Weave It Up Challenge 2010

The reggie sounds good scarcity. I only moisturize a couple times a week witha spray concoction too. I've shampooed the weave but not my own hair. I picked up the minimum pooing from pamera on fotki. She keeps her weaves in 4 to 5 months without matting. She's a 4ab natural. She grew her hair to WL using weaves.

Hello! i am not apart of this challenge but i currently have a weave during my transition. i have a question to you professional weave wearers, how often should i moisturize my scalp? i dont plan to wash to often, but i have a full sew in so reaching my scalp to oil it gets annoying sometimes. thank you and KUTGW

The reggie sounds good scarcity. I only moisturize a couple times a week witha spray concoction too. I've shampooed the weave but not my own hair. I picked up the minimum pooing from pamera on fotki. She keeps her weaves in 4 to 5 months without matting. She's a 4ab natural. She grew her hair to WL using weaves.

whoa...I may have to try going that long...lol...how long did it take her to reach WL? how long does she go inbetween weaves or does she weave back to back? i need her fotki link...TIA

Hello! i am not apart of this challenge but i currently have a weave during my transition. i have a question to you professional weave wearers, how often should i moisturize my scalp? i dont plan to wash to often, but i have a full sew in so reaching my scalp to oil it gets annoying sometimes. thank you and KUTGW

Initially I was very diligent with moisturizing my hair (once or twice a day with my spray mix). Now I moisturize about 3 times a week sparingly (if that). My hair doesn't need much. I've had my hair weaved since December 22, 2009 with a 3 day break and re-install in March. No setbacks and my new growth is coming in very nicely. I do swab my scalp with witch hazel and a cotton swab to remove excess dirt and oil but I don't apply products to my scalp. Don't want build up since I'm keeping my weave in 3-4 months.

whoa...I may have to try going that long...lol...how long did it take her to reach WL? how long does she go inbetween weaves or does she weave back to back? i need her fotki link...TIA

Here's her Fotki link. Her weave regimen is in her "Journal".
http://members.fotki.com/Pamera/about/. I stand corrected; she's not full WL yet. Pretty close though. She leaves no hair out.

Last edited:
I took out my weave today, and am one month ahead in doing so. My relaxer is tomorrow morning. I did a length check, and its looking pretty good.

I haven't checked in her since forever, but I am still going strong. I had a reinstall about 4 weeks ago using the AAMH kinky curly but I cut it shorter this time and I really love it and have receoved many compliments. My hair is really growing quicker this time, I am hoping to make it to 8 weeks but at this rate I am not so sure.

I tried something different with teh wefts this time - insteda of using Dritz to seal, I actually reinforden the wefts on my sewing machine. It seems to have worked well, I have very minimal shedding. The first time I used kinky curly I didnt seal and the shedding was ridiculous:perplexed

I have been having good results detangling the weave hair with aussie moist conditioner in the shower. On my hair I have been using a variety of oils on my scalp every other days or so, but mosly the Gro Aut oil and/or Afroveda's Hibiscus Hair oil. JBCO has been working wonders on my edges for real:yep:

I have just restarted using Megatek, I am going to slap some condish in my hair today and do yardwork, it should work as a great DC as it is suppossed to reach 90.

/\ Do you have pics of your AAMH? :look: I'm thinking of cutting my install shorter for Fall.

My UpDaTe: I made it to 8 weeks. Pushing for 16. Yup 16 weeks. :grin: New pics are in my Fotki (they aren't loading properly to LHCF).

hey ladiesss its been a minute.. but this has been a great challenge for me.. no set backs.. hair is thick, full and even.. and healthy.. im going to post pics soon stay tuned

Hi, couldn't join the challenge cos I found out too late so I'm just lurking. Can someone please tell me what "sealing the weft" means? Thank you :)

Sealing the weft is reinforcing the tracks so that they are more sturdy and there is less chance of the hair shedding. Without shedding the tracks won't thin out and your more likely to be able to use the hair for multiple installs. Sealing can be done with products like Dritz Fray, Fray Block, or a sewing machine. I've heard of ladies even using super glue and nail polish. But I don't know how effective that would be. Try typing in "sealing wefts" into YouTube and some videos will pop up.

Hey ladies still in my sew in will be taking my hair down this Friday so my hair can rest for a week before my relaxer, I went to NY this past weekend and had a ball, here is a pic of my current install its 18, 20 inches of virgin indian hair and I just had my stylist press my roots and hair...anyway Ill be weave free from the 7th until the 28th when I go to Miami, looking for a nice indian curly to rock while Im down there to kick off the summer with, whats your fav curly, I like WAGS but Im afraid of nats, I cant deal with that pressure and other curlies yall like, I dont want my miami ripple relaxed I need something a little lighter and not as coarse, ladies thanks in advance ;)
view.php

Sealing the weft is reinforcing the tracks so that they are more sturdy and there is less chance of the hair shedding. Without shedding the tracks won't thin out and your more likely to be able to use the hair for multiple installs. Sealing can be done with products like Dritz Fray, Fray Block, or a sewing machine. I've heard of ladies even using super glue and nail polish. But I don't know how effective that would be. Try typing in "sealing wefts" into YouTube and some videos will pop up.

Thanks a lot. I wish I'd known this before putting in my weave. The shedding has been ridiculous and I feel like a cat. Ah well, at least I know now for next time.

I'm not in the challenge, but I am currently weaved up.

Ladies what do you use to combat humidity. Please chime in, if your in the SE or South Florida or somewhere hot and steamy. I wrap it most of the time, but it falls flat. I bump it with a Sedu, it falls flat. I curl it with a nice size curling iron, it falls flat.

Help!

My stylist cancelled my appt last weekend do I am not in my last install yet. One more month to go... I got the Outre Premium Indian Wet & Wavy hair? I was gonna get it cut in a bob. I will have to get it installed this week hopefully.

I'm mad cus the hair is not as nice as bobraz - that's the one I really wanted.

I'm struggling with my leave out hair. I've had to flatiron it too many times, I think. Think I'll try rollersetting it first. I don't know if that will be enough...it has to be straight, and I have a lot of new growth.

Also, I think I put too much Sabino on my weave hair, because it looks a little greasy after this last wash/style.

Thinking of taking out my weave because I want to cut off my relaxed ends now. I don't know how much more I can take of it.

I'm not in the challene but I've been weaving for a little bit now! Can't wait to wear my own hair in summer :grin:.

Some pics over the last few months of my weaves. I self install which is the cheapest method for me because i get so bored easily! Plus in London many stylist have no clue what they're doing!
I use a sturdy weaving net which cuts down on the install time. I used to use sensationnel but that stuff is expensive and does not hold up past a week!
I'm soo glad I found Remy hair:grin:.
50075984@N04

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50075984@N04/?s
Some pics of my installs

Last edited:
Ladies! Three weeks ago, I took down my install and relaxed and conditioned my hair. Now I have been on top of my regime the entire time that I have been wearing weaves. I was very dissappointed. My hair looked really anorexic! I mean super thin! I had a lot of ends. I felt like all the growth was nothing but dead ends! Has anyone had this experience and if so what did you do or what do you reccommend?

Ladies! Three weeks ago, I took down my install and relaxed and conditioned my hair. Now I have been on top of my regime the entire time that I have been wearing weaves. I was very dissappointed. My hair looked really anorexic! I mean super thin! I had a lot of ends. I felt like all the growth was nothing but dead ends! Has anyone had this experience and if so what did you do or what do you reccommend?

How soon before your initial install did you relax? Were the cornrows tight? How long did you keep the install in? I haven't experienced so I'm wondering what the cause was. I say let your hair rest. My hair always looked limp right after a relaxer but looked better by week 1 and 2. :grouphug3:

Clearing Throat.... Attention Ladies! I know many of us have been in a groove with our installs and on auto-pilot but it's almost 6 months into the Challenge! :yay: This means PROGRESS UPDATES! Tell us how you're doing. Growth? Set Backs? Pictures to share? Success Stories?

The challenge is also open to anyone who would like to participate for the second half of 2010. :grin: The second half starts June 15 and ends January 15.​

Yay for the 2nd half! :yay: I'm soooo in, starting at the end of May.
Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?
6 months

Regimen:
Wear install for 2 months, with one week in between
Aphogee 2 step plus deep moisture treatment during "off" week
Moisturize every other day
Wash with diluted shampoo/instant conditioner once a week
Deep condition (moisture) once a week with heat

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
Hair under weave:
-Moisturizing Spray (African Royale, Talijah Waajid Protective Bodifier, Shescentit Moisture Mist, or Bee Mine Juicy Spritz - I can't decide which one I'll buy!)
-homemade oil concoction (coconut oil + peppermint oil and/or rosemary oil, for itchies/scalp stimulation)

Leave out hair:
-Elasta QP Mango Butter + Olive Oil
-Coconut oil
-serum for heat protectact (chi, organix, or fhi hotsauce)

End of challenge goal:
BSL (by December 2010)

Post a starting length picture:
I'll take pics in 10 days :grin:

As I hang my head in shame, I enter to report a setback in the WORSE WAY! I wore my installs from January to May with 1 rebraid in between. I took out my braids and did a length check. I just KNEW my hair would be swanging at APL. Lo and behold after all was said and done, I have APL on the sides of my hair...the back middle is SL!! The stylist that I went to was pregnant (is there any truth to that myth). She talked about healthy hair, but her practices were not. She detangled with fine toothed comb, didn't use protein condish, braided too tight, and *gulp* pulled the relaxer to the ends (good thing I'm texlaxed). I feel bad because I've referred a couple of members here to her.

I'm tempted to either cut it all to SL, keep it PS'd, or have tracks sewn into the middle back area. #kanyeshrug. For now I've been bunning and half-wigging. I feel another six month setback. My hair was fine before I let these last two 'healthy hair' stylists touch it.

just an update, i'm on my 3rd install, using bss Divine Curls by Sleek, am happy with it but it will not last long, will stretch till 6 weeks possibly.

will bring lead in so that i can update with pics and show installs to date

Progress update!!! Still going strong with my weave regimen ;) I just got a relaxer friday and I must say my hair is growing, the sewin's and stretching have really dont my hair justice, I got a great trim to reup for the next 4-5 months when I relax sometime around Sept/October, Ive gained some growth I cant say how much but I have a good 4 inches until I touch BSL stretched. HHG ladies, Im sorry to hear about the setbacks some of you are getting :(, Im kind of scared bc Ill be getting a sewin for my trip to Miami in 2 wks and I dont want my hair to break so I think Ill do a hard protein tx (aphogee) just in case before hand. Wish you ladies luck and HHG :)

Last edited:
Oh the reason why I came in here in the first place was to see where everybody was ordering there curly virgin hair from I need some for my trip, I was thinking Wags but they didnt have any in at the time, I dont want to do Laniks bc my last hair from them I got had nats, I hear mixed reviews from Indianhair.net though. Help a sista out! ;)

Count me in:grin::grin:

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?
6 months

Regimen:
I leave my weaves in for about 2months.
I don't usually wash or condition:perplexed ( I know I know) But since joining LHCF I will now wash with diluted shampoo/conditioner every two weeks and Deep condition every time I re-install.
I will also mositurize 2-3 times a week

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:

• Shampoo - Aussie Miracle Moist
  • Condition - Aphogee Pro-Vitamin
  • Leave-in Conditioner and Moisturizer - Alt between Hawaiian Silky 14 in1 (my hair loves this at the moment) and Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Daily Spritz
  • DC - Hydratherma Naturals Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment

Leave out hair:
All tucked in.

End of challenge goal:
  • APL (by December 2010)
  • Retention
  • Eliminate my overly dry hair

Post a starting length picture:
Coming soon!!!!!

Back