yesterday. Thankfully I've regained some of my length noticeably since March. (but I need help with my ends, they seem a bit thin...not full and blunt)

I'm transitioning to natural and plan to weave it and leave until year's end... and I'm sure this challenge will help me better care for my hair during the install period.

I'm looking for a style with little to no leave out. I just removed wet n wavy, which normally works for me, but this time, my leave out seemed so dry! and it was hard to keep the edges smooth and the new growth flat (with my natural waves, it didn't really sync with the wet n wavy). All over spiral curls are a great look, but too hot in the summer (I need to be able to pull my hair in a pony tail or pin it up, and/or be able to get it wet)

I'm reconsidering relaxed texture or Naturally curly from EP or Relaxed texture from Wagmans, but am concerned about my leave out with the summer heat and humidity. Any ideas??

The pic in my signature is from April, I need to take a new pic before my next install next week.

I'm doing the same. I just use a washcloth near the part. Plan on washing every2 weeks. I did a co wash on the hair though. Working out fine so far.

Question: Do you really have to let the hair 'rest' if you're natural and don't add extension hair. Thriving naturals I've seen and my experience as a little girl,point to NO. My hair was never 'out'. Washed, conditioned braids. When my hair grew fastest, I was always in plaits under a wig. Do you rest your hair between weaves?

Urrm ManeVixen I need to know the deets on that hair asap, my fall install depends on it lol! Your hair is beeauutiful!!!

Sorry Polished07 Im just seeing this, my hair is 12' Velvet deep wave and it blends very well, held up at the beach but Ive had it in for a month now at it just tangles and shed pretty bad:nono: I dont know what caused it but I cant say I have the best weave care practices:look:

Yep that's me:yep::yep::yep:

I did it! Yay :) Jun 15th marks the end of the 6 month portion of this challenge! I survived lol

I saw some good growth during these 6 months I went from full SL to APL. I still plan to PS I just will not be committing to any strict PS challenges.

I do plan to do another install in july for swimming convenience this summer so I will pop back in this challenge occassionally :)

best of luck to the rest of you still weaving it up!

Hey you guys!!
It seems it's too late for me to join this challenge,and I'm not a weaver so I would want to see how this install works out for me befor I commit anyway,but can someone help me anyway?:look:

This is going to be my 2nd weave ever. The first one my sis did last year,and i couldn't take it and started bc'ing my edges:lachen:. I took it down after two weeks,and fully bc'ed. I didn't like it.

My hair is growing and micro braids officially suck for what I have going on,so I'm gonna get a weave.

What size are your cornrows normally? I am just thinking that if they are too thin,then the thread will just aggravate them and my hair will break. I'm terrified of that,and my sis is doing it and she can be a pain if she doesn't think I know what I'm talking about. Granted I don't but i know what i don't want.
Can someone puhleeezeeeee help me????

I'll be eyeballing this thread and hopefully joining if i can sack up and stick to it.

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?6 months (weave installed 6/4/10)

Regimen:Co-wash with Marc Anthony Strictly Curls weekly, then seal conrows with glycerin/olive oil/castor oil/water solution. Oil my braids and scalp with castor oil, coconut oil, or shea butter every 3-4 days. Plan to deep condition once/month.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: see previous
Hair under weave: see previous

Leave out hair: No hair left out- completley weaved up!

End of challenge goal:I just BC'd, so I only have 3.5" stretched. I hope to be Chin Length by by December 2010!

Post a starting length picture:

Attachments

• EH hair 6-1-10.JPG
    EH hair 6-1-10.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 25
  • EH NYC Weave Hair 6-12-10 edited.JPG
    EH NYC Weave Hair 6-12-10 edited.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 41
Hello everyone I would like to join I already have my install had it in for about a month and a half so far I am hopefully getting it done over in July will take a starting pic then.

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months:
Officially with this thread 6 months

Regimen:
Wash day on sunday using either sulfate free poo or hairone clarifying as needed. Co wash midweek on wednesday. DC after each wash with a conditioner and oil mix.

Moisturize about 3 days seal leave out with oils.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
For washing -Aubreys Organics Honey suckle rose moisturizing poo or Hair one olive oil formula

For Co washes- Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Hair One olive oil formula

For moisturizer leave in- KCKT, Aphogee provitamin leave in. Seal with oil jojoba or coconut oil

Leave Out:I have a horseshoe leave out and all my perimeter is left out as well

End of challenge goal:Apl and to continue transitioning to natural 12 mos post now

Post a starting length picture:I am in an install now will hopefully be able to post a pic in July before I get my next install. Here is an install pic
bobrazonme.jpg

Last edited:
1267425388245.jpg
MY HAIR :drunk:

2010-06-17 19.35.41.jpg
MILKY WAY 8 " INSTALL (I DID IT MYSELF) YAY ME!!!!
131622.jpg
INSTALL AGAIN

hopefully its not too late to sign up but im installing my weave today and when complete i will post a pic

Last edited:
I finally got my install! It was crazy finding a weaveologist that would actually listen to my particularities, but I got one. She wasn't too professional (I mean, we were at her house and her kids were climbing all over me), but it turned out well. I was concerned if one pack would be enough, but it turned out great -- no splitting required. More pics are in my fotki.

Specs
Bohyme Brazilian (BoBraz), 14", #4
1 pack, sealed with Dritz
zigzag braiding pattern, perimeter all around.

Maintenance
cowash as needed with whatever
add Cantu leave-in and Noodle Head to control poof factor

102_1357-vi.jpg

hair unwashed and sealed

IMG00073201006152123-vi.jpg

braiding pattern (outside braid is perimeter)

IMG00077201006152220-vi.jpg

untamed

102_1364-vi.jpg

color....i am leaning towards putting the same reddish demi-perm i have in my hair in it.

102_1373-vi.jpg

IMG00083201006152343-vi.jpg

i may end up cutting it.

hey ladies, i wont be joining this challenge but i wanted to know if its ok that i lurk. i am currently installed in a weave and i like to chime in every once in a while for encouragement and tips...good luck ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was planning on keeping my weave in for 5 weeks but compared to you ladies its like imma punk! :lachen:

Do you think 5 weeks is enough to get a good amount of growth or should i try to push it to 6 to 8 weeks???

Plus this is the first time im getting weave and going to pay attentiont o my hair underneath but the wholeprocess seems like its going to take sooo long....and how do you dry your hair after?

I finally got my install! It was crazy finding a weaveologist that would actually listen to my particularities, but I got one. She wasn't too professional (I mean, we were at her house and her kids were climbing all over me), but it turned out well. I was concerned if one pack would be enough, but it turned out great -- no splitting required. More pics are in my fotki.

Specs
Bohyme Brazilian (BoBraz), 14", #4
1 pack, sealed with Dritz
zigzag braiding pattern, perimeter all around.

Maintenance
cowash as needed with whatever
add Cantu leave-in and Noodle Head to control poof factor

102_1357-vi.jpg

hair unwashed and sealed

IMG00077201006152220-vi.jpg

untamed

102_1364-vi.jpg

color....i am leaning towards putting the same reddish demi-perm i have in my hair in it.

The hair looks soo soft! The blending is perfect too. :yep:

I was planning on keeping my weave in for 5 weeks but compared to you ladies its like imma punk! :lachen:

Do you think 5 weeks is enough to get a good amount of growth or should i try to push it to 6 to 8 weeks???

Plus this is the first time im getting weave and going to pay attentiont o my hair underneath but the wholeprocess seems like its going to take sooo long....and how do you dry your hair after?

You should stick with 5 weeks and then assess your hair. If your hair is taken care of and the install doesn't look bad you can then add one more week at a time. I keep my install in because my hair grows at a snail's pace and I wouldn't see noticeable growth at 5 weeks.

I missed your question. My braids are about the same size at lil sparkles. That's a good size and when your sister uses the thread tell her not to pull it too taunt. No need to suffocate the cornrows. lol. You want your install to be secure and sturdy but not tight.

Hey you guys!!
It seems it's too late for me to join this challenge,and I'm not a weaver so I would want to see how this install works out for me befor I commit anyway,but can someone help me anyway?:look:

This is going to be my 2nd weave ever. The first one my sis did last year,and i couldn't take it and started bc'ing my edges:lachen:. I took it down after two weeks,and fully bc'ed. I didn't like it.

My hair is growing and micro braids officially suck for what I have going on,so I'm gonna get a weave.

What size are your cornrows normally? I am just thinking that if they are too thin,then the thread will just aggravate them and my hair will break. I'm terrified of that,and my sis is doing it and she can be a pain if she doesn't think I know what I'm talking about. Granted I don't but i know what i don't want.
Can someone puhleeezeeeee help me????

I'll be eyeballing this thread and hopefully joining if i can sack up and stick to it.

i am in for the most part i will be in half wigs until my hair arrives HOPEFULLY SOON!!!!!!!
I HAVE A CONSULTATION ON THE 23RD

I finally received my Kinky Straight from a chinese vendor (ordered back in March.... long story).

Anyhow, I washed the hair, split the wefts and installed it last night. I was up to 3AM doing my hair.

I'll still need to work on my reggie!

I finally received my Kinky Straight from a chinese vendor (ordered back in March.... long story).

Anyhow, I washed the hair, split the wefts and installed it last night. I was up to 3AM doing my hair.

I'll still need to work on my reggie!
ooh, will you be posting pics? my next install will be malaysian kinky straight.

Back